Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 2,583 Words
  • 7,413 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

All In - 20. Chapter 20

Chapter 20

 

What the hell is wrong with him today? Devyn wondered as he looked over at Jason as they walked to his SUV. The huge man seemed nervous, jittery. God, he hoped the man didn't do anything stupid.

Devyn slung the backpack on the floor of the Ford as he climbed in, careful of his sore body. He watched the tall man slide in, resting his hands on the steering wheel. Jason took a deep breath.

Devyn slid his hand to the man's thick thigh, hesitantly, wanting to soothe the man.

Jason's eyes shot up to meet his.

^It's okay,^ Devyn assured, watching the man's face crumple in pity and distress. Devyn tried to smile. ^I'm fine.^

"Devyn, I--" But Jason couldn't look at him. And Devyn couldn't blame him. His shame swept over him as he pulled his hand back and turned to the window, not wanting to see the look of distain or disgust from the man.

The engine started, and they pulled away from the Milburn estate. It wasn't long before they pulled up to a familiar apartment building. The 'spanish tutor'.

"Devyn," Jason's voice was suddenly tense but an odd conviction and fierce resolve that Devyn didn't understand, and Devyn looked at him through his blond bangs. "I want you to listen to me--"

Devyn shook his head and smiled. ^Just stay here. I'll be back--^ He didn't want this man to have to walk him in there, knowing what he was leading Devyn to now.

"No, stop."

Devyn frowned.

"I'm not letting you go in there alone," Jason said with a growl. "God, if I'd known all these times what I was taking you to..." Jason dropped his head back on the headrest, his eyes tinged with the hint of tears.

Devyn started to protest, not wanting this man who had allowed him some happiness with Michael to berate himself for something he couldn't have changed. But Jason snapped up, his eyes suddenly hard with steely determination. "No, listen, I have some evidence." He glanced up at the apartment building as he pulled his phone from the front pocket of his shirt. "But we can get more."

Devyn found himself shaking his head insistently. No, no, no. No, he couldn't be saying this. He'd get himself killed if Brad ever found out--

"No," Jason snapped, and Devyn saw the hard look of tenacity in his eyes. "I'm doing this with or without you," he said, and before Devyn could react, Jason had plucked the backpack up out of Devyn's hands and slung it over his own shoulder. He was out of the car before Devyn broke from his stunned confusion at Jason's vehement determination.

Devyn jumped from the car, slamming the door as he raced after the taller man.

^No, no, no--^ Devyn implored, grabbing at Jason's button down shirt sleeve.

"Devyn, just follow my lead," Jason said calmly. "Please."

Devyn stilled at the beseeching look his guard was giving him. Shit, the idiot was going to get them both killed, Devyn groaned. Well, maybe badly maimed. Devyn sighed. What the fuck did it matter anymore? He'd already lost the one thing that had begun to make his life worth living for anyway.

^Fine,^ Devyn finally agreed, heading for the elevator, hoping he wasn't leading the man to his funeral.

 

@@@@

 

Jason took a calming breath as he set his phone to silent before turning on the video from the camera. He showed Devyn, who just frowned at him, as he hit the record button and slid it into his shirt pocket. The top of the phone peeked out with the camera lens and microphone visible.

Jason smiled as Devyn shifted uneasily.

"Just smile and keep quiet," Jason said.

Devyn rolled his eyes at the ridiculous statement.

Jason flushed when he realized what he had said. "Oh, yeah. Well, you know what I mean."

Jason moved in front of Devyn. "Stay behind me," he whispered before he knocked on the door.

Jason shifted the backpack on his shoulder as the door opened to a smaller, hispanic-looking man. Jorge Natales, 'the spanish tutor', actually looked very friendly. He was well-dressed and very clean cut. Jason would not have guessed the man to be a drug dealer nor a sexual predator. Of course, that was probably the whole point.

"Ahh, Devyn, come on in, son," Jorge greeted, waving his hand.

