Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 5,342 Words
  • 1,078 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Young, Gay and Scared - 9. Chapter 9

9.1

Although he’d tried to ignore the taunts and insults, Tommo was gradually being ground down. Every day was not the same, some days the abuse was light but other days severe. Except for Geoff and Bluey, he had no friends. The three boys lunched together when they could, but when the other two lads couldn’t, he ate alone. His locker was vandalised. ‘Fag’, “Poofter’ and other hurtful slogans were painted on the door, and he just got tired of trying to erase the vandalising. Then one day someone broke into his locker and defaced his textbooks.

As each day passed he drifted further into depression which brought about lifelessness. His whole focus was to just get through each day at school, then home to recoup. He went downhill slowly, and no one noticed. And no one helped. The teaching staff were completely aware of Tommo’s plight, but they wouldn’t or couldn’t help. The matter was never raised at staff meetings; it was a clear breach of the school’s duty of care and the Headmaster was primarily responsible.

Why?

It was the nineteen fifties, and such issues of same-sex attraction were not discussed in gentile company. Tomas did not give the school authorities any cause for expulsion, so everyone hoped the pressure would make him leave. Where? . . . Anywhere! Out of sight meant out of mind.

Shirley and Colin Davis were increasingly alarmed at Tomas’s mental state. In those days counselling was not available at school, and seeing a ‘head-shrink’, or being placed in the care of a Psychiatrist, was a social stigma. It was any parent’s nightmare – to watch your only child be punished for simply being different, something over which he had no control. Colin Davis visited with the Headmaster Allan Wilcox, on several occasions, pleading with him to take some action. Whilst expressing sympathy – unctuously - the Head’s position was that no rules had been broken, no culprits exposed, and none of society’s laws broken. He stressed that nothing was to interfere with their main purpose, to ensure students did well in their exams.

So, the school program continued, blindly ignoring the plight of one of their students.

But what about Tomas?

It wasn’t so much the solitude that concerned him, it was the total absence of help. Yes, he had his parents, Geoff, and Bluey, but all they could do was try and alleviate the pain of past cruelties. There was no-one he could go to who could stop the torment, who could advise him, and who could speak on his behalf. A lawyer would advise against legal action because no laws had been broken, and the charge of failing to provide a duty of care was difficult to prove.

And so, the young kid just existed in isolation, awaiting his fate, whatever that may be.

<><><><>

9.2

With his Grandmother in poor health, Tomas always visited her after school on Mondays. She hadn’t been told of Tomas’s sexual orientation because no one wanted to add any distress to the old girl whilst she was ailing.

It was a rainy afternoon, and Tomas walked along his Grandmother’s street hunched up against the drizzle. He never heard the footsteps behind him till suddenly he was pushed hard, landing on his back. Looking up, he recognized Bert Cree and Biffo Cradox as his attackers; plainly this wasn’t a social visit because hatred was writ all over their faces.

THUMP! Tomas screamed as Cree drove his boot into his balls. He painfully curled up as protection and then received a savage boot to his head. This from Biffo.

“(THUMP) You bloody filthy poofter, you and yer kind don’t deserve to live because of yer foul and sinful habits. (THUMP) Get this message, fagott, we don’t want yer kind at our school. We wants ya gone. Kick him Bert.”

THUMP! THUMP! Cree responded by two savage kicks to Tomas’s chest, who was now groaning in agony. In tandem, they kicked his head, then his chest and then his head again. Another kick to his buttocks sent waves of pain up his back.

To the yells of, ‘Poofter’, ‘fagott’, ‘Queer’, ‘Cock-sucker’, and others, they continued the attack and then one final savage kick to his testicles again. This brought forth a piercing scream and brought several neighbours running. At the first sign of other people, the two culprits ran, but the damage had been done. Tommo lay writhing in pain and bleeding severely from head wounds. The blood flowed down his face, then his neck and finally seeped onto his chest. He was a frightening sight, and his continual wailing in pain convinced the first arrivals to call an ambulance. Eventually, his pain was too much, and he passed out.

When the ambulance arrived, the paramedics stemmed the blood flow but fearing broken ribs and other internal damage, particularly brain injury, he was taken to Emergency at the local Hospital. From his school bag they obtained his name, and then Shirly Davis was notified. Around the same time, a spectator called the police. Tomas was in such a seriously injured state that it was obvious a severe crime had been committed. This wasn’t just a brawl between school kids, it had all the markings of a planned attack.

