Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 1,327 Words
  • 2,467 Views
  • 32 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Letter to Caitlyn Jenner - 1. Chapter 1 Letter to Caitlyn Jenner

I always try to look to the positive in people. Heroes come in many forms.

Letter to Caitlyn Jenner

 

 

Hello, Caitlyn. My name is Gary, and I find you fascinating. Not in a spectacle kind of way, but as a person. You intrigue me for many reasons. You are not much older than I am, so we have viewed a similar world in a similar sequence throughout our so-far lives. So, so much has changed since we were born. The huge scary world has become smaller, and much more transparent. I remember the fear when I realized I was different. It was almost paralyzing to think of myself as a sure-fire object of derision if I acknowledged that difference. I find myself wondering if it was the same for you.

I remember your picture being everywhere. You were this gorgeous physical specimen who oozed masculinity and confidence. An Olympic champion… a gold medal winner. In 1976, the year you won the decathlon, I was 22 years old, and hiding from myself. You were this God of a man on a Wheaties box, and I wouldn’t let myself be who I was. It turns out that man, you, were in a similar boat.

I won’t pretend to know your journey, or if you went through the torturous agony I did. Mine wasn’t a gender issue. Mine was about my sexuality. I, too, was a golden boy of sorts, and I felt the weight of expectations not my own. I wouldn’t accept being a gay man for many reasons. I had no gay acquaintances in my life, although I knew where gay areas were in my city. I can only imagine the isolation you must have felt.

I watched your interviews on television, the courageous ones where you tell us who you really are. I could read the emotions on your face as you talked. There was fear, but there was also a certain joy I identified with. The stepping over of the barrier that had held you back. I had a barrier too, and I remember that joy… and it wasn’t about other people at all. It was about accepting myself. Looking in the mirror, and liking, no, loving the person looking back at me… finally.

What did your mirror tell you for all those years? To look, and see someone staring back who didn’t belong there. I have no words. You were adored by millions, but you must have hated seeing a man in the mirror when you knew you were a woman. How utterly tragic that must have been. I don’t presume to know the feelings you carried around every day of your life, before Caitlyn, but I do know about needing to love and accept the person that reflects back at you.

You’re a dad, and from the sounds of it, a damn good one. So am I. I will never think of the first part of my life as wasted, and I would expect that on most levels, you don’t either. It has been my biggest blessing, and as agonized as I was at times, I wouldn’t change the course my life took if it meant not having my children.

It’s powerful, isn’t it, the moment you realize you can accept yourself? I don’t know when it happened for you… maybe you had an easier time of it. I ended up on the floor of a psychiatrist’s office writhing and making noises that defy description. I am not ashamed. I was slowly dying inside, and it was manifesting in health issues. If I didn’t do justice to the person God made me, my children were going to lose their father. I hope you had an easier time, but I would expect not. I am going to presume here that for you as well, there was a period or periods of self-hatred. Thank God it is a different world today.

I see the media circus that surrounds you, and I also see and hear the detractors, who insinuate this is all for the sake of notoriety and greed. A reality show is the supposed stimulus for you coming out to the world as transgendered. It shows how far our world hasn’t come. We all make our money in some way, and all the power to you if, on the way to setting an example for confused and terrified young people, you continue in your profession as a sometimes reality TV star. The important thing is the focus it brings to those who need a public example of who they are inside. It was a real turning point for gay people when we were able to see people who shared our sexuality, showing up on television and movie screens. I am going to presume again, and say that development probably saved many, many young lives. It helped me, in my own journey.

I found it amusing, when it was reported ‘some’ women’s groups had a problem with your photo shoot done in the style reminiscent of a pin-up model. My God, a sixty-five year old woman being objectified. How horrifying. It was laughable. When you and I were growing up, pin-up models were the beauty standard of the day. I saw it as only fitting you were able to see and present yourself in such a liberating way, and I must say I thought you looked stunning. You are finally the beautiful woman on the outside that you were on the inside. I hope you felt truly empowered the day the world watched you.

Some time has passed since Caitlin was introduced to the world, and I still see the professionally veiled, politically correct comments followed by the implied eye-rolls from the news anchors and entertainment hosts, but never mind them. They have to mind their p’s and q’s, even if they struggle to, because there are enough good people in the world to police bigoted behavior. I sadly believe it will never completely disappear, but shoving it in their face has some benefits. You are doing something good and positive by having the guts to be yourself, and I applaud you.

