-
Posts
52,281 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
Stories
- Stories
- Story Series
- Story Worlds
- Story Collections
- Story Chapters
- Chapter Comments
- Story Reviews
- Story Comments
- Stories Edited
- Stories Beta'd
Blogs
Store
Help Center
Writing
Gallery
Events
Everything posted by Headstall
-
Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
They were actually washing in that crick at between one and two in the morning, after seeing the sheriff in Bearpaw at midnight. Men would be used to bathing in cold water in those times, but balls are balls, and they would never get used to that first shock. Each man got an eyeful with that three quarter moon in the sky, and we know Jubal sure liked what he saw. Maybe Lucas's staring was innocent. Yeah....- 54 comments
-
- 10
-
-
-
-
Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Wes! Thank you! Awesome to see your horrible, evil clown face.- 54 comments
-
- 10
-
-
-
Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
I know that part, having read it many times. It is brilliant writing and there is a powerful message there. If only we could stay on our islands and never fac ethe unknown hazards that will forever change us... Thanks for quoting such a passage here, in this little western. Jubal has given many hints as to a life gone wrong, and I would say he is definitely carrying scars of both kinds. I'm pleased you appreciate the banter, Doc. It is what I most love writing, once the characters reach that point. It's become easy for them rather quickly, but when you click with someone, that is usually the case. Have no fear of there being a triple chapter... ain't going to happen no matter how much anyone begs. I will say one more thing I was going to not comment on. To call this a masterpiece in moonlight and comparing it to what Melville wrote is something I will not forget, though I don't consider myself anywhere near his league. Cheers, my friend, and thank you for your kind support.- 54 comments
-
- 15
-
-
-
Drew doesn't understand the concept.
-
Cause he's my brother.
-
Thanks, Albert.
-
Yep, mostly. The rest is English, Irish, and Danish.
-
Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
I think we were all feeling a little grimy.- 54 comments
-
- 12
-
-
-
Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Totally agree. I love when Jubal has the thought he has found someone he can 'pester'. My favorite aunt used to say I 'tormented' her. We used to fall into that natural banter every time we saw each other. It was like breathing, and yes, it was a precious thing.- 54 comments
-
- 11
-
-
-
Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Yeah, I think Lucas would have to very very blunt with Lucas, because the man doesn't have trust in what he sees when it comes to nuance. I think that is a learned response rather than who he actually is. Lol. Smoked or fresh? Obviously something bad happened to Jubal... And yes, scars prove you lived. I really like that.- 54 comments
-
- 13
-
-
-
Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Awesome! -
Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
We had warm milk in the mornings while waiting for the cookstove to heat up the kitchen. It did the trick after getting washed up in cold water. Believe it or not, I miss those days in our little house in the woods. The life of a farmer is not an easy one, and I wanted to show the amount of work involved just with feeding and watering, without dwelling on each little thing. Doing it through dialogue is better than giving a narrative, at least, that's what I believe. You're right that horses names are often tied to their sires and dams, but horse registries were not really a thing in those days, except for racing. When you have a horse for twenty five years, you want the name to fit. Often they are named shortly after they are born, once the owner thinks of one that works. I take great care in naming my horses. For example, one colt I named after seeing him for the first time. I called him a rock star when I laid eyes on him, so he became Elvis. Unfortunately, he had an Aguinal hernia and didn't make it. Jubal's memories of Vincent are good ones, and they are not colored by bitterness. Sounds like Vincent was always truthful, and probably loved him deeply. There will be more to learn later. Porcupine is supposedly very tasty--they are pretty easy to hunt--but I have never actually had it. As far as Lucas, he's comfortable in his own skin, and isn't shy. I doubt many cowboys were. What you call flirting might just be him having a bath and showing friendly interest in a new friend. He sees nothing wrong with his curiosity, but since we are only getting Jubal's POV, we don't know what Lucas is actually thinking. I see you got both aspects of the chapter title, and that is very satisfying to me. What we see is what we get with Lucas... at least that's the way it seems to me. I do so agree about the trust they've developed. To sleep next to someone and fall asleep so easily is very telling. I was hoping readers would get a lot from this chapter, and you, my friend, have touched on a lot of it. Sure, there are lots of new questions, but that's the fun of it. We've learned enough... for now. Thanks for another wonderful, thoughtful comment, my lady. Hope all is well with you. Cheers!- 54 comments
-
- 13
-
-
-
Yee Haw!
