Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 1,094 Words
  • 1,301 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2021 - Fall - Potluck Entry

Circle of Life - 1. Circle of Life, story

Only Visiting

This story was inspired by the song Nur zu Besuch (Only visiting) by The Toten Hosen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMd84Z71Pw8

Circle of Life

Heavy sheets of mist rise from the small brook meandering through the valley hidden between rolling hills. Frozen dewdrops glisten like scattered diamonds. Some treetops barely emerge from October’s billowing skirts, their leaves stretching against the first rays of morning sun. Autumnal colors still defy this year’s completion of the circle of life. A chilly breeze carries the idea of winter.

 

“I can’t see our favorite trail from up here. You found it on our first bigger hiking tour. As soon we left the car, you pulled me to that small path along the creek. It was the perfect beginner’s adventure. You took your first swim of many, still on the leash; you were so small I didn’t dare to take it off yet. Everything was new and exciting for us. I’ll never forget your surprisingly loud snorts as you pushed your tiny nose into the damp soil, flattening the last green blades of the year. What was that smell? Fox? Badger? Racoon? There were plenty of sticks to throw and lots of squirrels to hunt. When you finally fell asleep, exhausted from all the new impressions, I sat on a tree stump and watched the birds. I remember the snow sparrows’ angry calls. Although the mighty predator-to-be was dreaming peacefully by my feet, their eyes didn’t leave you the entire time. There was no need to defend their territory against us. Right?

“In spring, you still tried to jam your head between those rust-speckled rods of the little bridge with the faded yellow railing down by the sheep pasture, although it didn’t fit anymore and you barked at the drakes fighting over the last unmated ducks. I almost had a heart attack when you jumped in the water, proudly bringing me some of their waterlogged feathers—without an attached duck. Thank God. I always meant to ask you if me feeding you those pieces of duck jerky gave you ideas.

 

“I know I haven’t been here since we gave your ashes over to the wind. I simply didn’t have the heart. I’m sorry. Everyone at home misses you. Mrs. Lange from down the street finally stopped bringing you chew toys and milk drops after I suggested she donate them to the shelter.

“Fun facts: the grass is growing back along the garden fence at last, since you’re not patrolling along it anymore. And the postman dares to wait close by the door now instead of a few meters away. You never bit him, at least to my knowledge. Don’t doggy-grin at me.

“Your pillow on the windowsill feels oddly abandoned. The cats mostly ignore it. We think they still consider it yours, maybe because parts of your fur are practically woven into its fabric. Now that winter is close, li’l Charlie sometimes jumps on it, but never lies down. She misses you. I guess she wants her big, furry cuddle buddy back to counter the cold. I suppose, we’re a poor substitute, even though we try.

https://gayauthors.org/gallery/image/16660-nox-satelitejpg/

“And no one licks the yogurt cups clean anymore.....

“Ah... There you are. Gleaming eyes and shiny fur. You’re looking good. The happy hunting grounds become you. Now that you’re here, I want to introduce you to Mr. X.

https://i.redd.it/6pn6zdc6owd31.jpg

“We didn’t want another dog. It hurt so much when you moved on, although we knew it had to happen for you to be free of pain. No one can ever replace you in our hearts and home. But maybe we can make a little more room for him. The couch was too big without you, and the cats don’t dance around us, wagging their tails, when we come home like you did. They don’t protect us against home invaders with loud barks and accompany us on our walks and hikes. Nature looks different without you.

“Wait, I’m going to sit down and pull his wriggle-butt into my lap—so, now you can take a hearty sniff and look each other in the eyes.

“Mr. X. is not his final name, mind you. At least I hope not. And you’re retired now and don’t have to help me with my questions anymore. The thing is, Mal wants to name him Oolong. Can you imagine? Only because there was a Shar-Pei somewhere along his bloodline, he wants to saddle this poor guy with a tea name! Can you see me calling Oooooooo-long, heel? Stop hunting the bunnies, Ooooolong! That would be ridiculous and people would have yet another reason to shake their heads at us. Everyone already wondered about our naming skills when we called you after a Harry Potter charm. We always said it’s because of your dark, black fur. You and I, however, know we chose it because it sounded badass. Night...without a ‘k’.

“Anyway, I think Friedrich is perfect for the new guy, shortened to Fritz when he is a good boy, and Friedrich! when he is bad and chews on my boots. What do you think? If I tell Mal you said Friedrich is a good name, he will give in. Help?

“How about we walk the trail one last time, all three of us, and you show the little one all the good spots? He can take his first swim and try to catch some of the leaves swirling in the wind. You always had so much fun trying doing that in fall. You watch him, and then you decide if he look like a Friedrich—or an Oolong.

“Careful, those stones are slippery! Ah, shit! I hope I have a towel in the car. Well, I said you could take your first swim today, buddy. Nooo! Don’t shake your fur!

