Falls Creek Lessons

Falls Creek Lessons has long been one of my favorite stories.

It is an excellent and well-written journey through the trials and tribulations of coming to terms with oneself, and the world around you. An underlying theme seems to be trust.

Graeme used a technique I've never seen before (or since) and used HTML sub-pages to give us a window on some of the characters inner thoughts.

• Site Administrator

I have to admit that when I first wrote it, it was to experiment with the technique that C James mentioned. However, I seem to have this problem with letting the story take over from the technology.... :P I don't know if I'd ever do another story like that. It would have to be the right sort of story, as it doesn't lend itself to all genres or styles.

Having said that, I'm still happy that I let the storytelling drive what I was doing, rather than the other way around.

I have to admit that when I first wrote it, it was to experiment with the technique that C James mentioned. However, I seem to have this problem with letting the story take over from the technology.... :P I don't know if I'd ever do another story like that. It would have to be the right sort of story, as it doesn't lend itself to all genres or styles.

Having said that, I'm still happy that I let the storytelling drive what I was doing, rather than the other way around.

I have always (ever since I saw the first few chapters posted) wanted to ask you how you felt that worked. It was certainly very imaginative, and a unique way to get around the "pick one voice" problem.

Personally, I have a hunch that such technical aids to writing are going to become more commonplace. However, I wouldn't want to use such a technique and then try and have a paperback made from it, as that might be a bit tricky. :read:

I very much liked the way the story took over and did not rely on the technique.

How real is the description of the Falls Creek ski area? I'm going to be very upset if it is largely fictional, as it sounds like somewhere I'd very much like to visit someday. :funny:

• Site Administrator
I have always (ever since I saw the first few chapters posted) wanted to ask you how you felt that worked. It was certainly very imaginative, and a unique way to get around the "pick one voice" problem.

Personally, I have a hunch that such technical aids to writing are going to become more commonplace. However, I wouldn't want to use such a technique and then try and have a paperback made from it, as that might be a bit tricky. :read:

I very much liked the way the story took over and did not rely on the technique.

How real is the description of the Falls Creek ski area? I'm going to be very upset if it is largely fictional, as it sounds like somewhere I'd very much like to visit someday. :funny:

I think it worked well, but it was also a gimmick. I think the technique has a lot of potential for internet-based stories, but I'll say now that it's a pain for the site admins. Falls Creek Lessons was only ten chapters, an epilogue and an afterword, and that was well over 200 HTML files! I haven't been tempted to do another one like that, but if I found the right subject you never know....

The description of Falls Creek is accurate for the time period specified. A lot of the lifts have changed since then, and the ski-lift employee accomodation has moved from where it is depicted in the story. I stayed in that accomodation for a weekend once (my brother-in-law was working up there), but I misremembered some of the details. Overall, though, it's as accurate as I can remember. I haven't been back there for over ten years, so I'm sure a lot has changed. The Frying Pan and The Man are still there, according to the Falls Creek website.

I think it worked well, but it was also a gimmick. I think the technique has a lot of potential for internet-based stories, but I'll say now that it's a pain for the site admins. Falls Creek Lessons was only ten chapters, an epilogue and an afterword, and that was well over 200 HTML files! I haven't been tempted to do another one like that, but if I found the right subject you never know....

That would indeed be a pain on the tech side!

It would have come across as a gimmick to me *IF* the story relied on it. However, it didn't, so i found it fascinating and enriching.

The description of Falls Creek is accurate for the time period specified. A lot of the lifts have changed since then, and the ski-lift employee accomodation has moved from where it is depicted in the story. I stayed in that accomodation for a weekend once (my brother-in-law was working up there), but I misremembered some of the details. Overall, though, it's as accurate as I can remember. I haven't been back there for over ten years, so I'm sure a lot has changed. The Frying Pan and The Man are still there, according to the Falls Creek website.

I was able to view the summit cam, and it looks very much like I pictured it in your story (except there is no snow now). It sounds like a beautiful area to visit. I've been to NSW but the furthest south I went was not far past Canberra.

Say, could you possibly solve a puzzle for me? Why does the Australian Capitol Territory include Jervis Bay on the coast, which isn't contiguous to Canberra? I know it was created so that the Federal Capitol could have access to the sea, but that didn't make much sense to me if it wasn';t contiguous territory? Everything needs to come in via NSW anyway, regardless of whether it lands at Jervis bay or elsewhere?

Hey Graeme

I was very interested in your story for two reasons :

First it's a very nice story and second it's take place in a ski region. As an old skier (we have so many places in Swizerland) I was very astonished that you have also such an opportunity in Australia. So I red you post and went to the site of Falls Creek.

Funny !! It 's looks like at home :2thumbs: But really, how high are your mountains ?

