Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,167 Words
  • 737 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Prompt You Say! - 12. The Beach Search

This came from another source where I didn't create the topic for a change. So enjoy the Beach Search. Details about what had to be used in this prompt come after the story.

I sat relaxing in my chair while TJ finished the steaks on the grill. It was nice sitting here listening to the waves crash on the beach as the smell of sea and food drifted in the fresh air. Hell, it was wonderful to be away from the city and my job.

“Hey, hon. Dinner will be ready in a moment. Do me a favor and grab the drinks out of the cooler.”

TJ always liked to have things ready when the meal hit the table. I got out of my chair and walked over to the cooler. I snagged out two cans of soda and set them on the table he had set up for us. Hell, even while living out of a camper he made sure our meals weren’t something simple.

“I’m glad you got this job. At least you don’t have to worry about models, clothing, and how long they will be in make-up for a change.”

“Yeah, photographing the forests here on Fire Island is a nice change. It’s been a long time since I got to simply take pictures of gorgeous landscapes.”

TJ set the steaks onto our plates and brought them over after turning off the grill. God, the man could cook. Here we were on the beach and he had made caramelized onions, steaks, salad, grilled vegetables, and even had a bottle of his homemade dressing sitting on the table. Just looking at such a meal made my mouth water.

“You know I’d be happier if you ate your food fully cooked.”

“Sorry, babe. You know I like my steak to moo.”

TJ shook his head, but let me eat the rest of my meal in peace. Besides, he might ask if I wanted my food well done but he always made it perfectly medium rare for me when we had red meat.

Everything tasted delicious. Between us we emptied everything that had been cooked. I admit I devoured the salad, but TJ finished off the roasted vegetables. We had just finished cleaning up when a little girl came rushing into our camp site.

“Cuse me, have you seen a doggoby?”

“Huh?” TJ stood completely confused as she rushed everything out in one breath of air.

She wiped her face and looked at us as she slowed down and asked again.

“Have you seen a dog go by this place? Dusty got out of the camper and I don’t know where she is!”

TJ looked at me and I knew my night was gone. All he had to hear was an animal or a child was in danger and I knew we would be part of the search group.

“Calm down. The dog’s name is Dusty?”

“Y-yes.”

“What does Dusty look like?”

“A dog.”

I knew TJ was out of his element. With the way she talked it was like dealing with some of my models. I took a deep breath and waded into the problem myself.

“Okay, we want to help you find Dusty.”

She looked at me and nodded.

“What is your name?”

“Betty.”

“Hi Betty. I’m Allen and this is TJ.” I watched as Betty followed my hands as I pointed to myself and then TJ. “Now we want help you find your dog. Is Dusty a big or small dog?”

“Dusty is small.”

“Good. Do you know what color Dusty is?”

“Red and white.”

“Alright. That helps. Do you know what breed Dusty is?”

Betty began to cry and shook her head.

“Okay, well we will help you look. Was she wearing a collar or leash?”

“She … she had a leash on. I was going to take her for a walk when she got out.”

I nodded and locked up our camper before following her. As we walked and looked into every available space, we called for Dusty. We walked all along the edge of the camp until we had gone beyond the last tent when we heard whining.

We followed the noise and found a corgi with her leash caught in the edge of the fence to keep people from going into the protected dunes and woods. It took us a few minutes to unwrap the leash and then we followed a smiling Betty back to her own camp.

“Betty, oh my god, where have you been?” An older woman who bore a striking resemblance to Betty came running toward us.

“She wandered into our camp site looking for her dog. Evidently Dusty had gotten away. We found the dog on the edge of the camp grounds and brought them both home.”

Betty and Dusty were happily playing, ignoring the woman who quickly checked them both over. Finally she stood up and walked over to us.

“Thank you so much. We didn’t know where she had gone. We were so worried about finding her we didn’t even notice Dusty was gone too. My husband is going site to site looking for her right now. I’ve been waiting here in case she showed up.”

“It is no problem. I’m just glad we could be of help.”

TJ and I turned to leave but she wasn’t having any of that yet.

“Oh, forgive me. I’m Betsy Romeo. My husband, Antonio will be right back.”

“I’m Allen Frazier and this is my husband TJ Constance.”

“Why does your name sound familiar?”

Even out here away from the daily backstabbing I found I wasn’t able to escape my name. I should have just introduced us using TJ’s last name.

“I’m not sure. Anyway, we don’t want to be a bother. Just going to return to our site and turn in.”

“Are you sure? I’m sure Antonio will want to thank you as well.”

“Really,” TJ began all smiles as he stepped between us, “it was no problem and we are glad to have been of help. However, we have to be up early and were getting ready to retire when Betty walked in. We have to get ready to get to bed shortly or Allen won’t be able to finish his work come morning. He has to be up before the crack of dawn, literally.”

My honey might not be too good with children but he can charm the pants off any adult. I had to give him credit; he got us out of there with no fuss at all. Betsy simply shook both our hands and thanked us again as we left the camp grounds.

He leaned in close and kissed my cheek.

“Thanks for helping that little girl find her dog. Now let’s get back to our camper so I can give you your dessert.”

I smiled and raced him to the door.

p>Your Character: A Photographer, Your Setting: Near a national forest, Your Time: After a big meal, Your Situation/Challenge: Someone has found or lost something.

 

So those were the elements I had to play with. If you liked it feel free to click like. Comments are always welcomed.

Copyright © 2012 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 05/24/2012 05:41 PM, JOeKEool said:
Good one Com !! I always like your prompt stories. Very inventive.
Thanks Joe. I always feel the prompts are a place to try something new. Face it, I never do what many expect in my work.
Link to comment
On 05/24/2012 05:41 PM, JOeKEool said:
Good one Com !! I always like your prompt stories. Very inventive.
Thanks Joe. I always feel the prompts are a place to try something new. Face it, I never do what many expect in my work.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..