Shirley put the phone down and just stood staring at the wall. It took some time for the shock to subside and then be replaced by a terrible numbing fear. She called Colin, then a cab, and then the hospital. According to the Reception he’d been taken to x-ray and then to intensive care.

Arriving at the hospital she went straight to Intensive Care. Tomas lay immobile in a coma that had been artificially induced by the medics. His face had been cleaned up and, except for the bandages around his head, he looked almost peaceful. A doctor quietly appeared beside her and after checking Tomas’s vitals he offered an analysis.

“He’s been put into a coma for the time being because he had some significant damage to his head. It’s not a very deep coma, so as soon as we’re confident there’s no brain damage we’ll bring him back. Don’t worry, he’s going to be fine. His ribs are badly bruised but thankfully, not broken. Unfortunately, he’s going to be in some severe pain for a while but, at his age, the body is very resilient. All going well, we’ll review his situation in two days’ time and if all ‘s ok, we’ll send him home.”

“Oh, thank you doctor, that’s a relief. My husband’s due to arrive and he’ll be relieved to hear that. Was he badly beaten, I mean how serious was the attack?”

“Frankly I’m concerned, he’s just your normal teenager undergoing all the confusing changes that happen to boys at his age. Why anyone would want to do this is a mystery to me. The police will be here shortly and I’m going to have to tell them about the severity of the attack. Does the lad have any bad enemies?”

Shirley was so angry she just poured out her heart.

“Well, doctor I don’t know how to say this . . . it’s very difficult and I don’t like talking in public. Can we go somewhere private? I know you’re busy, but I, err we, would like to talk to you. Can I bring my husband by when he arrives?”

“Sure, if you feel it’s that serious and will help us understand what’s happened, by all means. Just ask the duty nurse to page me when your hubbie arrives.”

Eventually, Tomas’s parents and the doctor sat down in the hospital cafeteria where they had some privacy. Colin Davis started the conversation,

“Doctor . . .”

“Umm, please call me Matt.”

“Err, thanks Matt. Our son has been subjected to harassment at his school, Manly Boys High and, frankly, we’ve been very concerned for some time about his mental state. We don’t think he’s handling the pressure very well; plainly put, some of the abuse has been nasty.”

“Oh, I see; am I to assume that this latest attack is just a continuation of the bullying at school? The police are involved, and they want a report from me on his injuries. I’ll mention he’s been brutalized before, but why? Why would a nice-looking lad like your son be imperilled by dangerous harassment?”

“Doctor . . . sorry Matt, as my husband said, this harassment has been going on some time. We believe it’s because our son is . . . how shall I say . . . different, and because of this he’s been singled out for abuse. He’s only just turned . . . “

‘Sorry, but Mrs Davis . . . “

“Shirley please.”

“(Nodding) Shirley. What do you mean different? Different in what way?”

‘He’s . . . a . . . ummm . . .”

“What my wife is trying to say is our son’s a homosexual. He was caught having an affair at a Christian College and expelled. We wanted to keep the offence secret to protect him, so we hired a lawyer who forced the school to seal their documents until our son reached eighteen years. Somehow, and I haven’t got to the crux of the matter yet, but somehow, the matter has been leaked and made public at his new school, Manly Boys High.”

“Oh my god! Oh, that’s awful, now I can understand why the boy was targeted. To make the situation worse, this isn’t going to go away is it? Kids at school can be cruel. (Pause) I just don’t know how to advise you.”

“Can he be cured? Is there some treatment he can undergo?”

“Not really Shirley, the fact is we know very little about same-sex attraction. The more illiterate of our citizens will say that it’s a choice perverted people make, but I reject this approach. Why would anyone choose to live in misery? No, that’s too simple and frankly ignorant. The problem usually stems from certain utterances in the bible that religious people attribute to God. I reject this again, to me these statements are just the earliest forms of Homophobia. But be that as it may, we’re back to how to help your son. (Long pause, both parents leaned forward in anticipation) The Psychiatric fraternity regards homosexuality as a mental illness and has put forward several ways of treating the condition.”

“You mean there are ways my son can be helped? Please, please Matt, tell us, we’ll do anything to make him better, anything.”

“There are treatments called Aversion therapy, which have been tried without any convincing success. If you want to proceed I’ll try and find someone locally who would be willing to help Tomas. But, once again I must stress . . .”