Old bob

Edited by old bob
  • Site Administrator
Say, could you possibly solve a puzzle for me? Why does the Australian Capitol Territory include Jervis Bay on the coast, which isn't contiguous to Canberra? I know it was created so that the Federal Capitol could have access to the sea, but that didn't make much sense to me if it wasn';t contiguous territory? Everything needs to come in via NSW anyway, regardless of whether it lands at Jervis bay or elsewhere?

The Australian Capital Territory was created as a political compromise as neither NSW nor Victoria wanted the other state to hold the national capital. As a political construction, do you really expect it to make sense? :blink:

Hey Graeme

I was very interested in your story for two reasons :

First it's a very nice story and second it's take place in a ski region. As an old skier (we have so many places in Swizerland) I was very astonished that you have also such an opportunity in Australia. So I red you post and went to the site of Falls Creek.

Funny !! It 's looks like at home :2thumbs: But really, how high are your mountains ?

Old bob

One of my old bosses was from Ireland. When she moved to Australia, she sold all her ski gear because she didn't think we'd have snow fields. Now, I'll admit they aren't particularly great because the mountains aren't that high (The highest altitude at Falls Creek is only 1842 metres), but we have some in both Victoria and New South Wales. New Zealand also has some great snow fields, and their mountains are higher, but the only one I've been to is the Whakappa ski fields on the North Island that are mentioned in story. And yes, that does mean I've been skiing on an active volcano, though only for one day. :D

One of my old bosses was from Ireland. When she moved to Australia, she sold all her ski gear because she didn't think we'd have snow fields. Now, I'll admit they aren't particularly great because the mountains aren't that high (The highest altitude at Falls Creek is only 1842 metres), but we have some in both Victoria and New South Wales. New Zealand also has some great snow fields, and their mountains are higher, but the only one I've been to is the Whakappa ski fields on the North Island that are mentioned in story. And yes, that does mean I've been skiing on an active volcano, though only for one day. :D

I've never skied in NZ, but I did visit the three volcanoes a few times. I also climbed three miles of the Franz Josef Glacier. That was weird; seeing palms next to a glacier.

On the way back down I passed a tourist tour group, and one of the tourists had dropped their camera down a crevasse. The guide told them not to worry, because the glacier was a slow-mowing river of ice and the camera would be taken "downstream" to the foot of the Glacier, where the melt would free it from the ice. The tourist was delighted, until the guide added "In about a thousand years". :wacko:

I love the way you are using real locations in "falls creek". It gave it a very real feeling. I loved the characters too; very well done. The one instructor (the one who was always sleeping around and got beaten up) was especially good for a minor character. I loved him!!

Was he by any chance "real"??

• Site Administrator
I love the way you are using real locations in "falls creek". It gave it a very real feeling. I loved the characters too; very well done. The one instructor (the one who was always sleeping around and got beaten up) was especially good for a minor character. I loved him!!

Was he by any chance "real"??

No. Garret is an idealised amalgamation of a number of young guys I've met through my years. There are certainly a number of guys who work at resort type locations that sleep around, and others that have that uncanny charm ability. Promiscuous guys, especially young guys, are common enough that I didn't think he was unrealistic. I just mixed up all the bits and pieces and came up with a nice guy who just ... sleeps around a lot.

No. Garret is an idealised amalgamation of a number of young guys I've met through my years. There are certainly a number of guys who work at resort type locations that sleep around, and others that have that uncanny charm ability. Promiscuous guys, especially young guys, are common enough that I didn't think he was unrealistic. I just mixed up all the bits and pieces and came up with a nice guy who just ... sleeps around a lot.

I thought he was very realistic, but I also felt that the charm really shone through; you showed it, you didn't just say it. It's been a few years since I've read FCL, but I have a re-read planned for my next day off and am looking forward to it very much. (I'm also going to read "new Brother", which I haven't yet.)

For example, I'm awful with names so I've forgotten many of the character's names, but I remember the characters personalities. I'm mentioning this because they were clear enough to make that Strong an impression on me. I can't recall how many years it has been, but I think the story was almost complete when i started, then I came back from a vacation and found the last chapter or two.

• Site Administrator

Most of it was written over the summer of 2004/2005 (that's December/January for you Northern Hemispherian(?) people), and I think the last chapter was posted in April 2005.

Thanks! I have to say I'm flattered. The number of stories that I can remember characters in any detail after 18+ months is very small....

Most of it was written over the summer of 2004/2005 (that's December/January for you Northern Hemispherian(?) people), and I think the last chapter was posted in April 2005.

Thanks! I have to say I'm flattered. The number of stories that I can remember characters in any detail after 18+ months is very small....

