One Event

Razor

So I've got this research paper and I'm abandoning my current topic cause it's just not working. Now I have no clue what I want to do. So, here's the question... if you could pick any event, which would you pick as the subject of this research paper? Please give me some ideas... I'm drawing a blank and stressing out like crazy over it. I've got all kinds of shit due soon... 125 note cards, 5 source cards, thesis... all kinds of stuff. Help?

So I've got this research paper and I'm abandoning my current topic cause it's just not working. Now I have no clue what I want to do. So, here's the question... if you could pick any event, which would you pick as the subject of this research paper? Please give me some ideas... I'm drawing a blank and stressing out like crazy over it. I've got all kinds of shit due soon... 125 note cards, 5 source cards, thesis... all kinds of stuff. Help?

oooh..I know I know :) ....I'm about to start work on a paper about the fall of the Berlin Wall........my other choice was when Vince Mc Mahon bought WCW, but I didn't want to fail. :pickaxe:

• Site Administrator

If you were Australian, I would suggest with the landing at Gallipoli during WWI or the seige of Tobruk during WWII. Both of which were pivotal events in Australian military history. The first link in particular has lots of research references for you to chase up on. The second was also a pivotal event during WWII.

Hurricane Katrina ....

Definitely, Katrina. I can't think of a current event - now spanning over 1 1/2 years - that has so much reference material available or of such relevance (except for Iraq - but that's too much water to haul).

Good luck!

Jack B)

ANY, event? I would personally choose to write about the Panama Canal, and how the US muscled their way into South America's natural resources, in the early 20th century.. But that just me. If you wanted a more current event, i would go with the debate of China taking over Tibet and forcing the Dali Lama along with the remaining Buddhists to run away form their land homes.

*shrugs* but thats good ol' Ian

Edited by The Reaper

Kitty, I think I'll steal yours... I don't wanna do hurricane katrina because as southerners we've all had enough of that bitch, but the murder of Matthew Shepherd seems appropriate given the teacher's personal philosophies (not that he's pro-gay, he's actually very christian, it's just that he believes greatly in life influencing one's writings, so yeah). I'll take that one into consideration.

Anybody else have some ideas? I'm not big into military anything, or politics, because those subjects just don't interest me so much. I know those are usually the events that are earthshattering, but yeah.

Kitty, I think I'll steal yours... I don't wanna do hurricane katrina because as southerners we've all had enough of that bitch, but the murder of Matthew Shepherd seems appropriate given the teacher's personal philosophies (not that he's pro-gay, he's actually very christian, it's just that he believes greatly in life influencing one's writings, so yeah). I'll take that one into consideration.

Anybody else have some ideas? I'm not big into military anything, or politics, because those subjects just don't interest me so much. I know those are usually the events that are earthshattering, but yeah.

Jamie,

As you couched it in terms of an "event" my very first thought was the most pivotal event in the latter half of the 20th century, -- The JFK assassination. Still heavily debated conspiracy theories abound, and there is a wealth of sources.

Something that doesn't get a lot of attention historically is the Berlin airlift following World War II. See it here http://www.spiritoffreedom.org/ An interesting topic concerning what was actually the beginning of the cold war.

I think if you go with Kitty's suggestion, you may want to look at some other notable hate crimes. Scotty Weaver was also a horrendous hate murder that occurred in our neighborhood so to speak, right down in Bay Minette, Alabama, just below Mobile as recently as 2004. Google Scotty Weaver and murder and you will find some articles. Trouble with that subject is I imagine it's going to be tough to find sources other than the internet around here.

Well, those are my thoughts.

Hugs and good luck

Rick

Inspired by Rick's words "Berlin" and "airlift", my mind wanders around to the bombing of Dresden at the end of WWII. It's lengthily discussed (in his own words, as a witness) by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. in Slaughterhouse 5. Quite a puzzling event, but typical of WWII strategy and politics. Big controversy too, if your teacher is in the "two sides to the coin" frame of mind.

Hey Jamie,

I know you like teasing and jokes :P

You could take as subject the power of Jews and make researches about the Holocaust ! :devil:

If you need informations, I can help you :great:

I know it isnt funny :lol:

Old bob

Edited by old bob

I actually am now thinking about using the first reported case of HIV... yeah, decision's made. It'll either be that or matthew shepard, depending on what information I can find and what my end opinions are. Each one has a LOT of serious consequences and made major changes to the world, so I'll have to think about it a bit more. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.