Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 2,359 Words
  • 2,039 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

I’ll Be Home for Christmas - 1. Chapter 1 - I'll Be Home For Christmas

The year 2020 has been a rough one, with the COVID-19 pandemic changing the way we live and how we do things. Even though certain segments of the population have tried to downplay the severity of the situation, I’ve taken it seriously and tried to follow the suggested recommendations to lessen the spread of the disease. I wear a mask whenever I leave my apartment, try to social distance by keeping at least six feet away from anyone else, and most of all I’ve done my best to help protect my elderly parents.

I suppose you’re wondering how I do this, so I’ll explain. Luckily, I did some of the groundwork for it over the summer without even knowing about the virus and well before news of the pandemic had hit the US. Now, I’m simply building on what I’d done previously.

“Mom and Dad,” I began during one of our Zoom chats, “I’m adding you to my Netflix, Apple TV, and HBO Max accounts so you’ll have even more to choose from so you’ll be entertained during the pandemic.”

“We appreciate that, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to add those things to our TV,” my dad replied.

“Sure you will, because I’ll walk you through it. You watched when I added the Roku device to your TV and walked you through adding the other apps so you could use them. You’ve already got Hulu and CBS All Access, because I knew that’s the network you watch the most, and now I’m going to give you even more choices.

“I know you can do this because I had you add the others and you even took notes on Open Office when I walked you through adding those apps. You did that in case something happened to your TV and you had to replace it, because we knew if that happened then you’d have to add the apps all over again. This will be just about the same as doing that, so use your notes and I’ll be here to help out if you’re having problems.”

“Ok, I’ll give it a try.”

It wasn’t quite as bad as pulling teeth and I eventually talked him through the process of adding those apps as well. Once that was taken care of, I got down to the next item on my list of things I wanted them to do in order to stay safe.

“I want you to start ordering everything you need online and have it delivered to the house. That way you won’t have to go out and possibly expose yourself to this virus.”

“Your mother and I appreciate that, but we’ll still have to go grocery shopping.”

“No, because you can order your groceries online as well and have them delivered. I’ve already checked and the grocery store you use offers that service.”

“But we can’t afford to pay a delivery charge every week just to get our groceries.”

“Don’t worry about it, because I’ll cover the added expense for you. I’ll transfer money to your account to cover all the extra fees you might incur. I want you to start ordering everything online, including your medications.”

“Our Medicare Advantage plans already provide for our prescriptions to be delivered through the mail, along with many of the over-the-counter supplies we use.”

“That’s great, so we’ll just tell the delivery people to leave the items on the porch and ring the doorbell, and then you can bring them inside after they leave.”

“Thank you for helping us out with these things. We really appreciate it.”

“You’re welcome and I’m doing this because I love you and want to keep you safe.”

Now that we’ve established this plan, whenever something is delivered to the house, my dad goes out to collect the items shortly after the delivery person leaves. He brings everything into the house, and then he and my mother unpack those items and put them away. After they finish, he and my mother wash their hands thoroughly to prevent contracting the disease through contact with the bags and boxes they were delivered in. This means the farthest that either of my parents will have to venture away from the house is to the porch or the mailbox, and they always wear a mask to do this as well, in case they run into a neighbor along the way.

I’m extremely grateful that my parents have each other for company, but I also have Zoom chats with them on the weekends, as well as speaking with them by phone on a daily basis. I do this so I can make sure they have everything they need and are staying safe and healthy.

Even though I have a sibling, I’ve taken the brunt of the responsibility, because my sister, Jennifer, has her own family to worry about. Don’t get me wrong, because she also stays in touch with our parents, just not as often as I do. This doesn’t mean the situation has been easy for any of us, but we’re all doing our best to make the most of a bad situation.

This would probably be a good time to tell you a little about myself. My name is Jeremy and I work at the local hospital as an MRI and Radiologic Technologist, so I’m in the vicinity of infected people all day long and don’t wish to transfer the risk to my family. My partner, Tony, works at the hospital as well, but he’s an ER nurse and doesn’t have any family to worry about. His parents disowned him when he came out as gay, so my family has sort of adopted him. We’re not married, but we live together, and my family includes Tony in everything we do, that is until the pandemic struck. Now, he merely joins me when I connect with them online.