My memory is playing tricks on me again: I was sure it was several years ago. But, maybe that was just in Goat years. :sheep:

I was surprised how much I'd forgotten when I started trying to talk about it. I couldn't recall Garret's name, for example, nor remember what exactly it was that Dan wore around his neck or its significance. I remembered it, but not the details. I do remember far more of the story than I normal would after a few months. I am very much looking foward to re-reading it.

I do remember that I was very upset by the last chapter, simply because the story ended. (that's my normal reaction when a story I love ends). It was great. I have to admit that it was a good place to end it, though. (I'd not have agreed with that at the time!).

Well, now I'm thinking I might not even be able to wait until my next day off to re-read FCL! :great:

Hey CJ

You said :I've never skied in NZ, but I did visit the three volcanoes a few times. I also climbed three miles of the Franz Josef Glacier. That was weird; seeing palms next to a glacier. ]

When will you come to Europ ?

Expecting you soon :2thumbs:

Old bob

Edited by old bob
Hey CJ

You said :I've never skied in NZ, but I did visit the three volcanoes a few times. I also climbed three miles of the Franz Josef Glacier. That was weird; seeing palms next to a glacier. ]

When will you come to Europ ?

Expecting you soon :2thumbs:

Old bob

Hi Bob!

It may be a while. I had a huge financial setback (understatement alert!) last year, so I can't really afford much of anything at the moment. Hopefully in a year I can do something.

• Site Administrator
ahhh I finally finished this story. Graeme, your experiment with the inner-thoughts of the characters was a success! I've really enjoyed it. :2thumbs: Thanks for the recommendation guys. And thanks for writing, Graeme. :great:

Thanks :wub: I'm still not sure if it is a gimmick, or a legitimate technique for certain types of stories. It definitely doesn't suit all types of stories.

Thanks :wub: I'm still not sure if it is a gimmick, or a legitimate technique for certain types of stories. It definitely doesn't suit all types of stories.

All I can say is wow!!! This was a wonderful story. It took me two days to tear through it, but I got it done and loved every second of it. And a happy ending! SMOOCH! This should be a movie. Though I know often times movies make mockeries of the story, I just don't see how they could screw this one up.

I remember on several occasions thinking... JUST SAY IT!!!! lol Poor Greg, that was SOOOoo stressful. I did enjoy the spiteful way he landed the bomb on them. Priceless!

It intrigued me how Dan, Kelley, and Garret each had their own 'issues' but seemed to fit against each other like a glove. Kelly had her defensive anger, Garret his obsession with women, and dan his depression. They kept each other in check, but they all supported each other when one of them started to fall.

I also loved the way that they seemed so adamant about protecting each other. This goes beyond aquaintences. These were truly the best of friends or it sure as hell felt like it to me.

This was such a lovely story! I hate that it's over.

Now.... questions ;)

Pink Michelin Man

Only five paragraphs in and I was laughing. LoL I have to say I like this ornery side of you Graeme ;)

Hire boots and ski clothes. (It

• Site Administrator
Now.... questions ;)

Pink Michelin Man

Only five paragraphs in and I was laughing. LoL I have to say I like this ornery side of you Graeme ;)

I can't take credit for that one. That was my wife's description of herself in her pink ski-suit. I think she was wrong, but I loved the phrase and had to use it (with permission). :D

Hire boots and ski clothes. (It
I can't take credit for that one. That was my wife's description of herself in her pink ski-suit. I think she was wrong, but I loved the phrase and had to use it (with permission). :D

We could say "rent" here, too, but hire is the more common phrase.

I kept getting that question when the story first came out. I didn't realise it's not used elsewhere. Learner drivers have L-plates and probationary drivers have P-plates. It is not only useful for the other drivers (if you see a slow moving car with L-plates, you accept that they are learning and cautious, and adjust accordingly. There's no point getting mad at them), but also for the police (P-platers have restrictions that don't apply to other drivers, such as a zero-blood-alcohol level, compared with 0.05 for full licenses. Similarly, if they see someone with L-plates in a car by themselves, they WILL pull them over -- all learners must have a fully-qualified driver in the car with them).

Yep to both :) While we get a lot of USA TV here, most of common terms are from our British heritage.

*blush*

Thank you for that...though my sympathy goes out mostly to Garret.

Beauty is fleeting...

I still sit in awe... that was so awesome. Thank you!

Thank you for that...though my sympathy goes out mostly to Garret.

Beauty is fleeting...

I still sit in awe... that was so awesome. Thank you!

I read it when it first came out, and have been a fan of Graeme's ever since. It was truly inspiring, and the best thing is that it has been long enough since I've read it that I will be able to read and enjoy it again! I didn't get a chance this weekend, but will very soon.

And I certainly agree about Garret, who happens to be one of my all-time favorite secondary characters. :2thumbs::2thumbs: