Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 3,391 Words
  • 2,401 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

PESI - 6. Chapter 6

The next day the boys were busy rearranging their bedroom. With Dad's help, they put the large king size mattress in the garage loft. Now it was a matter of waiting for the delivery of the single beds and the extra dresser. A home visit would show the room divided into two by using the furniture. You can bet the boys would be sleeping in only one bed.

Two days later, the twin beds were delivered. Doc had Pesi direct the boys so that the room looked like two when it was one in actuality. The twin beds were large enough to sleep both boys. I think the store called it an expanded single bed. They were slightly larger than a single bed but not as large as a standard bed.

Doc checked the room, "Pezi, I think this will pass a home inspection."

"Yes, Doctor, according to the regulations concerning home requirements by CS, this room will pass."

Now, all we had to do was wait. The boys were anxious, and as time passed, they became a little nervous. "Dad, when are they going to come to the house?"

"I don't know, but it'll be soon. We just need to be ready." Later that evening, "Pesi, can you check as to when CS has schedule our home inspection?"

"Yes, Doctor, I can tap into their computer system through their phone line."

A few minutes later, "Doctor, they are scheduled to arrive tomorrow at 7 pm."

"Thanks, Pesi."

The next morning at breakfast, "Boys, I expect our visitors here tonight. So please make sure your room is ready for inspection. We'll plan on having dinner at 5. I'll be at the office this morning and be home about three this afternoon." I got a hug and left for the office.

"John, did you have any problems with the installation at the governor's office?"

"None. I showed the IT guy how to add additional people to the list. He seemed fine with it."

"I don't understand why he wants so many people to have access to that unit. It was originally only for emergencies."

"I think he has something else he wants to monitor. Don't be surprised if he isn't monitoring his staff."

"We need to do a scan of our systems here and in the field. The last scan was six months ago."

When we install a system, we leave a subroutine that allows us to check our system to determine if any programs need an update. That's the company line. In reality, we check to see if anyone is attempting to hack into our systems. Sometimes an IT person in the client's company tries to change or amend our software, which is not permitted by contract, we can detect these attempts on our scans. Hackers are a delight because, as soon as we detect a hack attempt, we can reverse the attempt and place a virus in their unit that destroys their operating system. All of our contracts call for periodic scans, at our discretion and the installation of updates.

I looked over several requests for information on our systems. These are routine requests, and we have a package that answers most of their questions. John pulls a package, addresses it, and drops it off at the post office. Sometimes we are surprised who requests information. "Doc, we received a request for information from an agency in Russia."

"What's the name of the agency?"

"It appears to be a central bank. The request is in English, but the name is in Russian."

"Have we ever received a request from a central bank before?"

"No, most of our requests are commercial companies. Do you think this may be a fake name?"

"Let me have the request. I'll check it out tonight from home. With the time difference, I can do it later tonight."

I wanted to get home by four, so I left the office at 3:30. I told John to take the rest of the day off, and I'll see him in the morning.

Driving home, I thought about the Russian requests. I knew that many of the hacker attempts we discovered were from the Eastern countries. I'll let Pesi work on this.

"Good evening, Doctor."

"Good evening Pesi. Is everything ready for our visitors?"

"Yes, Doctor, the boys have prepped dinner."

Walking into the kitchen, "Hey Dad, we started dinner."

I looked at what they had done. The salad was ready, vegetables were ready to be cooked, and they had a pan of chicken thighs ready for the oven. "Wow, you guys were busy. How did you know to do all of this?"

"Pesi told us how to do it."

"Well, you did an excellent job. I'll let you finish while I go and change." I went to the office, dropped off my briefcase, took a shower, and changed into more comfortable clothes.

"Pesi, thanks for helping the boys with dinner. We may do this more often."

Walking into the kitchen, "Thanks, boys, for getting dinner underway. I could get used to this. If you think you can handle the rest, I'll be in my office. Call me when dinner is ready." Smiling, I headed to my office.

"Pesi, I need to have you check out a request from a Russian firm. John seems to think it's a central bank. We haven't had any requests from a bank, and this may be a bogus request."

I typed in the address of the request. Pesi could pick this up from my computer since all electronics in the house run-through Pesi's computers.

I just started to work when the boy's called me for dinner. I looked at my watch and noted it was 5:30, and our guests were due to arrive at 7.

Walking into the kitchen, I could smell roasted chicken. "It smells good, boys." They both smiled. Dinner not only smelled good, but it was also good. I looked at the boys as they watched me. I knew they wanted me to comment on dinner. "Boys, you have done an excellent job. This dinner is delicious. I enjoyed it. You both are going to have to do more cooking." They had smiles as they looked at each other, patting each on the back.

