Standing at crossroads

A beautiful story, beautifully written! :D

I liked the ending. That is how it should be. I would have understood the 'other' ending as well. I have no doubts that Jay's love for his mother, his culture and upbringing weighed healily on his shoulders.

The one odd thing I found about the story was the scheduling of the wedding based on astrological considerations. :wacko: Is this a practice in your culture or was it just a tool you used to force an early marriage?

I was so pleased that Maya spoke up the way she did. Maybe Jay's announcement caused her to re-think her cultural norms as well. She sees no reason why she should be shamed by all of this. Her self-value does not depend on whom she marries. She took a very bold step for her own independence. I wonder if that spark was always within her?

Conner

Yes, Maya is indeed a really interesting character. I agree with a lot of what was written above. I'm still puzzled about additional chapters. I'd like to hear more about Jay's family, Maya, etc. But maybe the story would lose some of its impact. So my general comment would be: good story; strong theme that could have led to a longer narrative, but then wouldn't it have become boring?

A wonderful story, Ieshwar.

I felt I was there with Jay as he suffered for his love of his family and mother - luckily she snooped and read his letter! I've never really understood Indian culture, the caste system, and the idea of arranged marriage. It's very alien to me, with the way I was brought up.

Maya is a great character, and her speech at the end was spot on.

Camy

Thanks a lot for the comments, Bondwriter and Camy! When I started the story, I had only one thing in my mind- telling you about all the situation of gays in conservative societies. Believe me, it's very difficult. And I wanted to introduce you all to Indian culture. :) Hope it wasn't too confusing.

I have managed to get a few pics of things you came across in the story. Here are a few:

An Indian Bride: dulhan_1.jpg

A hennaed hand (with mehendi): mehendi.jpg

A bridegroom attire: SW-402s.jpg

What do you think?

Ieshwar

Thanks Camilla and Blueboybr!

That's very mature but alas, not everyone can be so dertermined! There're still mny amonsgt us who follows others. According to me, Jay's situation isn't just because of his conservative society; his letting go and lack of decisiveness play a very important role. Nobody is perfect, neither is Jay!

Ieshwar

I just read Ch 3 and 4, and what a roller-coaster, Excellent! :2thumbs:

Your comment that Jay is flawed speaks volumes; a flawed character is IMHO an excellent character as it makes them real.

Jay's mother acting as she did came as a total shock to me... Very well done.

This story, to me, illustrates the cultural pressures that so many, both gay and straight, face.

Thank you, Ieshwar!

BTW, thanks also for the "Hennaed hands" picture; I had never heard of that before.

Thanks CJ for the comments. Jay is quite like me (which explains the flaws :P ). Writing this story was like writing a bit my situation. But i have decided to come out next year (I'll be adult).

Ieshwar

I really like how it ended. The dream sequence where he guessed how things would happen was kind of scary when I first read it, but then it was made clear it was just a dream. I'm glad that Maya and his mother both understood it in the end, even if the male members of his family weren't quite as ready to accept it. It definitely proved my suspicion though. His mother was only forcing him to marry because she didn't want him to be alone. She didn't care who he spent the rest of his life with, she just wanted to make sure he had someone. And when she found out he had someone, she was simply glad that he had found someone who he loved, even if it wasn't traditional. A truly happy way to end the story. Good job. I can't wait for other stories from yo.

Thanks Endless Skies! It's a coincidence that very few, if not none, males are agreeable with Jay's and Ryan's relationship. I never intended it to be only females and no males. Now, that you mention it, I'm realising it. But it's ok.

I'm won't be writing much for the moment. I'm planning to write my Fall and winter Anthologies and a historical short story. I'll stop writing around September and will have to start revisng. But I'll still be in GA, most probably whining about exmas and revisons. My final exams are from 16 Oct to 22 Nov. God, pity me!!!!

Ok, I'm disgressing now.

Bye

Ieshwar

• 3 weeks later...

First things first!! :worship:

I just read this story in one sitting. I must say, This is one of the best story I've ever read. Why? It is sweet, touches a delicate subject and above all I could relate to it. Being an Indian, this is exactly what I see around.

My mum and dad had an arranged marriage, my granddad and grandmom had an arranged marriage. And so did many of my relatives including my cousins and uncles and aunts.

The point is that there are numerous examples of this type of setting in India. In a project I did on the topic Alternative Sexuality in India, I had to interview a few homosexuals. Three out of the four I interviewed were married against their wishes in a situation similar to Jay's.

Another thing is the general misconception highlighted by Jay's father. In India, there's this thing that if a person is fem, or he's found out to be gay, he's labelled as a chhakka (Hindi for eunuch). I have lost count on the number of times I've tried to counter that. But it's the same everywhere.

I liked the way our culture was portrayed in the story. Indeed this is the way all things are carried out. If anyone's seen Bend it Like Beckham, they'll relate to it.

All in all, a very nice story and I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks Ieshwar for this lovely tale.

The BeaStKid

Thanks a lot for these nice comments, BeaStKid.

Another thing is the general misconception highlighted by Jay's father. In India, there's this thing that if a person is fem, or he's found out to be gay, he's labelled as a chhakka (Hindi for eunuch). I have lost count on the number of times I've tried to counter that. But it's the same everywhere

Yeah, that was intentional. That's another result of the major ignorance about homosexuality. Many think that we're transgendered, which is FALSE!

If anyone's seen Bend it Like Beckham, they'll relate to it.

I did! I did! but I don't think we need to watch the movie to relate to it. We're living it in our daily life! :( Great movie, by the way. (The coach was hot. :P )

Ieshwar

I did! I did! but I don't think we need to watch the movie to relate to it. We're living it in our daily life! :( Great movie, by the way. (The coach was hot. :P )

Ieshwar

I agree that the coach was hot...I was asking the people not familiar with Indian traditions to see the movie... Since it's in English, they can watch it and still understand all the riti riwaz...lol

You're welcome...It really was a good story...

The BeaStKid

• 1 month later...

I just read this story all in one sitting as well.

I must say it was wonderful!

I thoroughly enjoyed it, Ieshwar :)

I could completely relate with what Jay must have been feeling and how difficult his situation was! I am very pleased that everything turned out the way it did!

I really like how it ended. The dream sequence where he guessed how things would happen was kind of scary when I first read it, but then it was made clear it was just a dream. I'm glad that Maya and his mother both understood it in the end, even if the male members of his family weren't quite as ready to accept it. It definitely proved my suspicion though. His mother was only forcing him to marry because she didn't want him to be alone. She didn't care who he spent the rest of his life with, she just wanted to make sure he had someone. And when she found out he had someone, she was simply glad that he had found someone who he loved, even if it wasn't traditional. A truly happy way to end the story. Good job. I can't wait for other stories from yo.

Yes, exactly! I got the feeling from the beginning that Jay's mother would ultimately be okay with it, mostly based on her choice of words and the way she seemed to genuinely care about Jay's happiness. I was surprised at how well, Maya took it, and at the eloquence and understanding of her speech at the end, but then thinking back I realized that I shouldn't have been too surprised because it fit in nicely with the previous information and scenes we had about her (excellent job tying that all together! :D )

I was very pleased to learn more about the culture and situation in India as well!

Ryan definitely seems like an awesome catch and I'm so glad that things worked out well for Ryan and Jay!

Great job, Ieshwar!

I too look forward to reading more of your work :)

Have an awesome day and take care!

Kevin