Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 995 Words
  • 3,200 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Denied - 90. Chapter 90

The miniature Sparkles turned when her croon cut off. She rose from the water and nudged me with her nose. She chirped and I looked from her to the egg still in the water. The babies clawed their way up her snout to perch in small circles on her head.

“Sparkles?” She hadn’t gone away from the water, still hovering beside me, but she wasn’t making the same sound she had for the other eggs. She wasn’t hovering over it or bathing it with water. “Is it okay?”

I glanced at her, but she was looking at one of the babies who’d perched on her eyebrow ridges.

“Aparoe!” I called. “Aparoe, come help!” I’d wanted to share this moment with just Sparkles, but now I needed someone who knew more than I did.

Captain and Deke were on their feet instantly. Deke faced out, a weapon in his hand while he scanned the lightening sky. Captain rushed to my side, crouching next to me.

“Why didn’t you wake me? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. It’s not me.” I didn’t talk about why I didn’t wake him up. I didn’t want to hurt his feelings, but this was bigger than me. We needed help. The egg needed help.

“Is it the large egg?” Aparoe asked. They slid in next to me on the other side away from Sparkles.

“I don’t know. I didn’t see how big they all were or anything.” Aparoe had spent more time around the eggs and knew a lot more about Sparkles than I did. “It’s not moving. Sparkles stopped humming and left the water.” I shot up. “You said you didn’t experiment on the eggs. Were you lying?” I opened and shut my hands into tight fists. “If you hurt it….” I hissed.

“Calm down, Koehn. Do you think Sparkles would let me harm her babies?” Aparoe activated a scanner. Sparkles was right next to the egg as soon as the scanner neared it. “Yes, it’s okay, we did this before.”

Seconds passed, but they felt like ages before the scanner beeped. Aparoe frowned. “This egg has always been on the bottom of the others. I could tell it was bigger, because it protruded beyond the edges of them, but it was below them and under the water so I could never get a clear scan of it.”

That told me nothing. “Is it… dead?” It didn’t have quite the same opacity as the others either.

“No. But it isn’t moving either. I’m not sure why. The scan shows a mix of your DNA and Sparkles, but it’s not the same either.” Aparoe looked up and bit their lip. “I’d like to scan one of the babies. Do you think she’d let me?”

“Getting between a new mama and her babies is a bad idea,” Deke threw over his shoulder. “Good way to get mauled or burned.”

Captain was near my side, but even he didn’t get too close to Sparkles. For all that Aparoe helped take care of her when she was little, I sensed Sparkles scared the doctor in her full-grown form. Then again, multiple limbs with sharp claws, impenetrable scales, fangs, and the ability to breathe fire would intimidate anyone.

Just not me.

“Sparkles? Can I hold one of the babies?” I asked. I was desperate to help the egg, and I’d held the babies before. “I won’t let anything happen to them.”

Sparkles blinked and chirped, then lowered her head. I wasn’t sure how I knew which was the oldest, but I picked up one coiled baby, crooning to it when the baby quivered on my palm. “Shh, you’re okay. You know me, remember.” I brought the tiny face up to mine, breathing my scent out and receiving a tiny lick on my nose.

I turned, tucking the baby next to my chest as I encouraged it to stretch out along my arm. “Be careful, move slow. Don’t scare it.”

Aparoe grumbled under their breath, but moved gingerly, the machine held sideways instead of over the baby. Aparoe scanned with glacial slowness from its head to tail. Data was already streaming before they finished. “Hmm.”

“Hmm… what?” Captain said. He leaned in but didn’t touch, just examined it with a small smile on his face. Oh, the beautiful baby was charming him as it yawned and curled back up.

“The baby is a genetic match for Sparkles, perfectly. As near a replica as nature can come up with.”

“So she produced them asexually?” Captain said. “Clones?”

“This one and probably those two since they look identical? Yes. But that egg, that one is different. It has more of Kohen’s DNA.”

I carefully placed the baby back on Sparkles’ head. “What does that mean?” What was in that egg? Some sort of half-human freak? A doomed mix of human body parts and scales and wings? A monster? I shuddered, disgusted, knowing it was the doctor’s experiments on my body that let this happen. That would have twisted that baby into whatever poor creature it had become. “Is it even… viable?”

Aparoe opened their mouth, closed it, then sighed. “I don’t know.”

“What do you know?” I hissed in frustration.

“Sparkles wants you here to do something. It wasn’t the other babies. They were born just fine, though they liked climbing on you, they could have gone on her. It has to be this, this is why you’re here.” Aparoe had been watching.

I frowned. “But what can I do? I’ll do anything to save it, but I don’t know how to help the egg.”

As if that was all Sparkles was waiting for, she nudged me. Pushing on my body, then my arms, she guided me to the pool and the egg. Her razor sharp claws swished the water, but she pulled them back from the egg and out. Then she nudged my hands.

“Do… do you want me to take it out of the water?”

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Love 22
  • Wow 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I think this is why Sparkles wanted Kohen there when the eggs hatched, because the biggest egg has more of Kohen’s dna in it. Not even Aparoe can say why it is that way. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

"Hmm." That's doctor-speak from time immemorial. (You go, Aparoe!) 😂

Even now, we have technology advanced enough to see inside an egg. Aparoe can even see the amount of Kohen's DNA inside the baby. So why is the doctor holding back with what the new baby looks like? 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
13 minutes ago, travlbug said:

"Hmm." That's doctor-speak from time immemorial. (You go, Aparoe!) 😂

Even now, we have technology advanced enough to see inside an egg. Aparoe can even see the amount of Kohen's DNA inside the baby. So why is the doctor holding back with what the new baby looks like? 

She is basically in the field here. Perhaps there is a limit to the tech she can use.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, travlbug said:

"Hmm." That's doctor-speak from time immemorial. (You go, Aparoe!) 😂

Even now, we have technology advanced enough to see inside an egg. Aparoe can even see the amount of Kohen's DNA inside the baby. So why is the doctor holding back with what the new baby looks like? 

But shared Kohen DNA doesn’t tell dominate vs recessive against an uncatalogued species? As a one of a kind Aparoe couldn’t tell the impact even on Sparkles correct?

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

My theory, and it is *only* a theory, is that the egg is more humanoid and so needs Kohen (and Captain). It might also need a bit longer to "cook."

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Philippe said:

Argh, one should not have to pace for a week of delivery; that’s cruel! 😤🤬🤯🤢🤮💩💩💩! (💩💩)! 😠🥺😩😫😭🤧

...👀 🍼👽☠️?

💩💩💩!!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

This is the first time I have ever been frustrated at the length of your chapters. I was getting so excited as I was reading along and then when I realised the last few lines were coming up, it was like, 'Nooooooooooooooo...' Can't wait to see how Baby turns out. I hope he's a Boy. This is so cool :)

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Now I'm picturing a scaley cherubim who comes out of that egg breathing fire... Would make the toddler time interesting... 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Puppilull said:

Now I'm picturing a scaley cherubim who comes out of that egg breathing fire... Would make the toddler time interesting... 

So then the kid would....throw a, fire hardened “tempered” tantrum? Honey, call the fire department, he’s about to throw a fit!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..