Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 1,732 Words
  • 7,651 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

All In - 23. Chapter 23

Chapter 23

 

Jason's hand shook as he pulled out his phone. The officers had left fifteen minutes ago. Sheriff Marlin had instructed him to wait fifteen minutes before calling Brad and heading back to the estate to give the officers time to get in place like some low-end SWAT team. They were going to attempt sneaking up to the place, hoping that Jason would distract him enough when he arrived at the house for them to make the dash to the house unseen by the outside cameras that Jason was sure he'd seen.

Jason felt like the button wire he was wearing was ridiculously conspicuous, but in reality it was rather innocuous. The wire would alert the officers of when he'd arrived and had managed to sufficiently distract his boss and, hopefully, Sam from any monitors that might be in the house, probably in the study. They wanted to be sure Brad was in house as well as confirm that Devyn was safely out of harm's way, if possible, before entering the house.

He took a calming breath before he pressed the call button.

"Jason." Brad's voice sounded tight and controlled.

Shit. That didn't sound good, Jason thought.

"Hey, Brad, just wanted to let you know, I got your messages about the backpack. Sorry, didn't know Devyn had left it here, and I was on the phone with my friend James when you called."

"I see." Again, Brad sounded like he didn't quite believe him. "So, did you visit your dad?"

Jason's heart stopped for a moment, knowing that Brad was testing his lie. "No, actually. I went to the police station," he admitted.

"Really?" Brad's tone changed ever so slightly at his admission. "Why?"

"Well, I'd noticed he had bed sores the last couple times I've visited, so I wanted to report it to the police," Jason began. "Do you know how gross those can get? One of them on his ass was oozing--"

"Okay," Brad interrupted, and Jason smiled to himself. He had hoped that over-sharing would work in his favor. "Where are you now?"

"Oh, well, I'm turning on to Kendle Drive now, so I'm about maybe five more minutes away," Jason said easily, finding himself calming with the ease that the lies were flowing.

"Good, we'll see you then."

He shut off the phone and clutched the steering wheel. Sooner than he was really mentally prepared, he was pulling into the circular drive for the second time that day. He tried not to peer across the landscape searching for hints of the police staging their assault on the house.

He made sure to pull his car in front of the garage, blocking the exit of any cars like the sheriff had suggested. If anyone tried to run for a vehicle, Jason's Explorer would be in the way.

Jason grabbed the backpack from the passenger seat and jumped out of the car. He slung it over his shoulder casually, trying to forget that it had a couple thousand dollars in it, that he wasn't supposed to know about.

Sam yanked open the door as he reached it.

"Hey, Sam!" Jason smiled as he greeted the hulk, announcing his presence in the foyer. He tried to keep his eyes from trailing to the gun in the man's holster. "How's it going?"

"Where's the backpack?" Brad demanded as he came into the foyer.

Good, both men were here, out of the study. Hopefully, the police could move in without detection now.

"Sheesh, here," Jason scoffed as he tossed the backpack to the man. "You'd think the kid was anxious to do homework or something."

Ignoring him, Brad yanked open the pack, immediately finding the zipper of the small pocket inside.

"You okay, man?" Jason asked at the anxious look on Brad's face.

Brad Milburn's stance relaxed considerably when he noticed the money in the pocket of the backpack. He nodded to Sam, who took a step back away from Jason.

"Yes," Brad finally smiled slightly. "So you went to the police about your father, you said?"

"Yeah," Jason sighed as if he were weary already. "But they said they can't do much yet. They said it's hard to prove negligence like that, since there are so many people in and out and all that." He felt like he was rambling, but apparently Brad didn't seem to care too much.

"I'm sorry about that," Brad said absently. "We can have him moved to another facility."

Nelson Rainier appeared, and Brad passed the bag over to him silently.

"So," Jason asked casually, "are you, Nelson, and Sam working in the office still?" He hoped this would let the police know who was in the house.

"Yeah, I've got some contracts to go over," Brad said, as Nelson disappeared down the hall, and Jason just hoped he wasn't looking at any camera monitors; odds were, they didn't pay much attention to them since Brad seemed so confident in his domain.

Jason cast his eye down the hall toward the empty kitchen. "Where's Chris and Trent?"

