Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 2,152 Words
  • 9,434 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

All In - 6. Chapter 6

Chapter 6

 

Jason was glad that Devyn seemed to want to hide away in his room today. The boy had glared at him again when he'd unlocked the door and invited him down to breakfast. He was grateful for Chris and Trent's easy banner to break up the baleful glare that the kid kept casting at him. When the boy gestured at the patio doors again this morning, Jason just lifted his brow, waiting for the boy to relent and say please, well, mouth please, anyway.

Jason was getting pretty good just in the last day at reading the kid's lips, since practically all that came out of it was some combination of curses and insults. He watched Devyn cast a look out the window at the two stable hands exercising the horses in the pasture.

For a second, Jason thought the boy was going to finally break down and ask. But when he turned, lips parted to form words, Jason crossed his arms with a smirk, just waiting for the kid to finally give in. He kinda hoped that he would because Jason thought he'd love to get another closer look at that hunky military looking guy down there as well. Instead, the boy's icy eyes hardened and a silent ^Screw you^ formed from the thin lips.

Jason had chuckled as the kid stormed back up the stairs and shut himself away in his room for the rest of the day. Jason sighed, figuring he'd have to settle for admiring the muscular body from afar.

The kid hiding out in his room made his job easier, especially when the caterers and extra help arrived to set up for the retirement party. He just had to sit outside the kid's room to make sure he didn't sneak out. A couple times, he had heard the door crack open, but it had shut with a resounding bang. Jason had assumed the boy had been pissed to find Jason still sitting guard out in the lounge area.

 

@@@@

 

Shortly before the party, Brad had disappeared into the kid's room. Jason had heard Brad's raised voice as he demanded that if Devyn planned to come out at all during the party, he was going to be dressed appropriately and behave himself. Jason assumed that the kid had responded in much the same way that he'd responded to Jason earlier, and that Brad had not appreciated the 'colorful metaphors'.

Jason had changed into a nice maroon silk shirt and black dress pants and dress shoes. He was casually lounging in his usual spot in the landing rec area outside of Devyn's door, waiting to see if the kid would come out. There was a lot of noise coming from the first floor as the caterers came in to set up and orders were issued to the hired serving staff and bartenders. Brad had come out, dressed impeccably in khakis and a crisp navy sport coat. He'd paused briefly to inform Jason that Devyn was not to come down unless he was: one, dressed appropriately, and two, promised to behave.

Jason had nodded his understanding. He was kinda figuring on the kid just staying in the room all night, out of spite. So, as guests arrived and there was no indication that Devyn was going to show his face, Jason rose to lean on the railing and watch the partygoers.

Brad was the perfect host, which didn't surprise Jason at all. The man had always been right in the middle of things when they were in high school. Jason swore the man could charm a steak away from a tiger sometimes. Probably why Jason had never realized the man had cheated at poker, the son-of-a-bitch.

The party had been going on for about two hours when Jason heard the door softly click open. The young teen was dressed in a pair of khaki slacks and a collared shirt with a pair of deck shoes. The bruise on the kid's cheek had faded considerably and was mostly hidden by the fall of his long bangs. The teen started for the stairs, trying to ignore Jason, but Jason grabbed the kid's arm as he walked by.

Devyn flinched, jerking out of his hand, and Jason was a little surprised by the look of fear that flitted across the boy's features before the residual scowl settled back into place.

"Thanks for dressing appropriately," Jason said, and he was sure it came across as somewhat sarcastic. "Now, make sure you behave. This party is important to your brother."

^He's not my fucking brother,^ Devyn snapped back, mouthing the words so clearly that Jason wondered if people below could tell what the kid had said.

"Yeah well, step-brother then. You owe it to him to behave and not cause trouble," Jason sighed.

The blonds' blue eyes narrowed. ^I owe him nothing.^

Jason quirked his eyebrow at the kid, silently asking whether he was going to behave or not.

Devyn finally sighed. ^I just want to eat, alright.^

"Okay, fine," Jason said, moving to the side to Devyn could walk by. He followed the boy down the stairs. Devyn had made it nearly to the dining room when Brad noticed the kid and swept him into his conversation, capturing him with a hand wrapped around his neck to guide him over.

"Devyn, come say hi to the deputy," Brad said, grinning at the man in front of him. "Deputy Watson, you remember Devyn, don't you?"

Devyn seemed to stiffen, casting his eyes to the ground in front of the police officer.

The officer's eyes seemed to narrow slightly. "I certainly do. Glad to see you are not causing trouble anymore, Devyn."