My sister’s husband, Brad, works in the IT department for a major firm, and she is a medical transcriptionist, so they’re both able to work from home. This worked out well when the schools closed and their children were doing remote learning from home, because the two of them would take turns focusing on their job and working with their son and daughter, Nathan and Melanie.

Thanksgiving was another difficult time for us, because we usually all gathered at my parents’ house for the holiday. My mom takes charge of fixing the turkey while Jennifer and I supply the other dishes and the desserts. We merely heat those items up in Mom’s oven when we get there, but this year none of this was possible. Instead, we all ended up having Thanksgiving separately, at our own homes, since we didn’t want to take the chance of infecting each other.

“I’m going to prepare a turkey and the typical side dishes this year,” Jennifer stated, “so not much will change for us, except that we won’t all be together this year.”

“I don’t know what I’m going to do,” our mom responded sounding perplexed. “Your father and I won’t be able to eat an entire turkey by ourselves, and it doesn’t make any sense to let most of it go to waste, so maybe I’ll just roast a chicken instead.”

“Or you can do like Tony and I will be doing. We’re going to order a frozen turkey breast instead of an entire turkey, and that will be plenty for the two of us.”

“That’s a good idea,” Mom agreed. “I think I’ll do that as well, and I’ll also fix a couple of side dishes, just in smaller amounts.”

“And we’ve all got to have a pumpkin pie,” Brad urged.

“Yes, we’ll do that as well,” Mom concurred, “but I’ll only make a small pumpkin pie for the two of us.”

“Jeremy and I will get a large pumpkin pie so we’ll have enough for the entire weekend,” Tony chipped in, which caused the others to laugh at his response.

“We’ll connect on Zoom when we sit down to eat, just like we’re doing now,” I suggested. “That way we can still enjoy the meal together and chat with each other at the same time.”

Actually, Thanksgiving Day went better than any of us anticipated, although we missed the hugs, kisses, and handshakes that we usually shared with one another. However, as I said earlier, we made the best of a bad situation.

That evening, once we’d ended our online session, I started thinking ahead to Christmas. It was going to be much harder to adjust to that holiday, since it’s not just a meal that we’d be sharing with each other and there will be a lot more involved. Let me explain.

My sister and her husband’s two children, Nathan and Melanie, make the excitement of opening presents nearly as much fun as it was for us when Jennifer and I were growing up. I don’t think any of us want to miss out on that, so we’ve agreed to order our gifts online and then have them delivered to the home of the person it was meant for. We’ll put Brad’s name on the package containing Jennifer’s gift so he can wrap it for us, and vice versa. We will also do the same with Mom and Dad’s presents, but we’ll address Nathan and Melanie’s gifts to Jennifer, since she does a better job wrapping packages.

While thinking about how strange Christmas is going to be this year, I suddenly realized this isn’t the first time this has happened and we aren’t the only ones who have been unable to go home for Christmas. This caused me to remember something my mother would tell me every year before she played one of her favorite Christmas songs.

“This was my mother’s favorite Christmas song and it kept her going when my father was away in the army during World War II. It’s sort of a family tradition now to play this, and I’ll continue doing it to honor my parents’ memory, since they’ve both passed away”

She would then play Johnny Mathis’ version of I’ll Be Home for Christmas, although I believe her mother preferred Bing Crosby’s version. The song was written in 1943 by Walter Kent and Kim Gannon, and it was written from the perspective of a World War II soldier who was fighting overseas. The lyrics go like this:

I’m dreaming tonight of a place I love
Even more than I usually do
And although I know it’s a long road back
I promise you

I’ll be home for Christmas
You can count on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents by the tree

Christmas eve will find me
Where the love light gleams
I’ll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams

 

The third and fourth stanzas are then repeated with minor variations, but I believe you now understand what I’m getting at. Even after World War II ended, the song didn’t lose its significance for those who were away fighting in other wars in later years, nor for others who were unable to return home due to other reasons. It has become a Christmas favorite and is one of the most popular songs played during the Christmas holiday.

