Jump to content
    Geron Kees
  • Author
  • 909 Words
  • 1,261 Views
  • 29 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Caped-Crusader Caper - 4. Chapter 4 - Epilogue

"That was fun," Kyle said, after they had walked nearly a block back towards home.

Justin sighed. "You were amazing, Robin."

Kyle looked over at him and grinned. "All in a day's work, Speedy!"

Justin nodded, not saying the things he was thinking, because they still needed some sorting out. His friend really had amazed him today. That Kyle saw this superhero stuff as a way to do real things - good things - was clear now. It wasn't just make-believe to him. There was some reality in his cosplay, that actually had some effect on the world. They had gotten away with it today, and Justin was proud of the way that Kyle had handled things. But...it could just as easily have gone sour, and someone could have gotten hurt. Justin saw that his own mission was clear now: he could go along with Kyle on these sorts of things, but he would need to be the clear-headed one, and watch for the pitfalls. He would be the one that needed to keep Kyle safe.

It was a lot to think about, and Justin found that he was not the only one doing the thinking. They walked along, block after block, mostly silent, until they heard a familiar jingle emanating from Justin's quiver. He quickly bent, and Kyle fished out the cell phone.

"It's your mom."

Justin took the phone and answered it. "Hi, Mom."

"Justin? Where are you?"

"We're on our way home, Mom."

"You're later than you said you'd be. I was getting worried about you."

Justin sighed. "The hotel check stand lost my suitcase, Mom. Our street clothes. We had to go through a lot of stuff to find it. They gave it to some guy from Syracuse, who took it home with him. Kyle and I had to walk home in our costumes."

His mother's startled laugh made him smile. "Oh, my god! You're walking the streets of New York dressed like Robin and Speedy?"

"Yeah."

"Well...how is that going? Any trouble?"

Justin gazed fondly at Kyle. "Oh, nothing we couldn't handle. We're about three blocks away now. Have you eaten dinner yet?

"No. It should be ready by the time you guys get here. Did you have fun at the con, otherwise?"

"Yes. We had a lot of fun."

"Well...okay. I'll tell your dad what happened. Oh my god, Justin, I just can't believe you had to walk all the way home in those outfits!"

"It wasn't bad at all, Mom. In fact...it was kind of fun!"

"To hear you tell it! I would have been having kittens, in your place!"

Justin grinned, knowing what his mom was like. "We'll be there in about ten or fifteen minutes, Mom. See you then."

"Okay. You guys be careful!"

Justin hung up the phone, and handed it back to his friend, who slid it back into the quiver.

"Was she okay?"

"Yeah. Come on. I'm hungry!"

 

* * * * * * *

 

They were fed, showered, and it was late enough to retire to Justin's room and close the door. And lock the door, though Justin's parents were not the type that would intrude. They had gone to their own room, and would be asleep sooner than later.

Gone were their costumes, washed and put away for the night. But Kyle looked even more appealing in a tee-shirt and underwear, and Justin had settled on the little two-seater sofa in his room and patted the cushion next to him. "Come sit."

Kyle put down the copy of Shadow of the Bat he was reading, smiled, and came to sit next to him. Justin wrapped an arm around his friend, pulled him closer, and kissed his cheek.

"What's that for?"

Justin shrugged. "I don't need a reason. But... I was really proud of you today."

"Yeah?"

"Uh huh. The way you handled that whole thing with those little kids and their clubhouse. Like a real superhero might have."

Kyle sighed, and leaned his head over on Justin's shoulder. "I just tried to do the right thing."

"It's what Robin would have done."

Kyle turned his head and smiled at him. "You really think? I was just making it up as I went along."

Justin laid his cheek against Kyle's hair and smiled. "I love you when you're out of character."

Kyle made a small noise. "And not when I'm Robin?"

"No, I love you then, too. I realized something today."

"What's that?"

Justin pulled back and smiled into Kyle's eyes. "That it isn't the costume that makes a superhero. It's the person in it that matters."

Kyle seemed to consider that, and then nodded. "I think you're right."

Justin sighed, and kissed his boyfriend again. "I know I am. Today, you were a superhero. But you would have been anyway, even without the uniform."

Kyle watched him a moment, all smiles, and then looked towards the bed. "It's sad to see it that way."

Justin frowned at the bed. "What way?"

"Empty." Kyle sat up and got to his feet, and offered a hand. "Coming?"

Justin scratched his head, already imagining what was to come next, and smiled. He took his boyfriend's hand, and stood.

"Lead the way, Boy Wonder."

 

--------------------------------------

 

This story was written as part of a picture challenge on another site. The picture can be found at this link: https://iomfats.org/storyshelf/contests/2021-a-grand-day-out/

Copyright © 2021 Geron Kees; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 14
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..