Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 843 Words
  • 2,821 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Coffee Shop - 3. Chapter 3

“Sleep well, Tim. We can talk more tomorrow after a good night’s sleep. Remember, we’ve snow to shovel tomorrow.” Chuckling, Paul left the room.

In the morning, after I had showered and dressed, I went into the kitchen to see if I could help prepare breakfast. Paul’s mom was already there with a cup of coffee in her hand. “Would you like a cup of coffee, Tim?”

“Yes, please, is there anything I can do to help you?”

“Could you prepare Paul and your breakfast? I have to get to the shop to open. After the snow has been cleared, ask Paul to bring you to the shop for lunch. We can talk then about your future.” Smiling, she put the cup into the sink and left for the shop.

I was wondering what to make for breakfast. I checked the refrigerator, and there were eggs, sausage, and cheese. I thought an omelet in a wrap would be good; it was a favorite of mine. I began to make biscuit dough as I thought about what’s going to happen next. I need to finish school, and I hoped to attend college, even if it’s a local community college. While rolling out the biscuit dough, I turned on the oven and set the temperature to 350. I cut the dough into circles and pressed them into muffin pans. While the dough rested, I made scrambled eggs and fried the sausage. When the eggs and sausage were done, I filled the dough-lined muffin tins with a mixture of egg and sausage, topping them off with cheese. Into the hot oven for 20 minutes, and breakfast would be made. I washed the dishes and pans, dried them, and put them away. I sat at the table with another cup of coffee with my head in my hands. I had so many thoughts and questions. My head began to hurt.

” Hey, you ok? You were up early, and what’s that delicious smell?”

“I made breakfast, is that ok?”

“It’s fine. Is it ready? I could eat a horse this morning.”

I took the breakfast muffins out of the oven and set them on the table. I got two plates while Paul got the silverware. “Do you want some orange juice?”

“Yes, please. Is there enough coffee for you, or should I make another pot?”

“No. Orange juice is enough. When we go to the shop, we can get more coffee.”

I watched Paul’s face as he began to eat the one muffin he put on his plate. It was like, I’ll try one, and if I don’t like it, I don’t have to eat more. Well, it didn’t happen like that. As soon as he took the first bite, I chuckled to see his face light up with a surprising look.

“These are good. I never tasted a combo like this. The flavors melt together. You did a great job. Keep cooking like this, and I’ll make sure you never leave.”

I was glad he enjoyed my cooking. I just smiled and quietly told him I was glad he liked them. I told him what his mother said about clearing the snow and then coming to the shop for lunch.

“I’ll do the dishes, and then we can begin to clear the driveway and walks. Probably should clear Mrs. Cranston’s as well.”

Between snowball fights, making snowmen, yes, we had to make several. Paul said we needed to make a family of three. I thought he was referring to his mom, dad, and himself. I realized the third was for me when he asked if I had a cap that he could use.

I noticed Mrs. Cranston watching us out of her window. When Paul and I headed to her place and started to clear the snow, she came out on the porch and asked us if we wanted some hot chocolate. By this time, we were cold and wet from the snowball fight. Paul quickly said it would be great as soon as we finished shoveling the snow.

When we finished in front, I followed Paul around the back of her house. We cleared a path from her back porch to her garage. Unlike Paul’s house, her garage was detached, and she would need a way cleared if she was going to get to her car.

We sat on the back porch drinking our hot chocolate and eating a few sugar cookies. Paul told Mrs. Cranston that I would be living with them, and I’d take care of the snow after he went back to college. Nothing more was added, and nothing more was said.

By the time we finished, changed out of the wet clothes, and showered again, we decided to walk to the shop. On the way, Paul saw a few of his friends; he waved to them but kept on walking. When we got to the shop, Marie hugged Paul and went to get two cups of coffee. Paul asked her if she would tell his mom we were there.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 28
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

8 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, nice breakfast, he could work in the shop making breakfast meals

Yep. he could and did

  • Like 5
Link to comment
8 hours ago, GanymedeRex said:

A feel good chapter that made me feel ---- good!

Great, that is the feeling you need as we head into the Season 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Buz said:

Tim can cook and Paul's Mum owns a cafe...et voila!

A marriage made in the kitchen

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Chris L said:

Omelets, snowball fights, and hot chocolate. Now I'm starving! lol 

Did you actually have snow ball fight. with real snow and not those snowball cookies? I think after playing in the snow, most kids have hot chocolate 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Clancy59 said:

Sounds like a breakfast I could make on the weekend for brunch!  Yum!

 

Try it, you can buy the biscuits, I like these as well.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

Try it, you can buy the biscuits, I like these as well.

I think I’ve seen them done wi the Pillsbury biscuits.  I can also make biscuits myself.  I am a hobby baker.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
48 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

I think I’ve seen them done wi the Pillsbury biscuits.  I can also make biscuits myself.  I am a hobby baker.

Then go for it and let me know your opinion. Be creative, watch the salt and you might want to add a few herbs. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On December 13, 2020 at 6:10 PM, CLJobe said:

They are good, one of my favorites

Paul should've brought a couple of these 'Omelet Wraps' or 'Omelet Muffins' to the coffee shop for his mom to try. 

It sounded like Tim was just 'proofing' the dough before rolling them out larger (like a 6" tortilla). Recipe? Photo? Website? Hungry & confused.

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Paul should've brought a couple of these 'Omelet Wraps' or 'Omelet Muffins' to the coffee shop for his mom to try. 

It sounded like Tim was just 'proofing' the dough before rolling them out larger (like a 6" tortilla). Recipe? Photo? Website? Hungry & confused.

Here is the easy way. Buy a can of Pillsbury biscuits, use that to line your muffin tin. Scramble an egg to your liking, I add herbs because I like herbs, cook your sausage , use loose, then follow the story recipe. If you want something different, add grated cheese to the top. Enjoy 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Ok so the biscuits you mention are what we in Australia and England call scones and they are eaten with strawberry jam and whipped cream(not the stuff in a can), which are eaten for morning or afternoon tea, these are plain or fruit scones,  you can also have cheese scones, or pumpkin scones which are home made. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Bft said:

Ok so the biscuits you mention are what we in Australia and England call scones and they are eaten with strawberry jam and whipped cream(not the stuff in a can), which are eaten for morning or afternoon tea, these are plain or fruit scones,  you can also have cheese scones, or pumpkin scones which are home made. 

I have had the privilege of eating scones in England and Australia . Here in the States,  you can buy these in a can and we call them biscuits

  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I have had the privilege of eating scones in England and Australia . Here in the States,  you can buy these in a can and we call them biscuits

Yes I know this I googled it, it’s  just to weird in a can😒

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Bft said:

Yes I know this I googled it, it’s  just to weird in a can😒

It's what you get use to. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Frozen biscuits that are available at major grocery chains in the USA South, and I assume other parts of the country because Walmart also sell them, are better than the canned biscuits and something close to the homemade biscuits our Mom's and Grandmother's make. My Mom who is 87 years old stopped making homemade and buys the frozen ones now. But Frozen biscuits will not work in the aspect of making the wraps that Tim made for him and Paul. 

Also I never consider an Omelet as an Omelet unless it has cheese in it. 

Great Chapter!

 

See the source image

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..