Although our situation is similar, the circumstances aren’t nearly as dire. Lives are still at risk, even though no bullets are flying – well maybe there are some viral bullets flying around this time, but we now have technology on our side to lessen the pain of being apart. We’ll be able to stay in touch using our computers and smart phones, so we won’t be nearly as isolated as those soldiers were. In fact, we probably should change the last stanza of the song as follows:

Christmas eve will find me
Where our love lights bloom
I’ll be home for Christmas
Even if only on Zoom

On Christmas morning, Jennifer called my parents, as well as Tony and me. She asked Nathan and Melanie to wait until the rest of us had made our connections on the computer, and then we got to watch the kids as they excitedly opened their presents. After we watched them open all of their gifts, including the presents from Santa, Melanie spoke first.

“Thank you for all the wonderful things you gave me. I love you Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle Jeremy, and Uncle Tony. I just wish I could give all of you a hug and a kiss.”

“Yeah, thanks for all this neat stuff,” Nathan added. “I was wonderin’ if we were gonna get anything from you guys this year.”

“Oh, we’ll always find a way to get our favorite grandchildren their presents,” their grandfather replied with a chuckle.

“Hey, we’re your only grandchildren.” Nathan challenged.

“For now, at least until your Uncle Jeremy and Uncle Tony get married and start a family of their own.”

We stayed connected as the rest of us watched each other open our gifts. Once everything had been unwrapped and those giving the present had been thanked, we remained online together while the children went off to enjoy the various items they received this year.

“Bye. I’m gonna go play with some of this new stuff,” Nathan informed us.

“And I wanna go try on some of the new clothes I just got,” Melanie added.

“You two go ahead and we’ll see you again when we all sit down for Christmas dinner,” their grandmother replied.

Before we ended our session so we could fix breakfast, wash up, and get dressed, we agreed on the time when we would all sit down for Christmas dinner. We would reconnect at that time so we’d be able to enjoy our meals together and the day would continue as normally as we could manage.

Once again, we’ll miss the hugs, kisses, and handshakes we usually share when we’re together, but considering that we are doing this to protect each other, it’s a small sacrifice. I hope all of you are able to manage doing something similar this year while you’re enjoying a safe and very merry Christmas Day.

 

THE END.

Copyright © 2020 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 minute ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Anyone who can honestly say that they didn't feel their heartstrings  :heart: being pulled, or the need to reach for kleenex (facial tissue) while reading this wonderful short story, check your blood pressure and heart because something ain't working.

Bill, this is a great Christmas tale for 2020.  It can also apply to other holidays when family & friends can't be together.:glomp:

Bill, Thank You, for this wonderful early Christmas Gift.

With hopes & wishes yule (ooh :whistle:) have a Merry Christmas too, knowing our gift to you is thanks for your continuing stories that bring comfort and joy to many.

:thankyou::thankyou:

Tony B

Tony, thank you for your kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed it.  Stay safe and have a Merry Christmas, along with all of the other GA members.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, flesco said:

Wow! Thank you so much Bill for showing us the way to get together through the holidays with happiness, love, laughter, safety and protected health. These are small sacrifices in the grand scheme, but are extremely important to protect the vulnerable. I can only hope that everyone follows these simple guidelines so that we can all celebrate next year in person. 😃❤️

Thanks, flesco, and it's not only so we can celebrate with our loved ones next year, but that all of our loved ones will stay healthy and still be around next year, and not a statistic of the pandemic.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Thanks Bill.   In a year when the CDC recommends against traveling and still millions traveled over Thanksgiving and now we keep hitting higher daily deaths, higher daily hospital rates and still people are making plans for getting together for Christmas with people outside of their usual pod....

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Daddydavek said:

Thanks Bill.   In a year when the CDC recommends against traveling and still millions traveled over Thanksgiving and now we keep hitting higher daily deaths, higher daily hospital rates and still people are making plans for getting together for Christmas with people outside of their usual pod....

I know, DaddyD, and that's why I wrote this story.  I wanted to show that we aren't the first to find ourselves in this situation and there are other ways we can still enjoy the holidays without putting our families and the community at risk.  I hope this does some good and maybe saves a few lives.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Thanks for a great Christmas story, that really pulls the heart strings. It shows that with a bit of tech wizardry that families can get together for Christmas, whilst staying safe.

