Jump to content
    Geron Kees
  • Author
  • 3,867 Words
  • 1,809 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You're the Star Atop My Christmas Tree, Charlie Boone! - 3. Part 3

After the meal they resumed their tour. Frit and Pip rejoined them, looking happy to be back.

"Apprentice class," Frit said, when Adrian asked him what they'd been doing. "We have time off from skóli, but we couldn't get out of that one class. Lars Habibula is only here for the one presentation."

Kippy smiled at the name. "Who is that?"

"Oh, he's a master at stuffnothing," Pip said. "The best!"

Charlie joined the others in laughing.

"Stuffnothing?" Kippy repeated, tossing Charlie a smile. "And what might that be?"

"It's putting a lot in a little." Frit came back, grinning.

"Big into small," Pip agreed, laughing.

Max sighed. "It's about maximizing storage space, is all."

Frit made a face. "It's about putting stuff in a space too small to hold it, is what."

"Its about adjusting a space to fit what you want to store," Max corrected, looking stern. "Get your extra-dimensional processes in order, boy!"

Everyone laughed at the expression that came over Frit's face. "Yessir!"

But Max smiled then. "I remember when I was a youngun, we called it stuffnothing then, too. But you still need to get a handle on thinking about it in the right order. Otherwise you'll spend the rest of your life having your stuff squeezed."

Pip's eyes got larger, and he turned and grinned at his boyfriend. Frit bit at his lip, not quite daring to laugh. "Yeah, I definitely don't want my stuff to be squeezed."

Max blinked in surprise, then threw up his hands and turned to Ronja. "What do you do with kids these days!"

The woman smiled at Frit. "Be patient with them. Especially when they're so obviously worth the trouble."

Frit smiled at her, and Pip sighed happily.

Max frowned a moment, and then relented. "Yeah. You're right." He leaned closer to Frit and smiled. "It was a good class, anyway, wasn't it?"

The boy nodded. "Oh, yeah!"

"It was amazing!" Pip added, obviously glad that things had eased up.

"Perhaps we should move on?" Ronja asked, turning her smile on Max.

Max sighed, and started off. "Come on, then."

"Are we going to see Nicholaas today?" Kippy asked, as they turned into another hallway.

"He said he would be along as soon as he could," Ronja supplied, before Max could answer. "He is coordinating a few things just now."

Max laughed. "That's a nice way of putting it. He's getting the delivery line ready. That's a series of magical events that will deliver a heck of a lot of the stuff we have stored here to where it's supposed to wind up. Takes some concentration, you better believe it."

Kippy frowned. "So nothing is going to be delivered by sleigh?"

Max smiled, and both of the younger elves giggled. "I didn't say that," Max replied, a bit mysteriously.

Kippy grinned, and Charlie sighed. Leave it to Kip to get to the bottom of things!

The next room they entered was another huge one full of belts full of items racing about at furious speeds. Max didn't slow down for them to gawk, seemingly intent on just leading them through towards a rounded little building in the center of the huge room, one with windows all the way around it. They could see through the structure and out the other side, though there were obviously chairs and things within.

"Wanna show you where I do my job, mostly," Max said. "This was where I was when you first got hold of me on Goggle, Kip. I was certainly surprised to see you guys, I can sure say that!"

Kippy laughed, but then crossed his arms. "You asked if we were fairies."

Max looked embarrassed. "I meant the kind with wings. Some of them have been known to pull a joke here and there, and--" The elf suddenly slowed, his eyes moving to the many belts around them. Frit and Pip immediately noticed Max's distraction, and slowed as well.

Charlie and the others slowed, too, just in time to see something fly up into the air a couple of belts away, and crash into the floor. Max stopped suddenly. "Uh oh."

The belt they were standing beside suddenly made a horrifying noise, and boxes of ceramic dishes flew in every direction. Charlie ducked instinctively and pulled Kippy down just as a box flew over them, and several other boxes stopped in mid-air just before impacting others in the group, and settled smoothly to the ground nearby. Max had his hands up now, and so did Frit and Pip. Obviously, they had reacted to deflect the missiles.

"Batham's Seven Hells!" Max roared, staring about. The conveyor next to them continued to squawk like a stepped on cat and throw objects everywhere, but none of them could reach the group now. An invisible shield had sprung up between them and the belt, impervious to the flying items.

Several lines over, there was another horrendous sound, and garden tools sailed off that belt in every direction. Some of them were blurs, they were moving so fast; but they all bounced harmlessly off the shield the elves had erected. Frit and Pip were staring about in shock, yet maintaining their magic just as they had been trained to do.

And then the whole room went crazy. Things started flying everywhere as the belts they were riding on seemed to loose their magical grip on them. Charlie and the others stayed down, even though they were safe behind the shields, and Ricky and Adrian were right beside them. Uncle Bob had pulled Ronja down, too, and they seemed to be talking together, although Charlie couldn't hear anything over the clamor in the room.

The noise all about them suddenly moderated, and then all the belts stopped at once. More items went flying off them and crashed to the floor; but in a few seconds, silence descended on the room.

"Oh, Max!" Ronja said then. "What on earth happened?"

There was a faint popping sound nearby, and two elves appeared near them. They were dressed in white uniforms that had 'Quality Control' emblems on them, and their expressions were anything but happy. "There you are, boss!" the larger one said, a fellow a little taller than Max, but still short compared to the humans. "We gotta problem!"

Max nodded. "I can see that. Is it what I think it is?"

"Foobear," said the other elf, nodding his head. "Must be a big one, too, to cause all this mess with the controls in place."

Max grimaced, and shook his head. "Heck of a time for this to happen!" He pointed a finger fiercely at the two newcomers. "You call the keepers yet?"

"We did that right away," the taller elf replied. He closed his eyes a second, and then nodded. "Feels like they're already around, someplace."

Charlie stood, and helped Kip upright beside him. "What happened?"

He hadn't directed the question to anyone in particular, but it was Max that turned to face him. "A foobear got in, somehow."

"That's bad!" Frit said, shaking his head.

"Terrible!" Pip agreed.

Charlie couldn't help emitting a short laugh. The room was a shambles! "I can see the mess. But what made it happen?"

Max blinked, and then smiled at him, and held up a finger indicating he wait a second. He turned back to the two new elves, and indicated the taller one. "That's Merv, and the other guy is Caska. They're a couple of my boys, from my department."

Merv looked startled, but then smiled at the humans. "Oh, hiya. Sorry about the mess."

Caska looked slightly impatient at the change of subject, but also nodded. "Any friends of the boss are friends of mine." But then he turned his gaze back to Max. "What do we do next? I've never seen a foobear that could do all this!"

"Hold up a second." Max turned to Ronja. "It ain't safe here now, ma'am. I'd like one of the boys to take you back to the main house."

Ronja looked surprised, and then shook her head. "I'm fine. I just want to know what's going on."

Max winced, but then nodded again. "Okay, how about this? Frit and Pip will walk all of you back to the cafeteria, and you wait there a few minutes until we get a line on what's happening here. Then I'll come and fill you in."

Ronja looked around at the chaos of items on the floor, and nodded. "Okay. I don't want to be in the way. But I do want to know what happened!"

"I promise," Max said. Then he spun on Frit and Pip. "Take everyone back to the cafeteria. Wait there for me to come."

Frit and Pip both nodded. "Okay!" Frit said. He turned to Charlie."Let's go!"

The humans did not want to argue, and certainly didn't want to be obstinate when they had no idea what was happening. As curious as Charlie was about what had just occurred, he understood that they were guests here and that it was important for them to be out of the line of fire, so to speak. So he nodded, and tightened his hand on Kip's, and they turned as a group and followed Frit. Pip took up a position to the rear, his eyes moving everywhere, obviously watching for something. That only increased Charlie's curiosity, but he simply bit his tongue and followed Frit.

It did not take them long to get back to the cafeteria. The place was empty now, the elves apparently called back to duty. They went back to the table where they had eaten and took seats. Frit and Pip remained standing, though, their eyes moving about the room, obviously watching.

"So what's going on?" Ricky asked. "I can't believe what happened back there."

"It was pretty amazing," Uncle Bob concurred. "It seemed like the magic there broke somehow!"

Frit nodded vigorously. "That's exactly what happened."

"Went kapow!" Pip agreed.

"It's a foobear," Frit continued, still looking about the room. "They can be dangerous, sometimes."

"Very!" Pip agreed.

Charlie looked from one elf to the other, and then gave out an exasperated grunt. "What is a foobear!"

Frit blinked, and then smiled. "Rogue magic. A piece that broke off the allmagic."

Charlie shook his head briefly, not in any way enlightened. "You're not telling me anything I can understand."

Frit opened his mouth, then closed it and looked at Pip. "You're better at this. You tell 'em."

Pip gave his boyfriend a pleased smile, and turned to Charlie. "You know magic is all one thing, right? We call it the allmagic, and all of us can access it. Some people have talents for doing certain things with it, and other people have talents for doing others. It's common for one person to be good at more than one type of magic, too. We have to learn to use the allmagic, and we get better as we go along. But the magic itself is all one. The source is the same for all of us."

Charlie nodded. "I remember that the people of Twombly were selectively cut off from what they could access of that magic. I know that you can turn off any elf's use of parts of it, or even all of it, by group consensus."

"That's right!" Pip nodded vigorously. "The magic belongs to all of us, so we all have a say in how it gets used, and by who. Mostly we never interfere with anybody, because people are very good at using it wisely. But there have been exceptions, like the one you know about with Eustace and Marly. It was a shame it followed their descendants, but that's the way the sanction was set up back then." Pip grinned. "But that's fixed now, thanks to you guys!"

Kippy laughed. "We're happy about that, too. But that still doesn't tell us what a foobear is!"

Pip nodded. "Doing magic is a procedure. You open the call, define the process, and then you close the call when your magic is done. Closing the call is important. It stops the flow of the magic, because you have ended what you are doing with it. It's bad to forget to close when you're done."

Charlie nodded. "Oh. So it's like this allmagic is the energy that powers the magic you do?"

"That's right!" Frit said, nodding. "You're good at this, Charlie."

Pip grinned. "Told ya!"

Frit sighed, and nodded. "They're all good at it. They got the understanding. Especially Kippy."

Kippy looked from one elf to the other. "Me?" But then he blinked, and nodded. "Oh. You mean skwish."

"That's part of it," Frit agreed. "But...it's too early for us to say more. We promised we wouldn't!"

Charlie and Kippy exchanged a glance, wondering what that meant, but Charlie decided it couldn't be addressed just now. "And the foobear part?"

Pip frowned. "The allmagic isn't smart on its own. It's a wild force, and it has to be directed. Elves do that directing, and so do other power users...out there." He waved a hand at the high ceiling. "Users on other worlds. Some are better than others, as you've seen."

"And sometimes, someone messes up," Frit continued. "Someone forgets to do a proper close after they're done using the allmagic. And a little piece gets cut off from the main body, and gets free. That's a foobear."

"How can someone forget to turn the magic off?" Uncle Bob asked. "Wouldn't that be part of the spell?"

Frit smiled. "We don't use spells, like you're thinking. Well, mostly. There are some verbal concentrations that serve as foci, but most of what we do is inside our heads and not spoken."

Charlie smiled. He was so used to the energetic pursuit of fun that so often marked Frit's and Pip's lifestyles that he often forgot that they were also elves in training, and possessors of powers that would astonish just about any human. That the two never spoke about their studies easily made him forget that they did know a lot more about a lot of things than could be imagined. Elf magic was a science, and there were physics and mechanics involved in the processes they used, and the average elf certainly knew much more about the rules of the universe than any average human being.

Adrian raised his hand and laid it along his jaw in thought. "So a foobear is a piece of wild, undirected magic, cut off from the main body, and roaming free on it's own? What can it do then, if it's undirected?"

"Plenty!" Frit's face grew serious again. "Because it's undirected, it also has a potential to all magic. It can cross the lines of other magical processes in motion, and terminate them. That's what happened back in the distribution room. The attractor magic that kept everything on the belts got terminated, and stuff just went everywhere."

Charlie nodded. "I got ya. Those belts move way too fast, and in just crazy directions, for things to stay aboard unless they're held there."

"Right," Pip agreed. "It won't take long to clean up the mess and get stuff going again, but until we catch the foobear and nullify it, it might just happen again. Or, worse, something else even more important might get mucked up."

