Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 921 Words
  • 4,122 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Denied - 56. Chapter 56

“Captain.”

“Freska. It’s good to hear from you. It’ll be even better to get out of this shuttle. Is your location secure?” Captain sat in his chair, and I sat in a chair at an unused station nearby.

“It is. It might not be for long though, sir. We’ve been pursued by Frijul’s and Elliard’s conspirators because we discovered something significant.”

“Oh?” Captain’s eyebrows rose. “And that is?”

“I’d rather tell you in person, sir.”

“You’re afraid a system you control might be intercepted or spied upon?” Captain had looked surprised before, but now he was flat out shocked. I tilted my head, watching him.

“Call it an overabundance of caution. You’ll understand.” Freska glanced sideways. “We’ll see you soon.”

The shuttle bounced through the atmosphere as we navigated through the clouds toward the surface. It wasn’t nearly as harsh as Mackinack, thankfully. My stomach was especially thankful. The shuttle’s dampeners weren’t nearly enough to compensate for those wind forces without tossing us around considering how many people and cargo we were carrying.

Nothing like heaving through the sky like a fat-bellied beast, which we’d be if the shuttle could actually bulge at the seams. We’d run into Luca who’d been good-naturedly listening to Priella complain. She’d flushed and saluted at the same time, making Luca chuckle as he lazily saluted as well. I was glad they were both in the crew that came with us, though. I’d gotten surprisingly attached to them.

“Sir, we’re here. Hail the ship so we can board?”

“I’m absolutely certain… Yes. There.” From the front viewport the ship was rapidly growing larger, filling it. A gaping hole opened in the side of the ship.

“I didn’t realize the ship Freska took was so big,” I said.

“Me either. I think she’s been making improvements.”

“To a ship?” I must have looked skeptical.

One of the crew at a station turned. “Freska can do things with metal and mechanics that are like magic.”

“Magic isn’t real.”

Captain reached out and touched my hand. A spark of our earlier resonance still clung to him, or me, or maybe it was both of us. When we touched, the aura around us flared and I could see the colors. “Oh, isn’t it?” Captain cocked an eyebrow.

“Well….” Chemicals, nerves, venom… I could quote those, but I knew what he did—there was a connection between us that defied explanation. Our age difference, the way we’d lived our lives, everything between us should’ve been a barrier, but still we were stronger and better together than apart. “Okay, fine. She can do magic.”

We were finally parked inside the ship and the pressure equalized as the airlocks opened, and we all breathed a bit easier knowing we weren’t crammed in to a virtual coffin hurtling through space. Maybe that was how all non-spacers felt.

A delegation met us as we trooped off the ship. Captain and I led the way, and after we got out of the way, several security team members trotted inside to find Deke and his captive. Freska wasn’t taking any chances apparently.

The others were taken to quarters or duty stations, but Captain and I were led to a large meeting room. Freska was standing in the middle of the room, a table with several seats ringing it between her and the door. She saluted and then stood still while Captain stood in the doorway.

Hovering behind her was a being.

Human, or humanoid in appearance, though I couldn’t see anything specifically alien about him, he seemed off to me. Perhaps it was his rigid stance, ramrod straight with his arms at his sides. The being’s pale gray eyes studied us, glittering in the low light.

“Captain Querry, I would like you to meet Danie.”

“Hello.”

“Hello, Captain.” His voice was low, quiet, and calm. Nothing about him betrayed his nerves, which, in and of itself, was odd. And I didn’t like that he just called him captain.

“Querry,” I said. “His name is Captain Querry. And my name is Kohen.”

“Nice to meet you,” he said politely.

I stared at him. He talked like he was out of some old vid or something.

“Sorry. I’m trying to teach him better vocabulary and slang, but you know how processors are; they tend to latch on to the first thing they learn.”

Danie sighed. “I told you, I am not a processor.”

“And I told you what I found with the best scans I could do without a better lab. We do know your brain and central nervous system are made up of non-bio connections and fiber options.”

My mouth dropped open. “His… what, now?”

Captain stopped nearly to the table, and he swept his arm behind him to corral me closer to him. “Explain,” he demanded.

“I think we had such dedicated pursuit, not because we have Frijul, but because we have him.” She tilted her head toward Danie. “He’s what I think they were trying to make with Kohen but failed.”

“And just what is that?” My heart was racing and cold sweat dripped down my spine. The words spilled out of my mouth, but I desperately wanted to take them back. I didn’t really want to know.

“Captain Querry, I am what is known as an A.I. My makers are going to be very angry that I am not where they left me.”

“I had to take him, Captain,” Freska said. “He was plugged in. Like… hardware. I had to know how, why.”

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 44
  • Love 16
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 15
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Scary to meet a potential future if not for the Captain and his crew. Kohen probably reacted instinctively, making connections he wasn't even aware of. I hope Danie finds a good place with them and isn't seen as too much of a specimen to examine. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Typical Freska.  Unexplained tech seems to make her hot.  I wonder is Danie a name or an acronym??   This is a total twist I did not see coming.   I wonder what will happen now??  Until next week thanks CIA. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Danie is an artificial intelligence and had "makers."  He has a "rigid" stance, which appears "off" to Kohen, who also notes that its voice is "odd," lacking expected emotional content. Its brain and central nervous system are made of "connections and fiber options." Danie is a machine--possibly the first true android--not a turned humanoid. However, I disagree with Freska's assessment:  "He's what I think they were trying to make with Kohen but failed." At the time Kohen was liberated, he was an ongoing experiment--not a failed one--and had been successfully utilized for Consortium missions. Also, it is doubtful that such a complex machine could have been designed and built in the short period since Kohen was freed. Rather, the experiment with Kohen was likely occurring concomitantly with the creation of Danie, irrespective of whether the Consortium was trying to make Kohen into a human Danie. (I wonder if Kohen's cybernetic ports would allow him to liaise with Danie. As Danie does not recognize Kohen, it does not appear to have been programmed or trained to work with him.) Clearly, Danie is important to the Consortium, as it likely represents a huge investment in time, money, and expertise; and we still don't know why it was created in the first place. (As an aside, I am surprised that Danie has no built-in protocols to prevent it's being stolen--or does it? :/)  Also, will Danie be willing to work with the Captain and crew? (I love the understated threat issued by Danie at the end of the chapter: "My makers are going to be very angry that I am not where they left me.") Bring on the next chapter!

Edited by travlbug
  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
42 minutes ago, travlbug said:

Danie is a machine--possibly the first true android--not a turned humanoid.

-

I think it's a little too soon to assume Danie isn't biological. All the experiments the Brox have been focused on have been with living beings and their expertise seems to be bionics. This might be the culmination of their research. Remember Lakshou told Kohen he was to be used for parts. If they had created a true android already, why would they need or even want parts?

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

-

I think it's a little too soon to assume Danie isn't biological.

 

Who says that machines can't be biological? 🤗

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
3 minutes ago, travlbug said:

 

Who says that machines can't be biological? 

 

My intent was that he was biological based from the beginning. i don't think we know enough yet to dismiss the possibility.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Well, there's one answer. Interesting. So, was Brox trying to build an army of Danies? A way to turn populations docile and obedient? Great chapter, Cia. :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..