Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 4,186 Words
  • 1,561 Views
  • 38 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2013 - Fall - Pandora's Box Entry

Lunch Box - 1. Chapter 1

The Lunch Box is just a little spot to get breakfast or lunch. You wouldn't know it is there unless you really looked, but if you find it and go in, you'll never forget it. Run by Dory and her husband, The Lunch Box is a treat, unless the rest of Dory's family shows up.

A special thank you to KC Grim and Rustle for their work in helping to make this worth reading. Without them, this wouldn't be the story you see before you.

Dory wiped down the counter one more time before checking her watch. She pulled her long black mane of hair into a pony tail as she looked through the pass thru to the hulking mass that was the cook. Standing at a little over six foot five, her classically built husband strolled effortlessly about his compact kitchen. His white cook’s outfit seemed stretched to the limits to contain his muscular body.

“You ready back there, Gus?”

She heard him grunt. It would be a while before he would talk to her again, especially after their argument earlier, she knew that. She just hoped today wouldn’t be one of those days when she needed his help. Guessing only the Fates knew what was ahead for today she just shook her head and shot him a crooked smile.

“Alright, I’m going to open.”

There was a small sign that doubled as mirror for her where she paused to make sure she was presentable. Her skin was flawless and she looked more like she belonged on an Italian runway showing the latest fashions than dishing hash here, but she really didn’t care. Dory smiled, smoothed down her red checkered skirt, adjusted her apron, and flicked on the green open sign that would state the Lunch Box Counter was ready for business. This was her place, and though it was small, she was damn proud of it.

Dory unlocked the front door and waited. Almost immediately two older women came through the doorway. One was smaller and frail somehow, while the taller one appeared to be a somewhat younger clone of the other. Dory checked her pocket for her pad and pen as stepped up to meet the women.

“Howdy, ladies. Welcome to the Lunch Box.” Dory smiled and pointed toward the counter. “Have a seat at the counter and I’ll be right with you.”

The taller of the two smiled and led the shorter woman to the counter.

Dory followed in their wake and picked up two menus and placed them before the women. There were just ten seats at the counter and the women settled themselves at the left end. The bright red seats and stainless steel counter gleamed as the two women looked around. There was the hint of cinnamon and bacon in the air as well as the scent of fresh brewed coffee, and Dory moved the platter of fresh baked black and white cookies out of their way as she set down the menus.

“Can I get you two ladies something to start off with? Coffee? Tea?”

“I would love a cup of coffee. Momma, what about you?”

The shorter woman looked at her daughter, her body seemingly curled and withered with age. Her eyes seemed dull and Dora noticed a shake to her hands as she rested them on the counter.

“Does it really matter, Molly?”

“If you prefer, I can get you a glass of iced tea, lemonade, or orange juice.” Dory stood watching the older woman carefully.

“Momma, please.” Molly’s voice sounded strained. “Let’s just have one nice meal.”

Dory watched the exchange and finally she knew what to do. It was an instinct she had learned long ago and she trusted it now completely.

“Okay, so none of the regular things appeal to you. How about a nice chocolate egg cream soda?”

The older woman looked up surprised. For the first time since she entered the Lunch Box there was life in those eyes.

“I haven’t had one of those since …well since I was a young girl. No, more like when I was dating. Where on earth did you ever hear of that?”

“Oh, you would be surprised what I know.” Dory shot her a wink. “Give me just a moment and I’ll whip one up for you.”

Dory smiled as she filled a large mug of coffee with her personal blend and then made up the egg cream soda.

“Would you like milk or cream with your coffee?” Dory looked down the counter and wasn’t surprised to see both women watching her intently.

“Milk. Thank you.”

Dory pulled a little pitcher out of the fridge and put it in front of the taller woman before setting the Egg Cream Soda down in front of her mother.

The older woman eyed it suspiciously before she took a sip.

“Oh my! “ She took another sip and then turned to her daughter. “Molly, try this.”

Molly took the glass and sipped.

“I haven’t had one of these since your father and I went to Coney Island years ago when we first started dating.”

“Really? I don’t think I’ve ever had one before.”

“Maybe not. Your father used to order them for us all the time. I can remember him saying, ‘Claire, this is gonna be our special drink.’ Every time we went to Coney Island he made sure to get us one.” Then she let go a little laugh.

Molly smiled. The brass bell, hanging over the door, tinkled as someone entered, causing Dory to look up. She spotted a tall blond man walking in.

“I’ll leave you ladies to look over the menu.”