Jason took the opportunity to step into the doorway, effectively blocking the man from shutting him out.

"Hey there, Mr. Natales," Jason greeted, holding his hand out. "I'm Jason Yates. I'm with Devyn now."

The man looked stunned by Jason's move into the apartment for a second before recovering and shaking Jason's hand.

"Of course. Brad told me a new guy would be escorting Devyn when we last spoke," Jorge smiled, his gaze sweeping over the blond as he edged in behind his bodyguard.

"Good," Jason took another step, glad that the man instinctively retreated.

"Come on in, Devyn," the olive-skinned man urged, reaching for the younger blond.

Jason shifted to subtly block the man.

"There's a coffee shop across the street," Jorge suggested, not so subtly.

"Well, here's the thing," Jason said, shifting the backpack so that the man realized who was holding his stash. "Brad told to keep an eye on the kid."

"He's never--"

"Yeah, see there was an accident last week with one of the other guys, so Brad's being a little protective today."

"An accident? How so?" the man frowned, as if he didn't believe what Jason was saying.

Shit, Jason cursed in his head, if the man didn't believe him and called Brad...

"Show 'im, Devyn," Jason nudged the small blond, reluctantly conceding that it was probably the only way to appease the man's doubt.

Devyn hesitated before pulling up his shirt slightly to reveal the dark purpled bruise on his ribs.

Jorge scowled, reaching to touch the boy's ribs, "Shit, some of those other assholes don't know how to treat you do they, sweetheart?"

Jason choked down his growl as he shifted further in front of Devyn, blocking the other man's view of the kid, as well as the seeking hand. Like hell you're going to touch him again, you bastard, Jason curled a fist, but managed to keep the slight smile on his face.

"I've never hurt him. Have I, Dev?" Jorge looked like he might step around Jason, but he didn't. Instead, he just looked disappointed. "Well, crap, and I was looking forward to your visit."

Jason schooled his features to mask the disgust trying to rise up this throat.

"So, anyway, I'm here with the kid," Jason reiterated, "Just to be safe."

"Yeah, well," Jorge seemed to focus more on Jason now that he knew that the man wasn't leaving, "the other guy, Kieran, never stayed before, even when--"

"That's 'cause Brad didn't trust him worth shit. Brad and I go way back," Jason grunted, forcing his best tough-guy attitude, hoping the guy would believe him. "We stole our first car together. Stripped it, sold off the parts. Way back when, you know. We've been pretty tight since then," Jason continued with a crooked smile, thinking that the man might think he was more trustworthy knowing he'd done illegal stuff too.

The man tilted his head slightly. "So how come you're just now starting to work for Brad, then?" Obviously, the man wasn't quite ready to believe his story.

"Cause I was in jail for a couple years," Jason lied easily. "I laid low for a bit and then Brad called me to do him a favor. So here I am."

Jorge Natales laughed, holding out his hand. "Give me the backpack."

Jason handed it over, keeping his body angled directly at the man to make sure it recorded everything he was doing. Jorge immediately opened a zipper pocket hidden inside of the pack, pulling out an ziploc bag that held several smaller bags of a white powder. Jason almost smiled when the man held up the bag to examine it, pulling out one packet to test it.

"Not that I don't trust Brad," Jorge explained as he tasted the drug, "But you never know."

Jason just shrugged. "Hey, for all I know it's powdered sugar. I just brought the kid and the backpack. I didn't pack it."

"Powdered sugar, right," the man snorted. The man sighed in satisfaction as he put the bag down and reached for the counter. "Brad does sell the best cut of coke, purer than some of the other shit out there who cut 'til is barely nothin'. My buyers have never been happier."

Jason tensed briefly when he couldn't see the man's hand, worried that the next thing he'd see was a gun in his face. But the drug dealer just pulled back a wad of cash and shoved it into the pocket that the drugs had been in. Jorge zipped up the bag and held it out to Jason.

Jason glanced back at Devyn as he took the bag. The kid was still standing there in near shock at what was happening. "Let's go, Devyn."