"You boys take a break. I'll clean up since you cooked." Nope wasn't going to happen, as I started to carry dishes to the sink, one of the boys began to rinse them, and the other started to put the leftovers in the refrigerator. Between the three of us, we were finished in no time.

"Maybe you should check your room to be sure it's ready for inspection. I expect visitors about 7."

"It's ready for inspection. Pesi checked it and said if they had a problem with it, he'd talk to them."

I knew what Pesi meant. If their report didn't describe what they saw, he'd amend the report. I also knew that any recommendation would need to pass Pesi's approval, or he would change the report.

"Have you boys finished with your homework?" Two heads nodded yes, "Good, why don't you watch a movie or play some of your video games."

I watched as they headed for the family room. I headed to my office. "Doctor, the address you gave me doesn't exist. I checked all of the Russian central banks, and none of them have that address."

"Is it possible for you to scan the address and determine who or what is at that address?"

"Yes, Doctor, but it might take a while."

"There's no hurry, Pesi. Nothing will be sent until you provide an answer."

I continue to work on some of the requests and read John's reports on the scan we had just completed. "Doctor, a car is approaching."

I walked into the family room, "Boys, I think our guests will be here soon."

"Doctor, they are at the front door."

I went downstairs and opened the door. "Doctor Frankenstein?"

"Yes, how may I help you."

"We are from the CS and have come to do a home review pending your adoption application. My name is Mrs. Wilson."

"Yes, do come in. I didn't expect you tonight. My attorney didn't inform me when I could expect you."

"We don't announce our visits in advance. We prefer to make surprise visits so we can see what the home is truly like."

"Is there anything special you'd like to see or just a general tour?"

"I think a general tour would be appropriate, and then if we need to see anything in more depth, we'll let you know."

"Isn't this generally done with just one person? May I ask why two tonight?"

"This is Officer O'Hara, and normally we do inspect homes without a police escort. Since you live in such a rural area and this late at night, I thought I should bring along someone."

"That's fine. If you follow me, I'll show you around my home. If you have any questions, please just ask." I knew Pesi would monitor everything.

Walking through the downstairs, Mrs. Wilson asked who prepares the meals since the report only listed my name and the boys as residents. I told her that I prepare the meals with the boys' help. She asked about schooling. I told her they are home school. She wanted to know the name of the tutor. I told her that they interact with the computer, as is typical for homeschooling in today's technological world.

I then gave her a tour of the upstairs. I showed her my bedroom and then the boys' bedroom. She noted that the boys shared a room. From her disposition, I knew she didn't like that. But the large room was set up, so each boy had their own space.

Then she went into the family room, "Boys, this is Mrs. Wilson from CS." The boys politely acknowledged Mrs. Wilson.

"Could I speak to the boys alone?"

"Of course, I'll be in my office until you are finished or have any more questions. The boys can show you where my office is located."

Arriving at my office, "Pesi, what do you know about Mrs. Wilson and Officer O'Hara?

"Officer O'Hara has been assigned to CS, and generally, he accompanies a CS employee when they suspect a problem."

"Does that mean Mrs. Wilson lied about the reason he was accompanying her?"

"She was nervous, and her heartbeat increased when you asked. I think there is another agenda besides home approval."

"What's happening in the family room?"

"Officer O'Hara is questioning them. Mrs. Wilson is checking your books and CDs."

"I'll want a full transcript of everything that was said in that room as well as a DVD of all movement."

"Doctor, you need to go to the family room. The boys are frightened."

I walked into the family room, and what I heard shocked me. "You're lying. You stole money from your parents, that's why you ran away. Tell me the truth, or I'll arrest you."

"May I help you, Officer? Mrs. Wilson, is it normal procedure to question these boys as part of a home inspection?"

"Dr. Frankenstein, these boys are lying. I checked with their parents, and they want them back. They stole money and ran away."

"I find that impossible to believe. I have a signed and notarized statement from the parents of these boys that state they don't want them back."

I saw O'Hara look at Mrs. Wilson. "Mrs. Wilson, perhaps you can explain what is happening here. From my knowledge, a home inspection does not involve the questioning of the boys."

"Doctor Frankenstein, when I think that something is going on that is improper. Then I have the right to question the boys."

"If I'm not mistaken, Mrs.Wislon, the boys have the right to have an adult present or a lawyer when you question them and particularly when a police officer questions them."

"I can question them anytime I want, if not here, then at my office."

My phone rang; excuse me. "Hello, yes, this is Doctor Frankenstein. Yes, she is here with Officer O'Hara. Certainly, "Mrs. Wilson, this call is for you."

I watched as she took my phone, "Yes, this is Mrs. Wilson. I'm in the middle of a home approval. No, I haven't told him that. Yes, there are two boys here, and Officer O'Hara is questioning them. No, its general questions, nothing of a harassment nature. I understand."