The blond teen was dwarfed by the men around him, and Jason had a moment of pity for the boy. The kid looked scared of the deputy. He probably was remembering all the accusations he'd made about his step-brother four years ago, and he knew the deputy was probably remembering as well. Jason wondered if this officer was one of the ones who had to deal with all of the kid's slander against Brad that his friend had talked about. It was no wonder the kid looked ashamed; he should be for trying to muddy someone's reputation like that.

Brad gave the kid a little squeeze on the neck and ruffled his hair affectionately. "He may be a bit of trouble, but nothing we can't handle."

Deputy Watson laughed, his eyes casting a smirk in Devyn's direction, "Yeah, that's true."

Jason frowned, wondering about the odd look that the officer gave Devyn before smirking at Brad, who smiled back with an odd glint in his eyes. The odd scene passed so quickly that Jason was sure he must have misread the looks. Weird, he shook his head, watching the two men grin amicably.

"Go on and get something to eat, Devyn," Brad smiled down at the teen.

Jason was slightly surprised and impressed that Devyn didn't cause any scenes like he had when Jason first met him. He guessed that the boy at least had the sense to stay out of trouble in front of so many other people. The boy ducked away quickly to the dining room, nodding back at greetings that he received on the way, and scooping up a plate and filling it quickly.

Jason leaned casually against the archway leading into the dining room, watching the teen from there. He'd seen several people offer him fond hellos as he walked by. Jason was surprised to note that the kid was quick to shrug away any hand that landed on his shoulder or patted his arm.

One man stepped up close to the boy, crowding him. The man was older, his hair graying slightly, and he seemed to laugh as Devyn stepped back, bumping into the woman behind him. When the man leaned in to talk over the noise in the room, Devyn stiffened, his eyes casting down. Jason straightened, frowning, wondering who the man was.

But then the man walked away, and Devyn quickly returned to filling his plate. Devyn was half-way down the table, when he looked up and Jason watched as he froze. He followed his gaze across the room, landing on a kid who was staring at Devyn in shock and surprise.

The kid was pretty good-looking, Jason admitted to himself. Dark haired, tall and broad-shouldered. He wondered what about this kid made Devyn so anxious. When the teen started pushing his way across the room, Jason noticed that Devyn had dropped his plate on the serving table and darted for the stairs.

"What the hell?" Jason muttered, launching himself from his serene repose to follow the blond teen up the stairs.

Halfway up the stairs, he called the boy's name, but the kid was already slamming his door shut. Jason glanced back down and noticed the dark-haired teen had emerged from the dining room and was staring up the stairs. His fists were clenched and he looked pretty angry. Jason watched the kid rake his hand through his hair, turning as he cursed under his breath.

Jason frowned as he continued up the stairs. Just who the hell was that kid?

 

@@@@

 

Devyn slammed the door behind him, collapsing back against it as his heart threatened to beat out of his chest. His knees buckled from under him as he slid down the door. His head fell into his hands as he furiously wiped at his eyes.

He couldn't stand to face Michael, not after all this time. Michael must hate him by now. It had been two weeks since Michael had asked him to meet him at the lake, and Devyn hadn't said a word to him since--not that he could have with Sam keeping him locked in the house--but Michael didn't know that, and he probably thought that Devyn had rejected him.

He sighed heavily, his head dropping back against the wall as his heart slowly tried to return to normal. Devyn closed his eyes, tears slipping down his cheeks.

He'd panicked when he'd seen Michael downstairs. Michael had looked so good all dressed up standing there with several of his friends. It seemed like the whole town was coming and going through the estate tonight.

But then Michael had looked at him. He'd seemed surprised to see him at first, but then he'd looked determined and started towards Devyn.

Devyn knew he couldn't talk to Michael then, at the party, where his step-brother might see them. Brad would wonder just how well Michael knew Devyn, and Devyn couldn't risk Brad finding out and hurting Michael for it. So he'd fled. Like a coward, he'd retreated to his room to hide.

There was a knock on the door, and Devyn stiffened. "Devyn, are you okay?"

He breathed a sigh of relief when he realized it was just his bodyguard. He grabbed a piece of paper from the dresser next to him and scribbled "I'm fine, go away" on it before slipping it under the door.

He heard the rustle as the paper was picked up. "Okay, then," he heard the deep voice call back. Then he heard the man mumble under his breath. "Keep your grumpy ass in there."

And Devyn slumped over, hugging his knees. He didn't care what one of Brad's minions thought of him anyway, so screw him. The only people he cared about were his grandmother and Michael.