-
It has arrived with a really long chapter.
-
Yikes! That's expensive, but if you need them, you need them, and you are worth it.
-
Hey! That's my home country!
-
Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Lol. Yeah, that stench was a little much. Sorry you had to 'wear' it so long. Can you just imagine how good it felt to soap up in that creek, though? To me, that seemed like heaven, and plus there was plenty of eye candy. Apparently they both clean up well.- 54 comments
-
- 15
-
-
-
-
Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
No, Lucas doesn't appear shy, and I don't think that is the only difference between them. He seems more comfortable in his own skin, and maybe that is why Jubal is feeling at home in this place. Restless dreams? Maybe, but I think both men are too tired to be doing much tossing and turning. Thanks for reading and commenting, Parker. Cheers!- 54 comments
-
- 14
-
-
-
Ideology is smoke and mirrors. I prefer compassion and common sense.
-
Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
A world seen in moonlight is way different than one seen in the light of day. Glad you like the descriptions, Terry. We have a tourist attraction called Pioneer Village, and I've been there twice over the years... once as a kid and once with my kids. It fascinated me, how people lived back then. Insulation didn't exist, and the only heat came from a fire. Yet, settlers figured out how to be comfortable. We had a cabin too that we were allowed to sleep in when we visited my aunt's house (before we moved across the road permanently). It was really just a shed, but it was a kid's dream. It would get cold at night, but we had lots of blankets. I can remember being able to see my breath in the morning a few times. Foy years we lived in a small house with no running water or bathroom. We never minded... going to the outhouse during the day and using a chamber pot at night was just the way life was. Pumping water into pails from the neighbor's hand pump was a daily chore. Lucas is a friendly sort, and I think he's trying to make Jubal feel comfortable, and I also think he is trying to figure him out. I would say he is more perceptive than Jubal, but am I right? That really remains to be seen. Yeah, Jubal is cautious... even wary... but I think he trusts Lucas despite that. We don't know if he'll stay in Bearpaw, but I think we can be pretty sure he likes what he's seen so far... except for the 'god-fearing' part. Thanks, buddy.- 54 comments
-
- 16
-
-
-
Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
At this point that might be too much to wish for, but who knows where they will end up. That's two double chapters in a row, so don't be expecting a third, buddy. That comfort level developing between them is a beautiful thing. We know Jubal has been lonely for a long time, and he needs this friendship. Maybe Lucas does too. Fact is, most of us need someone we can share things with, even if it is just time. Thank you, Johnny. Cheers!- 54 comments
-
- 16
-
-
-
Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
That comfort was there almost from the start, but it is building as they spend more time together. I really like writing these two... as well as they get along, they are quite different from each other. Thank you, my friend. Glad you found lots to love in this one. Cheers!- 54 comments
-
- 16
-
-
-
Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Thank you, Albert! That makes me happy. A story needs to build, with each chapter bringing us further into the world of the characters. I enjoyed the dialogue between them. There is an awkwardness here and there that is typical of new friendships, and neither men retreats from it. Together, they seem fun loving, and that was a joy to write. I like making Jubal happy, even if only for short moments. I don't think we've seen Cupid... at least not yet. Happy to hear you liked the descriptions. I worked hard on them because much of it is done through conversation because it was nighttime. There was some definite staring for sure... and Monday will be here in no time, my friend.- 54 comments
-
- 16
-
-
-
Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
A perceptive comment, Kris. Something has made Jubal wary to the point he has no trust in himself. I don't think he's had a happy life outside of the time spent with Vincent. It's especially nice he has the memories he does, and doesn't resent Vincent's choices. These men have developed an easy friendship rather quickly, and that is something that happens to many of us... we click with certain people from the start. I think Jubal would do his best to protect that at all costs. He's let his walls down some, but I believe we can sense there is a limit. We'll see if that changes. Thanks for the great comment, my friend. Cheers!- 54 comments
-
- 15
-
-
-
Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 5 Lay of the Land
Jubal's neck? Hmmm. Whatever do you mean? Lol... all will be revealed in good time. As far as Lucas, is he just naturally this way? Some people have an easier time giving compliments... but yeah, how many 'handsomes' does he need to use? There is a history between Reid and Lucas, and I think Jubal is wondering about it. He doesn't trust any perceptions he might have, though, and that speaks to his own history. Thanks, Doc. I hope you enjoyed this longerer chapter. Cheers!- 54 comments
-
- 15
-
-
