Jump to content
    C James
  • Author
  • 321 Words
  • 39,941 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Let the Music Play - Prologue. Prologue

A few months hence...

 

The dust bedeviled them... The dust always bedeviled them, or at least since the assembly process had begun. There was little choice in their location; striving in secrecy to convert the optical lens-grinding factory to something requiring far greater precision.

The man in the white cleanroom suit breathed the harsh air of the room, struggling under the glaring halogen lights, selecting his tools with practiced care; he steeled himself for the task at hand. Easing open the lid of their container with intense concern, he removed the first of the Kryton switches.

The switch, gleaming in the harsh light, resembled nothing so much as a large glass insect with spindly legs that had trod through gold. The man admired its fine precision before nesting it in the center of the divider assembly. These switches, he mused, had been the hardest components to procure and smuggle, the final item on their long list of exotic items to be obtained.

Installing the switch was not difficult; just secure it in a holder and connect the wires, making sure their gold-plated contacts were seated and sealed. Soon, the Kryton switch joined its brethren, further branching the thick wires, working in sequence to split the single wire into thirty-nine.

With the switches in place, the man attached the thirty-nine wires, each leading to one of the hexagon or pentagon-shaped explosive lenses, which had been assembled days before into a perfect sphere the size of a beach ball.

His task for the evening done, the clean-shaven, aging man closed the lid of the washing-machine sized bomb case, leaving the remaining assembly work for another, more rested technician. Checking his Geiger counter, the man breathed a faint sigh of relief as he stepped back from the assembly area, wondering with a faint vestige of curiosity what use would be made of this device, and the two others just like it.

©Copyright 2007 C James; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 46
  • Love 3
  • Wow 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Many thanks to my editor EMoe for editing and for his support, encouragement, beta reading, and suggestions.
Thanks also to Shadowgod, for beta reading, support and advice, and for putting up with me.
A big "thank you" to to Bondwriter for final Zeta-reading and advice, and to Captain Rick for Beta-reading and advice.
To Graeme; thank you for your wonderful idea, and your wise council and input at a very critical stage.
And to Bill, thank your for your expert advice.
Any remaining errors are mine alone.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm hooked. I wasn't able to see the pictures though. :(

 

Oh, and the story is listed as complete...didn't know if that was an error.

 

Ok, on to chapter one.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I read this before, twice before I think, and the sequel, over on the CJames site. But I saw you adding the chapters on here, and felt like reading it again.

....Let the story play. :D

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I forgot how interesting this prologue was :) This is definitely the opening that would grasp me again and tell me to read on.

 

So I think I will :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 2/26/2014 at 3:27 PM, Miles Long said:

My curiosity is definitely peaked. I look forward to finding what's what, thanks.

I think I must have skipped this prologue the first time around.  Far from piquing my interest, it would have scared me off!  I got hooked by the story of the roadie and his plight, and the incipient love story.  I got scared off a few chapters later, when things got ominous.  But I'm glad I came back, eventually, and finished the story.  It was nerve-wracking, but oh, so much fun.  I'm looking forward to a re-read, though I may do a bit of skipping, just to save my poor heart muscle from too much exertion, lol!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Just an ordinary work day, assembling a nuclear weapon. No biggie. lol

  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..