Nana, who was across the country in her long term care hospice, probably didn't even remember who he was anymore. He'd only even seen her twice since living here. It was so hard when he'd desperately needed someone to reach out to, only to have her ask him his name again. They hadn't been close before his mother was killed, but he had hoped to find some spark of love, of concern, in her face the one time Brad had taken him to see her. But it was like he was a stranger to her, and his hopes of finding what he desperately needed died as he'd left her room. He suspected that Brad knew that somehow--that it was the only reason the bastard had agreed to take him there to visit. He hadn't asked to go again. He still cared for her (and Brad knew it), but he couldn't stand to see the blank look on her face again.

He'd needed more.

And he thought, for a brief time, that he had found it in Michael. For the first time in years, he'd finally felt a spark of hope, of love. But Michael probably hated him now. Not that Michael could ever love him, if he knew what he'd done, what he'd been made to do.

So why should he give a shit what some asshole friend of Brad's thought of him?

Copyright © 2014 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 1
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Good job with the story, I really like it. I can't wait to see what happens when Jason finds out what's really happening. And also what happened with Michael. Thanks for the frequent updates :)

Link to comment

Getting clues of not the nicest things that have been done to devyn. Brad is definitely not the upstanding person, but then money talks. Can't wait for more

Link to comment

I was puzzled by Devyn been sent to so many "tutors". It seemed unlikely Brad would care about his education. It sounds now that he is been used as a rent boy to these tutors & the police chief. Knowing Brad it would not be for money but for favours as he wouldn't need that amount of money. Brad clearly killed his own father & Devyn's mother to access the fortune.

I'm not certain why he is keeping Devyn alive but most likely to control Devyn's inheritance from his mother.

Jason is still indebted so much to Brad he is missing all the clues.

Link to comment

I would think it would be obvious to anyone watching Devyn and his body language (casting his head down, flinching every time someone touches him), that he's being physically abused. Now it seems with the weird behavior of the deputy, Brad, and that older guy, that something is going on and it's not good.

 

Jason of course, only knows what Brad chooses to tell him, and he can see for himself how insolent Devyn is. Jason just doesn't know why. If he pays close attention to Devyn and how the others are with him, he might be able to figure some of it out.

 

My heart is breaking for Devyn, I just want to take him away from all of that hatred and abuse. I bet if he was in a loving home he would be talking, throat problems or no throat problems. I need to reread that part about his throat; did Brad have something to do with that? I wouldn't put it past him now that I know more about how abusive he really is.

 

Great chapter, Mom! :)

Link to comment

I love the story, even if it makes my heart ache for Devyn with every chapter that I read. I want to smack Jason for not seeing what is, to me at least, the obvious. The poor kid flinches anytime someone moves to touch him and is afraid of men bigger than him. I could not imagine the desolation of knowing that no one believes you and having no way to get away from the abuse, especially at such a young age. I hope we get to see Devyn enjoy even a little happiness soon.

Link to comment

Enjoying the story--and interesting to watch as Jason starts putting together clues to Devyn's behavior; since Jason may not have been around victims of abuse before, I think he simply hasn't put the pieces together. And I'm thinking the reason for the multiple tutors is another form of isolation for Devyn, since no one is allowed to get close to him and maybe discover some of his secrets. I think when Jason and Devyn do finally bond, everything will snap into focus.

Good job of keeping the interest high and the story moving!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I have to wonder why Brad is going to all this bother with Devyn. Why he doesn't just do away with him altogether. Given the sherrif is in his pocket I'm sure he could get away with it. What with the the danger of him getting out and telling his story to someone I would have thought that would be a lot easier. So...it definitely seems as If Brad has other uses for him. Can't wait to find out what they are.

Link to comment
On 11/04/2014 11:17 PM, Nephylim said:
I have to wonder why Brad is going to all this bother with Devyn. Why he doesn't just do away with him altogether. Given the sherrif is in his pocket I'm sure he could get away with it. What with the the danger of him getting out and telling his story to someone I would have thought that would be a lot easier. So...it definitely seems as If Brad has other uses for him. Can't wait to find out what they are.
Yep, he does...And I think, at this point, having contained and controlled Devyn for four years now, he probably feels like he can continue to do so for a bit longer.
Link to comment
On 11/04/2014 11:10 PM, Robert Rex said:
Enjoying the story--and interesting to watch as Jason starts putting together clues to Devyn's behavior; since Jason may not have been around victims of abuse before, I think he simply hasn't put the pieces together. And I'm thinking the reason for the multiple tutors is another form of isolation for Devyn, since no one is allowed to get close to him and maybe discover some of his secrets. I think when Jason and Devyn do finally bond, everything will snap into focus.

