It’s fun knowing this unconventional sonnet was a treat. The treat for me is that the recording was okay to your ear. Thank you very much for reading and commenting.
Indeed. If I want to be found, it’s sometimes best just to wait patiently for someone who knows who he’s looking for. Thanks very much for your thoughts!
The carpenter knows where the basswood grows
as the jay is aware of the berry,
while the monarch goes where the wild red rose
decks the meadow in finery merry,
and hungry black bears leave their crude affairs
in a quest for delectable sweetness
scented soft in airs to take unawares
chosen noses which know incompleteness.
But anywhere I, searching low and high,
seek that visage my spirit sustaining,
find all hopes awry while these smiles belie
Jubal is better off now than two chapters back. Now if he could just get things to calm down a bit, so he can get himself established… but that’s not in the cards, is it?
Perry has the right idea: Kyan and Perry’s friendship, their multifaceted connections, are most important. Good for him for recognizing this. If only he’d said something about it sooner.
You're right that I was initially stunned. Thank you for your most kind words. So much of what we know and experience about ourselves, tinnitus included, echoes in the background of our lives. Sometimes these cannot be ignored, at other times, they are simply woven into the fabric of our existence. I am so glad that this poem spoke deeply to you.
A quick, lethal gunfight cements a kind of partnership between Jubal and Lucas. I fear for their future. Somewhere out there is a bandit thirsting for revenge.
I’ve never observed what amplifies or dulls the sound level. I’m fascinated that sugar can do this for you. Now I’m going to have to pay attention! Thank you so much for your reactions and for reading.
You made me smile to read this. That this touched your soul will reverberate in mine for a long time. I confess to feeling like a tightrope walker without a net when I write unstructured poems; your comment makes me feel like Wallenda over Niagara Falls. Thank you.
Thank you very much for your kind and perceptive comments. You’ve read this sonnet indeed as I wrote it. You’re very good to read and leave your thoughts.
Tinnitus
With the phoebes fledged,
their parents pack their bags for a long trip south,
I’m alone again
with the ringing in my ears,
that eternal music
which suffocates every solemn silence
and colors soft southern zephyrs
carrying suggestions of rain
and the implication of thunder
on dusty ozone-tanned arms;
There are mathematical abstractions for them all,
every harmony formed by the stillness of green leaves,