Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,625 Words
  • 2,244 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Food Truck - 10. Chapter 10

As I was reviewing the performance of Food Truck Inc, results showed a fifteen percent increase over previous year. The catering business provided a major portion of the growth.

Paul arrived three days before New Year’s, so we put him to work. He stayed in his old room and I knew that the boys would bring him up-to-date. Paul was doing well in college. He told the boys once they had their GED, they should enroll in a university or at least a community college. Having Paul talk to the boys was a good idea, I appreciated him encouraging them to continue their education.

With all the additions, I knew I needed to find space to store the jitney and the new delivery truck. That resulted in another phone call to Dominic. I explained the problem to the boys. We tossed around some ideas. Donnie mentioned that if we eliminated the storage area at the end of the garage, we’d have enough room for the jitney.

The following week I had a meeting Dominic. The boys and I set around the table in the kitchen. I explained my problem giving Donnie the credit for his idea of relocating the storage area in garage for the jitney. Dominic suggested that if we extended the garage it might require additional piles. He said it’d take at least another six weeks provided he ordered the additional siding now. Dennis suggested we build on to the office a room for storage. I suggested we extend the area so we can create another bedroom on the second level.

“Could we extend the area to our east and perhaps put a garage there for the delivery van? How far does the landfill extend to the East?”

“I don't know, I'll have to check the map for the landfill unless you already know Dominic.”

“I have the map and I can check it. We may have to build a stand alone garage if we go far enough east to clear the landfill. I'll take a look at the map and get back to you.”

Since it was getting late and the boys had not eaten, I asked Dominic to stay for supper. He sat back and watched the boys go into action. Supper was going to be grilled chicken with the sides leftover from Christmas and New Year's catering. Paul told us he would be leaving tomorrow. “But I’ll be back this summer.”

That evening I told Dad what I was going to do. “With the new vehicles, I'm going to have to build a garage for the delivery truck. Donnie suggested we move the supplies from the back end of the garage which will provide room for the jitney. I also told Dad our profits for the year were up fifteen percent over last year.” He just smiled, looking at Mom he gave her wink. I got the impression that he knew the business was doing well and I should have expected the performance increase.

Dominic came back at the end of the week and told me if we built a separate garage for the delivery van along the southern boundary of the Park we wouldn’t need pilings, He also suggested that we build it two stories high. “The cost of the additional wall is the only thing that impacts the overall project. The costs of the roof will be the same regardless of the height as would the floor. In the future if you ever want to create more rooms above the garage it would be simple to add a floor.”

 

I asked the boys what they thought, after a short discussion their recommendation was to follow Dominic's suggestion. I already owned all the land to the East beginning at the end of the current industrial buildings. Dominic took care of the building permits, I signed a contract, gave him the required ten percent down and let him do his thing. It created a lot of interest, everyone was asking what were we building now. Since the boys were in on the discussions and the agreements with Dominic, they could answer any question our customers asked.

 

We packed a goody bag for Paul, drove him to the airport for his trip back home. “It was nice seeing Paul again. He seems to be doing well in college.”

“He doesn't seem as worried as he did when he worked here.”

“I think he was worried about his mother, now that he’s able to see her more often, he’s calmer.”

Business settled into a routine, catering for parties picked up during this summer months. I thought about hiring another person but the boys didn't think it was necessary. That meant more work for them. This was fine during the summer but when school started in the Fall, they realized that their homework took up a significant part of their off-duty time. About mid September they told me they thought we should look for another guy, I had no problem doing that as I was thinking about doing it right after the New Year.

Now the question, where do we find our new hire. Donnie and Denny suggested we look for someone like them. At first I didn't understand, did that mean gay or homeless or maybe both.

Saturday after finishing our shopping at Restaurant Supply, the boys coaxed me to take them searching for a new boy. “We’ll look after we take our shopping back to the kitchen.” I think the boys had already made the decision and just waited until we were shopping before urging me to start looking.

Once the van was unloaded, purchases put away, Donnie got the car and we were off to check out another restaurant. The habit of checking out restaurants for menus and prices became a weekly event. In our town, this meant visiting a restaurant more there once. Each of the boys would order something different, as we had in the past. Out came their note books as they wrote their comments. We would review these tonight over dessert.

Donnie, instead of driving back to the food truck after eating, began driving streets, heading toward the city park. I knew that the boys were looking for someone from the street. I had no problem with this, the last two boys from the streets have proven themselves. In fact, they were now minor owners in the food truck. We were just about to give up when Denny saw a boy heading toward a garbage can in the park. “Donnie, slow up, to your left check out that kid.”

We all looked as Donnie brought the car to a halt. The kids literally was in rags. His hair was long and greasy. “Are you sure, Denny?”

“He needs our help Jim.”

“Okay Denny, you go talk to him. We didn't bring a lunch bag with us so at least offer to buy him a pizza if he says no.”

The three of us watched Denny as he approached the kid. At first the kid was going to run until Denny said something. We couldn't make out what he said but the kid stopped and watched as Denny walked up to him. We sat in the car and watch. About forty-five minutes later Dennis led the boy to the car. I got out of the car, “Jim, this is Jake and he’d like to work for us.”

