Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 957 Words
  • 5,465 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Denied - 28. Chapter 28

“Null field engaged. All vulnerable areas of the ship have been sealed off. We’re going to start hunting on the level Kohen is on, as well as his quarters, and the level where the other rescues are sequestered. I’ve sent three teams, but with the null field, he’ll be aware that we’ve discovered his presence on board.” Deke’s methodical report reassured me, but I couldn’t relax.

Not until they had him. It. They had no real gender characteristics when they were in their true forms but the bodies it had been using to follow me had been male, so it was probably male. Then again, the crew was mostly made of males, so it made more sense to have that form to avoid standing out. So it could be female.

And none of that mattered at all. It was just a distraction so I wouldn’t have to think about that thing coming near me, and my growing fear this was just an elaborate trap. Could they have created an entire ship, a planet? Fooled me that well?

How could I know different?

“Kohen, you need to breathe.” Lakshou’s quiet voice startled me.

I gasped, and my chest hurt. I let the screen fall to my lap.

“That’s it. Keep breathing.”

“What’s going on? Kohen?” Captain’s voice came from the screen, and Lakshou picked it up.

“He needs a moment, Captain.”

“Did something happen? Deke, send someone to guard Lakshou’s quarters.”

“Not as far as I can tell.” Lakshou watched me, his horns glowing, but nothing could ease the doubts that swarmed and overwhelmed me, just like those flame wasps had covered Holldu’s body in stinging welts, leaving behind a poison that killed him.

“Deke—”

“I already sent someone, Captain, but they’re trying to be subtle. Relax, no one is knocking down the door to hurt your boy.”

Their voices faded out, and I just let go. Since I’d let Captain take me out of that tiny cell, a lot had changed. No more suit. I now knew that I was different, and why, if not exactly how I was different or what I was capable of. The things I thought were tests were memories, which I sort of thought I’d always known but couldn’t handle. I had a job, friends, and I’d touched and hugged a man—who’d hugged me back—just because I wanted to.

But all I thought I knew balanced on a single thing… could I trust my own mind to know what was true? Was this a fantasy? A nightmare?

I’d been afraid I’d hurt someone, that the scientists and people would use me against the ship’s crew. Then we learned there were people on the ship working with the same people who tortured and abused other races for power.

How could I help find out who was behind all that, if I couldn’t even trust that the walls around me and the people I saw were real or not?

I curled on my side, hugging my knees to my chest. A light covering fell over me, but I didn’t move. Sleep would have been a blessing, but the vise around my chest only grew tighter. It was hard to breathe, so I had to focus on each breath, pulling one in and pushing the next out.

A whole shift could’ve passed for all I knew. Lakshou kept the screen on, the vid link active between him and Captain and Deke. The reports meant next to nothing until I caught a note of triumph.

“Got him!” Captain said. “He was trying to hide, but a crew member sniffed him out thanks to Kohen’s description of his scent. Thank you, Kohen.”

Even if I wanted to, I couldn’t talk. I could barely breathe. Lakshou had been giving me space, but he brought the screen over so Captain could tell me thank you, since he thought I hadn’t heard him. I had, I just… I couldn’t….

“Kohen? Kohen!” Lakhou’s voice rose, and he shook my shoulder. It only made it harder to focus on the in and out. I was getting tired; maybe I’d just stop. Just for a little while. “Captain, he’s barely breathing.”

“Overriding remaining lockdown protocols. I’m sending Aparoe and a medical team now.” Captain’s voice shook. Was he having trouble breathing too? Maybe it was something to do with the air.

Surely they’d think of that, if we were being attacked again. Lakshou stayed by my side until the door to his meditation quarters slid open. He started to protest but stopped and sank to his knees when Aparoe came inside. Almost immediately after, Captain entered.

He was breathing in great gasps, and I grew worried. As worried as I could be, as tired as I was in that moment, I couldn’t say or do anything to show it. But they needed to check Captain out, then run a diagnostic on the ship, not bother with me.

Something must have been done to the environmental controls. I’d just been in the system, so I knew it hadn’t been properly maintained before this flight. Aparoe began running tests, just like they always did. I’d grown used to them, enough not to flinch away.

