Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,200 Words
  • 2,818 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Food Truck - 7. Chapter 7

Our first challenge came at Thanksgiving. Many of the businesses at the Park closed for the holiday. So we had requests to cater Thanksgiving and parties over the four day break. I promised my baker friend I’d provide his Thanksgiving Turkey and trimmings if he allowed me to use his ovens. Mom told me if I packed the roasted turkey in aluminum foil, it would stay warm. Side dishes could be packed in my paper cartons and reheated at the home, I planned a limited number of sides and for dessert, the bakery would provide pies.

Originally, I thought I’d charge twice the price of the food. I checked with a few stores that offered a twelve pound turkey with stuffing and two sides plus one pie for sixty-nine dollars. I knew I could provide a better dinner but that meant I’d have to charge seventy-five dollars, I’d shop at Restaurant Supply. Based on my experiences, my food cost would run between thirty and thirty-five dollars.

The boys and I had ten orders for that day, so we thought. When people found out what we were charging plus extras, we called a halt at fifteen orders. This meant that we’d need seventeen turkeys, one for the baker and one for mom and dad.

In all, we made seventeen turkey dinners, I couldn’t have done that without the boys. I collected some cardboard boxes, packed each order into a box, labeled with name and address and attached an invoice for seventy-five dollars. We started delivery at two in the afternoon of Thanksgiving. By three, all the dinners were delivered, the last being mom and dad’s. Dad had bought a bottle of wine to toast my first catered Thanksgiving dinner. Sitting around the table I gave thanks for Mom and Dad and for my three boys who worked very hard providing the catered dinners. Dad offered a toast to our success and our future success with the food truck.

Monday morning we were back at work at the Industrial Park. I made sure that sandwiches did not contain turkey or chicken. I figured that with all the turkey this past weekend, no one would want a turkey sandwich. I also did not serve chicken or turkey for dinner, meat loaf was on the menu. Routine was quickly established. The boys did have hot turkey sandwiches for dinner that night, by their request.

After lunch was served, Donnie was standing in front of the window eating a piece of pie. One of the men, who came to buy their supper, saw the pie and wanted to know if he could buy a piece. Donnie looked and saw there was a piece left and sold it to him. “Jim, I sold that piece of pie that was left for two fifty.”

“Good for you, maybe we should offer pie as a desert for the dinner crew. I saw pies at Restaurant Supply and I'm sure they have cakes as well.”

“I think we should ask our baker for a price on pies and maybe small cakes.”

“I remember back home you could buy a small pie at the grocery store. It was just big enough for one person. There were cakes also, but I never bought one.”

“That's a good idea Denny. We can go to the baker and see what he can produce for us at reasonable price.”

Breakfast and dinner business was picking up but lunch was still the mainstay of the business. Jim started offering chili for lunch. He sold an eight oz container and twelve oz container. One thing about chili, its always better the second day.

By now Jim had a good idea what his cost were and how much of a markup he needed to cover his costs plus his return on his investment. Jim may not have done well in mathematics in school, but it didn’t take him long to learn about profit and loss in a business. Normally menus that never change can become boring, not only to Jim and his crew but also the customers. Always looking for new ideas, Jim and the boys introduced pot pies for lunch and dinner.

Jim started to subscribe to food magazines that specialized in cuisines from other countries. He and the boys would look through these magazines highlighting foods that they thought could be produced in the food truck, offering a variety. Jim was mindful that the price he’d have to charge, had to be in the neighborhood of his current pricing.

With the success of his Thanksgiving catering, he began to think about catering for Christmas. He could offer ham as well as turkey. “How about roast beef?”

“I don't know about roast beef. We never had roast beef. We have had ham and turkey. I guess we could offer roast beef, we’d need to use more ovens at the bakers.”

Jim thought he would consult with his mom and dad about the menu choices. In the meantime, he listed each meat and then, with the boys help, listed the sides to go with each meat. Over the next few weeks Jim ran a cost analysis for each menu. He included rolls and pies bought at the bakery. The boys pitched in creating the side dishes, based on the food they liked. Dennis made a cost sheet for each meat. The sheet included the cost of the meat and sides, including rolls and pies. Jim and the boys took the sheets with them when they went to Restaurant Supply.