“What do you mean ‘Aversion Therapy’ Matt, can you try and explain what is meant by that term?”

“(long pause) I don’t have any specifics Colin, but there are two forms of treatment. Firstly, electric shock procedure, and then using chemicals to alter the brain somehow. Of course, you’re going to ask what I mean as ‘electric shock procedure (both parents nodded) I haven’t seen it applied but I believe the patient sits in a darkened room wired up to some sort of electrical apparatus. On a screen, images of naked men and women are flashed on the screen. In your son’s case, electric jolts would accompany the naked male images to associate male nudeness with pain. After that . . .”

“That’s awful, that’s barbaric, that’s like something out of the Inquisition, it’s callous. I can’t allow my son to be subjected to such a relic of the dark ages, never!”

“I agree with you Colin, I wouldn’t want any of my kids to undergo such barbarism. Unfortunately, the chemical approach is worse. The patient is introduced to certain chemicals that lower his sex drive, ultimately leading to chemical castration. It’s ugly.!”

“Oh my, if I were to subject Tomas to such measures I could never look him in the eye again. (Sigh) What about results Matt, have these . . . these. . . methods been successful. I mean, are there any guarantees Tomas would be cured. I’d only allow such treatment if there’s a reasonable chance of success.”

“Sorry Shirley, I can’t answer you. All I can do is send you to a Psychiatrist who has more experience. I can certainly do that, but before I do I want you to consider something. (Both the Davis’s looked expectant) You see, it’s not Tomas that has a problem, it’s our society. If homosexuality is accepted as a normal lifestyle then Tomas wouldn’t have a problem. I personally believe that same-sex attraction is a normal function of humanity. There have been homosexuals throughout history, going back thousands of years. Nothing has changed in that regard, except how society accepts same-sex folks. This is my personal viewpoint, not the official viewpoint.”

“Not sure what you’re trying to say Matt.”

“Simply Colin, there’s nothing wrong with your son, nothing at all. It’s just that our society is wrong in decrying homosexuals. (Sigh) I know that doesn’t help matters, but I’m just trying to put all options for you out front. I wish I could help more, I really do.”

“(Sigh) No, that’s good of you Matt, actually what you just said makes sense and believe it or not, I find it comforting. It seems our focus should be how to handle an aberrant society rather than trying to change our son to conform to society (Matt nodded). Look, we’ve taken enough of your time, give us a referral and we’ll make a decision from there, but, thanks again, I feel much better now.”

<><><><>

9.3

Not long after talking to Tomas’s parents (Doctor) Matt had a visit from the police in the form of a Sergeant and a constable. The Sergeant was an older man and had an imposing countenance. The younger man was just that – younger. They gathered in a small waiting room usually used for visitors and introduced themselves.

“My name is Sergeant Jock Malloy, and this is Constable Julian Burrows. What can you tell us about the patient Tomas Davis?”

“Well he was savagely beaten Sergeant; his injuries are extensive. He’s in an induced coma because we’re not confident he hasn’t suffered brain damage. He’s only a young teenager Sergeant, and such attacks shouldn’t happen. The person or persons, who did this are vicious and dangerous. I hope you catch them and put them away before they can do any more harm. They are potential killers.”

“I see, but will the boy be Ok? We have to assess the degree of the assault, so we can apply appropriate charges. Is it possible the lad initiated the violence?”

“It looks as though he’ll be Ok when we bring him out of the coma. I can’t, of course, stipulate as to his mental health. An attack such as this can leave damaging sub-conscious memories that could come back over time. I’m going to recommend to his parents they place him in the hands of a specialist in mental health. As to your last question, no, the only marks on the boy were from his attackers. There’s no evidence he might have started the fight, none whatsoever. Why do you ask?”

“Simply we want to know if he provoked the attack. Witnesses only arrived on the scene when the attackers had scarpered. They never saw who started the fight, nor can they identify the assailants. We don’t have much to go on.”

“I’m told he goes to Manly Boys High; why don’t you ask the staff if anyone in particular was harassing the lad. They should know; well, they absolutely should know.”

“I believe you’ve talked to his parents. Were they forthcoming about any trouble Master Davis had at school?”

“Yes Constable, they did mention he’d been bullied at school and had been for some time. They advanced a theory, but I must respect their need for confidentiality. Go talk with them, and they may tell you themselves about the boy’s problems.”