Brad's eyes flicked to Sam, looking as if he'd suddenly remembered something. "Oh, Sam, you can let them in now."

Jason's brow furrowed. "What do you mean?"

He followed the hulk towards the kitchen as the man unlocked the garage door. Jason's eyes took in the mess of apples on the kitchen floor.

"What the hell happened in here?" Jason asked, but then froze. "Is that... blood?"

"Oh, shit," he heard Lyle gasp behind him, and he turned to see Trent looking pale.

Jason turned in surprise at seeing the stablehand, momentarily distracted. Then his eyes turned, searching for Chris, raking over Chris quickly, expecting to see some cut or something to explain the blood. "Did you--?"

"No, no," Brad was strolling into the kitchen. "It wasn't Chris. It was Devyn."

Jason's heart stopped. "Devyn..."

"He fell," Brad said simply, waving his hand at Chris and Trent, indicating for them to clean up the mess on the kitchen floor, while Sam handed them back their keys that had kept them locked out of the house during Brad's tirade.

"He fell?" Jason snapped. "He FELL? What again?"

Jason looked anxiously around the great room, almost expecting to see Devyn sprawled on the couches or on the floor somewhere.

Brad just shrugged, as he eyed Jason's reddening face.

"Where is he?" Jason demanded.

"Probably in his room," Brad said, pursing his lips.

Jason started to dart for the foyer, but Brad blocked his way, placing his hands on the counters to each side of him. He felt Sam's presence looming behind him.

"Maybe," Brad started slowly, his voice taking on a deadly tone, "maybe, if you had been here, instead of talking to the police, he wouldn't have fallen."

Jason stiffened. He knew that Brad now didn't trust him, even though he'd brought the bookbag back with the money. And he prayed for the police to rush in any second. How much longer would it take for them to be in fucking place?

"What did you do, Brad?" Jason asked tightly. "What happened to Devyn? If you hurt--"

Brad laughed suddenly and it seemed high-pitched and maniacal. "And what would you be able to do about it if I had?"

"Brad, please, let me--"

"Look around you, Jace. I have a full house here. I always have, always will," Brad grinned. "You're drawing dead."

Jason stared at the man in horror, but Brad just continued to laugh as he stepped back, turning towards the foyer. "What did you expect to happen going head-to-head with me? Get him out of here, Sam."

Jason felt a hand on his arm briefly, before it was yanked away. He gasped in surprised at the heavy thud behind him. Both he and Brad whipped around in shock, barely registering Lyle's arm around Sam's neck, Trent kicking his feet out from under him, and Chris grabbing the hand reaching for the gun.

"What--?!" Brad gasped, but the sound of the piercing alarm as doors crashed open and windows shattered cut him off.

"Police! Freeze!" voices yelled, seemingly from all directions.

Brad's face darkened, turning a furious shade of red as he turned to dart toward the front door but was stopped suddenly by three officers in the hallway.

"Stop! Don't move!" an officer's voice came from across the foyer, and Jason heard Nelson's cursing from the other side of the stairs.

Jason put his hands up, making sure the officers didn't mistake him for a suspect, as he glanced back to see Chris, Lyle and Trent doing the same. Chris was holding Sam's gun by the handle with two fingers, offering it to the nearest officer.

Sam took that moment to try to barrel past the men who'd stormed through the garage door but was promptly tackled and handcuffed.

Sheriff Marlin was stalking in, issuing orders as he watched with a smile as Brad Milburn was handcuffed.

Jason noticed that the officers were pushing his three saviors up against the counter, patting them down for weapons. "Sheriff! They're with me!"

Marlin nodded over to the officers, who released the three men. Jason noticed a trickle of blood dripping from Trent's lip and wondered briefly who had hit him.

"Chris. Trent. Lyle." Brad locked gazes with his former employees who had gathered behind Jason. "Jason. You guys are so dead. You hear me!"

"Let's go, Milburn," the officer, Gentry Jason thought his name was, shoved the man towards the door. "You have the right to remain silent--"

"Dead!"

