-
Posts
8,322 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
Stories
- Stories
- Story Series
- Story Worlds
- Story Collections
- Story Chapters
- Chapter Comments
- Story Reviews
- Story Comments
- Stories Edited
- Stories Beta'd
Blogs
Store
Help Center
Writing
Gallery
Events
Everything posted by Summerabbacat
-
This comment and the next chapter's title Pool, a Fool, and Home/Away School leads to me believe another fool will reveal himself in the next chapter, and I believe the fool will be Pete. I suspect Pete will make unkind remarks about Stephen's visible appearance, or worse still his appearance and his apparent lack of endowment, such that "tool" would be an even more accurate description of him. My only hope is that as this is a story from the pen of the prolific @Lee Wilson, my speculation is way off, that somehow Pete makes a fool of himself, thereby endearing himself to Stephen. Of course, the other scenario is that Pete is the fool or tool who does something far nastier and hurtful to Stephen than I can imagine. Whatever the outcome, I doubt it will negatively impact upon the friendship forming between Stephen and Michael, if anything it may strengthen it.
-
How often has someone made a comment on one of my comments, which I then revisit and find to my absolute horror spelling or grammatical errors. Too bloody often. I clearly need to switch off the auto-correct "option" in my brain.
-
A case of the "willies" of a different kind (LOL). That thought occurred to me momentarily too @Gary L, but I dismissed it as my inclination to analyse too intensely,
-
I agree with @pvtguy and @centexhairysub who have both expressed doubt Deirdre is aware of Jasper's involvement in the illegal counterfeiting activities. I have for some time thought she is either not very smart, is very naive or merely accepts things at face value without giving them any thought because to do so may reveal something she is unaware of or not comfortable with.
-
I think @Philippe and @centexhairysub have speculated correctly, the surprise Tony has in mind for Aaron is likely to be a new or good quality used ute. If it is one with a dual purpose i.e. for Aaron's private use and for his lawn mowing business, then the way to "sell it" would be that it is for the business, which if I recall correctly he started up with Tony. On the assumption they registered the business, obtained an ABN and Aaron has lodged income tax returns and declared his income from the business, the purchase of the vehicle may be able to be claimed as a business deduction, at least in part, as it is used to generate income. If Tony is going to use a pseudonym he could use a gender neutral name or even better a female name e.g. Dorothy Friend or Margaret Graisse, the latter as a nod to the Monolith. I so enjoy these chapters of respite @Mark Ponyboy Peters, chapters where bugger all happens, where the characters take their time to contemplate, re-energise and/or simply chill out.
-
I do love The Lovecats @weinerdog and toyed with posting it rather than Lullaby, but thought it was a little too "poppy" for this chapter because it is so wonderfully wonderfully pretty.
-
"Introductions over she consulted some notes and then almost glared, “I understand, Mr Wilson, that you had private detectives looking into the affairs of Mr Jasper Watkins, could you explain.” One "Wilson" has managed to elude your eagle-eye @Robert Hugill (LOL). A very interesting chapter. The revelation Val and Marina had apparently seen sense regarding Noah and Toby's experimenting followed shortly thereafter by the telephone call from DI Maitland was concering. My initial thought was Val and Marina had set Brian and Gordon up, but this was quickly quashed when DI Maitland "emphasised that all they wanted to do was bring him up to speed on a case involving someone he knew". Brian's conclusion it involved Jasper was a reasonable one to draw, and it proved to be correct. I loved your description of DI Maitland's physique, classic Hugill "In person she was in early middle-age, with scraped-back blond hair in a rather severe style and a sensible blouse and slacks that did nothing for her substantial figure, but then practicality probably counted for more than looks in her job." Euphemistic language of such high calibre is another of your successful literary devices @Robert Hugill, and I cannot recall a better example than this. Once again the discrepancy between Brian and Gordon's care for Toby and Deirdre's care for him was on display, and on this occasion as it has been on most occasions, the discrepancy was not subtle. I have thawed a fraction toward Deirdre in recent chapters; I think she has been trying to make an effort, she so often just appears to often be out of her depth.