“That sounds ominous Doctor, are you sure you can’t elaborate? This is presumably a criminal action, and we’re entitled to get to the truth. I ask you again, what did the parents specify as the main issue?”

“And again, I have to say, sorry. Only the boy’s parents can answer to any more detail. There you have it; I’m sorry I can’t be any more helpful. Now I must go tend to my patients.”

“Oh, when do you think we can talk to the lad?”

“Look, come back in two days’ time. By then he’ll be conscious and hopefully answer all your questions. Is there anything else I can do to help with your enquiries? (They both shook their heads) Ok then, I’ll be off.”

<><><><>

9.4

At first, there were unfamiliar sounds, then an unfamiliar smell, and then, very slowly, light. He opened his eyes and stared at a picture hanging on an opposite wall emerged. It meant nothing to him, unfamiliar, and gave no clue as to where he was. A murmur of voices reached him; a confusing jumble of sounds that made no sense. He just lay dormant on what was obviously, a bed. Then he sensed movement close by and, looking in that direction, his mother’s face came into focus.

“Tomas, Tomas, can you hear me? Wake up Tomas, wakeup; you’re alright, you’re in hospital.”

He struggled to make sense.

Hospital? Hospital? Why am I in hospital? And why is my mother telling me I’m in hospital. I don’t remember . . . Oh, Oh, yes . . . yes, I was in a fight . . . Oh shit the pain, Oh god the pain . . . boots! Someone kicking me, oh shit that hurt . . . two boys . . . two boys kicking me . . . who? Who? . . . Bert Cree, yeah, Bert Cree and . . . and . . . Biffo Cradox . . . Bert Cree and Biffo Cradox . . . kicking me . . . kicking me . . . And then, nothing.

Slowly Tomas regained conscious. Slowly he remembered the attack by Cree and Cradox . . . and then remembered the pain; pain like he’d never felt before. He looked at his mother.

“Mum? Mum, I don’t remember coming into hospital. I vaguely remember being attacked this afternoon on my way to Nanna’s. Have you told her I can’t come, she’ll be worried.”

“(Chiding softly) Tomas, you were attacked last Monday and have been in a coma ever since. Today’s Thursday, and you’ve just awakened from an induced sleep. The doctors thought you might have brain damage, but it seems you’ll be alright now. Dad will be hear soon after he finishes work. How do you feel son?”

“Sore. Why mum, why? Why did they attack me, is it because I’m . . . you know . . . is that why they attacked me? I’ve never harmed anyone . . . why do I deserve this?”

And then Tommo began to cry. He turned his face towards his mother, held onto her hand and bawled his eyes out. Shirley became distraught, not knowing what to do. The doctor prescribed strong medication for his physical pain, but there was nothing she could do about his emotional anguish – except let him cry it out. And cry he did, he just let it all go. His poor mother had to sit and listen to her child venting his unhappiness and not being able to do anything about it.

Eventually, the crying diminished, and Tomas lay back exhausted. Just then a nurse came to the bedside.

“Well young man, you’ve finally decided to re-join the land of the living. How do you feel, Tomas?”

“Very sore ma’am, I’m having difficulty breathing, it’s quite painful. When can I go home.?”

“Not yet petal, we need to re-scan your head just to make sure there’s no damage. Also, we need to keep you immobile for your ribs to heal more. At your age, the healing should be quicker than say, at my age. Lucky you.”

“Is he allowed visitors Sister? I know some of his friends want to visit.”

“Oh yes, as long as they don’t agitate him. He needs calm and gentle movements, to expedite the healing process”

After the Sister left, Shirley Davis took her son’s hand and stroked it.

“The police have been involved Tomas, they’ll want to ask if you can identify your attackers. Did you recognize anyone?”

“(Angrily) Oh yes, it was Bert Cree and that mongrel Biffo Cradox. The image of their faces I’ll never forget. I don’t know if I should name them mum, it’s just my word against theirs. What about other spectators, did anyone recognise either one of them?”

“(Sighing) No as soon as people started to appear they bolted. You were lucky though, they called an ambulance and then the police. You shouldn’t worry, tell the police all you know, and let them do their job. Just be honest Tomas, you’ve got nothing to lose.”

“Yeah, but then there’s school. If the cops nab those creeps, I’ll be targeted again for grassing them. I can’t handle any more unpleasantness mum, I’ve had enough.”

“(Choking back tears) Oh I understand Tomas, you’ve been through too much hated for a person so young. But you can’t let them get away with this. They have to be brought to account.”