For those who said you didn’t deserve the Arthur Ashe ESPY award for courage, I say, how quickly they forget what you did as an Olympian while struggling with gender issues. I would say you displayed true courage, and overcame personal anguish to give your country an incredible moment in sports that will live on in history. Your acceptance speech was about the plight of others. You drew attention to the pain, suffering, bullying and suicides of transgendered youth, and deflected it away from yourself. You made me cry a deep cleansing kind of cry, making me feel hope there was a new, more positive direction for these kids to take. I wish all will take the time to listen to the message you delivered, and really hear it.

Caitlyn, you know there will always be naysayers who don’t look much past their own lives, and all we can do is feel sorry for them. They don’t get it… not because they can’t, but because they have no desire to. You’re in the spotlight now, and I hope you hold onto it for the benefit of those who need to witness your strength, and determination to prevail and come through the other side of a lifelong struggle. Who knows… your story may fade away in a few years as the world gloms on to other things, but for me, the impact you’ve had, will not. I don’t have many modern day heroes, but I have to tell you with certainty, you are one of them. I will always remember the beautiful Bruce, but I can be happy he is now a memory because it means the beautiful Caitlin has come out of the shadows, and into her own.

Much love, thanks, and respect for the example you have given us, and the spotlight you have shined on a desperate situation… Gary.

Be kind to your fellow man.
Copyright © 2015 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



  • Site Administrator

Great letter, Gary. I think it said everything perfectly. :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/30/2015 06:00 AM, Caz Pedroso said:

Very Moving :heart:

Thank you very much, Caz. I hate to see her ridiculed and have her motives questioned. We all have our own journeys. Cheers... Gary

Link to comment
On 07/30/2015 06:02 AM, Valkyrie said:

Great letter, Gary. I think it said everything perfectly. :hug:

Thanks, Val. It felt like something I needed to do... for me. She'll never read it, but I'm glad I sat down and wrote her a tribute. Cheers... Gary

Link to comment
On 07/30/2015 06:17 AM, Drew Espinosa said:

Wow Gary this letter is really beautiful :hug::kiss:

Thank you, Drew... I'm pleased you reviewed. We need these brave people in the world, and that's not to say she's perfect... but she is accomplishing wonderful things by putting herself out there. I'm happy you found the letter beautiful... cheers, buddy... Gary...

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Oh Gary, that was beyond beautiful...
A friend of mine who is in his 50s followed the same path as you did. He doesn't talk about it much, but your letter has helped me understand some of what he likely had to go through.
Thank you for sharing the letter with us, it means a lot that you did. ​ :):heart::)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

'Be kind to your fellow man.' (and woman)

 

Gary - that letter was so heartfelt it brought tears to my eyes. I think there are so many people who just take for granted their sexuality and gender, never realizing people of all ages, young kids, teenagers, young adults, etc., can be suffering every day because of this.

 

I think you should try to send it to Caitlyn. What could it hurt? I think she'd be so pleased to get such a positive, supportive letter. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/30/2015 07:20 AM, Reader1810 said:

Oh Gary, that was beyond beautiful...

A friend of mine who is in his 50s followed the same path as you did. He doesn't talk about it much, but your letter has helped me understand some of what he likely had to go through.

Thank you for sharing the letter with us, it means a lot that you did. ​ :):heart::)

Thanks, Reader. It wasn't an easy path, but then they seldom are. If this helps you understand your friend better, then that is a great bonus to me. I figured if Caitlyn can be vulnerable, so can I. I'm pleased you thought my letter beautiful...I really appreciate this... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 07/30/2015 07:28 AM, Lisa said:

'Be kind to your fellow man.' (and woman)

 

Gary - that letter was so heartfelt it brought tears to my eyes. I think there are so many people who just take for granted their sexuality and gender, never realizing people of all ages, young kids, teenagers, young adults, etc., can be suffering every day because of this.

 

I think you should try to send it to Caitlyn. What could it hurt? I think she'd be so pleased to get such a positive, supportive letter. :)

Thank you, Lisa. The 'woman' was implied lol. I wasn't sure I was going to post this when I finished it, but now I'm really glad I did. Mine and Caitlyn's generation had it differently, and we had to make some very difficult choices. It still isn't easy for the youth of today. Young people can face some very cruel peers... I think Caitlyn's bravery helps with this... and I may try to send this to her... thank you, Lisa... Cheers... Gary

Link to comment
On 07/30/2015 07:50 AM, dughlas said:

Beautiful in its honesty ... gracious in its respect ...