"So how do you catch the thing?" Ricky asked.

"Keepers come and hunt it down," Frit said.

"They're really good at it," Pip agreed.

Kippy frowned. "How do they nullify it?"

Pip looked at his boyfriend uncertainly. "Would it be safe to say it's like grounding it?"

Frit nodded vigorously. "Sure." He turned to Kippy. "Like a lightning rod in your world grounds bolts of static discharge between clouds and the earth. Keepers track down the foobear and kind of ground it back into the allmagic. You can't destroy magic, you can only change its form. So they just put it back where it came from, more or less."

"Wow." Kippy looked impressed. "you guys sure have some cool stuff going on here."

Frit and Pip both laughed. "Little foobears are more common. This is a whopping one, to do what it did. Someone messed up big time!"

"Any way to track down the culprit?" Charlie asked. "The elf who didn't close properly?"

"Might not have been one of us," Pip said. "Could have been any user, anywhere in the universe. The allmagic is everywhere. Foobears are attracted to points of high usage, like here. Could have been a Moth somewhere that messed up, or some other power user. Just because someone didn't close out right in Andromeda, doesn't mean the foobear will show up there."

Charlie was stunned. "So this thing could have had an origin anywhere in the universe?"

"Oh, sure." Frit shrugged. "That's just the way it goes."

Kippy gaped a moment, and then shook his head. "Wow. So with so many users all over creation, this must happen a lot."

"Not really," Pip countered. "It takes a major lapse of concentration to forget a close. And when it does happen, it's usually just a little piece of the allmagic - a little foobear - that escapes. Ones the size of this one are rare. Really rare!"

"Too big to summon," Frit said. "Small ones, the keepers just pull them in and return them to the allmagic. Big ones like this are too powerful, and the keepers have to hunt it down and nullify it. Good thing is that foobears stay near points of concentration, so even this big one won't just leave and go somewhere else to cause trouble."

"It almost sounds like it's alive," Kippy mused.

"It's not," Frit assured. "It's just magic force. It gets attracted to other magic processes and disrupts them just by being there. It's not deliberate."

Kippy looked at Charlie, and Charlie could see doubt in his boyfriend's eyes. "Problem, Kip?"

"I don't know. My skwish seems to be acting up a little."

"You might be feeling the foobear," Pip said, looking carefully around the cafeteria. "Keepers can sense them easily. Your skwish might be sensitive to them, too."

"It can't hurt us, can it?" Ronja asked.

Uncle Bob nodded. "I thought it just disrupted magical processes?"

Frit and Pip looked at each other uncertainly, and then Frit held out his hands to share that feeling with everyone. "There's a heap of magical processes going on here at the workshop at any given time. Even the way this place is built uses magic. A foobear isn't dangerous to us - it can't hurt us - but if it disrupts a magical process we are close to, we could get hurt as a result. Like back in the distribution room. All that stuff flying around could have hurt someone if we hadn't put up shields. And even shields are magical processes, so there is no guarantee we'd be safe behind them if we got near the foobear again."

Charlie blew out his breath. "I get it. Earthquakes don't kill people, buildings do."

Frit nodded. "Yeah, kind of like that."

Pip looked around the room again. "There's some big magic that went into making this place. Nicholaas did this. Foobears can't cancel magic that's bigger than they are, but this is a big foobear. I think the building is probably safe from disruption, but I don't know about all the stuff in it."

"Well, maybe Nicholaas needs to know about this," Ronja said.

"I'm sure he does," Pip returned. He grinned then. "He knows about everything."

The lady beamed at that, and Uncle Bob smiled. "Nothing like being top dog at the kennel."

Ronja turned her smile on Uncle Bob, and gently patted his arm. "I assure you, Nicholaas is quite a gentle dog."

Everyone laughed at that, and Charlie relaxed a little. So their situation probably wasn't dangerous, it just could be if they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"So I guess we just wait and see," he said.

Ronja emitted a small, distinctly feminine sigh. "I'm just so sorry this disrupted your visit. There are so many wonders here, I forget that things cannot be perfect. But I'm sure these..." she paused and looked over at Frit.

"Keepers," he supplied, smiling.