Dory began to walk away as a young man took a seat at the other end of the counter.

“Welcome. Can I get you something to drink while you look over the menu?”

“Water, please, ma’am.”

Dory looked the gentleman over. His face was still baby smooth and his green eyes stayed focused on the menu. His hands and neck were showing signs of dirt and the shirt wasn’t the cleanest. As she stood closer to the man she could smell his slight body odor and see the dullness of his blond hair. The more she looked him over, the more she realized he wasn’t quite a man, but rather a tall boy who sat before her.

Dory poured out a glass of water and a glass of orange juice. She set both down before the boy.

“I … um... I didn’t order the juice ma’am.”

Dory nodded.

“Just drink your juice and look over the menu.” Dory watched as the boy squirmed in his seat and prepared to protest, but she cut him off. “I didn’t say I had charged you for it, either.”

The boy blushed.

“If you want to wash up, there is a restroom just past those ladies.”

The boy nodded, set the menu down, and made his way to the bathroom.

Dory shook her head and headed back to Claire and Molly.

“Your father was always pushing me to keep going and trying new things.” Claire smiled and her eyes filled with tears. “He’d hate to see me giving up now.”

“I’m sorry to interrupt. Do you ladies know what you would like for breakfast?”

Claire shook her head, blushed, and immediately picked up the menu.

“I know I’d like an order of pancakes.” Molly glanced at the menu before she spoke again. “Add a side of bacon to that. Mom, do you want your normal toast?”

“You know suddenly I have an appetite. Do you make omelets?”

“Yes we do. What would you like?”

“I’ll have a three egg omelet, with cheese, ham, onions, and … oh, what the hell, bacon, too.”

“Mom?” Molly looked at her mother, surprised.

“What?” Claire smiled and a little more color crept up her cheeks. “I can’t have an appetite?”

Dory wrote it up and passed it back to Gus.

As she did, the boy walked back to his seat looking much cleaner and more composed.

“Thank you, ma’am.”

“No problem.”

“Can I have an order of toast?”

“Sure. What else would you like?”

The boy shuffled uncomfortably in his chair. As he leaned forward his stomach began to growl loudly which made him blush again.

“Um, that’s all, ma’am.”

Dory took in the boy’s appearance again. Now that the dirt was washed off, she could clearly see the bruises near his neck and on his upper arm. Some were dark black and purple, but others were fading to a pale yellow. Whatever had been happening to the boy was ongoing.

“Okay, and the name is Dory.”

“Yes, ma’am … I mean Dory.”

“You got a name?”

“Charlie, ma’am.”

Dory laughed and nodded.

“Hey, Gus. Need a hungry man, toast on the side, please.”

Gus nodded and passed up a plate of pancakes and another with an omelet on it.

Dory grabbed them and took them down to the women.

As she got in front of them, Gus rang the bell and she turned to find him putting an order of bacon on the pass thru.

“Be right back with your bacon.”

“Mom, that looks huge.”

Claire turned from her omelet to the mountain of pancakes and now the plate of bacon that arrived along with a large container of maple syrup.

“Molly, that is a small mountain of food in front of you too. Shush now and let me enjoy my meal.”

Dory smiled and walked back down to Charlie. The boy had opened his wallet and Dory could clearly see he had two dollars sitting inside it. Dory nodded and pretended not to notice anything.

“Food will be up in a moment.”

“Thank you.”

“You’re going to be late to school, aren’t you?”

Charlie carefully put away his wallet and looked at his hands.

“No, ma’am.”

“You graduated?”

Charlie blushed, but shook his head no.

Before she could say another word the bell behind her rang and she turned to see the platter of food waiting.

Dory walked over, picked it up, and brought it over to Charlie.

On the platter were two sunny side up eggs, three sausage links, a thick slice of Canadian ham, three slices of bacon, two slices of toast, two pancakes, and two slices of French toast.

“I … I only ordered toast,” Charlie squeaked out as he saw the platter of food.

“Oops. My mistake. Oh well, eat and enjoy, Charlie. Otherwise I just have to toss it out. I’ll only charge you for the toast.”

Charlie’s eyes grew large and his stomach rumbled again.

“Thank you.”

Dory nodded and left him to check on her other patrons.

“How is everything, ladies?”

“Delicious,” Molly said between mouthfuls, looking rather embarrassed.

“Dory, when you have a moment, could you make me another egg cream?” Claire’s cheeks took on a gentle glow as she looked happily at Dory. Dory noted that Claire was also sitting a little taller, like the weight she had been carrying had been lifted.

