Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 1,841 Words
  • 7,404 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

All In - 14. Chapter 14

And the moment you've been waiting for....

Chapter 14

 

Jason was sitting on the sectional in the lounge area where he could still see into Devyn's room, in case the kid did wake up. He hadn't turned on the TV so that he could hear anything should the boy move at all. Of course, so far, the kid hadn't so much as rolled over. Once, Jason had felt paranoid enough by the kid's stillness that he actually checked the boy for a pulse. He felt slightly silly when he found one--like the doctor would overdose the kid, yeah, right.

He was mildly surprised when the doorbell rang close to seven. The sun was just setting over the mountains casting a rosy glow through the balcony windows and onto the foyer below.

He heard the door open, and Trent's surprised voice.

"Sheriff Marlin!" Trent's voice betrayed his shock at seeing the law enforcement officers at the door. He managed to regain control of his composure. "Deputy Watson," he greeted the men. "What can I do for you?"

Curious, Jason rose and walked to the railing, watching over the landing. Neither officer held a defensive stance, so Jason relaxed his shoulders, figuring that the men weren't here looking for trouble.

"Just needed to talk to Mr. Milburn," Sheriff Marlin said easily, a small smile on his face.

"I'll get him," Trent said casually. "Is there a problem?"

"No, problem," the deputy said, "just checking up on Devyn."

"Devyn?" Trent frowned. "Has he done something wrong?"

The sheriff seemed to give his fellow officer a piercing gaze for a minute. "No. Nothing like that."

"He hasn't made any more of those--"

Deputy Watson laughed. "No, I told Sheriff Marlin here about Devyn's past history. He wasn't here when all that was going on and the boy was causing his brother so much trouble."

The sheriff seemed to shift uncomfortably. "Yes, I understand the boy has a history."

"He's been pretty good lately," Trent defended.

"Yeah, we know," Deputy Watson stated.

"Could you please let Mr. Milburn know we are here?" Sheriff Marlin interrupted.

"Okay," Trent said, obviously curious about the officers' appearance, but it wasn't like the police hadn't come here before.

Jason straightened as he watched Trent head towards the study.

"I'm telling you, Kyle," the deputy was saying as soon as Trent was gone, "there's nothing going on here. Brad's a good guy, he would have reported it if--"

"Hello, officers," Brad breezed into the foyer. The man oozed calm and confidence. He reached to shake each man's hand with a firm grip. Jason saw Sam and Nelson hovering off to the side. "What can I do for you?"

Sheriff Kyle Marlin straightened, his hands resting on his belt casually. "We received a call earlier from a concerned citizen suggesting that Devyn Kennedy had been hurt, possibly assaulted."

Jason's eyes widened in shock, as did Brad's and everyone else's.

"Really?" Brad gasped in surprise. "I assure you that is not the case."

"Well, we are just checking up on him, seeing what might have happened," the sheriff stated.

"Of course, of course," Brad smiled easily. "Devyn apparently had an accident earlier. He told me he tripped over a rug and fell into the edge of the coffee table. Got some bad bruising on his ribs."

"I see," Sheriff Marlin nodded, casting a glance at his deputy to be sure he was taking notes. "And where did it happen? Here?"

"No, he was out; at his tutor's house."

"And that would be...?"

Brad smiled and shook his head. "I'm not sure right now which one it was. He has tutors everyday almost. I can look at his schedule and give the deputy here the information," Brad said, looking over at the younger officer with a sincere nod.

The deputy nodded back, making notes in his small notebook. "I'll be sure to get that information from you."

The sheriff cast his deputy a look that said 'and make sure you go ask them what happened'. Jason had to smile at the silent conversation that seemed to go on between the officers. The deputy smiled and nodded back.

"So it was just a misunderstanding," Deputy Watson concluded.

Brad smiled. "Of course. I'm sure anyone who saw the bruise would be concerned. It was pretty ugly. I'm surprised that Devyn even showed it to anyone," Brad said, and Jason couldn't miss the odd tone in his boss's voice, but was sure no one else noticed it. "Devyn actually didn't even tell me about it. His bodyguard had to tell me."

The sheriff's brow raised.

"I suspect that Devyn didn't want to tell anyone. You know how kids are, getting embarrassed over every little thing."

The deputy laughed. "Ain't that right."

Brad smiled pleasantly, his hands gesturing wide toward the door, "I'm so sorry that you both had to waste your time for something so silly."

"It's our job," Sheriff Marlin stated, planting his feet, even as his deputy moved to the door. "But, if you don't mind, I'd like to actually talk to Devyn."

"Oh, of course, of course, how silly of me," Brad laughed. "It's just that Devyn is sleeping right now. Dr. Hembry gave him some pain pills after he came by to check on him. The meds kinda knocked him out."

The sheriff's face seemed to lighten at the mention that Brad had sought medical attention for the kid.

"But you can check on him if you'd like," Brad offered, waving towards the stairs. "He's just upstairs."

