Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,003 Words
  • 6,617 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Denied - 4. Chapter 4

“Kohen? Is that your name?”

I nodded.

“Good. Kohen, do you know where you are?”

I licked my lips, wishing for more of that fluid.

“Are you still thirsty?”

“Yes.”

He walked over to a spot on the wall. A hum, a flash of light, and another cup appeared. He stretched out his arm, not getting too close. I touched the cup, and he settled it into my hand without our fingers brushing.

Relief swamped me along with a tiny bit of regret. The fluid was cool, and I jerked, nearly spilling it.

“Careful, careful.” Captain’s warm hands cupped mine, steadying the cup. My heart started to pound in my chest, and I froze. Quick as a flash, I looked at his face and then away. I focused on the cup and took a drink. Captain didn’t say anything else as I finished the cup. I snuck another look when he took it from me.

He was pale but his eyes and hair were the same warm color. Brown? Like dirt. Or wood. I remembered them, sort of. Clods I broke with my feet. Big plumes racing across the fields on the backs of strong breezes.

I hadn’t felt the movement of air on my body in so long. I looked down, unable to believe the suit was gone. I ghosted one hand over my arm, but I didn’t touch. Couldn’t touch.

“Kohen? I need to ask you some questions.”

I stiffened. Tests. They’d ask questions, endless questions. Zap me all over with the suit if I got it wrong. My breath hitched in my throat, and the fluid I’d just swallowed came back up. Sickly sweet and bitter bile burned my throat. I vomited everywhere.

Stomach heaving, I curled onto my side. Hot tears leaked out of the corners of my eyes, dripping down my face.

“Okay, no questions. Just calm down, Kohen.” Captain put his hand on my shoulder, and that was too much.

I bolted from the bed, falling onto the ground and then scrambling to my feet. There were people all around, and the space was big, too big. I went from ice cold to hot in a flash.

Aparoe hurried over. “Hey, it’s okay.”

But it wasn’t. It wasn’t okay.

“Kohen, don’t—”

I ran, dodging around the bed, and Captain, and the other people in the room with their arms spread wide.

The door opened when I neared it, and I took it. I looked around wildly, but they were coming for me. I had to escape. Stumbling, banging into the walls from side to side like an unstable livestock after a tremor, I went as fast as I could. Doors stayed shut, and I banged at the panels beside them, but none opened.

My whole body hurt, but I was used to that. The corridor turned, and I darted around it, running smack into something hard. I landed on my butt, and stared up, mouth open.

It was a… I didn’t know what he was, but somehow I knew it was a he. He was tall. Wide. Horns spiraled out of his head. He had on a green and white robe. A blue light flashed, and my heart calmed, my breathing slowed, and the fear faded.

“That’s better.” He crouched down, and I curled up, hugging my knees. “My name is Lakshou. What’s yours?”

“Kohen.”

“Did you hurt yourself when you fell, Kohen?”

I shook my head. I wasn’t hurt. Just cold now.

“Do you need help?”

I nodded. The captain wanted to ask questions. They were all looking for me. I was too much.

“Peace can always be found in the temple to those who seek it. It’s just through here.” Lakshou touched the wall and a door I hadn’t noticed before opened. “When you’re ready,” he said.

He waited while I studied him and the door. It was dim in the room, and when I rolled onto my knees and inched closer, I could smell something light and sweet. The tremors wracking my muscles eased, and I made it to my feet. Glancing at Lakshou, I edged past him and into the room.

“Good lad.” Lakshou entered behind me and the door slid shut. The room, temple he’d called it, was small. A small blaze burned in a round jar, and smoke curled up and reached thin tendrils through the room. Large cushions dotted around the room. They looked so soft.

I leaned down and stroked one. My hand sank in to the cushion, and the covering was smooth and warm.

“You can lie down, if you like. Rest. No one will harm you here.”

It was less a matter of believing him, and more that I felt like I was about to collapse anyway. Exhaustion dragged at me, and the pain in my arms and legs was making my muscles crawl. Still, the fear I expected to return didn’t, and I closed my eyes without worrying that I’d wake back up in that suit, in my cell… or worse.