Thank you for this review, dugh. I'm glad you recognize the honesty of this... I wanted to pay tribute to someone I truly respect, so I appreciate your words... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment

An excellent, very well written letter. I agree with Lisa...you should send this to Caitlynn.
Being the age I am, and straight, I feel so very sorry for the pain gays and transgendered people suffered during the "hating" decades of the nineteen hundreds! With the Supreme Court legalizing gay marriage, the next step is to stop the bigoted right-wing religionists!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/30/2015 08:47 AM, Coastguard said:

An excellent, very well written letter. I agree with Lisa...you should send this to Caitlynn.

Being the age I am, and straight, I feel so very sorry for the pain gays and transgendered people suffered during the "hating" decades of the nineteen hundreds! With the Supreme Court legalizing gay marriage, the next step is to stop the bigoted right-wing religionists!

Thank you, Coastguard, for such an encouraging review. I might just try to send it to her after all. For most of us, it has been a trying journey, and without being too dramatic, many of us died because of how we were born. Whenever I see someone like Caitlyn, it gives me hope. It has been a game of inches. Once again, thank you... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment

I feel as if you were reading my own mind at points, and saying things I've been unable to put into words.

 

Several years ago I dated an individual, a young and unashamed young woman who had suffered the misfortune of being born in a body that didn't match her. She struggled through a great deal of pain and misery as she tried to get her parents and friends to understand what she was going through. There were certainly periods where those of us that were close to her began to worry that she was one step away from choosing to end it all, but in the end she persevered and made it through the other side.

 

I can empathize with the pain of not being true to yourself, and I had front row seats to what it means to not fit the body you were born into. I'm truly grateful for people like Miss Jenner who will make the world a little easier for those we know who are still hiding in the shadows, too afraid to be who they are because the world will hurt them. One day they will be free.

 

And I'm grateful to you for backing it up with such fervor and passion, and letting us all feel even more connected. This isn't just a trans issue; it is a human one, and the sooner the naysayers understand this, there will be peace.

 

Thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/30/2015 09:34 AM, Cynus said:

I feel as if you were reading my own mind at points, and saying things I've been unable to put into words.

 

Several years ago I dated an individual, a young and unashamed young woman who had suffered the misfortune of being born in a body that didn't match her. She struggled through a great deal of pain and misery as she tried to get her parents and friends to understand what she was going through. There were certainly periods where those of us that were close to her began to worry that she was one step away from choosing to end it all, but in the end she persevered and made it through the other side.

 

I can empathize with the pain of not being true to yourself, and I had front row seats to what it means to not fit the body you were born into. I'm truly grateful for people like Miss Jenner who will make the world a little easier for those we know who are still hiding in the shadows, too afraid to be who they are because the world will hurt them. One day they will be free.

 

And I'm grateful to you for backing it up with such fervor and passion, and letting us all feel even more connected. This isn't just a trans issue; it is a human one, and the sooner the naysayers understand this, there will be peace.

 

Thank you.

You are so right that this is a human issue. I too count transgendered and transvestite people as friends. I have learned a lot through them. There is another level of tragedy to some of their stories. Thanking for sharing some of your experience with me. I'm glad your friend found the courage she needed. I feel Caitlyn is to be honored, not ridiculed...she represents a group of people who need her front and center to give them strength to face their own struggles. Thanks so much for this review... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 07/30/2015 02:00 PM, EagleIsaac said:

A letter worthy of your kind and generous heart and Caitlin's courage. Well done Gary.

Thanks, Eagle. You are too kind. Caitlin's courage is to be admired, and serve as a beacon to those youth who struggle with their gender identity. One of the greatest athletes of all time is one of them, and that has to carry a lot of power to those who need the example. I truly resent her being the butt of jokes. I, for one, honor her... thanks for commenting Eagle... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment

Hugs, Gary from everyone who will ever have the blessing of reading this letter;to such a beautiful soul...YOU......................... :heart:Mike

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I confess going into this, that I had no clue who you were talking about, but at the mention of the 76 Olympics, I was wracking my brain to remember anyone by that name, and Bruce Jenner was the only one I could come up with--surely not the same person.

 

It's surprising what you can miss if you don't follow social media...I have always detested daytime tv and it's ridiculous 'reality' shows; what isn't made up stunts is intrusive invasion of privacy. I don't give a crap about what 'stars' or 'celebrities' do, and care even less about their opinions. Being famous is no sign of a special wisdom or road to happiness--it just means they had a talent they could exploit to become rich. So what? You're just another person under all that, and your views are no more valid than mine...get over yourself, as the saying goes.