Jim gave each boy a sheet and told them to check the prices on the items listed as well as the quantity. He explained that a box of frozen vegetable could be used on more than one menu. Jim look over the completed menus, he noticed that the quantity of food per item would depend on the number of people per order. He also needed to stop at the bakery to check on the prices of rolls and pies.

Jim posted a sign on his lunch wagon advertising Christmas catering. Dennis made up menus for each meal including a column to indicate the number of people. Jim calculated the cost per dinner for four people. He would have to adjust for any number greater than four.

As the forms were completed and given to Jim, he passed them to Dennis to calculate the cost and the mark up. With the final cost, Jim called each of the potential clients and quoted his price. He wasn't surprised when some declined after they heard the price. This didn’t bother Jim since his acceptance rate was at sixty percent. This meant they definitely needed the bakers ovens. As with Thanksgiving, he offered the baker a dinner of his choice for the use of his ovens.

Dennis gave Jim the totals for each meal. Jim was surprised that there was a minimum of eight people and a maximum of twelve people per delivery. Jim calculated one third pound of meat per person. He rounded up to the nearest pound.

On Christmas Eve, the businesses at the Park closed at noon. This gave Jim the opportunity to start preparing meals to deliver on Christmas. The prior weekend, he went to a discount store and picked up Christmas boxes to pack his food.

He conned his mother to help him and the boys on Christmas morning. She packed the boxes as the boys handed her the food. Denny gave her the list for each box. All she had to do was to mark off the list as the food went into the box. At two o'clock Jim and the boys begin to deliver the food. At four, their last delivery was at Jim's home. He cheated a little by packing ham and roast beef in his box. The meal at Jim's house for the boys was a somber affair. Donnie and Denny thought about past Christmas and Paul thought about his mom. Jim’s dad couldn’t do anything for Donnie and Dennis but he did give Paul a plane ticket to go and see his mom. There were tears in his eyes when he realized that he would be spending sometime with his mom. Jim’s dad opened a college fund for Donnie and Dennis. The boys were surprise to see a balance of a thousand dollars. Jim had contributed half and his dad matched the other half.

For New Year’s, Jim and the boys came up with what he called an International New Year's meal. They went through the magazines and picked out typical New Year's food from several countries. Jim thought that they should offer two menus, one International and one typical American. “What would be a typical New Years meal for America? Most people don’t have a special meal like they do with Thanksgiving and Christmas.”

“I’ll have to do some research to determine what most Americans have for New Year's dinner. I'll ask Mom what she thinks as well. I remember in school a lot of kids said that the holidays were foods that their parents and grandparents made or brought with them from Europe.”

“We could offer roast beef, lamb, roast pork or roast goose. That would cover Australia and France. Roast beef and roast pork we could claim to be American. For vegetables we can offer beans, rice and lentils, baked or mashed potatoes and Soba noodles. For desserts we can offer pies, rice pudding with almonds, a small cone shaped wreathe cake or Oliebollen. That we'll take care of India, Norway or Denmark, Argentina, Japan, Sweden and Holland.”

“What do you think?”

“I Think you need to add black eyed peas for the South.”

“Jim, that’s a lot of cooking, why don't we make up a menu that would contain a little bit of everything and call it our International New Year’s dinner?”

Jim thought about the idea and decided that it made a lot of sense. He knew that no restaurant could compete with this inclusive menu. Now he had to think about advertising and then purchasing the food and proper containers. He also realized that he needed additional kitchen equipment.

“How do you boys feel about giving up your study room? We could move your desks and equipment into my office. Then we can use that room to install ovens and work tables to allow us to make not only New Year’s dinners, but also any special dinners celebrating all of the holidays.”

The boys thought it was great idea. Dennis was assigned the job of searching for commercial ovens. When they went shopping at Restaurant Supply, they took the opportunity to check out what they offered in commercial ovens, work tables and restaurant equipment needed to prepare dinners on large scale. Denny also was given the responsibility, a long with Donnie and Paul, to print the food trucks New Year’s dinner menu.

Jim was responsible for creating the cooking instructions for all on these special foods. “Before we post our New Year’s menu, we need to be sure we can obtain the equipment. So Denny you need to get your internet search done within the next few days. We know we can get some of the equipment at Restaurant Supply, but it’s a good idea to compare costs.” By morning the boys relocated all of their equipment for the room next to the office. Jim was surprised how fast they moved.

