Jump to content
Last Call for Anthology Stories! ×

MrM

Author
  • Posts

    3,698
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by MrM

  1. MrM

    The Web

    Thanks guys! I wrote this last year for a Hallweird prompt, but it got buried, unfortunately. Comsie wants to host it on his web site so I made some art. That may be why it bubbled up. I’m glad you guys liked it! Thank you for that, Val! I like to write horror, but I make myself have nightmares from what shtuff comes up in my demented brain cavity so I have to be frugal with my fearmongering. 😮 My favorite Halloweird story I did was Adagio and I know some of you have read that one already. I’m conjuring a sequel that is taking shape into something seriously freaky! I’ll also be releasing a GFD tie-in for Comsie once he releases it on his web site this month. I’ve also been planning a vampire story of my own that Comsie might want to integrate into his GFD-verse too. I’ll write it in such a way that it ‘works’. Anyways, thanks for reading my crazy word-doodle!
  2. The British tradition used to have an All Hallows thing it did waaay back, but I think it fell out of favour at some point. Protestants have always had a fear of Halloween since it was such a blatant mix of the pagan slathered with a thin veneer of Christianity. Samhain is not uniquely Celtic as we might think, though our Halloween tradition seems to anchor itself there in America. I'm afraid that is your biggest culprit in England, Halloween caught on big here in the States, probably because of candy manufacturers, but, also, because it was an Irish tradition that sort of caught on. Similarly to how our Christmas tradition follows a lot more with the German celebration over the British one. it's a part of the melting pot thingie. We then exported the idea with movies and pop culture, etc. Here in SoCal, however, we have an even more potent elixir of Dark Magick that brings Halloween a particular power here that is deeper than other places. Here in the Southwest of the United States, Halloween is enhanced by Dia De Los Muertos, the Mexican holiday commemorating the ancestors who have passed beyond and yet have a chance to come and visit on the Day of Souls, a Catholic holiday. This is also an ANCIENT tradition in Mexico dating to the pre-Colombian age where the ancestors were venerated daily and death and life were a mixture of the same reality. The palpable feeling of the Thinning of the Veil between the living and the dead has had a profound impact on our understanding of Halloween here in San Diego and other parts of the Southwest of the US. There is a real sense of mystery that those we love are near to us once more! Even Euro Americans here feel it this time of year. So it is rather special and not at all macabre or spooky (except in a fun way). It is the celebration of All Souls! A time to remember that death is not the end of all things and that life goes on in a myriad of different ways. Since Coco came out by Pixar, this gift to us from Mexico has become better understood and enjoyed in the parts of the United States with a Mexican population and beyond. In a lot of ways for us, it's as big a holiday as Christmas or Easter, or . . . dare I say it: PRIDE! 😮
  3. Postnatal Abortion time.
  4. I’ve also experienced similar things in San Diego and LA. In San Diego, we have one Gay club left, Rich’s. I don’t go there much anymore because the straight girls like to come up and dance there. I don’t mind that. I understand this. They can come and dance with guys that aren’t interested in only getting into their pants and they can ‘cut loose’. Unfortunately, they can cut loose too much and they become loud, rude, and sometimes sexually harrassing to us gay guys. I know that sounds weird, but it has happened upon my observation. There are also the ones that think they can ‘turn’ you back to the ‘straight’ side of the Force. I wish it worked that way for me, but not really. I’m not Bi, which might be what encourages some of the girls to do this as there are plenty of Bi guys at Rich’s too. But, that said, we try to be as gentle and kind about our rejections as possible. It’s really a question of space, really. Rich’s is not a big club and yet any given Saturday night there will be hundreds of girls trying to get in. They displace the gays fromt the only club they can feel really comfortable in. I’d say a solution is to open more Gay/Flex Clubs, but economics in our area make that a risky business. Clubs are closing due to economic and, I suspect, political pressures. I have also experienced the rudness of straight guys in our one lesbian bar (only one?). In the bathroom generally considered the ‘men’s’ room at Gossip Grill there are actually courtesy posters up reminding straight guys NOT to hit on the girls. By and large they aren’t interested and they won’t ‘change’ just because of your (the drunk-ass straight guy’s) specific charms. Very rude and I’ve seen Security ‘escort’ any number of straight assholes out the door for their rude behavior.
  5. This. Too many guys in ‘straight’ clubs and bars still get violently homophobic if asked out by a gay man. When this kind of behavior is better controlled then we can ‘normalize’ singles bars and clubs so that everyone can participate without fear of a fight or worse. Amsterdam is a good model for the ‘sexual fluidity’ idea for bars, taverns, and clubs. Homophobic violence isn’t tolerated there and people are generally pretty easy about saying if they are into a homosexual experience or not. Sort of ‘Oh, no thanks, I’m not Gay, but do you want to have a drink?’ That sort of thing. I know this isn’t universal, but this has been my impression of the dating culture in a lot of places in Northwestern Europe, particularly in the urban areas. I live in SoCal, which one might expect to be fairly progressive and in some cases it is, but I find I’m uneasy in straight places still and seldom venture far from my gayborhood. The Trump Effect has had a lot to do with this, unfortunately.
  6. Strangely enough, I was in danger of Eton myself, at one time. My father was courted by the oil sultans of Dubai to come work for them as an Engineer. They promised him a great home, a greater salary, comfort for my mother, and the opportunity for me to go to any school in England that he might want for me. Eton included. Wisely, my father turned down that job because it was filled with hidden dragons, not unlike Eton itself. After reading any number of noble accounts on Eton, I was to learn just how lucky I was avoiding that place. Thanks Will for reading!
  7. An interesting idea for a film. It’s a topic I’ve thought about often, especially when I’ve talked to Danseurs like @Mikie or a friend of mine who runs and teaches in a ballet school. I seem to meet a lot of Danseurs, for some reason, and not only enjoy their grace and beauty, but appreciate their struggle. As Gay men we are usually the only ones that have the courage to brook the societally imposed struggle to become Danseurs, but this should not only be a Gay dominated art form for thsi reason. Straight men should have a right to be as graceful and beautiful Danseurs as Gay men without being emasculated by general society. What are your thoughts? http://danseurmovie.com/
  8. Mr.Kitty He’s Gay!
  9. MrM