 

I woke slowly. It always hurt, staying too still for too long, but moving brought its own special agony. This time was different. The room was dim but colorful, and a lovely scent filled my nostrils. I took a deep breath, and my cheek slid on something smooth and soft.

Nothing in my cell was smooth and soft.

Slowly, the memories came back to me. I flicked my eyes open, and the being I’d run into was still in the tiny room with me. The lights flickered on his horns.

“Welcome back, little one. I hope you rested well,” Lakshou said.

I nodded. I had slept without nightmares, and the panic that had swamped me was missing.

“Good. Captain knows you’re here.” I darted a look at the door, but it was closed. “But you don’t have to leave until you’re ready.”

“I don’t?”

“Of course not. You’re not a prisoner. I would like to teach you some meditation techniques though.”

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 68
  • Love 24
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Trauma, as we know it, doesn't disappear after the event, and in Kohen's case, that trauma has caused incredible damage. Lakshou's race appears to have advanced abilities in this area. Spirituality is a good idea for this poor tortured soul. I felt like he was in a sanctuary in that temple. Thank you.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Whoa. A temple aboard a spaceship? Cool. And Lakshou sounds like he could be really good for Kohen. But what is it about Lakshou that inspires calm and sweet rest? Can't just be incense and soft cushions, can it?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
10 hours ago, dughlas said:

Still trying to grasp the situation but I like this. My only wish is longer chapters but I understand the constraint of the excercise. Just being greeding for more.

That's a kind of greedy I understand. And don't worry, there will be more 'overall info' as to the time/place/machinations coming soon.

 

10 hours ago, avidreadr said:

Lots of curiosity about Kohen, where he came from and what he went through.  Lakshou seems like a good person; I hope he is for Kohen's sake.  Look forward to next Wednesday.

Definitely more coming soon, like I just said to dughlas. It's hard to get that info in because I think that Kohen isn't in a place to take in that info in a way I could share it with readers from his POV, but that'll change. 

 

3 hours ago, booklove said:

Life for Kohen ist a rollercoaster. But I hope with the help of Lakshou he will come through. Great work.

Yes. Shocking highs from such simple things as a drink and horrific lows such as fleeing from a single touch. Lakshou is definitely a stabilizing influence (even if he did knock him down when they first met, lol).

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
2 hours ago, Headstall said:

Trauma, as we know it, doesn't disappear after the event, and in Kohen's case, that trauma has caused incredible damage. Lakshou's race appears to have advanced abilities in this area. Spirituality is a good idea for this poor tortured soul. I felt like he was in a sanctuary in that temple. Thank you.

Inner balance is absolutely vital to handle stresses from the world around you, especially when things change so much like it has for Kohen. Lakshou definitely will have a strong influence on Kohen's future, which will involve a lot of recovery time. 

 

2 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

Whoa. A temple aboard a spaceship? Cool. And Lakshou sounds like he could be really good for Kohen. But what is it about Lakshou that inspires calm and sweet rest? Can't just be incense and soft cushions, can it?

Well there are a lot of aliens on the ship, and having so many different cultures means there needs to be a variety of ways to accommodate them. Religion would definitely be a big part of that. More about Lakshou, and the other aliens, and the ship, their mission, and Captain's questions... coming up! 

 

2 hours ago, Lux Apollo said:

Just started reading today. Really liking this new story!

Thanks, Lux! I do try to mix it up with the different stories I do for my Wednesday Briefers group, and I love writing scifi. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Have a feeling I am going to be really liking Lakshou. Can't wait for the next one...

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
16 hours ago, Buz said:

Have a feeling I am going to be really liking Lakshou. Can't wait for the next one...

I like him too! :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I'm intrigued by the motley assortment of aliens on this ship.  Lakshou is just what Kohen needed.  I can't wait to find out more.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
47 minutes ago, Rogeric said:

Ok, am officially hooked

Good thing there are a lot of chapters still for you to read, lol! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 7/21/2018 at 4:25 PM, Cia said:

Good thing there are a lot of chapters still for you to read, lol! 

I just finish chapter 40, am dry, need more, love how your mind works Cía, thank U

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..