Eragon

Myr

• Site Administrator

If you like fantasy movies, you'll probably like Eragon.

If you like cute, smooth, shirtless guys in tight leather pants... there is a very nice scene in Eragon that is worth a whole bunch.

hehe

Myr

If you like fantasy movies, you'll probably like Eragon.

If you like cute, smooth, shirtless guys in tight leather pants... there is a very nice scene in Eragon that is worth a whole bunch.

hehe

Myr

Sounds like you enjoyed it Myr :P

Oh man do I wanna go see that!!! I guess I should wait until after my last final though *grumbles*

Greg

LOL - I had a feeling you would see it the first day it was out Myr!

You've been waiting for months!

I have too - but I was traveling, so I'll see it tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip!

Centaur

:2hands:

• Site Administrator

dk was kind enough to point out that there was a neat wrestling match between two boys and a nice scene with two of them climbing out of water together...

This movie is chock full of eyecandy... special effects... and males worth looking at...

Just to add an alternate opinion -- I saw it with my son Friday night. He's 11, loved the book. Hated the movie. Not because it didn't follow the book (apparently it didn't, but I've not read it so I couldn't say) but because he thought it was a lousy movie.

I, on the other hand, didn't think it was that bad. There are worse movies. Manos, Hand of Fate, for example. And like so many other fantasies (Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, for example) it's part of a series. A trilogy, in this case, the final movie finishing off what started with Dungeons and Dragons, then continued with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Not totally horrible, certainly worth keeping in mind when you're looking to rent a movie and they're out of better stuff. Gotta watch something, and if they don't have Zardoz or Plan 9 From Outer Space in, this'll work as a not-too-disappointing standby...

:) just got back from seeing it and i was not that interested in it to be fair before going to see it but i thought it was a great watch i really got into it and loved the baby dragon which was so cute have never considered dragons could be cute but it was and i loved the bond that was formed between the dragon and riders and the whole story line about their bond was really good. :D i also enjoyed the wrestling between the two boys and felt guilty when i thought they were brothers lol so i felt much better when i realised they were cousins (though i did prefer the dark haired guy that kept saving eragon, he was very nice ) :P overall good film if you don't have any great expectations then you will enjoy it, cannot wait for the next part.

Mark

Edited by Mark_L

BTW, "Dark Hair" is Garrett Hedlund, who has been in a few other pics, such as "Four Brothers" with Mark Walberg. Normally a blond, he definately looks good with black hair.

Overall, I thought the movie was good, even apart from the eye candy (which was VERY good). Oddly, one weak point for me was John Malkovich as the king. After DK and I saw it yesterday, we stopped in a bookstore and got the set of Christopher Paolini's first two books - heh, Dan's finished with Eragon and already half-way through Eldest.

And CP was 17 when he wrote Eragon, and is still in process of writting the concluding third book.

• Site Administrator

Let me know when you guys are doing reading Eldest... I REALLY want to be able to chat about it with someone. lol. Though I need to reread it, since I read it in when it came out months and months ago.

Myr

I REALLY want to see it... but I can't yet. I noticed it mentioned on this site and then went to chapters while waiting for a friend to get off work, noticed the book, and read it for about an hour and a half. I really like the book so far and refuse to see the movie until I finish it. I did the same thing with Lord of the Rings. Eragon, along with Eldest, are on the very small Christmas list I gave to my mum after she bugged me enough about what I wanted. The list was very short, five books, so I am hoping I get at least those two.

If I don't then the first order of business after Christmas is going to buy the book.

Let me know when you guys are doing reading Eldest... I REALLY want to be able to chat about it with someone. lol. Though I need to reread it, since I read it in when it came out months and months ago.

Myr

LOL...I read both after your first post about the movie last month :P

I'm sure we can chat about it over the Christmas holidays if you want.

Greg :)

I had no clue Garrett was normally a blond, he looked great with black hair, and was easily the hottest of the guys in that movie.