“No problem at all.”

“Are you sure, Ma?” Molly glanced at her watch and then back at her mother. “We have a little time till we have to go the hospital. We still have to get the results and we shouldn’t be late.”

“The results will be the same if we are there on time or late. Besides for the first time in a long time I feel alive again.”

Molly nodded and patted her mother’s hand.

“I’ll be back in a minute with your egg cream. Do you need more coffee?”

“Yes, please.”

Dory began to make the egg cream while keeping an eye on Charlie who was making his way through the pile of food on his platter. There was no denying the boy was hungry, but she was concerned about the marks on his body.

She brought the pot of coffee and the egg cream soda down to the women. She topped off the coffee and headed back.

“Gus, could you come here a moment?” Dory bit her bottom lip as she glanced quickly at Charlie before turning her attention back to the kitchen.

The dark face of Gus came to peer out the pass through. His dark brown eyes cut through Dory while she stood there.

“I’m not the problem. He is,” Dory stated, as she nodded her head in Charlie’s direction.

“Hmm.” Gus turned and let his dark eyes roam over the tall pale boy sitting at the counter.

“Note the bruises.” Dory paused as she watched Charlie take a large drink of the orange juice before he began on the piece of ham. “And the poor kid is starving.”

Gus raised his eyebrows but didn’t say anything. He simply waited for his wife to speak.

“Well? I need a little help on this one.”

There was a deep sigh.

“Look, I’ve found a way to use my curiosity to help people. But this, this is a bit beyond my ability.”

Gus looked out at the boy. He was silent and then ran his hand through his dark hair before he focused on Dory again.

“Fine. No food orders for a while then.” Gus turned off the grill and put a few dishes in the sink.

Dory smiled. She knew Gus would help solve this issue. She watched as he walked out the back door and smiled to herself. Gus would be able to do what she couldn’t. Dory waited to see what form Gus would take to aid the poor boy who was silently scarfing down his food.

A moment later a policeman walked in the front door. He was a giant of a man, towering over everyone else in the place. The outfit looked like it had been custom made to fit his massive chest. He strode across the floor, slipped off his hat, and sat down beside Charlie. Dory smiled as she spied her husband’s profile, as he leaned toward the counter, and winked as his wife.

“Coffee.” The cop’s deep voice rumbled across the room.

“Coming right up.” Dory grabbed a mug and began to pour a cup out.

Charlie paused from his meal when he noticed someone had sat down right beside him. When he noticed the uniform, he looked back at his food.

Dory left “Officer Gus” to help Charlie.

“Anything else ladies? A cup of coffee for the road? A fresh blue berry muffin for later?”

“Dear, no more. I can barely roll off this stool as it is.” Molly laughed, as she slowly stood up again.

“Tempting, but no thank you, Dory.” Claire slowly stood up and looked around the Lunch Box Counter. “I’m surprised we never stopped in here before. Has the Lunch Box been here long?”

Dory paused and looked around at the small luncheonette.

“Oh, it’s been here for a long, long time. People, however, only seem to drift in when they need to. Otherwise they just walk on by, busy with their day to day lives.”

“I’m surprised. The place is so cheery and makes you feel alive.” Claire smiled as she looked at Dory.

“I’m glad you enjoyed yourself.” Dory placed down the bill and began to walk away.

“Hold on. I just want to make sure this is paid.” Molly smiled as she laid down a hundred dollar bill.

“I’ll be right back with your change.”

“No!” Molly and Claire said at the same time.

Claire blushed and Molly laughed.

“The rest is for you. Honest, we both needed a break and for some reason this little place gave it to us.”

Claire leaned over and gave Dory a kiss on her cheek.

“I’ve been battling cancer and had lost the will to fight. You helped to remind me of all that I have survived and the things I still have to teach my daughter and grandchildren. For that alone, I can’t thank you enough.”

“Come on, Mom. Let’s go get your results.”

Dory watched as Molly and Claire walked out the door arm and arm. She could see their smiles as they turned and walked down the street together. She nodded and focused her attention back to Charlie.

“You shouldn’t have had to go through that, son. I’m glad you told me what has been going on.”

Dory paused, afraid to stop the conversation that Gus was having with Charlie.

Charlie had stopped eating, and was just playing with a piece of egg on his platter. He didn’t look at Gus but evidently had told him what had been going on in his life.

“I’m going to go make a few calls and see if I can get you some help, Charlie. Wait here with Dory. I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

Dory watched Gus get up and head to the door. He stopped and looked back at her, his eyes were glowing, and she was glad she wasn’t going to be on the receiving end of whatever he had planned.