He nudged the boy toward the door, keeping his body between the drug dealer and the kid. He noticed that Devyn's hand was shaking as he reached for the doorknob.

"Bye, Devyn," Jorge called, grabbing the edge of the door as it swung open. "I'll see you in a couple weeks."

Not if I have anything to say about it, asshole, Jason thought. Instead, he just nodded his good-bye and herded Devyn toward the elevator as quickly as possible without looking like they were running.

As soon as the elevator doors closed, Jason sagged against the wall. Devyn eyed him warily as he grabbed his phone from his pocket and hit the 'stop' button.

They didn't say anything until they reached the car.

Devyn sat with his arms crossed, glaring at Jason.

Jason was grinning like an idiot; he was ecstatic at the three videos he now had on his phone. They'd have to be enough. There was no way that the police could ignore what had been said on them, if the right people listened.

Jason looked up at Devyn. "Now, we can go to the police."

Devyn's eyes widened.

"We have evidence," Jason grinned. "All you have to do is tell what you--"

But Devyn was shaking his head, tears starting to form in the corners of his eyes.

"Devyn, Devyn, calm down," Jason soothed.

^They won't listen. They never do.^

"They have to this time. And I really think the sheriff will listen. At least he seemed different than that Deputy Watson who came by this weekend," Jason said, trying his best to convince Devyn that it was time to seek help. Again.. Obviously, the boy wasn't quite so sure he was ready to do that after being shut out and ignored over three years ago for the same thing. "Look, I want to show you another video." And he played the one he'd recorded last night. At first, Devyn frowned at the blank screen before he heard the voices. His eyes widened at hearing Brad actually admit to murder. "See, they can't ignore this, and if they try, I'll take it to someone else."

Devyn cut his eyes at Jason. ^Not if Brad kills you first.^

"Look, I've sent these to other people, so others will see it. He can't bury this. There's no way he can stop it now. Too many people will know. So if you and I go to the police now, tell them everything...."

Jason could see the faint spark of hope flicker in the blue eyes as the boy considered what he was saying.

^But, Brad will know... when we don't come home... that something is wrong--"

"I'll call him, tell him I'm running over to visit with my dad first. That'll buy us some time before he guesses anything might be wrong."

Devyn still didn't look totally convinced, but he nodded anyway.

"Good." He grabbed up his phone, dialing Brad Milburn.

The man picked up on the second ring.

"Is something wrong, Jace?" Brad asked immediately.

"Nah, of course not," Jason kept his voice calm and even. "I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to run over to visit my dad while we're out, that's all. So we'll be a little later--"

"Bring Devyn home first," Brad interrupted.

Jason hesitated, casting a worried glance at the boy.

"But that'll take--"

"You can visit your father after you've dropped off Devyn," Brad stated firmly.

Devyn was nodding frantically, waving his hands to indicate for Jason to just agree before Brad got suspicious of anything.

"Alright, we'll be there shortly," Jason said.

"Good," Brad said. "I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit with your father much more without a kid hanging around." Then the line clicked off.

"Well, shit," Jason snapped.

^Just take me home, then go to the police, like you planned.^

"But what about you? You have to tell them--"

^It'll buy you time to tell them.^

"But--"

^Just go!^ Devyn waved his hand toward the road.

Jason wasn't sure that he liked this at all. He didn't want Devyn to be out of his sight. But Devyn had a point. And maybe this way if anything went wrong, Brad wouldn't realize that Devyn had anything to do with it.

His head started pounding and his stomach was in knots as he drove back toward the Milburn estate. He pulled up the circular drive, noting that Sam was already standing at the front door. Jason waved at him from his open window, before turning to Devyn.

"You sure about this?" he whispered as Devyn reached for the door handle.

The teen nodded at him, glancing pointedly at the backpack at his feet.

^Go as soon as I'm out, they won't realize I don't have it until you're gone.^ Devyn worded, knowing Sam's view of him was blocked by Jason and the vehicle.