“Jake, welcome aboard, this is Donnie and Andre. First, I think we need to get you something to eat and then to get you cleaned up.” I noticed he was about the same size as Andre.

Donnie drove to a pizza place were I ended up buying two large pizzas. As Donnie drove us back to the food truck, I could see the hunger in Jake's eyes. “Denny, let Jake have a piece of the pizza.” We watched the tears in the boy’s eyes as he was handed a slice of pizza. As soon as we got back, the boys took Jake to their room so he could shower. Andre took a set of clothes that he wears when he works in the food truck. I had another job for Mom. The boys brought the new kid into the kitchen.

“What happened to Jake?”

I knew, but the difference was startling. I was glad the boys took him in hand. “Jake, I need you to come with me tonight. In order to work around food, you need a health certificate. My mom will take you to get one at the clinic, you also need a haircut and some new clothes. My employees need to be looking smart, good for the business.”

The boys smiled, it was Donnie who took Jake under his wing. He knew what it was like to live on the street. Denny had only been on the street a short time. Arriving home, I introduced Jake to my mom and dad. “This is my new employee, Jake. Mom you need to do for him what you did for Donnie and Denny” Mom figured he was a street boy, if she had saw him before the boys cleaned him up, she would have cried.

We had a cup of coffee, Mom had baked some cookies, so we had a few. I showed Jake where he could sleep, showed him where the towels were and gave him a new tooth brush. There were those tears again. Lying in my bed, I thought about these boys. I was thankful for my parents, I knew no matter what I did, they would support me. I was very fortunate to have them in my life.

The next morning Jake was the first one up in the morning. ‘What am I doing here, If they find out about me, they will toss me out and call the police.’ Jake decided to leave before anyone got up.

As he was headed for the door, “Where are you going?”

He jumped not realizing Jim’s father was standing behind him. “I think I should leave.”

“Why? Have you broken the law? Are you on the run? Sit down, I’ll make some coffee and you can tell me what it is that has you so determine to leave.”

Jake knew he was caught. By the time the coffee was ready, everyone was up. Jim saw his dad looking at Jake, “What’s the matter?”

“I think Jake has something to say.”

Jake looked into their eyes. He was fine until he looked at Jim’s mother. Then he started to cry. Through sobs, Jake told his story. His father was a cruel man and a bully. He was quick to fly off the handle and his mother was the brunt of his anger. The last time he knocked his mother out, Jake couldn’t take it anymore and hit his dad over the head with a baseball bat. “I knocked him out and his head was bleeding. I think I killed him. I ran away and hitched a ride with some trucker. That’s how I got here. I had to do some things to pay for my ride, for which I’m not proud.”

Jim had an idea of what he had to do. “Jake, go with mom and get your medical certificate and a hair cut. We’ll find out what has happened. If you run now you’ll never know and it’ll hang over your head for the rest of your life.”

“Jake, give me your full name and address, I’ll have my lawyer check. I’ll let you know what he finds. In the meantime, do as Jim tells you.”

Two weeks went by. Jake had gone and got his medical certificate, hair cut and some new clothes. He stayed in Paul’s old room since Andre stayed at home. Donnie and Dennis made him feel at home, but Jake still had that fear in his mind, being wanted by the police.

In the third week of Jake being with the boys, Jim’s dad walked to the food truck and asked to speak to Jake in private. Jim told Jake to go with his dad. Walking toward the garage, “Jake, my lawyer contacted a legal firm in your home town. Your mother is alright. She had some bruises and cuts but they have healed, there are some scars and she had to have several teeth replaced, your dad is alive but he’s in jail. When your mother discovered that you left, she had him arrested. Your mother has gone to live with your grandmother, here is her address. There are no legal issues for you to worry about.” Jake was so happy, he gave Jim’s dad a hug.

That evening he told Jim and the boys what Jim’s dad said. He had to tell the boys what it was all about, Jim knew because Jake told his parents, but it was Jake’s story to tell. That evening Jake called his mother. He told her about working and above all he told her he was fine. She was glad he called and was relieved to know that he was alive and well. Jake gave her his address and phone number.

It wasn't long before Denny had Jake up to speed on his computer. This allowed Jake to print off the menus and keep track of the sales. It soon became obvious to Jim that another computer would be necessary. Jim ordered a desk and computer for Jake. The boys also convinced Jake to work on getting his GED.

Jim began to hold staff meetings every Saturday night. They talked about the menu for the week, any problems that they were experiencing and who was going to cook dinner that night.

Dominic had finished the garage for the catering van, the two-story extension to the kitchen and the boy’s rooms. Jake moved into Paul's room and the spare room was used by Andre when he stayed over. Jim was still staying at home, this gave him the opportunity to discuss the business with his dad.

The kitchen became a place of experimentation. The boys would find recipes on the net, then try to duplicate them in the kitchen. I think Andre was the master mind behind this. I did make one rule, what you made you had to eat, most of the time the food they produced was good and sometimes it didn't turn out the way it was described in the recipe but the boys made no fuss and ate it anyway.