“The snow sparrows aren’t happy with us again. Uff! We have to teach you not to pull on your leash so hard. I almost landed in the water. That was a squirrel, by the way. Probably tasty, but you’ll never catch them. They can run up the trees. Right Nox?

“Ah, here comes the bridge. And of course, your head goes between the rods. In spring though, only your nose will fit. I saw it before.

“That’s the sheep pasture. With luck, there will be bunnies.

“I can see you want to go. Okay, I think we’ve kept you long enough. Before you run off, what’s the verdict? Oolong or Friedrich?

“He said Friedrich. Right, Fritz?”

Thank you for reading my farewell conversation with Nox, our beautiful collie-German shepherd, who moved on to better grounds in February, after being with us for fifteen years.
:thankyou: to @Valkyrie doing a terrific editing and beta reading job once again. Thank you @Parker Owens for proof reading and for the vote.
Copyright © 2021 Aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 12
  • Sad 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2021 - Fall - Potluck Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

10 hours ago, Headstall said:

Very wet cheeks and a quivering lip... my smile is sad, but it's there. The memories we have of our animal children--they're not 'pets'--live on past their too-short lives... and sooner or later, they remind us we can give another 'kid' a good home, one who will give us a companionable love we can't get anywhere else. This was beautiful and touching, Adi. Thank you for sharing, and good fortune with Ooolong... or Fritz. He's a lucky boy. Cheers!

His spots are still empty, we miss him every day. Thank you for reading my rambling, Gary. :hug:

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Mawgrim said:

A moving story. Animals become such a part of our lives. 

Thank you, Mawgrim. Yes, our lives would be colder without them.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

I was moved reading this. This is a beautiful and touching story. 

Thank you, Parker. :hug:

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Adi, I was going to leave a review but couldn't. Did you know the story is marked as being on temporary hold? Shouldn't it be marked as complete?

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Adi, I was going to leave a review but couldn't. Did you know the story is marked as being on temporary hold? Shouldn't it be marked as complete?

Ooops, no.Thank you for telling me. I have to ask someone to change that

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Aditus said:

His spots are still empty, we miss him every day. Thank you for reading my rambling, Gary. :hug:

I think others would agree with me, we have not read your rambling, we have read an outpouring of love, that says a lot about you as a person. Thank you for sharing your memories.

Edited by Mancunian
  • Love 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I know how much Nox meant to you and how much you miss him :hug: This is a lovely tribute.  I love the conversation and was right there on the walk with all of you.  I definitely heard Nox say Friedrich ;)  

 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Mancunian said:

I think others would agree with me, we have not read your rambling, we have read an outpouring of love, that says a lot about you as a person. Thank you for sharing your memories.

Thank you for your kind words, Mancunian. :hug:

  • Love 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I know how much Nox meant to you and how much you miss him :hug: This is a lovely tribute.  I love the conversation and was right there on the walk with all of you.  I definitely heard Nox say Friedrich ;)  

 

Friedrich   it is. :) The majority spoke. Thank you for walking that path with me. :hug:

  • Love 3
Link to comment

As a dog person and someone who grew up with his best, four-legged friends, I can still remember and recall all the silly things they got into, and some of the not so silly things. Like the time my dog Thunder decided to chase a skunk one late spring evening. He had snapped the leash, went after the skunk and got sprayed!

Not content, Thunder found a puddle, washed his face and went back for more!!

Thank you for sharing this, it brought back so many wonderful memories!!!

I vote for Friedrich as well!

Edited by drsawzall
  • Love 3
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

As a dog person and someone who grew up with his best, four-legged friends, I can still remember and recall all the silly things they got into, and some of the not so silly things. Like the time my dog Thunder decided to chase a skunk one late spring evening. He had snapped the leash, went after the skunk and got sprayed!

Not content, Thunder found a puddle, washed his face and went back for more!!

Thank you for sharing this, it brought back so many wonderful memories!!!

I vote for Friedrich as well!

Perfect! Thank you for telling me about Thunder's adventure. :)

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Your story reminded me of the joy of getting a puppy, watching it grow, and the many marvelous adventures we had together, as well as the quieter moments when we cuddled together and merely enjoyed each other's  company.  Your story also brought back the pain of losing my dear friend when the time came, and the many months it took me to get over the loss.  Thank you for this touching story and the many memories it rekindled.   

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Bill W said:

Your story reminded me of the joy of getting a puppy, watching it grow, and the many marvelous adventures we had together, as well as the quieter moments when we cuddled together and merely enjoyed each other's  company.  Your story also brought back the pain of losing my dear friend when the time came, and the many months it took me to get over the loss.  Thank you for this touching story and the many memories it rekindled.   

Thank you  for your comment, Bill. I loved  that my story rekindled some of your memories, sad and happy. :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..