Jason barely nodded, before calling louder for Sam's benefit. "Go on, kid, get on out, so I can go see my dad."

Devyn opened the door. ^Be on your phone. He'll try to call as soon as he realizes I don't have it.^

Jason grabbed up his phone, turning to smile at Sam as he brought it up to his ear, making it very obvious to Sam that he was making a phone call. "Hey, man, how are you doing?"

As soon as Devyn closed the door, Jason waved with his other hand at Sam, driving off before Devyn had stepped around the car. He made sure that he didn't look over at the kid, even though every instinct told him to. He risked a glance in the rearview as he reached the end of the driveway.

He saw Sam's hands gesture angrily at the teen before the hulk looked up to his retreating car. He could practically hear the man curse as he whipped out his phone. Seconds later, Jason heard the tell tale sound of an incoming call and forced it to voicemail. Eventually, he'd have to return the call, but he needed to be far enough away that returning right away wasn't an option.

As he made the turn out of the drive, he saw Sam grab the kid's neck in frustration, yanking the boy into the house.

"Shit," he grumbled, "this better fucking work."

Copyright © 2014 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 2
  • Wow 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is finally getting to the good parts. I know it's gonna hit the fan, but I liked this chapter because for once they heroes got their way

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Wow...this is getting intense! I'm so glad you post so often since it makes the cliffhangers more bearable. I really fear for Devyn. This isn't going to go as smoothly as Jason thinks it will... Great job, CM. I'm enthralled!

Link to comment

Jason is finally trying to do something, hopefully Devyn won't pay for it too much. I wish it could go smoothly, but I'm pretty certain it won't. Cant wait for next chapter. Keep up the good work :)

Link to comment

I think Jason needed to slow down. I think chris and trent needed to repeat their warnings to him. That's too much to do on one day. If Brad calls the espanol tutor and hears what happened. then Devyn happens to get out without his backpack which he knows is a no-no. then like brad won't check if he went to see his father easily enough? Then he goes to the police station and what...hopes Watson isn't there? He just threw away all that effort in my opinion and I don't think it would be realistic b/c of all the points above, for anything to come of this. If he were to casually find a way to schedule a meeting with the sheriff and then that man could help come up with a plan where the kid is safely out of the way when they go after Brad on their own, that would be best. He could have even sent him the proof electronically. He didn't have to go 'all in' and without a plan, or at least one that was thought through at all.

I have to be honest, that would be my beta reader comments. I would feel like if you work this out, it wouldn't feel realistic. Brad is not small time. it would have been a miracle not to have him find out about the move with the Spanish tutor. And if they went back and played it cool. Give Brad no need to worry, then find a way to meet the sheriff or at least get the info to him, it would have worked out much better. He didn't need to have the product. He's not the damn DEA. The police could do their job and I am sure the sheriff could call in someone not owned by Brad. He's trained how to deal with this. You just left your trump card at brad's mercy. You didn't want him hurt by this tutor, but you have to realize that move is going to cost him worse. He'll have the shit kicked out of him and worse, if Brad is suspicious, he's gonna not let you near the kid.

 

Ahhh I'm so frustrated now ;) hope we get more soon. You know I love ya. So I expect realistic possible actions and outcomes so the story stays feeling realistic if possible.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/18/2014 05:53 PM, Cannd said:
I think Jason needed to slow down. I think chris and trent needed to repeat their warnings to him. That's too much to do on one day. If Brad calls the espanol tutor and hears what happened. then Devyn happens to get out without his backpack which he knows is a no-no. then like brad won't check if he went to see his father easily enough? Then he goes to the police station and what...hopes Watson isn't there? He just threw away all that effort in my opinion and I don't think it would be realistic b/c of all the points above, for anything to come of this. If he were to casually find a way to schedule a meeting with the sheriff and then that man could help come up with a plan where the kid is safely out of the way when they go after Brad on their own, that would be best. He could have even sent him the proof electronically. He didn't have to go 'all in' and without a plan, or at least one that was thought through at all.