"..keepers will handle everything quickly, and then we can get back to our visit."

They ordered some beverages, and talked quietly, and time passed with no more fuss. Ronja, it seemed, had fallen in love with the workshop and all it contained, and the elves that managed to get everything done. She radiated happiness as she spoke, and Kippy kept smiling at Charlie, his eyes broadcasting how much he liked the woman that Nicholass had chosen as a companion. There could be no better review than that to Charlie's way of thinking, and he quickly found himself also very much in like with her.

"My background is so quiet," she said during the conversation. "Switzerland is not any sort of focus in the world, except financially, and even that is quiet and reserved. The troubles that other places seem submerged in daily are noticeably absent in my country. I very much enjoyed my work at the lodge, as I got to meet people from all over, and I do like that quite a bit." She smiled at Frit and Pip, and gave another little sigh. "And now I have met some of the most special people of all."

The two elves grinned, and Charlie was amazed at how shy they looked. As a companion to Nicholaas, Ronja could almost be considered like royalty here; and yet, Nicholaas himself would have been irritated at the notion of being considered a king of this realm, for he saw his relationship with the elf population as an equal partnership, and the elves themselves as his friends. This was a wholly different world here, and one that operated without much of the pressures that plagued the human world. But that Ronja was held in high esteem, at least by Frit and Pip, was readily apparent, and Charlie figured that the two elf teens were probably a pretty good weather vane for the elf population in general. Ronja had not only been accepted here, she was liked, and perhaps even loved.

Just as Nicholas surely was.

"I think they may see you in much the same light," he ventured, smiling.

"We do!" Frit dared, blushing.

"She's the best!" Pip added, his face also going to rose.

Ronja smiled at that, and a bit of red filtered into her own cheeks. "I feel so lucky to have met Nick, um--" Her blush deepened a shade. "I mean, Nicholaas. And all of you, in fact. It has truly changed my life for the better."

Kippy beamed at Charlie, and Adrian sighed and leaned against Rick, who also looked quite happy. Charlie couldn't help laughing, just a little. "I think this has been a great visit so far, and I think it will only get better from here."

Later he would look back on those words, and smile.

Copyright © 2019 Geron Kees; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Oh boy! The first sign of trouble. How will the gang be involved? Will they be traveling in space to discover the source of what I fear will be a whole series of foobears?
;–)

Link to comment

Moths seem to be the gremlins in the GK Universe, much as 'foo-fighters' plagued WWII pilots.  Wonder if Pacha will show up to help?  :wizard:

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Oh boy! The first sign of trouble. How will the gang be involved? Will they be traveling in space to discover the source of what I fear will be a whole series of foobears?
;–)

You ARE a glutton for punishment, aren't you? :)

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Ivor Slipper said:

I can't forbear from expressing the thought that when talking about Foobears someone also mentioned the Moth. :unsure2:

People mention others all the time in conversation, and it doesn't mean they'll show up. Like mentioning Santa at Christmas doesn't mean that old Saint Nick himself will show...oh.

Sorry. Bad example! :)

 

Edited by Geron Kees
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Moths seem to be the gremlins in the GK Universe, much as 'foo-fighters' plagued WWII pilots.  Wonder if Pacha will show up to help?  :wizard:

Interesting (and not surprising) that you picked out the root for 'foobear'. I was indeed thinking of WWII foo-fighters when I came up with that!  ✈️

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

People mention others all the the time in conversation, and it doesn't mean they'll show up. Like mentioning Santa at Christmas doesn't mean that old Saint Nick himself will show...oh.

Sorry. Bad example! :)

Do you have to mention them three times in conversation, or does that only happen in a funny Eighties movie?
;–)

Link to comment

Ronja seems to have been the perfect choice for Nicholaas. But what else would we expect. It is so awesome that he must be so happy/content now.

Things don't seem too bad, for now, even though Kippy's skwish is noticing something. Maybe a huge foobear means a huge process. That would mean the User must be powerful. Maybe their process got interrupted, rather than they forgot to close it properly. Maybe the Guys get to help in regards to who or what caused said interruption. 