“Hey, Charlie. Would you like more Orange Juice?”

“No, thank you.”

Charlie had gotten about half way through the platter. Dory figured whatever Charlie had told Gus had killed his appetite, but she was determined that the poor boy would be well fed.

“Hmm. Guess that has all gotten cold on you.”

“Sorry, ma’am. Just not hungry.”

At that point his stomach betrayed him as it gurgled again.

“Well, maybe not for that stuff.”

Dory swept the platter and silverware up and put it all into the small tub she had behind the counter. She walked over to where there was a small platter, lifted the cover and took a cheese bun off of it, slid it onto a plate, and carried it back to Charlie.

“Try that. It won’t go cold on you. I promise.”

Charlie looked up and Dory immediately could see the copious tears streaming from his emerald green eyes.

Dory walked around the counter and hugged Charlie. The boy leaned into her shoulder and began to cry in earnest. Huge heaving sobs escaped his body and Dory just held him while he cried. His tears soaked her apron, but she just held the poor boy while all the pain he had been holding onto washed out of him through his tears. When the tears finally ran out, Charlie pulled back embarrassed.

“I’m sorry, ma’am.” Charlie sniffled. “I didn’t mean to do that.”

Dory placed a box of tissues before him.

“Now, don’t you worry none. Everyone needs a good cry now and then. It helps to get the pain that can poison your soul out.”

Charlie just sat there quietly, and then blew his nose.

Dory wasn’t sure what to do when she spotted Gus coming back with a woman she never expected to see. She was dressed in a peacock green business suit and her long dark hair was swept up into a bun. She was nearly as tall as Gus and her spiked heels did little to make her fit in.

“Charlie, this is H…”

“Helen.” Her golden eyes went quickly to Dory before she focused on Charlie. “I specialize in families. Gus asked me to help and I think I can straighten this out for you. There is no reason a child should ever be forced to live on the streets. If your family can’t be made to realize this then I can take steps to make sure you are taken care of till you can take care of yourself.”

Dory watched in disbelief as the woman quickly took charge and soon had Charlie heading out the door with her. The bell tinkled again as they both passed out the door and into the street.

“Of all people, you went to her for help?” Dory stared open mouthed at her husband.

“Well, I didn’t plan on it, but you know how it is when they run into you. Why do you think I try not to leave here?”

“But of all people,” sputtered Dory angrily, “you had to run into her!”

“You act like I had a choice. Besides, you know as well as I do, neither of us could have stopped her.”

Dory stared angrily at Gus. She wanted to rant and rave, but she knew he was right.

“Well?” Gus stood there watching her.

“Letting him go off with Hera. I know that isn’t going to end well.”

Gus stared at his wife. Centuries together allowed him to just sigh.

Dory shook her head.

“Okay. I’m sorry.” Dory took a deep breath, hugged her husband, and stepped back. “It isn’t your fault. I know she is the Goddess of family and everything. Maybe she can help him.”

“Well, I also ran into another of the old group.” Gus began to rotate the cop’s hat that he held nervously in his hands.

Dory raised her head and looked at her husband.

“Yeah.” Gus shifted back and forth on his feet as he talked. “Gany was wandering about. He wasn’t happy to hear about the whole thing and was going to make a little visit to Charlie’s family too. One way or another, trust me, the kid will be fine.”

“Gany? Do you mean to tell me you ran into Ganymede? Oh, seven hells of Hades. I really don’t need both Hera and him running into each other. God forbid they talk to HIM. Like, we haven’t been working to ease things just a bit for people?” Dory walked away from him and hugged herself as she looked out at the passing humanity.

“Honey, face it.” Gus came up behind his wife and hugged her. “You managed to sweet talk Hephaestus into working the original box into the creation of this place. If his father really had an issue with it, he would have made it known by now.”

Dory sighed and leaned back against her husband.

“Come on now. You know how to ferret out almost anything. If the big man still had a problem with you, you’d know it.”

“Gus, we moved halfway across the world to get away from them, and they followed us. Wherever their ideals are, so are they.”

“Yeah. However, they don’t have the same influence they once did, Dory.”

There was a tinkling of a bell as a customer walked in.

“Hi,” Dory began sliding out of her husband’s arms and toward the new customer. “Have a seat and I’ll be right with you.”

Gus nodded and headed toward the door when he heard the deep booming voice answer his wife.

“Thank you. So what’s on the menu, Pandora?”