“I suppose so (long pause) mum, I’m feeling sleepy, can I nod-off for a while and we’ll talk later?”

As he drifted off to sleep, Shirley went outside to wait for Colin Davis to arrive. From time to time she looked in on Tomas, but he was sleeping soundly. When her husband arrived, they went looking for the doctor, Matt.

After a short nap Tomas woke up; hunger pains told him he needed food and he asked the nurse. Whilst waiting, he began to think about what happened.

I can’t take any more, there must be something I can do, there must be someone to talk to, and there must be someone who understands my problems. I can’t talk to Ryan because he’s got the same troubles. I’ll never forget the look on Biffo’s and Cree’s face as they attacked me. Why? Why? WHY? If I hadn’t been caught with Alfred I wouldn’t have any problems. But . . . it happened, so what! We were just two mates enjoying each other’s bodies. SO WHAT! WHO CARES! We didn’t do anything wrong except getting caught. It’s just not fair, how can two boys enjoying their natural urges be wrong?? (Sigh) I’m labelled a fagott for the rest of me life, aren’t I? My parents must live with a child who’s been labelled something dirty. That’s where it’s all wrong. I’ve been blessed with wonderful parents and they’ve been saddled with a freak. There’s no point in me saying I’m not a problem when all I’ve done is give my folks grief. I love them, and even though I’m an abomination they still love me. There must be some way I can make it better for them, ease the pain and make them proud of me.

He was devouring some sandwiches when Ryan came to visit. Although some of the bandages were removed, Tomas still looked battered.

“(Ryan looked uncomfortable and jiggled from foot to foot) Wow, mate looks like they gave you a thorough working over; how d’ya feel?”

“G’day Ryan, thanks for coming by, I know it’s a bit outta your way; I was hoping to see you pal.”

“What do the doctors say, will you be alright?”

“Oh yeah, seems at our age we bounce back physically in no time at all. Whilst me body will mend, I’m afraid me head’s rat-shit. I keep reliving the nightmare Ryan, I can still see the look on Cree and Cradox’s faces as they assaulted me. I won’t ever forget it or them, ever.”

“Don’t blame you boyo, I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I hope those two get what they deserve. Have the cops been by? I hope yer gunna finger them, so’s they're put away fer a long time.”

‘(Short hesitation) I don’t know mate, it’d just be my voice against theirs and there’s two of them. And as soon as the cops find I’m a homo, I’m sure they’ll lose interest quick. Might even give the cunts a medal. It’s sorta hopeless Ryan. I’ve been thinking, and I reckon it’s just hopeless.”

Then the atmosphere changed. Tommo sat up and gripped Ryan’s arm savagely. His eyes radiated an intensity that was frightening. Ryan had never seen Tommo like this. And then these bitter words.

“(Intensely, starring at Ryan) Ryan I want you to promise me you’ll never, and I repeat never, tell anyone you’re a homo. I’m serious Ryan, don’t ever let anyone find out you’re a homo. Look what’s happened to me, my life is over, I’ll be castigated wherever I go. Promise me, as one blood brother to another, you’ll never admit being a fagott . . . promise me, please mate, promise me.”

It was a tense scenario; the boy in the bed was clutching the other boy frantically and clearly pleading. Ryan was taken aback with Tommo’s intensity, and it frightened him. Frightened him, not only with the fierceness of Tommo’s clasp but with the words spoken. For several long seconds, they stared at each other. Then,

‘I . . . I . . . don’t know if I can do that mate. At some time, I’ve gotta tell someone or I’ll go bust. I’ve already told a kid at school – well, we told each other – so I can’t undo that. But if it makes you happy, I promise not to tell anyone else. Is that good enough?”

“No, it’s not good enough! Remember me and how fucked up my life has become. I don’t want that to happen to you . . . I love you too much Ryan to see yourself in the same shit that I’m in. I don’t think I’ll ever recover from the attack. I just can’t allow it to happen again, and certainly not to you.”

“Ah, you’ll be Ok. As they say, time heals all woes including emotional stuff. Stay with it boyo, I here right by yer side.”

Tommo seemed to relax, and all the intensity drained out of him. He lay back down, seemingly exhausted, but still holding Ryan’s arm.

“(Deep sigh) I know brother, and I’m truly grateful. You’re the best mate a bloke can have.”