Operating a marginal profit food truck meant that we could only create those foods that the people where willing to purchase. That meant cost for the final product was more important than the complexity of the recipe. There where a few recipes that fit in well with our dinners. The boys created a potato pancake that was tasty and nutritious. The secret was the vegetables that were left over from making our soups. They were ground and made into a thick batter that could be scoop and fried on the grill. We added that as a side vegetable when we produced dinners. Stale bread was made into a stuffing that could be utilized with the chicken or turkey. It seemed strange that we never had leftover desserts.

I now had three boys working on their degrees. Andre was focusing on the culinary degree, Denny was focusing on Computer Technology and Donnie was focusing on accounting. Online college courses proceeded a lot slower than one would experience attending a four year college. But it allowed the boys to work and proceed at their level of capability. Jake was working on his GED and probably would finish it soon. He’ll join the other boys working on their college degrees.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Welcome Jake you deserve it.I wonder what Denny said to get Jake to come to the car?He must have told Jake what was done for him.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Great chapter. The Food Truck is profitable, they needed a new member of staff. So they rescued another boy off the street, Jake is fitting in well with the other boys.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, weinerdog said:

Welcome Jake you deserve it.I wonder what Denny said to get Jake to come to the car?He must have told Jake what was done for him.

I don't know what he said, he was too far from the car. But what ever he said, it was convincing for Jake to take the chance. If I was Jake, I would probably do anything for the promise of food. Seriously, I'm sure Denny told him about himself and being saved, offering him the same opportunity.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. The Food Truck is profitable, they needed a new member of staff. So they rescued another boy off the street, Jake is fitting in well with the other boys.

It took a while for Jake to relax. He really thought he killed his dad. Jim's dad put him at ease.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Not all angels have wings, especially if they're working amongst us.

Sometimes people refer to someone as being 'heaven sent' because of the good works they do or the help they give to others without being asked. 

IMHO, Jim fits the description of being 'heaven sent' to work among us, saving body and soul, helping others to find their right path. Donnie, Denny, Paul, Andre and now Jake benefit from being given a helping hand from Jim.

Angels among us!  :heart:    0:)

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Not all angels have wings, especially if they're working amongst us.

Sometimes people refer to someone as being 'heaven sent' because of the good works they do or the help they give to others without being asked. 

IMHO, Jim fits the description of being 'heaven sent' to work among us, saving body and soul, helping others to find their right path. Donnie, Denny, Paul, Andre and now Jake benefit from being given a helping hand from Jim.

Angels among us!  :heart:    0:)

There is also a few devils among us. The parents of these boys listen to the devil, but we all know that the Saints beat the Devils. Thanks for your comments. I always look for yours as well the other faithful readers .

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Buz said:

Poor Jake. At least he is now in the best place he can be.

Yes, Jim and the boys will take him under their wings.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, I am glad that Jake is doing well, he certainly has expanded his family, 

Jake will become one of Jim's boys. There he will be encourage to finish school as well as earning a living. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Excellent chapter! After two very successful years it is time to expand the buildings to hold the new delivery van and have expanded storage and the ability of having additional rooms on the second floor. It was terrific to have Paul come back for New Years, he is doing very well in college and he encouraged the boys to complete their GED’s and continue with college. They needed another worker and recruited Jake from the streets. He seems to be learning fast and is fitting into the team nicely. I really am enjoying this story and hope that you will give a bit more on the main characters life. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, flesco said:

Excellent chapter! After two very successful years it is time to expand the buildings to hold the new delivery van and have expanded storage and the ability of having additional rooms on the second floor. It was terrific to have Paul come back for New Years, he is doing very well in college and he encouraged the boys to complete their GED’s and continue with college. They needed another worker and recruited Jake from the streets. He seems to be learning fast and is fitting into the team nicely. I really am enjoying this story and hope that you will give a bit more on the main characters life. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

You need to know me. I learned a long time ago, imagination is better than any written words. This story was about Jim, not the boys. Although the boys were needed to bring us to understand Jim. Maybe for future stories I'll focus on one of these boys. Thanks for your comments. One of my friends said that I write these type of stories because I'm a little sadistic. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I definitely do not believe that you are sadistic. Your stories always start and include drama and tragedy but also provide hope and a supportive person or family who “rescues” those who need it most. Our “real’ world would be a much better place if more people took a moment to help someone else who needs it. Thank you for these stories and I hope you will continue into the future. This world needs hope more than ever before. 👏❤️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
45 minutes ago, flesco said:

I definitely do not believe that you are sadistic. Your stories always start and include drama and tragedy but also provide hope and a supportive person or family who “rescues” those who need it most. Our “real’ world would be a much better place if more people took a moment to help someone else who needs it. Thank you for these stories and I hope you will continue into the future. This world needs hope more than ever before. 👏❤️

Where did you get the idea I might be sadistic? I'm not sadistic, just the opposite, if I had my way, every child would be loved. If my story convinces one person to do something to help a child, I'd be over the moon. Thanks for reading and commenting 

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..