"Doctor Frankenstein, I need to leave. I'll submit my report to the appropriate agencies. Come on, O'Hara, let's go."

Once I closed the door, the boys ran to me crying. "Boys, I know what they asked. You forgot Pesi looks out for all of us. You have nothing to fear. Let's get some ice cream, and maybe you both should get ready for bed."

Once they were in bed, "Pesi, what happened?"

"I checked and found out that the person who was assigned to do the home review was given a different assignment. Mrs. Wilson forged the assignment forms so she would be the one who would come for this assessment. Officer O'Hara is a church member of her church and works closely with her. I took the liberty of notifying your attorney, who called CS to ask why Mrs. Wilson was assigned to do the home inspection. They hadn't realized that she had changed the roster so that she would do it. The person who was assigned is the person who normally does home assessments."

"Did you inform my attorney about the questioning?"

"No, I sent a transcript of the questioning with the boys' answers to his computer. He will have a complete transcript."

"Pesi, keep an eye on CS. I'd like to see the report."

I checked on the boys and then went to bed.

The next two days, I was on my toes. I told Pesi to keep an eye on the boys and if there is any hint of a problem, tell them to go to the secret place.

"Doctor, you need to have the boys print on the door, or it won't open."

I forgot that I wasn't going to do that till the adoption went through. "Pesi, do you have the names the boys have selected?"

"Yes, Doctor"

"Boys, we need to do one more thing before I leave for work this morning. Follow me." The boys followed me to the basement and the door to the safe room. I unlocked the pad, "Now I want each of you to place your palm on the pad and repeat the name you have chosen after the adoption."

I watched each of the boys follow my instructions. "Now, when Pesi tells you to go to the safe room, this is where you go. When you get here, push this button, say your name, and then place your palm on the pad. The door will unlock, roll it to the side, enter and press the button on the inside so that the door closes. When I come home, I'll release you unless Pesi tells you it's ok to come out."

Closing the vault, the boys went to the kitchen to finish their breakfast, and I left for work.

John had completed all of the reviews of our installed systems. We went over the results, and generally, everything seemed to be in good shape, which meant no hacking or virus attempts. "John, we should start upgrading the old systems. Let's upgrade any system over five years old."

"We should also check and see if they want any of the new features."

"Maybe we should sit down with them and get an overall feel from them as to what they would like to see. It'll give us a heads up to where we can begin to devote some of our attention."

I liked that idea. We may have a few additional gadgets that would increase our income. I called home and spoke to Pesi. He said it was all quiet, and the boys were studying.

"Doc, I'm leaving. Do you want me to lock up, or are you staying a little longer?"

"No lock-up, I didn't realize the time. Good night John."

Driving home, I wonder what the boys cooked for our dinner. They seemed to like to do the cooking, and I appreciate it.]

"Hey, Dad, we have beef goulash for dinner."

"Smells good. I'll go and shower before dinner. Just let me know when it is ready." I wanted to see what Pesi found out.

"Pesi, anything new from CS?"

"Yes, Doctor, Mrs. Wilson has filed a preliminary report. I will print out a copy for you."

I watched as the printer came alive, and a 6-page report came out of the printer. I quickly scanned the report and noticed her findings where the house was unsuitable, and since I wasn't married, CS is recommending the boys be placed in a more suitable home.

"Pesi, has this report been submitted?"

"Not yet, Doctor."

"Send a copy to my lawyer. I'll call him in the morning. Can you change this report before a final printed?"

"Yes, Doctor, I suggest that the judge should ask for an electronic copy of the report."

"That's a good idea. I'll call the judge in the morning and suggest that he asks that the report be emailed to him so that we can proceed with the adoption."

"Boys, you did a great job. This beef goulash tastes great. And the biscuits, I haven't had biscuits this good since my mother died, great job."

I started to clear off the table. The boys began to help. "You boys made dinner, so I'll clean up. Go and enjoy a movie or a game. I am assuming you have your homework finished."

They nodded yes with a smile as they took off for the family room.

I slept better, knowing that Pesi was on top of everything.

"Good morning Abe. Have you had a chance to catch up on the material I sent you?"

"I have two sets of papers from DCS, the first set appears to be a draft, and that doesn't look good for you and the boys. The second set looks excellent. What changed?"

"I haven't seen the second report. I do know that the person from DCS was not the usual person who did the home checks. Maybe she reviewed the report and made changes. I suppose that the judge has a copy of the report and is ready to rule on my petition for adoption."

"I have a call into him now, but I expect I won't hear from him until this afternoon."

"Let me know what he has to say and if we need any more information."

Abe called me late in the afternoon, "I just talked to the judge. He has received the report from CS and wondered if we could meet at 9 in the morning. I think he is ready to rule on the adoption."