Nothing Aparoe did gave any answers. The screen waved over my body remained stubbornly silent. I couldn’t tell Aparoe what was wrong, not matter how carefully I was cajoled. My lungs stayed tight, my chest screamed, and the room grew darker.

And darker.

And then a warm hand touched my shoulder, and peace and ease radiated from that gentle touch. I gasped in a loud breath, air scraping by my strangled throat.

Lakshou’s gasp drowned out even that harsh sound. “By all that’s holy, you’ve bonded!”

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 44
  • Love 22
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Smiling with glee...bonded Huh? Hehe. Can't wait to find out who it was? Good job Kohen! Wonder how the captain will handle this one

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Puppilull said:

 

And that is a problem, I think. He should find himself first. Even if he doesn't think so.

 

I disagree. If you haven't 'found yourself' after years of torture and isolation, you probably never will. Those conditions lead to the necessity of self exploration. What he needs now is the one thing he has never had, a strong and mutually loving connection to another human being.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Um. Who, what, and when???   I hope it the captain and Kohen that have bonded.   I wonder if the null field did something to Kohen’s modifications?   I have wondered myself if this is all a test or trial for Kohen.  Even Lakshou couldn’t calm Kohen down. More mysteries. Thanks CIA. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Nephylim said:

Finally figured this out. Don't ask. I've gone back and read from the start. Love this story. It's as wicked and twisted as all the stories I love best :D

Now I have to take the time to reread and see if I can put all the clues together myself.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:47 AM, mally said:

Smiling with glee...bonded Huh? Hehe. Can't wait to find out who it was? Good job Kohen! Wonder how the captain will handle this one

Oh, definitely shocking truth coming! 

 

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:57 AM, drpaladin said:

There is only one person on the ship Kohen has ever been close enough to bond with. He has come very far for this PSTD induced panic attack to drag him back, but the Captain is there to ground him.

I'm glad someone picked up on the PTSD-tones of the breakdown Kohen is going though, and not just a seesaw of emotional behaviors. Yes, he's been recovering and adjusting to freedom, but nothing is ever only a forward battle. He needs help, for sure. 

 

21 hours ago, dughlas said:

Hmmmm …

;););)

 

21 hours ago, Sweetlion said:

WOW, did Kohen and the Captain bonded without having sex (I thought that was required, after Lakshou explanation). 

Remember, there are all sorts of aliens out there and all sorts of bonding. What happens with Lakshou for his patients isn't the same as for all other races. 

 

21 hours ago, Puppilull said:

That was an unexpected twist! Bonded! I wonder if Kohen is ready for such a commitment...? 

I do so love reading that it was unexpected! I thought I was trickling in little clues. More about it to come next week, of course. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
10 hours ago, glennish said:

Um. Who, what, and when???   I hope it the captain and Kohen that have bonded.   I wonder if the null field did something to Kohen’s modifications?   I have wondered myself if this is all a test or trial for Kohen.  Even Lakshou couldn’t calm Kohen down. More mysteries. Thanks CIA. 

Oooh, just what could the null field do to him? I am so surprised you're the only one who mentioned that!! 

 

10 hours ago, glennish said:

Now I have to take the time to reread and see if I can put all the clues together myself.  

:D I loooove to try and hide little breadcrumbs in the story that only make sense later on. Those "Oh, wait, AHA!" moments are fun as a reader for me too. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Cia said:

I do so love reading that it was unexpected! I thought I was trickling in little clues.

 

Their mutual and strong attraction isn't a surprise. I just wasn't expecting an actual bonding. If it is what is usually meant by bonding in other stories. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Gobsmacked, I am, but sooooooo happy! That initial connection between Kohen and the Captain was powerful... I need more information before my brain explodes. Great chapter, Cia... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I hope that Kohen is able to break free from the hold on his emotions. It appears that this alien being can shape into anyone or anything. I wonder why it was after Kohen, also was it the reason for the raid on the lab where Kohen was held. I hope that Kohen and the captain can get past the barrier between them and maybe start a real relationship. Love the story so far and I can't wait to read what happens next. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..