Okay. It is Sunday morning locally. That is too much thinking for a Sunday morning. Maybe we should just get the next chapter early so we don't cause ourselves an injury?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Do you have to mention them three times in conversation, or does that only happen in a funny Eighties movie?
;–)

Hmm. I don't know. Let's try! 

I sure wouldn't mind meeting Santa in person. I always thought that Santa must be a really cool dude. I mean, with a name like Santa, how could you not be cool?

Okay...well, nothing yet...don't hear any hooves on the roof...haven't seen any new presents pop up under the tree...don't hear any sleigh bells...oh...wait.

Well, isn't that the way it always works? I'd like to try this experiment some more, but someone's knocking at the front door! 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Buz said:

Ronja seems to have been the perfect choice for Nicholaas. But what else would we expect. It is so awesome that he must be so happy/content now.

Things don't seem too bad, for now, even though Kippy's skwish is noticing something. Maybe a huge foobear means a huge process. That would mean the User must be powerful. Maybe their process got interrupted, rather than they forgot to close it properly. Maybe the Guys get to help in regards to who or what caused said interruption. 

Okay. It is Sunday morning locally. That is too much thinking for a Sunday morning. Maybe we should just get the next chapter early so we don't cause ourselves an injury?

Ronja would have to be the perfect choice. I don't think someone like Nicholaas could be fooled into picking the wrong gal!

But I wanted him to be happy, so I may have made her a little extra nice. :)

I would have liked to publish the whole story as a single, but too many people prefer chapters. And the rules say only two chapters per day. I'm getting too old now to change my ways and start being sneaky now! :)

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Geron Kees said:

Hmm. I don't know. Let's try! 

I sure wouldn't mind meeting Santa in person. I always thought that Santa must be a really cool dude. I mean, with a name like Santa, how could you not be cool?

Okay...well, nothing yet...don't hear any hooves on the roof...haven't seen any new presents pop up under the tree...don't hear any sleigh bells...oh...wait.

Well, isn't that the way it always works? I'd like to try this experiment some more, but someone's knocking at the front door! 

Maybe he lives in California where we have Santa Rosa, Santa Clara, Santa Barbara, and Santa Ana (just listing four from north to south)!
;–)

Link to comment
6 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

Interesting (and not surprising) that you picked out the root for 'foobear'. I was indeed thinking of WWII foo-fighters when I came up with that!  ✈️

Like most times, I listened to my narrator rather than read along, and I thought you had written 'fubar', which is slang for 'f-ed up, but all right' or something like that...I thought that came from the War, but then I began thinking of gremlins like in that era's Bugs Bunny cartoons who sabotaged stuff, and that lead to the 'fighters' that some thought might have been Nazi wunderwaffen.  Strange route, but I guess it says a lot about my weird mind.  😺

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Like most times, I listened to my narrator rather than read along, and I thought you had written 'fubar', which is slang for 'f-ed up, but all right' or something like that...I thought that came from the War, but then I began thinking of gremlins like in that era's Bugs Bunny cartoons who sabotaged stuff, and that lead to the 'fighters' that some thought might have been Nazi wunderwaffen.  Strange route, but I guess it says a lot about my weird mind.  😺

When I was researching acronyms, I found two main meanings for FUBAR.  The first was "F***ed Up Beyond All Repair."  The second was "Fouled Up Beyond All Repair."  I also read it first as fubar, then said to myself, "Look at that again.  Something wrong with that interpretation."

I like how Kippy and Adrian are continuing to develop skwish.  I also would like to see Uncle Bob in the next space bound adventure.  I think he and Ragal and Pacha would have a great time together, along with Casper and Keerby.

 

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Maybe he lives in California where we have Santa Rosa, Santa Clara, Santa Barbara, and Santa Ana (just listing four from north to south)!
;–)

Figures that California would have a lock on Santa, too! :)

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Like most times, I listened to my narrator rather than read along, and I thought you had written 'fubar', which is slang for 'f-ed up, but all right' or something like that...I thought that came from the War, but then I began thinking of gremlins like in that era's Bugs Bunny cartoons who sabotaged stuff, and that lead to the 'fighters' that some thought might have been Nazi wunderwaffen.  Strange route, but I guess it says a lot about my weird mind.  😺

Are you saying that your mind is twisted? Or that logic is simply not always a straight line affair? :)

I was also thinking about the Bugs Bunny cartoon and the gremlin. Um...you're scaring me!