-
Luca's film was an homage to Jamie. Its catalyst may have been concern from someone who recognised a kindred spirit, but that concern has grown into something much greater, something mutual, much to the delight of both Luca and Jamie. I was very pleased Jamie accepted Luca's explanation without reservation, that he did not wonder if befriending him was some kind of "project" Luca had undertaken so as to make the film. Luca is remarkable, far more complex than the confident image he presents. Unlike @weinerdog I assumed Luca is of Italian descent, but like @weinerdog I have wondered if his being gay or at least questioning his sexuality, was one of the reasons he left home or was asked to leave. I too love music @Jeff Burton and for much of this story I have had many songs by The Cure, a band I have loved for more than 40 years now, playing on loop in my head. Although the songs may not have been lyrically relevant to the plot of the chapter I was reading, the often haunting or melancholic melodies from the masters of angst, have resonated with me when reading this wonderful story. The joy of this chapter brought to mind Lovesong and Friday I'm In Love, both of which may be lyrically relevant, seem a little premature at present. For this reason, one of my favourite songs by them, Lullaby, resonates, not because of its lyrics (which don't "suit" the content of this chapter at all), but because of its title and its "swooning" melody. Luca's film had the effect of a lullaby on Jamie, soothing him, providing him with space to invite himself to be the Jamie he wants to be. Luca's film, a sweet lullaby for his Jamie.
-
Jamie's talent has been validated by Marla, someone "in the know", not only in a medium he is already comfortable with, drawings in charcoal and pencil, but in a medium in which he had no experience, painting in acrylics. If he had any doubts about his talent he should not now, but the suffocation and brow beating from his father weighs heavy on his young shoulders and one cannot expect them to suddenly be cast off without any further angst. Hopefully continued encouragement from Luca, notice of his first painting displayed at the gallery and a shift in self-perception and esteem, may be enough for him to assert himself and stand up to his father. I wonder if his Uncle Greg might play a part in persuading his father to accept Jamie's talent and nurture it as I cannot see any other way Jamie will be released from his father's "vision" for his future. Luca's attraction to Jamie is becoming more obvious, but I am not sure if Jamie even realises this yet. Jamie has not given any overt indication of his own sexuality yet, perhaps it is something he is not sure of himself, or something which is not even on his radar yet. A budding romance is an appealing idea, but is it realistic at this point in time, only Jeff knows for now. A 'Wow' chapter @Jeff Burton in acknowledgment of Jamie's talent, Luca's part in recognising and validating his talent, and Luca's selflessness in bringing light to Jamie's life where there has only been darkness and for asking for nothing in return.
-
A Little Taste of Maybe
Summerabbacat commented on Jeff Burton's story chapter in A Little Taste of Maybe
I thought only Robert Hugill introduced me to words I have never seen before, but this is not the case. I have NEVER, that I can recall, seen the word "explications" before @drsawzall. I thought perhaps you had misspelt another word or it was a @drsawzallism, but it is not. Perhaps Robert is the product of his upbringing too, although his brother Greg does not seem to have the same stick stuck up his arse. -
Or he thought Nancy was smokin' hot, which even to a Little Queen like me, she was, and still is. I think she is more attractive now than she was when she was younger, and her skills as a guitarist have continued to grow. Recent photographs of Ann online show her having lost a lot of weight, maybe the cancer she has had, and she also looks stunning. She has always had a very attractive face, but struggled with her weight. Even with all the health issues she has had over the years, her voice has remained intact and powerful. I have always considered Heart very underrated, even with their "questionable" 80's hairdo's. I even like the song which Ann allegedly detests, All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You (makes me cry every time I hear it). I have to say though, that for me, their best material is that penned by Ann and Nancy. Those Wilson sisters rock.