Ryan left shortly after but went away very concerned about the whole episode. He didn’t know how to process what had just happened.

The next day the same two coppers visited Tomas. After introductions, Sergeant Jock Malloy opened the questioning.

“You’ve been through a tough time laddie, I hope you’re feeling better now. (Tommo nodded). We just want to get your version of the ass . . .”

“Excuse me Sergeant, we met yesterday, and as I’m Tomas’s doctor I’d like to sit in on your interview. As you know, normally a parent is required to be present when a minor is interviewed. In the absence of the boy’s parents, I’d like to be present. Is that Ok?”

“Yes, of course Doctor, we don’t want to do anything that may prejudice the investigation. (Turning back to Tomas) Can you identify your attackers, please?”

“Y . . . y . . . yes, I can but (long pause) but I’m scared.”

“What are you scared of?”

“If I say their names, I’m probably gonna be attacked again as payback. I mean look what they did to me without cause, imagine what they’d do if I gave them reason to attack me.”

“The lad has a valid point Sergeant; can you give him protection if he supplies you with names?”

(Addressing both the doctor and Tomas) no we can’t, but if your info leads to a conviction, it won’t matter, you’ll be safe. That’s the best I can offer. Now speak up lad.”

“It’s (Turning to Matt) ok doctor, I really don’t mind. I need to tell someone so that the two assailants don’t do this to anyone else. (Deep breath) (Looking the Sergeant in the eye) It was Bert Cree and Martin Cradox who assaulted me. They’ve been hounding me for some time verbally, so bashing me was just then next step.”

“You say they’ve been harassing you for some time. What was this about? Did you do anything to force them into being violent?”

(Interrupting) You don’t have to answer that Tomas, at least not before you’ve talked to your parents.”

“Thank you Doctor, but I’m past caring anymore. (Turning to the Sergeant) You see sir, I’m a homosexual and they wanted me out of their school.”

This admission was followed by an awkward silence. A look of distaste featured on both officer’s faces. With Constable Julian Burrows this look turned into a sneer.

“I’d be careful son, being a homosexual is illegal, and if you made advances toward the boys named, they probably would be within their rights to beat you up. Did you ever . . .”

‘Excuse me Sergeant, but you’re wrong. It’s only illegal if a homosexual act is performed. Just simply being a homosexual is not a crime. (Turning to Tomas) Did you ever make inappropriate approaches to the two boys who beat you up?”

“No, I never did, nor would I. I’ll swear that on a stack of bibles. If they say I did, then they're lying, Sergeant.”

“I know you’re looking after the lad’s interest Doctor, but please allow me to conduct this interview and ask whatever questions I deem appropriate.”

“Have you ever indulged in homosexual activity Tomas? You must be . . .”

‘TOMAS! you don’t have to answer that, in fact, I’m advising you to say nothing. There’s no knowing what the police might do with any admission you make. I’m not happy with the way this interview is heading. All I’ve heard from you Sergeant is attempts to make Tomas the villain here, where, in fact, he’s the victim. I detect a prejudicial attitude towards my patient. Please . . .”

“HE MAKES ME SICK! Him and his kind are scum and, as the bible says, should be put to death. I congratulate the boys . . .”

“CONSTABLE SHUT IT! BELT UP! That’s inflammatory, and you could be disciplined. Let me handle the interview . . .”

“Why should I Sarge, THE LAWS ON MY SIDE! Just recently our Police Commissioner said that, if I can remember his exact words, ‘homosexuality is the greatest threat facing Australia and our way of life’. Why would we set about charging two normal lads for doing the law’s work for us? It’s plain he deserves all that he got . . . and more!”

“(The Sergeant groaned) Oh my god. Shut it, Julian!”

Matt was aghast. His temper was barely under control, but before he could respond, Tomas started to whimper which then became a pitiful wail. It was a dead sound that caused the hairs on Matt’s neck to rise. He’d had enough.

“Stop, stop this interview at once. In the interests of my patient's health, I want you out of here and take this disgraceful piece of humanity with you. GO . . . NOW! And by the way, there will be no further interviewing my patient unless he has appropriate legal representation with him. Oh, and by the way, I’m reporting your disgusting behaviour to the hospital administration.”

By then Tomas’s crying had given way to deep sobs. He was so distraught, they had to give him a sedative to ease his pain.

As any Gay man living in the 1950s will tell you, the cops were our biggest enemy.
Copyright © 2019 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..