"Thanks, Abe, we'll be there."

That evening as the boys were getting ready for bed, "Boys, we need to be at the courthouse by 9 in the morning. Be sure to be ready to go by 8. Traffic in the city will be congested as a lot of people will be driving to work."

"Pesi, be sure to wake the boys at 7. That will allow time for them to have breakfast before we need to leave."

That evening as I sat in my office, I wondered if CS would show up for the hearing. If they were there, I'd guess they would object to the adoption. Of course, they would have to explain why they differed from the report sent to the judge.

The next morning the boys were up early. "Good morning boys, we'll have a quick breakfast, and then if you are still hungry after the court case, we can stop and get a good brunch."

"What's a brunch?"

"A brunch is when you combine breakfast and lunch into one meal." The boys looked at each other and smiled. I knew that they would be hungry after court.

We left at 8:15 allow 45 minutes to get to the courthouse. We were going to meet with Abe a few minutes before we would be called before the judge.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 11
  • Angry 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

6 minutes ago, Buz said:

Oh this is going to be good. Ms Wilson and Officer O'Hara won't know what hit them...

you wonder how much of this is. true. I know for a while gays couldn't adopt, they never seemed to pass the inspoection. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Well Mrs O'hara and Officer Wilson were certainly interfering. I think they are gonna get a major surprise as PESI looks out for the boys.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Thank God for PESI and for the Doctor for having the foresight for asking PESI to record things.Is there a video I hope so.I like The doctor's line of BS when he said that they weren't expecting them.We have not been told of the Doctor's orientation but I suspect  that he expected problems with CS and there's a reason for that.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
44 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Well Mrs O'hara and Officer Wilson were certainly interfering. I think they are gonna get a major surprise as PESI looks out for the boys.

They will, Doc isn't stupid and with Pesi he can arrange a lot of trouble.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Thank God for PESI and for the Doctor for having the foresight for asking PESI to record things.Is there a video I hope so.I like The doctor's line of BS when he said that they weren't expecting them.We have not been told of the Doctor's orientation but I suspect  that he expected problems with CS and there's a reason for that.

An innocent fib, but with a good result

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Hmmm, wait until the church twins show with lies of their innocent acts; those that PESI will probably broadcast in the courtroom or at the judges desktop! Hahaha. Playing Hot Potato is fun too, so much better when in the courtroom. 🤦‍♂️ 
 

Oh, and names withheld for security? Evil forces are at play here! 🦹‍♀️ 

Edited by Philippe
  • Like 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Philippe said:

Hmmm, wait until the church twins show with lies of their innocent acts; those that PESI will probably broadcast in the courtroom or at the judges desktop! Hahaha. Playing Hot Potato is fun too, so much better when in the courtroom. 🤦‍♂️ 
 

Oh, and names withheld for security? Evil forces are at play here! 🦹‍♀️ 

I think after the court room exercise someone is going to get their come up ins.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

That asshat Wilson is a disgusting excuse of a human being. It'll be interesting to see what karma comes full circle in regards to her over zealous religious condemnation of everyone thinking she's gawd almighty. People like that just boil my blood. Just because Doc isn't married, she basically is saying they're better off living in the park, eating out of trashcans, receiving no education, instead of living with a loving, kind, generous, and nurturing man just because he's single. AND, O'Hara is a piss poor excuse for an officer of the law buying into that bullshit agenda of hers. I can only imagine how terrified those boys must've been as an "adult", who's supposed to have their best interest at heart, is viciously interrogating them. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Thank goodness Pesi is on it and sent Doc in. ...and Wilson, what a lying sack of crap!!! It would be interesting to see a transcript / recording of those 2 breaking the law and receive what's due. Those definitely aren't the types of people that should be associated with Child Protective Services. 🤬 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Chris L said:

That asshat Wilson is a disgusting excuse of a human being. It'll be interesting to see what karma comes full circle in regards to her over zealous religious condemnation of everyone thinking she's gawd almighty. People like that just boil my blood. Just because Doc isn't married, she basically is saying they're better off living in the park, eating out of trashcans, receiving no education, instead of living with a loving, kind, generous, and nurturing man just because he's single. AND, O'Hara is a piss poor excuse for an officer of the law buying into that bullshit agenda of hers. I can only imagine how terrified those boys must've been as an "adult", who's supposed to have their best interest at heart, is viciously interrogating them. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Thank goodness Pesi is on it and sent Doc in. ...and Wilson, what a lying sack of crap!!! It would be interesting to see a transcript / recording of those 2 breaking the law and receive what's due. Those definitely aren't the types of people that should be associated with Child Protective Services. 🤬 

She also has talked to the parents, or at least left the impression she had spoke to them. Religious fanatics.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..