Doing the day as customers came to the food truck for their breakfast or lunch they asked the boys if a special dinner was going to be offered for New Year’s. “Jim, what are we to tell them since we cannot offer our International dinner until after the equipment is bought and set up.”

“You’re right, I think we’ll offer either a ham dinner or a roast goose dinner. We’ll have to impose on our good friend the baker to use his ovens one more time. Keep the menus and we’ll practice doing the year to produce those items and also provide a taste panel to evaluate whether we want to include them or not.” That seem to make a lot of sense. The boys smile knowing that they now have an answer about New Year's dinner.

As in the past, the baker was glad to let the boys use his ovens. What Jim didn't realize, he was creating a competitor. Jim knew he had one trick up his sleeve to prevent competition, they didn’t have his recipes. New Year’s dinners were well received, again Jim noted an increase in the number of dinners he sold. He and the boys were please with the business the food truck was doing. Jim knew that the business would continue to grow, especially with his catering for the holidays and sporadic parties.

Jim had to contact Dominic again for the installation of the ovens with ventilators over the ovens, otherwise the room would become too hot. He also needed a large propane tank installed for the ovens. They ended up with three ovens, a center table and a walk in meat freezer with a cold box in front. Now Jim could take advantage of quantity discounts.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 19
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



We don't have Thanksgiving in New Zealand. When I was younger, New Years did include a feast but was mainly about partying for the Adults and playing for all the Cousins.

My most vivd Christmas Food Memory is about my Aunty Trudi. She used to make Steam Pudding (which you had with custard, cream and ice-cream), but she used to put money in her Pudding. It was awesome, when we were Ferals. We thought we were rich. No. No-one ever swallowed the money. You can't spend it otherwise, so we were all always careful.

I must admit though, I think the no. 1 dessert for Christmas when I was a Feral (cause everyone always had it) was trifle. And no. Not the alcoholic one. That was gross. I better stop or I'm likely to go on and on about trifle, which I haven't had for ages now.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

That is great, Jim and the boys are moving along well with the busines, with it picking up so well.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, they are going from strength to strength, they make a really great team, onwards and upwards

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Buz said:

We don't have Thanksgiving in New Zealand. When I was younger, New Years did include a feast but was mainly about partying for the Adults and playing for all the Cousins.

My most vivd Christmas Food Memory is about my Aunty Trudi. She used to make Steam Pudding (which you had with custard, cream and ice-cream), but she used to put money in her Pudding. It was awesome, when we were Ferals. We thought we were rich. No. No-one ever swallowed the money. You can't spend it otherwise, so we were all always careful.

I must admit though, I think the no. 1 dessert for Christmas when I was a Feral (cause everyone always had it) was trifle. And no. Not the alcoholic one. That was gross. I better stop or I'm likely to go on and on about trifle, which I haven't had for ages now.

I am aware of the steam pudding. I think the English have this as well. Trifle I have eaten, and it was good. Now I'm ready for more.  Did you send my care package 😉

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. What fantastic dinner's jim and the boys have come up with.

Yes, but that Baker wasn't playing fair, in my opinion. He's forcing Jim to essential create his own bakery.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Jondon said:

That is great, Jim and the boys are moving along well with the busines, with it picking up so well.

Yes, he's doing well. Couldn't happen to a nicer group of boys.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, they are going from strength to strength, they make a really great team, onwards and upwards

Yes, they are all getting excited about the holidays. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Jim is NOT a typical boss!  He treats the boys like co-owners of the business, rather than employees.  If one on the boys has an idea or suggestion, and Jim agrees, it's put into action, or at least given a chance.  The way Jim delegates responsibilities makes the boys develop a sense of ownership, and that can't be bad.  They all want to see this business not only succeed but grow.  Hiring these lads off the street has killed two birds with one stone, gaining some good workers, and getting some homeless boys off the street!.

Going back to a comment that Jim made in an earlier chapter, these boys all are working well together, and they don't need a girl to 'boss them around!.'  We still don't know of any of their sexualities with the exception of Denny, but they all seem comfortable in their all male environment. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
44 minutes ago, Doug Spencer said:

Jim is NOT a typical boss!  He treats the boys like co-owners of the business, rather than employees.  If one on the boys has an idea or suggestion, and Jim agrees, it's put into action, or at least given a chance.  The way Jim delegates responsibilities makes the boys develop a sense of ownership, and that can't be bad.  They all want to see this business not only succeed but grow.  Hiring these lads off the street has killed two birds with one stone, gaining some good workers, and getting some homeless boys off the street!.

