Thanks for sharing your own experience and for reading this story. As you said, the age gap can sometimes render meaningful connections difficult until well into adulthood. Jamie and Robert couldn’t seem to have the conversation that Ed prompted. But maybe there’s a ray of hope for Robert and for Ed, too. Thanks very much for reading and for your thoughts.
@AC Benus put these two men together in a prompt he kindly shared with me when I was at a low ebb. So, too, are Robert and Ed in dark places. Writing this story gave me the chance to shine some light into their sadness, and maybe offer them some hope. Thanks so much for your kind comments and for reading their story.
Robert tried to bury his youthful sins, acts which he had no idea would come to haunt him this way. Ed will ever wonder if he didn’t fight enough at the hospital. @AC Benus’s prompt put these two men together, and it was my hope that together, they might be able to find some healing. Thanks very much for reading and for your comments.
Thank you for reading this. It isn’t an easy story, but the original prompt from @AC Benus led Robert and Ed in a direction to unearth hurts that would benefit from frank conversation and a better reburial. I think there’s room for hope, at least. Thanks again.
Ed and Robert share grief, and love, for the same man. I hope that there is at least a ray of hope to shine on their sadness. @AC Benus had the original idea for this story, and I’m grateful for his thoughts in the writing process.
You’re very kind, and I’m grateful for your thoughts. @AC Benus generously wrote me with the prompt this story, and his comments on the various drafts were invaluable.
Thank you for reading and responding to it. I must again acknowledge and thank @AC Benus for his originally prompting this story, and for his help and suggestions.
@Cane23 Thank you for your reflection on Robert and Ed’s encounter. Perhaps it will mark some kind of turn for both of them. Some wounds leave deep and permanent scars, and what happened before and after Jamie’s death must surely do so. But if there are scars, then maybe there will have been some healing, too. At least, that’s my hope for both of these men.
They say you can’t go home again, but I hadn’t challenged the notion much until that day. When was the last time I was back home? Not my current house, but home, the place where I theoretically grew up? Years ago. It wouldn’t have been too much of a detour to swing by the old place and neighborhood, but that rabbit warren of suburban postwar ranches where house moms presided over too-small kitchens couldn’t rate even the point of a star in a Michelin guide.
Locating the cemetery was hard en
There is something immensely satisfying in building things right. Jubal gets this, and so does Lucas in his own way. You’ve conveyed this artfully, and I’ve enjoyed the last two chapters. Now I’m fixin my sights on what might come next. Thanks for this chapter!
I can hear exactly what you mean about how music like this leading to rag’s development.
Additionally, I’d argue that this performer’s video is an excellent reason for changing customary concert dress.
Thank you for reading and considering this sonnet. I loved the reference to Nothing Gold Can Stay. It’s an elegant and succinct response to the greens and golds of autumn, and to the seasons in our lives.
Thank you. That the season left its imprint on you from long ago makes me smile, as do the autumn butterflies still flitting amongst the flowers in the garden.
You’re very kind; that ideal of mutual and equal, interdependent love is exactly what was aiming for. This rich green and gold time, though short, is a gift to be enjoyed while the moment remains to us. Thanks so much for reading and for your comment.
This is definitely the season for the bumblebees, working tirelessly without pause in the garden to be ready for winter. Thanks very much for reading and for your response.