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

When I was researching acronyms, I found two main meanings for FUBAR.  The first was "F***ed Up Beyond All Repair."  The second was "Fouled Up Beyond All Repair."  I also read it first as fubar, then said to myself, "Look at that again.  Something wrong with that interpretation."

I like how Kippy and Adrian are continuing to develop skwish.  I also would like to see Uncle Bob in the next space bound adventure.  I think he and Ragal and Pacha would have a great time together, along with Casper and Keerby.

 

I have so many characters in this series now that i have to keep a list of them! Hmm. Uncle Bob in space. Hmm! :)

I have heard another meaning for the fubar acro: fouled up beyond all recognition.

But in this case, the 'foo' in foobear means exactly the same as the 'foo' in foo-ighters. 'Foo' was a popular term in American culture in the 1930's, derived from the comic strip Smokey Stover, who drove a foomobile fire engine with only two wheels. At that time it was often used to signify a goofy or strange technology, or a goofy or strange social custom. 

The term 'foo' was borrowed by a radar operator in the 415th Night Fighter Squadron in WWII, who was a great fan of Smokey Stover and his favorite phrase in the comics, 'Where there's foo, there's fire!' It was that radar operator that gave the name foo-fighters to the strange, apparently way-too-fast or maneuverable aircraft seen sometimes on his radar screen, or chased by fighters of his wing, mostly at night. The term later became a generic for any UFO. 

For Max and his crowd, a loose ball of energy that can cause mischief is definitely a foo!

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
23 hours ago, Ivor Slipper said:

I can't forbear from expressing the thought that when talking about Foobears someone also mentioned the Moth. :unsure2:

Forbearing Foobears causing things to go FUBAR?

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Fae Briona said:

Forbearing Foobears causing things to go FUBAR?

Can you say that real fast, ten times? :)

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
15 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

When I was researching acronyms, I found two main meanings for FUBAR.  The first was "F***ed Up Beyond All Repair."  The second was "Fouled Up Beyond All Repair."

I think it’s pretty obvious that ‘fouled’ was a later attempt to clean up the definition for polite company which would be shocked by the dirty language, unlike today when nearly anything is said regardless of how many grandmothers, preachers, or ‘innocent’ children are present!
;–)

Link to comment
44 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I think it’s pretty obvious that ‘fouled’ was a later attempt to clean up the definition for polite company which would be shocked by the dirty language, unlike today when nearly anything is said regardless of how many grandmothers, preachers, or ‘innocent’ children are present!
;–)

You got that right! Language used to have some finesse to it. If you could insult someone without swearing at them, you had a 'sharp' tongue. These days, everyone has a club, and uses it indiscriminately. 

In the same way, 'foo fighters' was originally 'f***ing foo fighters!'. Military brass and journalists moved to clean it up when it started into the public usage. Men have always cussed a blue streak, but they always reserved it for use among themselves. And the feminine among us would have considered it extremely un-ladylike to have employed such language. Amazing what a desire for free speech will bring. Rudeness and crudeness are no replacement for finesse.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Geron Kees said:

And the feminine among us would have considered it extremely un-ladylike to have employed such language.

Are you calling me feminine? I may not be the butchest or most macho guy out there, but I don’t think I’m particularly feminine! Oh, that’s not what you meant? Sorry…
;–)

Link to comment

Hmm. A hiccup that might be a bit more? When would that happen with Charlie and his crew?!? 🤪. Great chapter!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Are you calling me feminine? I may not be the butchest or most macho guy out there, but I don’t think I’m particularly feminine! Oh, that’s not what you meant? Sorry…
;–)

I wasn't implying that at all. We're you inferring it? :)

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mfa607 said:

Hmm. A hiccup that might be a bit more? When would that happen with Charlie and his crew?!? 🤪. Great chapter!

I'd tell you, but that would spoil the fun! Thanks! :)

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Fantastical entertainment! I think I might have a foobear in my workroom. I thought it was the barn cats who keep making a mess and knocking stuff over, but now I'm not so sure. :P  Great chapter, Geron... I'll be back... cheers... Gary....

  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..