“Zeus?” Dory stood perfectly still as she watched the tall man in the Armani suit turn to face her.

“Were you expecting my wife again?”

“No,” she said nervously, “but I wasn’t expecting to see you, either.”

“Relax. I just figured I would stop by and see how you and Epimetheus were doing.”

“Gus.” Dory looked at her husband. “He goes by Gus now.”

“Yes, well, how you and Gus were doing.” Zeus glanced around the lunch counter and smiled. “Guess that was one way to use the box I gave you.”

“We’re fine.”

“So I see. Well, it must have been something rare, then, to have had both Hera and Ganymede stop in to help a human.”

Gus stood perfectly still. His brother, Prometheus, had warned him against doing anything to ever raise Zeus’s interest. Unfortunately, in one day he had run into both Zeus’ wife and his cupbearer. He had no doubt why the King of the Gods was now standing in the middle of the Lunch Box talking to his wife. He had alerted Zeus to their whereabouts.

“After you gave me that wonderful box as a wedding present, we had to do something, Dad. I mean, well, after the box was opened, hope did hang around the longest. Guilt was another little gift you gave to humanity. Both Gus and I feel it daily and try to do what we can now for those who seem to be lost. With a little effort we try to help people rediscover hope, if they have lost it.”

Zeus’s stormy grey eyes looked over Pandora carefully.

“Well that isn’t exactly what I had hoped for when I gave you this box.”

“No, but then you just wanted the box opened.” Dory smiled coldly at Zeus.

“I thought you might have a little more respect for your father.”

Dory turned and her blue eyes blazed for a moment, then she simmered down and smiled, tilted her head and stared intently at Zeus. “I’m just as you made me, but time has tempered things.”

“So I see.” Zeus stood and grasped Pandora’s shoulders. “Stay well, and try to leave the rest of the family alone.”

“Don’t I always?”

Zeus shook his head and stopped by Epimetheus on his way out. “Take care of her.”

“I have been trying.”

Zeus strode out the door without a backward glance. The bell tinkled and storm clouds seemed to fill the sky suddenly.

“Well, that could have gone better.” Gus’s police clothes faded to kitchen whites.

“I think we’ve handled enough today, babe. All we can do is hope tomorrow will be a bit better.” Dory stood on her toes and kissed her husband’s cheek.

There was the crash of thunder and rain began to fall outside. Through the window people could be seen scurrying to get out of the sudden rainfall.

Dory walked over and clicked off the open sign. She and Gus walked through the door into the kitchen and turned off the rest of the lights.

So that is my entry for Pandora's Box. I hope it was a nice twist to the idea. Comments are always welcomed. If you enjoyed my story please feel free to click the like button.

Once more, a special thank you to both KC Grim and Rustle. Your work on this story was invaluable and my gratitude knows no bounds.
Copyright © 2013 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2013 - Fall - Pandora's Box Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Nicely done! I liked the twist. I was enjoying the story, but completely clueless until Helen was revealed. :lol: Then I went back and read it again, lol. I especially liked Dory's character. Reminds me of a sweet little croc I know :P Good story, thanks for sharing!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I love stories about the Greek gods. Older civilizations used human nature and regular nature to explain everything. It can lead to some interesting characters when people use that to dictate the nature of their characters. I really liked the idea of the 'box' being a restaurant where people could find a bit of hope, if they were driven to need it by the outside world. Thanks for sharing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Lovely. :2thumbs:

It always baffled me why Hope, the only thing remaining in the box, was in there with the evils of the world in the first place. False hope would be an evil i suppose, but ....

I especially love the imagery of "Dory" opening her "box" in the morning and using it's one remaining object to help people.

Thanks!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

What a great story. Wish there were "Lunch Boxes" scattered about in this world. Sadly, not many around now days. Great job!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I love Greek mythology but it took me a while to understand what was going on in the Lunch Box. Lovely story !! Good job !! :2thumbs:

 

Dory = the Croc :huh: interesting, Cassie :P

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I liked this. It took a while to see where you were going with the story and it ended up going in a surprising and entertaining direction. Loved the dynamics among the family members at the end.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Really interesting! I admit I would love to see more writing from this 'verse, I really love the idea of the old gods living amongst us in modern times.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great story, Comicfan! :)

 

I loved the nickname you gave Pandora. And I loved the idea of the box being the luncheonette.

 

And was Hephaestus Alexander the Great's "best friend"? Or am I mixing up my eras? lol

 

I wish there was more to read! :2thumbs:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/14/2013 11:59 AM, Lisa said:
Great story, Comicfan! :)

 

I loved the nickname you gave Pandora. And I loved the idea of the box being the luncheonette.