I have to be honest, that would be my beta reader comments. I would feel like if you work this out, it wouldn't feel realistic. Brad is not small time. it would have been a miracle not to have him find out about the move with the Spanish tutor. And if they went back and played it cool. Give Brad no need to worry, then find a way to meet the sheriff or at least get the info to him, it would have worked out much better. He didn't need to have the product. He's not the damn DEA. The police could do their job and I am sure the sheriff could call in someone not owned by Brad. He's trained how to deal with this. You just left your trump card at brad's mercy. You didn't want him hurt by this tutor, but you have to realize that move is going to cost him worse. He'll have the shit kicked out of him and worse, if Brad is suspicious, he's gonna not let you near the kid.

 

Ahhh I'm so frustrated now ;) hope we get more soon. You know I love ya. So I expect realistic possible actions and outcomes so the story stays feeling realistic if possible.

I know where you are coming from, and you are right (I love your insight and comments!). But Brad probably is going to be suspicious no matter what, since Jason is supposed to stay with Devyn. He's going to keep track of Jason's movements outside the house, no matter when he goes. I think, for Jason, he feels he has to move faster now because he knows what's happening at the 'tutors' and since Devyn goes to them everyday, Jason doesn't want to take Devyn back to them again. But if he continues to do what he did with Natales, it wouldn't take long for Brad to find out. I think that's why he feels he has to do it now, before it gives Brad too much time to figure out what he's doing. And he does think they are playing it cool, I think. By dropping off Devyn, I think Jason believes that Brad can't/won't believe that Devyn knows what Jason is up to--that it will keep Devyn safer (of course he's wrong, but that's besides the point).

I'm sorry you're frustrated. I hope that the end doesn't disappoint you, but I also think Jason 'moving slower' and thinking more logically makes for a less exciting ending as well. I mean, I'm sure you know by now that I'm going to torment my characters! Hope you keep reading and it isn't too unrealistic for you.

Link to comment
On 11/18/2014 06:42 AM, Morgana_lefay said:
Jason is finally trying to do something, hopefully Devyn won't pay for it too much. I wish it could go smoothly, but I'm pretty certain it won't. Cant wait for next chapter. Keep up the good work :)
Yep! Thanks for reading and reviewing!
Link to comment
On 11/18/2014 06:30 AM, Valkyrie said:
Wow...this is getting intense! I'm so glad you post so often since it makes the cliffhangers more bearable. I really fear for Devyn. This isn't going to go as smoothly as Jason thinks it will... Great job, CM. I'm enthralled!
Yes, we are now reaching the climax! And no, of course it's not going to go as well as Jason hopes; I have to torment my characters just a little longer! Thanks for the review!
Link to comment
On 11/18/2014 06:00 AM, Fantasyboy69 said:
This is finally getting to the good parts. I know it's gonna hit the fan, but I liked this chapter because for once they heroes got their way
Definitely finally reaching the climax, but yeah, it's going to get worse before it gets better! Thanks for reading and reviewing!
Link to comment

Brad and Co. are definitely going to take the missing backpack out on Devyn. Also, did they (especially Jason), even THINK that that Jorge Natales guy WASN'T going to call Brad? He was probably on the phone with Brad the second they stepped out the door. And Brad was probably biding his time, waiting for them to come back while planning his and Devyn's demise. That's why Brad wanted Devyn home - for the backpack and probably to do more verbal and physical abuse to him.

 

I have to agree with Cannd; Jason should have waiting a little bit more, maybe tried to convince Chris, Trent, and Lyle to go with him and tell the sheriff what they know. Doesn't Jason know as soon as he steps foot into the police station Watson will be on the phone with Brad? Shit, maybe Jason should have called the sheriff and arranged a meeting in another town.

 

Ok. on to the next chapter. Thank God I can read it now b/c I'm going crazy here with worry! :P

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..