Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,001 Words
  • 4,769 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Denied - 40. Chapter 40

“That was… Kohen, I….” Captain stumbled over his words as he stared at me.

“Felt good.” I nuzzled his thigh, then sighed. “But you have to go. And you want me to stay here, with the guards, where it’s safe.” I hated that. I wanted to be with him, now that I wasn’t afraid that my mind was going to be taken from me.

He cupped my head, running his hand over my skull and then running his thumb along my cheekbone. “Yes. I don’t know exactly what these people were planning, even if Lakshou did run his mouth with you. For someone who managed to disguise his intentions for so long, he got damn cocky. But I don’t know if that was just because of you, or if there’s more to this than we know. Until then, I would have you stay safe. Not because I don’t trust you, but because I don’t trust them.”

“I know. I’ll stay here. But when we get to the planets, you won’t be able to keep me locked away from everything.”

Captain echoed my earlier sigh. “I know. But hopefully we’ll have had some more information and more time to plan.”

It was actual hard to watch him walk away as I sat on the bed. Exhausted by the surges of adrenaline paired with the physical and emotional release, I dropped onto the bunk with a sigh. The bed was as soft as ever, and my eyelids had rapidly gained weights that dragged them down.

I stripped and crawled under the covers, burrowing into the softness and safety I’d only ever felt here.

 

A hand on my leg startled me awake, and I kicked out, then rolled away.

“Ow! Shit.”

“Deke. What are you doing in here?” I sat up.

“Waking you up. Captain Querry wanted me to get you.” Deke rubbed his wrist. “You have wicked aim. Your eyes weren’t even open.” He wriggled his fingers.

“Don’t touch me while I’m sleeping.”

“Noted. Are you going to get up? We don’t have a lot of time.”

“Wait outside.” Once I’d gained the right to privacy, I found I liked it. Needed it. There was only one person I could tolerate seeing me vulnerable, especially if I had the choice.

“Sure.” Deke shook his head, mumbling under his breath. Of course, I could hear him, but I chose to ignore his grumbles. He shouldn’t have touched me; now he knew better. I’d pulled the kick—mostly.

I really needed to go back to my quarters. I hated pulling on dirty clothing, so I didn’t. I grabbed some of Captain’s off-duty clothes, not caring who saw me in them. With the way gossip moved around the ship, most of the crew probably knew exactly what was going on between us anyway.

“What’s going on?” I asked as I followed Deke off the bridge crew quarter deck.

“Probably best to wait to ask questions until we’re somewhere more secure.” Deke looked grim now that he wasn’t whining. Crew members were everywhere. Deke and I both had to shift sideways to accommodate the bulk of two Scimniocs who were so busy bowing to each other, they’d blocked almost all of the corridor. We had to hop over their third leg which was propped out sideways.

At least I thought it was a leg.

Deke acted like it was all commonplace as he moved among the crew, not stopping as they acknowledged him or asked him questions, just firing responses back and keeping Kohen moving. They finally reached the bridge level. It was much quieter there, and the crew there all moved with silent purpose.

Until Deke got to a door. He put his palm on the scanner and waited while it did a full scan, which also meant DNA. Captain was inside with several of his crew, including Kekillill and a few others I hadn’t met in person.

“Got him, Querry.” Deke gestured for me to go in. “Now I have shit to do, including seeing Aparoe’s assistant for my wrist.”

“It’s fine.” I rolled my eyes.

“Thank you,” Captain said. The door slid shut behind me. “What happened to his wrist? Did something happen on the way to my quarters or the way back?” He stood. “Are you okay?”

I went right up to him, unable to stay away even though every crew member in the room was watching us and I should be discreet. “He touched me while I was sleeping. I kicked him. He’s fine, just being a big baby.”

Captain scowled. “He touched you?” His voice lowered dangerously.

“Just my leg. It startled me, and I was already kicking out before I realized it was him, so I couldn’t fully stop. I managed not to break his arm, but he’ll have a bruise. He’s fine.”

“As long as you’re okay.” Captain put his hand on my back and nudged me to the seat next to his. “We have new developments. And some plans to make.”

“What new developments?”

“The ship’s crew has proven… difficult. Most of them are either deliberately kept ignorant of those in charge or their loyalty is ensured in very specific ways. But we have Freska Derkat, and she has gotten their ship to sing. Access codes, communications, waypoints where the ship has docked, everything. It’ll take some time for the crew to sift through it all, but I trust that we’ll have an accurate picture soon of the true conspirators with the Brox Consortium.

“We’re going to take them down.” He looked around the table and then took a deep breath. “Then retire.”

“What?” Kekillill’s eyes widened. “But you just got command of this ship. This crew. You’re the best captain we’ve had.”

Captain shook his head. “This isn’t what I wanted. And I’m tired of dancing to politician’s schemes.”

“I’m with you,” a woman said. She was the one who’d first commed me on the vid. “Hopefully on our old ship.”

"That's the plan."

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 49
  • Love 35
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I truly hope that Deke will be alright after getting kicked just from touching Kohen's leg while he was sleeping. I think from now on Deke will be cautious around Kohen just because he'll remember what happens when you touch Kohen. I hope that The captain, Kohen and the other crew members who are trusted to be good people will be able to get the other ship back and then get away from the political bull crap that he has to deal with just to be able to go do the job.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, travlbug said:

So Deke found out the hard way that Kohen remains hair-triggered. I wonder how long it will take to deprogram Kohen or if it's even possible.

 

The enemy crew turns out to be unhelpful, but the ship is a veritable treasure trove of data just sitting there for the taking.  I smell a rat.

If he is anything like soldiers then Ithink it will be a permanent thing, especially when waking them. If you have to touch them to wake them, stand at the foot of the bed and shake a foot. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Headstall said:

I like the decisiveness of the Captain. He knows what he wants, and he's going to make it happen. Is this because of Kohen and what they've found together? Now, the question is, will the Brox Consortium cooperate? I'm looking forward to them getting their butts kicked. :D Cheers... Gary....

I think it is a combination of things. I think the Captain had been chaffing under all the political BS and now that he has the bond with Kohen, he has a clear future he can work towards. He might have though off and on about retirement before, but their bond has given those thoughts a foundation and purpose.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I have to say captain Querry.  I like the plan.   Take your ship and your trusted crew and retire to a better place in the galaxy.  Thanks cia. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I wonder if Kohen will take a stab at interrogation, after all he has some skills from his previous enslavement that could be of use. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..