Here in the UK, we're aloud a 3 family bubble for 5 days over Christmas 🎄.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Thanks for the feedback, Chris, and I'm glad you agree with my solution.  I just want everyone to make sure the have a happy and safe holiday season, no matter which religion they adhere to and which holiday they celebrate.  By being smart you not only save yourself, but your loved ones and friends as well.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I have been wearing a mask every time I go out since March or April. I am so tired of this F***ing pandemic we have lost too many
but anyways great story and I also love that song 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, haines87 said:

I have been wearing a mask every time I go out since March or April. I am so tired of this F***ing pandemic we have lost too many
but anyways great story and I also love that song 

I have also been wearing a mask whenever I go out. Hang in there and don't get discouraged by having to do these things.  It only takes a momentary lapse in judgment to put yourself at risk. It's been my favorite song too, since I spent a Christmas away from my family when I was in the army.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Bill W said:

I have also been wearing a mask whenever I go out. Hang in there and don't get discouraged by having to do these things.  It only takes a momentary lapse in judgment to put yourself at risk. It's been my favorite song too, since I spent a Christmas away from my family when I was in the army.  

Thank you for your service Bill when were you in? My dad was in the Army Rangers 82nd Airborne. he was in i think about the late 70's and he got out in 1980

Edited by haines87
  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, haines87 said:

Thank you for your service Bill when were you in? My dad was in the Army Rangers 82nd Airborne. he was in i think about the late 70's and he got out in 1980

I was in the army in the late 60s, early 70s.  The height of the Viet Nam War.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment

A very appropriate story for all of us.  We all have different circumstances from each other but this story serves as an example for everyone.  Too bad it can't get circulated even more.  Thanks for this.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Terry P said:

A very appropriate story for all of us.  We all have different circumstances from each other but this story serves as an example for everyone.  Too bad it can't get circulated even more.  Thanks for this.

 

You're welcome, and thank you for the kind word.  I hope this encourages GA members to stay safe this Christmas.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Being a musician and former Chorale Member I loved how you edited that last stanza of “I’ll be home for Christmas”. I hope that you don’t mind but I shared that on my Facebook Feed and have given you the credit. In the last 30 minutes it has received 30 loves from my friends and family, including my High School Choral Director and my Spanish Teacher. Bill, thank you for the touching story and may you and you family have a safe and Merry Christmas 🎄 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
55 minutes ago, Dewilmnative said:

Being a musician and former Chorale Member I loved how you edited that last stanza of “I’ll be home for Christmas”. I hope that you don’t mind but I shared that on my Facebook Feed and have given you the credit. In the last 30 minutes it has received 30 loves from my friends and family, including my High School Choral Director and my Spanish Teacher. Bill, thank you for the touching story and may you and you family have a safe and Merry Christmas 🎄 

Jrm, I don't mind at all that you shared that and I'm glad that you did.  Maybe it will give others an idea about how they can still have a family Christmas without having to do it in person.  Thank you for your well wishes and may you and your family have a safe and Merry Christmas, along with all of the members of the GA family.  By the way, although I was planning to change the last stanza, my editor Emoe57 helped me come up with that wording.  

Edited by Bill W
  • Like 4
Link to comment

What a great story for Christmas 2020! It is a fun story with some sound advice tucked in here and there. It is certainly worth remembering for future holidays and other gatherings when we're forced to be apart! Thanks for sharing this and Merry Christmas to you and your family! Ho Ho Ho!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

What a great story for Christmas 2020! It is a fun story with some sound advice tucked in here and there. It is certainly worth remembering for future holidays and other gatherings when we're forced to be apart! Thanks for sharing this and Merry Christmas to you and your family! Ho Ho Ho!

Thanks, Jeffrey, and I'm glad you enjoyed this.  It was my effort to urge everyone to have a safe, yet happy, holiday season.  Merry Christmas to you and all of the other GA members, along with a healthy and safe New Year.  

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A heartwarming story written just for the times in which we find ourselves. Even now. 

You made me cry again! 😀

Thanks Bill for more of your great writing!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, NewEnglander said:

A heartwarming story written just for the times in which we find ourselves. Even now. 

You made me cry again! 😀

Thanks Bill for more of your great writing!

You're very welcome, and I feel as if I should send you a box of tissues, since I've caused you to use so many while reading my various stories.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 8/15/2021 at 1:04 AM, Bill W said:

You're very welcome, and I feel as if I should send you a box of tissues, since I've caused you to use so many while reading my various stories.  

Want my address?  :)  

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..