 

And was Hephaestus Alexander the Great's "best friend"? Or am I mixing up my eras? lol

 

I wish there was more to read! :2thumbs:

Hephaestus is Hera and Zeus' son. He was charged with the creation of Pandora and the box for Zeus. I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I was happy with how it turned out. :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/14/2013 08:07 AM, SanguineAffair said:
Really interesting! I admit I would love to see more writing from this 'verse, I really love the idea of the old gods living amongst us in modern times.
Thank you for the review Sanguine. Glad you enjoyed the story. :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/14/2013 06:21 AM, Percy said:
I liked this. It took a while to see where you were going with the story and it ended up going in a surprising and entertaining direction. Loved the dynamics among the family members at the end.
Glad you enjoyed it Percy. I try not to repeat the same thing and try to show something different in my stories. Glad you enjoyed it.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/14/2013 05:58 AM, Slytherin said:
I love Greek mythology but it took me a while to understand what was going on in the Lunch Box. Lovely story !! Good job !! :2thumbs:

 

Dory = the Croc :huh: interesting, Cassie :P

I'm glad you like it Slytherin. You know how I love my myths, legends, and fairy tales. Whenever I can play in those universes I love it.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/14/2013 01:48 AM, joann414 said:
What a great story. Wish there were "Lunch Boxes" scattered about in this world. Sadly, not many around now days. Great job!
Just when you need the lunch box you will find it. Glad you liked my story Jo Ann.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/13/2013 11:52 PM, Kitt said:
Lovely. :2thumbs:

It always baffled me why Hope, the only thing remaining in the box, was in there with the evils of the world in the first place. False hope would be an evil i suppose, but ....

I especially love the imagery of "Dory" opening her "box" in the morning and using it's one remaining object to help people.

Thanks!

Thanks for the review Kitt. The story goes that hope was the last thing in the box so that humanity would have a reason to carry on. I guess even Zeus has a heart there somewhere. :lol:
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/13/2013 11:52 PM, Kitt said:
Lovely. :2thumbs:

It always baffled me why Hope, the only thing remaining in the box, was in there with the evils of the world in the first place. False hope would be an evil i suppose, but ....

I especially love the imagery of "Dory" opening her "box" in the morning and using it's one remaining object to help people.

Thanks!

Thanks for the review Kitt. The story goes that hope was the last thing in the box so that humanity would have a reason to carry on. I guess even Zeus has a heart there somewhere. :lol:
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/13/2013 05:56 PM, asamvav111 said:
Warm and fuzzy, typical Comicfan stuff. Made my day! :hug:
Thank you Asamvav. You know I usually go for the happy endings. Glad you enjoyed the Lunch Box. Figured I had to do something a little different with Pandora. Glad no one else took this route.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/13/2013 01:37 PM, Cia said:
I love stories about the Greek gods. Older civilizations used human nature and regular nature to explain everything. It can lead to some interesting characters when people use that to dictate the nature of their characters. I really liked the idea of the 'box' being a restaurant where people could find a bit of hope, if they were driven to need it by the outside world. Thanks for sharing.
Well I know the original box was considered a jar. So, when I thought of what you might seal in a jar, I thought of food and pickling. The stretch of having the jar changed into a restaurant where food was served was a natural to me. Then I just had some fun playing with the Gods themselves. Glad you enjoyed it.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/13/2013 11:58 AM, said:
Wow! I loved the twist. Very well-executed and heart-warming. <3
Thank you Myiege. I try not to do the expected in my stories. A twist usually makes it a lot more interesting. Glad you enjoyed it.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/13/2013 10:48 AM, CassieQ said:
Nicely done! I liked the twist. I was enjoying the story, but completely clueless until Helen was revealed. :lol: Then I went back and read it again, lol. I especially liked Dory's character. Reminds me of a sweet little croc I know :P Good story, thanks for sharing!!
Hmm. So Jo Ann looks like she just stepped off an Italian Runway as a model, but is more interested in helping the people than her appearance. Interesting to know. As for the twist, well, I usually have one in my stories, don't I? lol. Glad you liked it Cassie. :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Oh my god, I love your take about Pandora's Box. This is amazing. I knew something was amiss when Gus walked in the Police Officer's uniform and brought a child service officer in seconds... Very well done. It's a great story. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I like the idea of a café where your problems can be solved. Bringing in the mythical elements as you did gave it a nice twist. Thanks for sharing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..