    Chapter 22

    I totally need to Benjamin Button myself back to 14 so I can get me an Ariel of my very own! He’s so-o utterly adorable I can’t stand it! I know I say that each time these come out, but gosh . . . When you make him talk about ‘weiners’ I just giggle like a kid! Oh, and I bet he can’t believe you just showed the world what a sex pig he is in bed!
  10. MrM

    Chapter 41

    "Billy! You should start charging for all this relationship advice, Babe! You could make enough money so we could take a trip to London with my Dad!" ~ Brandon getting greedy.
  11. MrM

    We're Not Telling

    Oops double entry
  12. MrM

    We're Not Telling

    A great inline reflection on the title and theme of the story, Comsie. I loved that! Also, I now have this song stuck in my head! 😝
  13. MrM

    Final Hour

    Read this if you’re having questions about wanting to stay alive. It’s an IMPORTANT read.
  14. MrM

    Chapter 1

    I love you for this, Comsie. 💖
  15. MrM

    Chapter 1

    Would you offer your services as an editor? Perhaps you could reclassify your account as ‘Editor’ being that we sorely need more in our little bevvy of authors here. I know I find crap all the time I need to clean up even after reading my stuff for the 50th time.
  16. MrM

    Chapter 40

    'Brandon' is out there, @Blue Dhalia . I know because I sort of know him personally. Never give up and don't be afraid to love and don't forsake 'Brandon' by leaving this world too soon and doing him out of ever having the privilege of meeting the beautiful soul that you are. 'Brandon' is lonely too and still looking for you.
  17. You never have to be sorry about anything, Comsiekins.
  18. I sent an email. I have a slight change to my submission.
  19. This is so opposite of what I did in a similar situation. I jumped out of bed and un-slept on the couch after ‘JOEseph’ tried that on me. Bailey was MUCH smarter than I was!
  20. So, over the past year, another Temple has been speaking rather loudly into my head. He was Brandon's Great-great Grandfather. His biography and love story is recorded in my story Souvenir. Get your hankies out, this one will be a tear jerker. At this writing, It is about a little over half-way finished. I just wanted to give some Billy and Brandon fans something to read between Billy and Brandon posts. Naturally, it also has a soundtrack being that I write everything to music.
  21. MrM

    Conducting Hazardously

    There is an aspect, most ethereal, to one’s waking within the confines of a lover’s arms. At once, there is a misty confusion one might relegate to the realm of dreams. But then, there, as the mists of Morpheus lift from a mind so altered by such a metamorphosising night, reality brightens back into bones feeling somewhat bent. A decided ache seems to fill the body, particularly within those places intimately exploited to such delicious effect. It is a bone-deep ache that one suffers with maximu
  22. MrM

    Chapter 40

    Personally . . . I think Garrett is still in the game. Being a shell-bound closet-case generally predisposes people to the word 'NO' when they really want to say 'YAAAAASS'! I'm not really sure what's going on with the Stevie thing. Even though I 'am' Brandon I can't really be Brandon until Comsie makes me Brandon. Yes, that makes no sense to me either which is a typical Brandon way of thinking. For now, I am calling this time in Brandon's life the 'Awkward Devotional' phase until I know better. An homage to the old song to me and the ancient song to you Millennials called 'Torn Between Two Lovers.' Basically, Brandon's torn between two lovers and feeling like a fool. Should he remain faithful to the one he gave his heart to or honor the love, devotion, and sacrifice of the other who reaches now for him as Brandon reached out for him in the past. This is where an Arcade Junkie threeway might not be such a bad thing!
  23. Sorry I missed you. I have no idea what I was doing 17 hours ago. LOL
  24. Reminds me of the Pocky Game cheat.
×
×
  • Create New...