-
There Is No Other Place I Wanna Be
Summerabbacat commented on Bry Bryant's story chapter in There Is No Other Place I Wanna Be
Bry appears to be an enigma to all who interact with him. His work colleagues, who appear to be his only friends, know very little about him because he does not share personal details about himself, and there is nothing wrong with that. He does not have the confidence to go out to a place like Dollars by himself to pick up a guy, although it appears hooking up for a one night stand does not hold any appeal for him anyway. He is in a quandary, imprisoned in a cage of his own making. What he really needs is the subject of this song by Erasure: A little progress in his thinking @Bry Bryant, however, a setback to his confidence with the "rejection" by Greg. Some may find Bry annoying and pitiful, however, I find him endearing and believable. -
This is a Youtube video where Heart are performing Stairway To Heaven live and Robert Plant is in the audience, looking very moved by their rendition. Ann absolutely nails it, Nancy is fierce, even I was greatly moved (bloody leaking tears again) and I don't even like the original.
-
James, James, James, WTF are you doing. Your son stood up to the teenage skank he was dating, calling her out on her homophobia, trumping her bigotry with love and understanding. He is in your corner, he is not his brother. I am not a parent of human children, but I cannot understand how James has concluded his dating Jonah will be a problem for Alex. Jonah is Alex's boxing coaching, not his best friend who is the same age as he. I assume there is a noticeable age gap between Jonah and James, but so what. Not only is James disrespecting Jonah he is also disrespecting Alex, assuming Alex will take issue with him dating Jonah. Perhaps he will, but equally perhaps he won't. An excellent chapter @ChromedOutCortex, one which portends unpleasantness in the next chapter I assume. I just hope Alex becomes aware it is Jonah whom James is dating and gives his seal of approval, not that his seal of approval should be a prerequisite, but given James current state of mind it will be of great assistance.
-
Good point @Al Norris. The drawings also may have helped Will in his recovery, by reviewing them he could see the progress he was making, or worst case scenario not making, which in of itself would be useful. In addition, to be completely mercenary, how good were the drawings. If they were very good Will could perhaps have exhibited them and made money from their sale, something which is concerning him at present.
-
I am very pleased to see you like them. I remember buying Dreamboat Annie on vinyl on the strength of Magic Man, which was a big hit in Australia, and being very impressed. I was 13 at the time and had no idea that a female led rock band, with one of said females playing a guitar, and both females being primary songwriters, was an unusual scenario. I just knew I liked them and I thought Ann had one helluva voice. And Barracuda took them to a whole new level. What an introduction. I had no idea they were big Led Zeppelin fans until many years later. I like Heart's version of Stairway to Heaven too (just as I do Dolly's).
-
You are missing the point Leon is making @weinerdog. As everyone knows, all fags are rampantly promiscuous and want to fuck all males they meet regardless of said males age, appearance, standard of hygiene, perceived sexuality and any number of other things which reduces their appeal. A tiresome fallacy, much like all fags "just haven't met the right woman yet" or "what a waste". Clearly some straight men do not possess mirrors.
-
Aidan has proven himself a caring, compassionate and genuine friend to Will. I daresay Will would find no comfort from his parents for his suicide attempt, it would be another "sin" to admonish him for and for which he could not be allowed to darken their door. I am not a psychiatrist or mental health expert, but did Aidan do the right think by savagely ripping the pictures of Will's suicidal fantasies from his sketchbook, shredding them and then setting fire to them? Such a response sounds awfully like a judgment of Will to me, an admonishment of bad or unacceptable behaviour. Will this response have a detrimental effect on Will, particularly given he will not be able to discuss it with Aidan as the person whom has shouldered much of the care for him while he recovers. If it troubles Will, will he have the courage to mention it to Dr Wohler given he is Aidan's professor? Well written and wholly believable @Josh Aterovis.