Going back to a comment that Jim made in an earlier chapter, these boys all are working well together, and they don't need a girl to 'boss them around!.'  We still don't know of any of their sexualities with the exception of Denny, but they all seem comfortable in their all male environment. 

Donny is also gay, he was happy when Denny suggested they move in together. To me that would indicate he was also gay.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I am aware of the steam pudding. I think the English have this as well. Trifle I have eaten, and it was good. Now I'm ready for more.  Did you send my care package 😉

Can't send anything without a postal now, can I?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I don't know. To some extent I think Jim is in love with his truck. I'm sure you know people who are so in love with their work, that is all they think about. 

You guys think Jim is gay? 😱

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Buz said:

Can't send anything without a postal now, can I?

Not unless you want to visit 😉

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Tonyr said:

You guys think Jim is gay? 😱

Don't know, what do you think Tony

  • Like 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Yes, but that Baker wasn't playing fair, in my opinion. He's forcing Jim to essential create his own bakery.

Which in the long run, is better for Jim. If he could pipe the vents on those ovens toward his truck, the aroma of baking bread would have them lined up just to buy bread.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Nice touch, those Dutch treats in this story! We (Dutch people) have oliebollen at New Year’s Eve, and at fairs throughout the year. For those who haven’t yet eaten an oliebol, it’s like a doughnut but without the hole, preferably eaten warm, coated with powdered sugar.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, RoyKing said:

Nice touch, those Dutch treats in this story! We (Dutch people) have oliebollen at New Year’s Eve, and at fairs throughout the year. For those who haven’t yet eaten an oliebol, it’s like a doughnut but without the hole, preferably eaten warm, coated with powdered sugar.

YES and sooooooo good. The first time I had them was at a market, there was a place selling them, I think I ate three. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, RoyKing said:

Nice touch, those Dutch treats in this story! We (Dutch people) have oliebollen at New Year’s Eve, and at fairs throughout the year. For those who haven’t yet eaten an oliebol, it’s like a doughnut but without the hole, preferably eaten warm, coated with powdered sugar.

Sounds similiar to a fasnacht that PA Dutch eat on the Tuesday before Lent.

I would also mention the pork and sauerkraut served at New Years.

Edited by dughlas
  • Like 1
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, dughlas said:

Sounds similiar to a fasnacht that PA Dutch eat on the Tuesday before Lent.

I would also mention the pork and sauerkraut served at New Years.

I thought that was more like a pancake what they eat on fasnacht. Yes, pork and sauerkraut on New Years eve. We ate German sausage with sauerkraut.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
12 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I thought that was more like a pancake what they eat on fasnacht. Yes, pork and sauerkraut on New Years eve. We ate German sausage with sauerkraut.

The pancake is more an English tradition I think. The fasnacht is a deepfried doughnut but without the hole. It was the long ago practice to serve them plain then spread with butter and molasses. That's a bit messy so it's more common now to have them coated in either granulated or powdered sugar. There are still some older folks who remember eating them with molasses when they were kids and that's what they prefer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, dughlas said:

The pancake is more an English tradition I think. The fasnacht is a deepfried doughnut but without the hole. It was the long ago practice to serve them plain then spread with butter and molasses. That's a bit messy so it's more common now to have them coated in either granulated or powdered sugar. There are still some older folks who remember eating them with molasses when they were kids and that's what they prefer.

I have never had these then. I'll need to check out the recipe. Molases is less sugar than the normal syrup we use. I actually prefer maple syrup, particularly home made.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

I have never had these then. I'll need to check out the recipe. Molases is less sugar than the normal syrup we use. I actually prefer maple syrup, particularly home made.

I did go and check out that recipe for Fasnachts. I had to laugh, I have eaten them when my dad was alive. He would make them, and told us they were fried donuts. We ate them with cinnamon sugar. I always knew them as fried donuts. Thanks for letting me relive a loving memory.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

I have never had these then. I'll need to check out the recipe. Molases is less sugar than the normal syrup we use. I actually prefer maple syrup, particularly home made.

Mmm, homemade maple syrup on pancakes or waffles.  Molasses on creamy grits. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..