Good job of keeping the interest high and the story moving!

Yeah, Jason still very much believes in his friend, so he's a bit ignorant about what's happening to Devyn. I'm glad it's keeping you hooked! Hope you continue to enjoy it!
Link to comment
On 11/03/2014 10:44 AM, Morgana_lefay said:
Good job with the story, I really like it. I can't wait to see what happens when Jason finds out what's really happening. And also what happened with Michael. Thanks for the frequent updates :)
You'll meet Michael soon--think in chapter 8! Glad you are enjoying it!
Link to comment
On 11/03/2014 12:09 PM, Quiet man said:
Getting clues of not the nicest things that have been done to devyn. Brad is definitely not the upstanding person, but then money talks. Can't wait for more
Brad is definitely not who Jason thinks he is right now. Hope you continue to enjoy!
Link to comment
On 11/03/2014 12:46 PM, seanthomas said:
I was puzzled by Devyn been sent to so many "tutors". It seemed unlikely Brad would care about his education. It sounds now that he is been used as a rent boy to these tutors & the police chief. Knowing Brad it would not be for money but for favours as he wouldn't need that amount of money. Brad clearly killed his own father & Devyn's mother to access the fortune.

I'm not certain why he is keeping Devyn alive but most likely to control Devyn's inheritance from his mother.

Jason is still indebted so much to Brad he is missing all the clues.

Yes, there is a reason he has so many 'tutors' ;)

And you're right Brad doesn't care about Devyn's education, and Jason is still so enthralled with Brad's help that he's not willing to believe Brad would be doing anything wrong... yet.

Link to comment
On 11/03/2014 01:32 PM, Lisa said:
I would think it would be obvious to anyone watching Devyn and his body language (casting his head down, flinching every time someone touches him), that he's being physically abused. Now it seems with the weird behavior of the deputy, Brad, and that older guy, that something is going on and it's not good.

 

Jason of course, only knows what Brad chooses to tell him, and he can see for himself how insolent Devyn is. Jason just doesn't know why. If he pays close attention to Devyn and how the others are with him, he might be able to figure some of it out.

 

My heart is breaking for Devyn, I just want to take him away from all of that hatred and abuse. I bet if he was in a loving home he would be talking, throat problems or no throat problems. I need to reread that part about his throat; did Brad have something to do with that? I wouldn't put it past him now that I know more about how abusive he really is.

 

Great chapter, Mom! :)

Yes, Jason is still clueless, still willing to believe the best of his friend since he was his financial savior...if you re-read that part about his throat you'll find it deliberately vague...;)

Thanks for reading and reviewing!

Link to comment
On 11/04/2014 02:27 AM, LitLover said:
I love the story, even if it makes my heart ache for Devyn with every chapter that I read. I want to smack Jason for not seeing what is, to me at least, the obvious. The poor kid flinches anytime someone moves to touch him and is afraid of men bigger than him. I could not imagine the desolation of knowing that no one believes you and having no way to get away from the abuse, especially at such a young age. I hope we get to see Devyn enjoy even a little happiness soon.
Yes, I suspect many readers just want to slap Jason right now. And then there's Chris & Trent who've been turning a blind eye for years. I think you'll like some of the upcoming chapters with Michael...
Link to comment

So, deep down, Devyn is beginning to give Jason a little thought. The ending of this chapter revealed that. On the other hand, I knew Devyn wouldn't put Michael in danger. I'm just hoping Jason is smart enough to put two and two together and keep it to himself until he and Devyn form some sort of relationship, whatever kind that might be.

Michael seems determined , but I hope he doesn't put himself jeopardy.

Link to comment

These should have been some of the best years of Devyn's young life...I have a good idea of what is going on now and it is very disturbing to get through. I know that Jason will clue in eventually but it is hard waiting for that to happen...Cheers...Gary

Link to comment

The mark of great suspense writing, to me, is the possibilities the author can lay before you, some leading, some misleading, some just false.  Curve balls and twists happening to characters crafted for empathy, sympathy, angst or just plane ole' anger.  Lead me to have confidence in what direction it's all moving and then revealing something else that makes me doubt my assumptions. Sprinkling in the facts rather than just pouring them on in a rush like an action thriller.  You, my dear, have us all jumping at shadows and on facts, and that's what makes you good.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..