Brad was rewarded with smiles from the officers at the gesture to see the kid for themselves. Jason could tell that while the deputy seemed inclined to just leave, the sheriff wasn't. The officers followed Brad up the stairs, where Jason was leaning against the rail near Devyn's door.

Brad grinned at Jason as he turned to the officers. "This is Jason Yates. He's Devyn's bodyguard."

Jason nodded politely at both men as they followed Brad into the stark room of the teen. Jason moved into the doorway behind the men. Devyn was still curled in on his side. Brad leaned over and gently brushed back loose strands of blond hair. He pressed a soft kiss to the kid's temple as he fondly stroked a soothing hand over the boy's head.

"Unfortunately, as you can see, he's still sleeping," Brad said, casting a soft look at the sleeping teen.

Jason almost frowned at the unusual display of affection.

"And you were with the kid when he fell?" Jason was startled to realize the voice of the sheriff was addressing him.

"Yeah," he said automatically, but then quickly amended. "Well, no not really."

The sheriff frowned at him.

"I wasn't actually in the room," Jason amended. "I usually leave and come back after the sessions are over."

"And Devyn didn't say anything then?"

"Nope," Jason said. "He moved a little stiffly, but didn't say anything."

"And you didn't think it odd?"

Jason bristled at the implication that he should have immediately known something was wrong. "What? That the kid didn't talk to me? You know the kid is mute, right? He's a teen. He hardly talks to anybody."

Brad and the deputy stifled a chuckle as the sheriff and him stared at each other. It was the sheriff who finally broke the staring match.

"But you heard him say that he just fell?"

"Yeah, into a coffee table," Jason said. "When Brad asked him what happened."

"I'll check back in tomorrow, boss," Officer Watson chirped up. "Just to get the kid's statement too."

The sheriff looked like he was going to say more, but finally the man cast one last look at the sleeping teen and nodded. "Thank you, gentlemen. Sorry to have disturbed your evening. I hope Devyn feels better soon."

Jason watched Brad and the deputy follow Sheriff Marlin back downstairs. Obviously, the man had decided that what he'd seen and heard had to be enough as there was little else he could do at the moment. Brad showed the officers to the door, carefully closing it behind them.

"Shit," he heard Brad breathe in the silence of the house as he stalked back toward the study. Sam and Nelson were standing there stiffly waiting for him.

"That was fucking close," Sam rumbled.

"It'll be fine," Brad said, tensely. "Watson will take care of it. Make sure it gets appropriately buried."

"Technically, this wasn't Devyn's fault," Nelson stated calmly.

Jason froze next to Devyn's doorway, unwilling to draw his boss's attention by moving to the railing.

"No, it's that damn kid I let work at the stables," Brad muttered. "Should have fucking known better."

Jason heard a door slam and then it was quiet.

He stared over the railing for a long time, staring at the empty space that his friend had been standing in just a few minutes ago. He could feel dread seeping into his heart as he tried to process what he'd heard.

"Fuck, Brad," he cursed under his breath, "what the hell is going on here?"

Jason found himself lying awake most of the night, images and parts of conversations playing over and over in his mind, trying to make any sense of what he'd heard and seen in the week since he'd been here. Earlier, he'd thought Brad was back into dealing drugs--Chris had implied as much when he'd asked. But he'd also said something about Devyn--about the deuce never winning against a full house. What the hell did the man mean by that?

As pieces of conversations with Lyle, and Chris and Trent started to surface again and began falling into place in an alarming pattern, holes were suddenly forming in things that Brad had told him; things that now didn't seem quite so clear-cut as Brad had once made him believe.

He tossed and turned all night, awaking once in a cold sweat when he'd imagined Sam hitting Devyn again--and not stopping. Suddenly, it didn't seem as much as self-defense or punishment as it had that first day. Fuck, it felt like abuse. And Brad was letting it happen.

The deuce. He jolted up. The deuce would never win against the full house, Chris had said. Devyn would never win against Brad. Brad had stacked the deck with those loyal to only him, but just how loyal were we talking? Loyal enough to ignore a kid getting physically abused, repeatedly?

Fuck! He'd ignored it the first day he was here. No, no, no, he shook his head as he rushed to the bathroom, vomiting up his last meal.

This couldn't be right. Brad wouldn't--

Would he?

As Jason splashed cold water on his face, it felt like he was waking up for the first time since he'd gotten here.

Jeez, he thought suddenly back to the Deputy's comments about Devyn. Could Devyn have been telling the truth the whole time years ago? And nobody ever did anything about it? Could something be going on now?

And he was letting it happen....

And.... Jason finally has a moment of clarity!
Thanks for reading! We still have much more to go as Jason works through his ah-ha moment (he hasn't figured everything out yet) and tries to figure out what to do without making things worse for everyone...
Copyright © 2014 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 48
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Intense chapter! And, interesting that the sheriff is now interested in all the goings on. Change of heart?

Well done!

Link to comment
On 11/12/2014 05:34 AM, Robert Rex said:
Intense chapter! And, interesting that the sheriff is now interested in all the goings on. Change of heart?

