Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 150 Words
  • 172 Views
  • 4 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

a Glass Floor Underfoot - 18. a gaze desiring closeness

.

Die Bäder

 

4.

Der ich – verbuhlt in alle Schönheit leide

Und immerfort in neuem Beben wanke

Und in die Irre gehe – ich bemerke

Euch, kaum-Beseelte, da Ihr Eure schlanken

 

Gebräunten Glieder ans Geländer lehnet

Den Springern zuseht und den Taucher-Spielen

Und Euren Blick, der keine Fernen sehnet,

Und nichts von Sternen träumt und dunklen Zielen.

 

---------------------------------

 

 

The Public Baths

4.

It’s I – who suffers the love of beauty’s form

Who staggers beneath every new heart tremor

Who will often go astray – I notice you

Barely animated, beside yourself, as

 

You lean tanned, lithe limbs against the railing

Watching the divers and the swimmers at play

With a gaze desiring closeness, and of dreams

Viewing merely stars and their gloomy prospects.

 

 

spacer.png

Giovanni Giacometti Young Bather (1911)

 

 

 

 

 

_

Copyright © 2022 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 4
 
 
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Once upon a time, I felt such thoughts as these, watching another also watching, and knowing one is not the one in view. The simplicity  in the yearning expressed here is beautiful. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Parker Owens said:

Once upon a time, I felt such thoughts as these, watching another also watching, and knowing one is not the one in view. The simplicity  in the yearning expressed here is beautiful. 

Thank you, Parker. I too think Robert Jentzsch did wonders with this bathhouse collection. Hopefully he will now make it into more Gay anthologies.

Thanks again! 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Beautiful poem AC.  I love the picture also.  In fact I have 4 similar framed reproductions by different artists from the same time period of nude males swimming or sailing.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 10/7/2022 at 11:35 PM, raven1 said:

Beautiful poem AC.  I love the picture also.  In fact I have 4 similar framed reproductions by different artists from the same time period of nude males swimming or sailing.

Thank you, raven1! I haven't attempted to post pieces with artwork before, even for the poems I post in the Great Mirror of Same-Sex Love. With them it might seem easy to find images that date from the era of the poem and portrays an aspect of Gay love. But I find it hard to do and limit an appreciation of the poem. 

But with these Robert Jentzsch, I think I've found my stride :) Thank you for mentioning the artwork; it's a fun challenge to find them 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..