These were inspired partly from a recent experience as I tried to make room in the front hall closet. No way was I going to part with any of these. I'm glad that I am not the only one who experiences this Thanks very much for your thoughts, and for reading!
I’m glad that you found poems to enjoy and which made you feel something of what I see and experience. The skyscraper form continues to reveal its facets and possibilities. It’s a fun form to explore. Thank you very much for taking time to read and consider these.
Thank you, tim, for reading and especially for considering the April 18 poems. There are days when the behavior of my fellow human beings baffles and frustrates me. Sometimes the birds and trees and even the weather make more sense. Thanks again.
I give thanks continually for @AC Benus and his invention of the Skyscraper. I find it to be a versatile and expressive form. I’m glad you find it so, too. Thanks very much for reading these entries. I’m hoping they jumpstart my writing habit in the coming months.
I very much enjoyed this collection of Tanka, particularly your first about Som, and the one about Monsoon Mosquitoes. Your scenes are vivid and memorable.
April 18
You could ask
for logarithms of
the square of the hippopotamus,
or discreetly derivative discrete functions
and where their apogees intersect,
but the answers are not
rational.
You could ask
where sparrows ought to hide,
not from their natural predators,
but exotic snakes and cats that people release
into the wild ‘cause it’s easier
to set them on the world
than to care.
You could as
I’m delighted by the news that mine is not the only closet filled with memories. Your response to this set is very kind and most generous, and it made me grin from ear to ear. I’m glad each of these moved your spirit and heart. Thank you for such a fulsome and lovely review.
I have almost all of them still; they have proven so hard to part with. There is a wealth of memories, great and small, connected to them, and still tying me to another time and day. It makes me smile to know you experience something like this too, and that these poems appear to make your experiences more real, too.
Thanks for such kind words in response to this set of skyscrapers. I can’t help being reconnected with people and events through these items. Perhaps that’s why I’m a pack rat. Thanks again.
You’re so right that our memories can be wrapped up in the items to which they are connected. They may make those recollections more real, more present in some way. I like that you say they are fuel for our journey. Thanks again for reading these.
I’m very, very glad you enjoyed these. Memories like these stick with me through the long years, and have not faded. I’m glad you could see these places with me.
Thank you for the semi-homecoming tour of Havana and its environs. Camilo is unquestionably behaving like an intelligence officer, but you appear to be drawing him as an somewhat independent individual. He’s certainly appealing, unlike the obtuse and egotistical Jay.
I liked your tribute to April very much. This year, she has been alternately frowning and exuberant. I thought your poem about facets losing their glow without light to be most apt. The riddle in the third poem is excellent. Number four is also enigmatic at first, but that made me reread it. How I wish some students could send their minds ahead as they worked on their proof problems! Thanks for all of these.
Though I selected the weeping response, I cannot help but recognize the hope in some of your Haiku, as in
Up in the meadow
Beneath the snow white blanket
Hope springs eternal
and
Puddles within ice
Give way beneath heavy boots
Like winter to spring
Thanks again for sharing yourself in these.