"Which you are obviously not using," Gentry muttered, as he continued. "You have the right to an attorney--"

"Hey, Brad!" Jason called, finally letting himself smile as he realized that it was over, that Brad had lost. Gentry paused to let Brad turn to his voice. He thumbed over his shoulder at the three men standing with him. "Four of a kind beats a full house any day."

He heard the chuckles of officers around him as Brad sneered back.

"Hey, Marlin, there's blood on the steps here. I'm going--"

"Oh, shit! Devyn!" Jason darted forward, skidding around the banister. Two officers were already on the steps as he raced up behind them. When the officers paused at the top, deciding which way to go, Jason shoved past them to Devyn's door.

It was locked.

Copyright © 2014 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 47
  • Love 1
  • Wow 4
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 11/21/2014 04:30 AM, Llina said:
Hope Brad and his cohorts freaking rot in Hell! lol great story.
Hehe, glad you are enjoying it! Thanks for the review.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Gah! What a cliffhanger! I hope Devyn didn't hurt himself or if he did, that they get there in time. Great action-packed chapter!

Link to comment

Yay for the cavalry. So, the knife was meant for Devyn not Brad. Let's hope he hesitated long enough for rescue to get to him in time. What a cliffie!

Link to comment

Heart racing chapter...FINALLY...'what goes up, must come down'!! Brad has created and climbed over death to hopefully reach his own!! Fabulous update...which is the norm for you!! :2thumbs:

Link to comment

Omg, Mom! Shit, did those three buffoons throw Devyn in his room? Did he slit his wrists? Omg, I'm on pins and needles here...

Link to comment

Jason has proved he is a really good guy. He is going to blame himself for Devyn's injuries & unfortunately he is to blame. It was a massive gamble with Devyn's life leaving him there. He should never have brought him back.

Link to comment

LOVED IT!!! ah...pulse pounding and funny at the end. I loved his 4 of a kind comment...perfect.

I'm surprised to see people thinking Devyn could have hurt himself. I don't think he would have. I think he was hoping he could do something to Brad. The poor kid would have been unable to even if he had a gun I think. Brad had his strength and his muscle. He might be okay. He was bleeding without the paring knife. I don't know if brad would have hurt him further until he got the cash in hand. One thing I really want to know is if he thought he could get out of it before Jason showed...What turned his opinion of Jason? Was it his concern for Devyn in that moment or his veiled threat over hurting him? He seemed to believe for a moment that Jason was not at the police for him....

I'm glad he let the guys in..and that for once Lyle wasn't missing the action. they may have saved Jason. I like how Brad sounded mad at the end. Did he think the other men would now allow for murder and keep mouths shut still? I guess so. And maybe they would have. if you could watch a child be hurt to save your own ass, what would break you? I wish I knew if Chris and Trent would ever have gotten to a point where enough was enough without Jason?

Well, here's praying Dev is okay and believed in Jason and in hope and lels hope a nice ending for him comes in the form of two guys who really care about each other raising him! Will Michael have seen the lights and be there when Dev comes out.

One thing I know is that you will give us a satisfying ending. You are really talented and I hope start getting your stuff published.

officer Gentry hasn't said much, but he has my attention for some reason. maybe a story for him?

Link to comment

Really great writing...terrific chapter although I really wanted to see Brad get badly hurt...of course he may end up someone's bitch in prison. Way to leave us hanging....cheers...Gary

Link to comment

Oh mu god! Devyn better be ok! Urgh. The cliffhanger. Can't wait to read the next chapter!

 

 

Btw, I still can't follow stories and I haven't receive any message from Cia but I checked my profile and saw that she was on the visitor list. I'll message her instead. Thank you for helping me by the way. :)

Link to comment
On 11/21/2014 08:06 PM, loveseeker said:
Oh mu god! Devyn better be ok! Urgh. The cliffhanger. Can't wait to read the next chapter!

 

 

Btw, I still can't follow stories and I haven't receive any message from Cia but I checked my profile and saw that she was on the visitor list. I'll message her instead. Thank you for helping me by the way. :)

Thank you!

Sorry the follow thing isn't working yet--that's weird. I would definitely contact her. Good luck.