 

I don't understand the struggle of those who feel they are the wrong sex, but I do understand their struggle to be themselves and how their peers will feel once their secret is out. It is a shame that our world is the way it is...despite some advances toward equality, the first instinct has been, and I think always will be, to attack that which is different. I venture to suggest that this is hard-wired into our genes as a means to preserve the species, but a good deal on top of that is learned behavior, which we can change.

 

Say whatever you will, no one person is more important than another, our importance lies in the number of those who love us and respect us as we are: mother, father, sibling...friend. The goal of life is to make the way easier for others in any way you can, by lending a sympathetic ear, or by supporting and defending those who need your help against those who would be unkind.

 

Gary is just one of many at GA who exemplifies the best that human nature can be, and he has shown it once more in this letter to a fellow spirit who has a struggle to fight. To anyone who is trying to live their life the way they think it should be, I'm with you!

 

To those who think it is their business to drag others down to their level of mediocrity and intolerance--FUCK OFF.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

That was lovely. :wub:
Like ColumbusGuy, I had no idea who Caitlyn Jenner was until I went to my usual source of information (husband). It really is a beautifully written letter. I hope she gets to read it someday.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

this letter was really touching Gary. Caitlyn achievements before her accepting herself and transition have inspired me to achieve something in my life and follow my dreams. my mom says that people always try to go out of their way to be mean and insulting to those persons they are jealous of. I may not be from the 1900's but being from a country where you can go to jail for sex with a person of same gender, I do understand a little bit of what the LGBTQ+ people during that era might have felt. if you haven't sent this letter to Caitlyn, then you should consider doing so :yes: . it was a beautifully thought and written letter Gary ^_^ and thank you for sharing it with us :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/30/2015 07:42 PM, flamingo136 said:

Hugs, Gary from everyone who will ever have the blessing of reading this letter;to such a beautiful soul...YOU......................... :heart:Mike

Thanks, Mike... that's really sweet of you to say. You made my day. I just think Caitlyn deserves a lot of credit, not ridicule... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 07/30/2015 08:28 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

I confess going into this, that I had no clue who you were talking about, but at the mention of the 76 Olympics, I was wracking my brain to remember anyone by that name, and Bruce Jenner was the only one I could come up with--surely not the same person.

 

It's surprising what you can miss if you don't follow social media...I have always detested daytime tv and it's ridiculous 'reality' shows; what isn't made up stunts is intrusive invasion of privacy. I don't give a crap about what 'stars' or 'celebrities' do, and care even less about their opinions. Being famous is no sign of a special wisdom or road to happiness--it just means they had a talent they could exploit to become rich. So what? You're just another person under all that, and your views are no more valid than mine...get over yourself, as the saying goes.

 

I don't understand the struggle of those who feel they are the wrong sex, but I do understand their struggle to be themselves and how their peers will feel once their secret is out. It is a shame that our world is the way it is...despite some advances toward equality, the first instinct has been, and I think always will be, to attack that which is different. I venture to suggest that this is hard-wired into our genes as a means to preserve the species, but a good deal on top of that is learned behavior, which we can change.

 

Say whatever you will, no one person is more important than another, our importance lies in the number of those who love us and respect us as we are: mother, father, sibling...friend. The goal of life is to make the way easier for others in any way you can, by lending a sympathetic ear, or by supporting and defending those who need your help against those who would be unkind.

 

Gary is just one of many at GA who exemplifies the best that human nature can be, and he has shown it once more in this letter to a fellow spirit who has a struggle to fight. To anyone who is trying to live their life the way they think it should be, I'm with you!

 

To those who think it is their business to drag others down to their level of mediocrity and intolerance--FUCK OFF.

Thanks, CG. I love it when you are being you! Your last line is perfect... couldn't say it any better than that. Your opinion matters to me, so thank you for saying such nice things about me... we are good people on this site... thanks for reviewing, Buddy... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 07/30/2015 09:21 PM, impunity said:

That was lovely. :wub:

Like ColumbusGuy, I had no idea who Caitlyn Jenner was until I went to my usual source of information (husband). It really is a beautifully written letter. I hope she gets to read it someday.

Thanks, Impunity. As I said to others, I may try to send it to her. I get frustrated sometimes with the unfairness of some people, and I needed to reach out, at least in spirit. I appreciate your lovely comments, and I thank you for the review... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..