I was a little disappointed at first, obviously they cut a lot out, but the book seemed disjointed by itself and cutting scenes out should have helped the flow but it made it worse. Still haven

This blog entry and its comments give some reactions to the film and the novel. No one ever figures out what Frank Zappa has to do with it, though.

WARNING! Don't go there if you're offended by naughty words. The writer uses them.

Edited by glomph

• Site Administrator

I saw this as part of the review and I had to post it...

In fact its only redeeming value lies in its campiness and strange subliminal sexuality from the flirtatious comments between the Rachel Weisz-voiced beast & our hero, a surprisingly highlighted shirtless scene, and a homoerotic and somewhat incestuous 'wrestling' scene early on between cousins. Makes one wonder if "Brokeback Mountain" will ever be remade as a sword and sorcery epic.

He says the shirtless scene and homoerotic wrestling like it's bad.

I'd also love to see some gay sword and sorcery epic. (homosexual, as opposed to the gay as in it sucks, not in a good way)

I'd also love to see some gay sword and sorcery epic.

I thought most of them were, at least at subliminal and subconscious levels. Maybe that's just the way I look at them, especially with some of the costumes used.

Yeah I just got the book at borders yesterday. My friends are being happily patient in waiting for me to read it. Frankly they have no right to complain since only one of them has actually read the book. So since I don't take long to read books, once I'm finished reading it, we'll all have a trip to the movies. Should be fun.

Yeah I just got the book at borders yesterday. My friends are being happily patient in waiting for me to read it. Frankly they have no right to complain since only one of them has actually read the book. So since I don't take long to read books, once I'm finished reading it, we'll all have a trip to the movies. Should be fun.

I recommend you see the movie first and then read the book. Personally I find I expect way to much if I have read the book first. This way you can enjoy the movie and then enjoy the book...instead of enjoying the book and missing parts when you see the movie...or going 'that didn't happen?!?'

Just my suggestion though :)

Greg

• 2 months later...

Well... the movie came out on DVD today, and I rented it. I enjoyed it... yeah, some of the lines kinda sucked, but I really enjoyed.

Ed Speleers is pretty good looking too. :D

So, are they going to make the second book into a movie too... after some stuff that I read on the internet it seems kinda like they may not. I hope they do.

Now, tomorrow I am going to have to run to the library and borrow the book. :D

Kurt :D

Hey,

Well I bought the movie when it came out. I was apprehensive in watching it though. I only bought it because I knew that the brats wouldn't read the book, but would probably enjoy the movie as it's a different story than most anything else. So, I JUST finished watching it and I must say that it was disappointing at best. Sure it was beautiful, the music was good, the acting and the portrayal of the characters were fine.. lol.

This movie should have been HOURS longer. The details and the way it was planned out just sickened me. (As you can tell I'm a fan of the book).. lol. Some things though, could have been written in, no big deal. Like even the naming of the dragon, I almost turned the dvd off when Saphira popped in and just stated her name. It was SUCH an important part of the book.. it's where they bonded.. lol. Also, Urgals were supposed to be creatures, not human. The way Brom died was just a way of shortening the movie. They left out the little cat/boy and the Varden twins. The Varden twins were extremely important in the movie. The conflicts that Eragon and Murtagh had was completely left out. IMPORTANT details that would have brought the book to "life" a whole lot better.

But, defending the movie, I know there are limitations. Like the lake scene, that would be hard to accomplish. Expensive using computer animation at least. This was probably an expensive movie to make and that means almost a complete rewrite of the story.

Now, I knew from reading reviews there would be a good chance that I would be disappointed, but I never expected to be this disappointed. For those who haven't read the book, watch the movie, if you read the book before you do then it would be difficult to like the movie. :)

Anyway, hopefully, if they do make Eldest, they'll put more thought into it. Going from action scene to action scene won't make fans happy.

Krista