Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 158 Words
  • 170 Views
  • 4 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Light & Dragonflies: Nature Poems/Love Poems - 6. The Dreaming Mind

.

Das Denken träumt

Gelächter reimt die Straßen

zum Tanz des Blutes

schläfenaufundab

Die Adern blinzeln Frühling durch die Knospen

und schlürfen tief den schweren Himmel ein

Wind spielt der Augen froh geschwellte Segel

der Stirne Knoten löst vom Tode sich

weiß über Wiesen schnattern Dörfer hin

Die Städte fauchen

und zankend zerrn die Pulse ihre Zügel

nur deine Seele spielt im Sternjasmin

Lieb-Brüderchen Maßloslieb-Schwesterlein

 

   --------------------------------- 

 

The dreaming mind

rhymes laughter in the street-scapes

to the gambol of the gut’s

temporal movement

Primavera ores squint through burgeoning buds

to deeply savor the pendulous sky

A joyful wind plays through the sails of the eye

while the knot of brows is loosened by death

and hamlets chatter blank across the fields

The cities sizzle

squabbling to feel their pulse hard upon the reins

while you, little-lover brother, sister

take time to play among the star jasmine

 

 

spacer.png

 

 

 

 

_

 

Copyright © 2023 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 3
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

As has been true throughout this collection, the images painted are vivid, and they have me traveling in different directions all at once. Thank you for posting this and for the entire collection. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 8/29/2023 at 7:11 PM, Parker Owens said:

As has been true throughout this collection, the images painted are vivid, and they have me traveling in different directions all at once. Thank you for posting this and for the entire collection. 

Thank you, Parker. Vivid is right, which is why I choose some of the words I do. I try to capture the overall spirit of original; its pulse, if you will. And this poem is rather unusual from Runge. We're offered glimpses of streetscapes!

Thanks again 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 8/30/2023 at 8:01 AM, ReaderPaul said:

Vivid, vibrant, visual.  Beautiful.

Oh, and I liked it very much.

Thank you, ReaderPaul! I'll take visual, vibrant and vivid -- but love 'beautiful.' I think a lot of German Expressionist poetry in English translations never even considered there's an aspect of beauty to the originals. I hope to quash that concept forever. 

Runge's work is very inspiring to me

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..