Well done!

Thank you! Yes, the sheriff has suspicions, but it's the Deputy whose been there from the beginning who Brad has in his pocket and keeps things under wraps for Brad--and still is (unbeknownst to the sheriff who hasn't been there as long).

Hope you continue to enjoy! Thanks for reviewing!

Link to comment

And Jason finally figured it out… hope the sheriff will too. If I found out, I would just go and shoot Brad in the head just to help Devyn get rid of him even if I had to go to prison.

Now I wonder how it will all turn out. Cant wait for next chapter

Link to comment

Enjoying the story (not what brad and his cronies are doing, of course). Nice pacing. Want to know such more fast, but thankful for the frequent postings

Link to comment

Your writing is amazing! Your ability to keep us on the edge of our seats, to keep us riveted to the screen, to keep us checking two to three times a day for updates, to get us so involved in each and every one of your characters, is simply something beyond enjoyable!! Thank you for sharing your time and your fabulous talent with us!!! We are all forever fans! :worship:

Link to comment
On 11/12/2014 07:15 AM, Onim said:
Your writing is amazing! Your ability to keep us on the edge of our seats, to keep us riveted to the screen, to keep us checking two to three times a day for updates, to get us so involved in each and every one of your characters, is simply something beyond enjoyable!! Thank you for sharing your time and your fabulous talent with us!!! We are all forever fans! :worship:
Oh my goodness, thank you so much! It makes me so happy that my writing can do that. It's very inspiring to read such a wonderful comment (as with all the comments here so far!) and certainly makes me want to write more!
Link to comment
On 11/12/2014 06:54 AM, Quiet man said:
Enjoying the story (not what brad and his cronies are doing, of course). Nice pacing. Want to know such more fast, but thankful for the frequent postings
I'm so glad you like it and you're welcome for the quick posts. I'd probably post faster, but the rules are that I should only post once a day (no more than 7 chapters a week), but at least you aren't waiting a week for each chapter either!
Link to comment
On 11/12/2014 06:17 AM, Morgana_lefay said:
And Jason finally figured it out… hope the sheriff will too. If I found out, I would just go and shoot Brad in the head just to help Devyn get rid of him even if I had to go to prison.

Now I wonder how it will all turn out. Cant wait for next chapter

Hehe, yeah, Jason's finally wised up--a little bit. Still doesn't realize about what the 'tutors' are really up to yet though. I think some will still be yelling at Jason to get a move on here in the next few chapters. :)

Thanks for reviewing!

Link to comment

I'm glad to see that someone who is not under Brad's payroll is getting involved. Jason is finally getting it and when the shit hits the fan I hope that Chris, Trent and Lyle are not involved in the drug and abuse, I like them. I hope the next chapter can come soon. I following to make sure I get to see it.

Link to comment

All I can say is thank God Jason is finally seeing some light and thank God there's a new sheriff in town!! lol

 

I hope when the deputy tries to sweep this under the rug the sheriff pushes for more answers. Maybe the sheriff will insist on accompanying the deputy back to Brad's.

 

I also hope that if Jason needs help in bringing Brad down, that Lyle, Trent, and Chris will back him up.

 

Oh! But my biggest hope now is that Brad doesn't go all Kieran on Michael and do something to him or his family.

Link to comment

Brad has murdered his father,Devyn's mother, rapes & assaults Devyn, put Kieran into a coma. Sells drugs & sells Devyn as a rentboy for customers to do what they like and all this to his step brother from the age of 12.

Brad is beyond evil. He is a monster. Jason needs to understand this quickly or he will be dead as well. I' m very worried also about Michael.

Thanks for the story. It has me totally on edge.

Link to comment

And now the real danger begins...people will die if Jason is not careful...as in Michael, Devyn and himself....at least there is a sheriff that Brad doesn't control...Jason, being a decent person must be going through hell to realize the enormity of the situation and that fact that he has been clueless...

Link to comment

I saw your name in a thread on another website and picked this up to read. I just want you to know, you're killing me, here. I have grown completely attached to Devyn - I can see him in my minds eye and, even with many chapters to go, I wish someone would put a stop to it. I want to reach into the pages and put a stop to it myself.

Link to comment
On 01/06/2015 01:34 AM, Dabeagle said:
I saw your name in a thread on another website and picked this up to read. I just want you to know, you're killing me, here. I have grown completely attached to Devyn - I can see him in my minds eye and, even with many chapters to go, I wish someone would put a stop to it. I want to reach into the pages and put a stop to it myself.
I know it's a hard read. It's hard to write too (I have to keep a box of tissue next to the computer!) I guess I feel the need to 'tell their story' even if it is fiction because I know from so much of the news and stuff, that things like this happen (maybe not to this extreme but still). My focus is on the characters and what they are feeling and thinking, and hopefully finding the hope and will to survive. I've had many other want to do the same thing--to kill Brad in many creative ways or take Devyn in themselves. If you can connect to Devyn in such a way, then I feel like I've done my job as a writer. Thank you for reading and reviewing.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..