Link to comment
On 11/21/2014 06:29 PM, Headstall said:
Really great writing...terrific chapter although I really wanted to see Brad get badly hurt...of course he may end up someone's bitch in prison. Way to leave us hanging....cheers...Gary
I know, that was mean, hehe. I'm glad you enjoyed it so far. Thanks so much for the reviews!!!
Link to comment
On 11/21/2014 04:00 PM, Cannd said:
LOVED IT!!! ah...pulse pounding and funny at the end. I loved his 4 of a kind comment...perfect.

I'm surprised to see people thinking Devyn could have hurt himself. I don't think he would have. I think he was hoping he could do something to Brad. The poor kid would have been unable to even if he had a gun I think. Brad had his strength and his muscle. He might be okay. He was bleeding without the paring knife. I don't know if brad would have hurt him further until he got the cash in hand. One thing I really want to know is if he thought he could get out of it before Jason showed...What turned his opinion of Jason? Was it his concern for Devyn in that moment or his veiled threat over hurting him? He seemed to believe for a moment that Jason was not at the police for him....

I'm glad he let the guys in..and that for once Lyle wasn't missing the action. they may have saved Jason. I like how Brad sounded mad at the end. Did he think the other men would now allow for murder and keep mouths shut still? I guess so. And maybe they would have. if you could watch a child be hurt to save your own ass, what would break you? I wish I knew if Chris and Trent would ever have gotten to a point where enough was enough without Jason?

Well, here's praying Dev is okay and believed in Jason and in hope and lels hope a nice ending for him comes in the form of two guys who really care about each other raising him! Will Michael have seen the lights and be there when Dev comes out.

One thing I know is that you will give us a satisfying ending. You are really talented and I hope start getting your stuff published.

officer Gentry hasn't said much, but he has my attention for some reason. maybe a story for him?

Thank you so very much! I am considering publishing the Neko story. And right now I'm using some of the writing prompts to help get me back into the 'neko universe' so I can get back into that mindset to write the sequel. I hope you enjoy the rest only a few chapters left!
Link to comment
On 11/21/2014 02:23 PM, seanthomas said:
Jason has proved he is a really good guy. He is going to blame himself for Devyn's injuries & unfortunately he is to blame. It was a massive gamble with Devyn's life leaving him there. He should never have brought him back.
It was definitely a gamble. In the spur of the moment, he made the mistake of following Devyn's panic and sort of logic. Thanks for reading and reviewing!
Link to comment
On 11/21/2014 11:52 AM, Lisa said:
Omg, Mom! Shit, did those three buffoons throw Devyn in his room? Did he slit his wrists? Omg, I'm on pins and needles here...
hehe... seems like everyone is!
Link to comment
On 11/21/2014 10:20 AM, Fantasyboy69 said:
Don't you do this to us. And I hope it's not what I'm fearing behind that door. God, I hope not.
I know, that was mean, hehe. At least you know you don't have to wait long! The chapter will be coming up shortly!
Link to comment
On 11/21/2014 08:02 AM, fiedlerbob101 said:
I cannot believe you are gonna leave us all hanging like this.............Really?

 

Bob

hehe, seems like everyone feels that way. I know it was just a little mean. ;)
Link to comment
On 11/21/2014 05:54 AM, Quiet man said:
So much intensity. Please past again VERY soon
Thanks! It's coming up shortly!
Link to comment
On 11/21/2014 05:14 AM, Onim said:
Heart racing chapter...FINALLY...'what goes up, must come down'!! Brad has created and climbed over death to hopefully reach his own!! Fabulous update...which is the norm for you!! :2thumbs:
Thank you very much! BTW, I love your emoticons! They are so cute!
Link to comment
On 11/21/2014 04:48 AM, Nephylim said:
Yay for the cavalry. So, the knife was meant for Devyn not Brad. Let's hope he hesitated long enough for rescue to get to him in time. What a cliffie!
Yes, at this point you know that Devyn didn't use the knife on Brad--or didn't get the chance yet. So what's behind the door? It's coming up soon! Thanks for reading and reviewing.
Link to comment
On 11/21/2014 04:42 AM, Valkyrie said:
Gah! What a cliffhanger! I hope Devyn didn't hurt himself or if he did, that they get there in time. Great action-packed chapter!
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it! Now, for what's behind the door...
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..