Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 999 Words
  • 2,476 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Denied - 104. Chapter 104

A hissing roar drowned out the shouts in the distance, and there was a flurry of activity around me. I still couldn’t see, couldn’t move, didn’t really want to. I was tired, so tired. In my short life, I’d lived lifetimes of pain and suffering, and I was done.

Regret pushed at the corners of my brain but not enough to want to stop it.

“Aparoe? He’s not breathing!”

“I’m trying. Stay calm, he needs you calm.”

“He’s not breathing! I can’t feel him! No! Get off me! Deke! Stop it!”

What was happening? Deke… that asshole had better… No.

“No fire, no fire, no fire.” The roar ended with the words chittering. “Move!” Metal screeched painfully, and I would have covered my ears if I could. “Burns, burns, burns.”

Chomper was there, close to me, his voice so loud he had to be right next to my head. “Oh, oh no. Come back!”

“Stay back, Chom—” Captain broke off when Chomper hissed.

“Not. Burns. No fire, no fire on ship. Bad, bad.”

“Someone, get a tranq down here.”

Tranquilizer? Were they going to hurt him again? They couldn’t!

“Please, Aparoe, you have to help him now!”

“I… I can’t. His block means all electrical impulses are negated the second they touch his body. I can’t get through.”

“Stars, no. Kohen, please,” Captain’s voice broke down then.

“You bad! You fire! Hurt.” His hiss heralded one of his outbursts.

“No,” Captain suddenly shouted. “Don’t do that, you’ll—”

Chomper roared in pain, and suddenly I could feel again. His back legs straddled my sides, half his body curled over my legs, and there was so much pain, so much burning. It was still arcing through my circuits…

I screamed, my throat stretched wide, and my shoulders arched off the ground. Chomper cradled my torso in his arms, his body nearly human but for the alien color of his skin, and the crackle of white-fire that bathed his entire form.

He was touching both the ports in the back of my neck, and I could feel the flames pouring out the terminals to dance up his arms.

“No fire. No fire in you. Go away, bad.” Chomper stared into my eyes, and I lived in the connection between us, breathing when I’d given up before, inhaling through the fire that slowly eased in tiny increments.

He was somehow connected to me, pulling the electricity still overloading my circuits out. The side of my brain responsible for rational thought had come online suddenly, like a restored system after a crash. Sharper, clearer, more knowing for all that I’d nearly crispified my brain in order to take out the threat to my family’s safety.

It was what I’d been trained for. What I knew. Those were my excuses, but in the end, deep inside, I’d wanted to feel Lakshou’s brain snuff out as I pulverized it. As I took out the evil tool he’d used to take my feeling of safety and security in the love I’d found.

As I made sure I couldn’t survive it so I wouldn’t have to live with knowing I’d become that ruthless. But all it took was for this innocent soul, for my Chomper, to be in danger.

And look at what he was doing. No idea if it was dangerous, no second thought about if he should… he just tried to help me. To take away the flames and fire. To follow the rules.

I snorted, or tried to, at least. I coughed and choked, my lungs tight and unwilling to open up to allow me to do more than take the shallowest of breaths.

But I was breathing.

Slowly, the fire in me eased. I still felt like there were things inside me that were wrong. Broken. But how much was hardware and how much was my soul?

“I want to go home,” I choked out.

 

We went home. Chomper stayed with me, the flames having no affect on him. But the electricity kept building back up in my body and I’d already set one bed on fire before we realized he needed to be touching me at all times to drain them off when it grew.

I refused to speak to the crew. To Deke. Captain.

He came, talked to me. Tried to touch me a few times, but the sadness grew in his eyes and he’d taken to flinching away every time I drew back, refusing to touch or talk or even acknowledge he was there.

Our land was still just as dry as ever. I’d be a danger to the landscape if there was much there to burn. But there wasn’t, so Chomper and I started taking little walks farther and farther down the rough-hewn roads.

We went back to the cliffs, the pool.

And every day my brain warred with itself. I had my bond to Chomper. It was stronger than ever. The tiny being I’d pulled from the remnants of the egg was growing each day. He ate voraciously, he absorbed my fire, and I think he grew more intelligent.

Or I lost my mind, not having anyone else to talk to.

Captain kept them all away, just like I insisted. At times, I felt the eyes, the trackers. I was being monitored.

But he gave me what I needed.

Time.

Until one day even that ran out.

“Hey, you selfish bastard, where are you hiding?” Deke’s voice rang out in the house “There you are. Get up, Kohen.” Deke stomped over, and Chomper flew in the window, tucking his wings and hissing, diving between us.

“Shut up, lizard. Hey, Kohen, you might have given up, wanted to die, or whatever the hell happened on that ship that you won’t talk to anyone about, but I will not sit by while my best friend dies. Captain is sick—you’ve broken your bond, you bastard, and he’s dying now.”

That got my attention. “What?” I croaked.

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 10
  • Wow 14
  • Sad 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh how ironic that Chomper and Deke have so much in common; both greater protectors and both bonded directly or indirectly to a life bonded couple. 

Chomper is amazing that he can absorb such tremendous energies as Kohens system is generating and seemingly convert it into greater strength, growth, and a more mature intelligence.  Chomper’s instinctual bond and love for Kohen has brought him back from death to now have a level of self awareness that acknowledges the other protector; that of his life bonded.

Deke may be crass, but what he lacks in couth he more than makes up for in dedication to Captain and by extension his crew family. To openly stand before and challenge Chomper, the adolescent lizard of fire 🔥, bringing Kohen’s level of awareness and hopefully healing of his life bond with Captain to his consciousness is every bit the hero warrior we’ve believed him to be!

This is a tough chapter I’m sure to write and try to convey the many aspects of alien instincts, emotions, bonds, healing, and the will to love and protect those dear to you; but I believe this to be a great chapter in doing exactly that! It’s a tough chapter in reminding us more of Kohen’s life of pain. But Kohen’s sacrifice to protect himself, his family and to destroy those trying to deny him those freedoms is a powerful message of love and survival.

Let’s hope the efforts of the protectors will indeed give us back the family and bonds that have defied all challengers.

Edited by Philippe
  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Chomper did come to the rescue. He is as selfless as Kohen when his loved ones are in harm's way.

Kohen is punishing himself for being remorseless with Lakshou. He wanted him to suffer and die. He thinks this makes him as bad as they are. He's a killer and he feels he must keep his contaminated soul isolated from everyone. It isn't too much different from his original state after his rescue. Let's hope the threat to Captain will bring him out of his isolation and self flagellation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Chomper to the rescue!! 🥰

Captain not being well is the best incentive to lift Kohen out of his funk!! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Kohen probably can't believe he's that important to anyone, so to him slipping away should be harmless. But he's obviously wrong. Will he dare establish the bond once more? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..