- 19 comments
-
- 12
-
-
-
A Little Taste of Maybe
Summerabbacat commented on Jeff Burton's story chapter in A Little Taste of Maybe
"I crept out of my room and made my way downstairs, slow and careful, always thankful for the old carpet muffling my steps." "For a second, I thought about taking my car. But I didn’t. I never used it when I snuck out to the diner. Starting the engine was too loud, too obvious, too easy to hear through the thin old windows of the house." What a grave disappointment you are Robert. You cannot even provide adequate and attractive housing for your family. Why aren't you trying harder. Old carpet and thin old windows; not fucking good enough you slacker, how many times do you need to be told. The Jones' next door have beautiful hardwood floors with expensive rugs and beautiful new properly sealed windows which save them a great deal of money on heating and cooling, and yet we are forced to live in this dump because you are a failure as a bread winner. Useless, fucking useless as a husband and as a father. A glimpse of a shy and uncertain Luca made the confident and self-assured Luca just that much more attractive. What was the motivation for this sudden shyness and uncertainty? Did it have a sexual element to it (after all isn't EVERYTHING about sex)? It seems to me, who has no artistic talent at all, that Jamie's drawing is his sustenance, his passion, his will to live? Has his father ever seen any of his drawings or is he so close-minded he has never troubled himself to look? -
Jamie has had to endure far too much of this from Daddy dearest and his enabler Mommie dearest: Jamie needs to take heed of Mariah's wise words (I know, very hard to believe, but ......): Daddy dearest is an ogre, sitting stony-faced at the head of the table, like some neanderthal relic, waiting whilst Mommie dearest is in the kitchen rattling them pots and pans. Jamie arrives and without any greeting at all, Daddy dearest begins listing his disappointments in Jamie, Jamie's weaknesses of character, and Jamie's alleged failures. Daddy dearest previously expressed his dismay regarding Jamie's inability to have a discussion; he is not interested in a discussion as he has already written the script for Jamie and if Jamie diverts from the script the tantrum throwing begins. Forget the mild heart "episode" for Daddy dearest @Jeff Burton, bring on the full-on heart attack, and not the kind Olivia Newton-John sang about.
-
If that is Heartless as performed by your "cousins" Ann and Nancy, then that is a good thing, no scratch that, a great thing @Lee Wilson. It is hard to believe Ann is 75 and Nancy 71. It only seems like yesterday they captured my attention with their Magic Man, startled me with their Barracuda, and fortunately Never left us Alone or Stranded without a dose of These Dreams. Did they ever go Crazy On You or were rock bands led by chicks not your style?
-
What Dad wants Dad expects to get @drsawzall as it is he who must be obeyed. If he does not get what he wants he throws tantrums and threatens to force Jamie into homelessness. Mum enables this behaviour by never standing up to Dad and calling him out on being a bully. Perhaps he has tried the same shit on her and she also just gave in because it was easier to do so. He needs a visit from my Frida. “I don’t understand why it’s so damn difficult to have a conversation with you,” my dad said, his voice sharp as he flipped his newspaper with a flourish. “Your Uncle Greg wanted to talk to you last night, get a real sense of how school is going, maybe even help you see that wasting your time at a community college isn’t the way to go. You should’ve finished that damn application to State by now, like we’ve been trying to get you to do for the last five months.” Dad is not one for self-examination is he, but I guess when you are perfect it is a waste of time. Is Dad an egomaniac, or a parent whom is disappointed in what they have achieved themselves and is trying to live out success through his child. Maybe, but I think your analysis is on the mark @drsawzall, Dad wants and demands a "trophy" son, one he can show off and make himself more important, the doting dad who has nurtured this wonderful son, a "chip off the old block". Luca has walked a mile in Jamie's shoes before so he has a good idea of what is going on. Luca threw off the shackles of his parents, was it because he was stronger or more resilient than Jamie, or has he become like this due to having to fend for himself? Some very profound thoughts tormented Jamie in this chapter, none moreso than "Shame isn’t water-soluble". Methinks Robert is due a reality check @Jeff Burton, a come to Jesus moment. Perhaps a mild heart "episode" or a "concerning" colonoscopy result, a paternity suit filed by a former colleague with whom he had an affair or a poor work performance review.
-
Jeff is a jerk. His parents are trying to make him see reason, but it does not appear to be working. I am wondering why he is home-schooled @Lee Wilson? I can understand why Michael is if the closest school for him is 2 hours away and he cannot be accommodated at a "mainstream" school, but why is Jeff not going to the local high school? Leon appeared to be pleasant enough initially, but he revealed later in the chapter he is just as big a jerk as Jeff when it comes to gay people. Is he delusional, thinking that any gay boy at school will want to hit on him? I am very interested to see what direction the characters lead you with this one @Lee Wilson.
-
But do you have a h(e)art Corey?
-
And people are still dismayed when I say I am not a fan of children. Give me a cat any day, even if they do bite on occasion.
