Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dani the Hero - 9. Chapter 9

Daniele spent most of Friday worrying about the dangerous mission Giacomo was about to undertake for Ettore. At school, he tried not to let his anxiety show, but by the time they finally parted at the gates in the afternoon he was unable to restrain himself any longer.

Once they had said goodbye to Emilia, Daniele followed Giacomo round the corner and caught him by the arm before he could set off up the steep steps for home.

“What’s up, Dani?” Giacomo asked.

“I’m worried about tonight,” Daniele replied.

Giacomo smiled slightly. “I know. I told you, I’ll be careful.”

“It’s supposed to be my birthday party tomorrow,” Daniele mumbled, “but now I don’t even know if you’re going to make it there in one piece.”

Giacomo nodded. “Right… sorry, Dani.”

Daniele shrugged miserably.

Giacomo placed an encouraging hand on Daniele’s shoulder. “Look,” he said, “I’ll try to let you know how it went. Will that help?”

“Yes,” Daniele replied earnestly. “Yes, it totally would.”

Daniele couldn’t honestly see how the other boy would be able to tell him anything until the next morning, but he left for home feeling slightly more cheerful all the same.

His brighter mood didn’t last for long. As usual, the house was empty when he got home. As he stepped into the shower, his worries returned in force as he imagined all types of unfortunate fates befalling his friend. He pictured Giacomo being chased, hurt, caught and apprehended by… someone, and perhaps held responsible for the whole thing. Daniele didn’t know who was doing the chasing; in his imaginings, it was always just some vague, shadowy figure of threat.

The evenings had been drawing out steadily over the last few weeks as they rolled headlong towards the summer. Daniele supposed that Giacomo’s mission, whatever it was, wouldn’t take place until after dark. All the same, he listened out anxiously throughout a listless dinner and into the late evening, hoping for a tell-tale sound or signal.

After a while, Daniele grew tired of hanging around the empty house on his own, and he retired to his bedroom early. Climbing into his bed in his vest top and underpants, he attempted to read a book. At one point, he heard a muffled clatter and perked up hopefully, but it was only his mother arriving home from work. He climbed out of bed and slipped through to the kitchen diner to greet her.

“Ciao, caro,” she smiled tiredly, taking off her uniform jacket. “You’re still up?”

Daniele nodded. “I don’t feel sleepy yet.”

“You’re looking forward to tomorrow, I expect,” she replied. “Hopefully your father will be home soon, and then we can all get some rest.”

Daniele hugged her. “Buonanotte, Mamma.”

Buonanotte, tesoro,” she said gently. “I can’t quite believe that, the next time I see you, you’ll be thirteen.”

Daniele offered her a weak smile and then retreated to the privacy of his bedroom once again. He was still awake half an hour later when he heard his father returning home, followed by the familiar, indistinct but reassuring drone of their voices as they talked to each other next door.

Daniele glanced at his alarm clock. It was already eleven o’clock, and there had still been no word from Giacomo. Reluctantly, Daniele gave up waiting and decided to get some sleep. He was just reaching to turn off his bedside light when he thought he heard a quiet tap at the window that opened onto the sun terrace.

Daniele leapt out of bed and, as quietly as he could, pulled back the shutters from the window. Relief washed over him in a wave as he saw Giacomo standing there, apparently unharmed. Giacomo placed a finger over his lips and waved.

Daniele opened the window, leant out and pulled the other boy into a fierce hug.

“Chill out, Dani, you’re barely dressed,” Giacomo whispered.

Embarrassed, Daniele pulled back, but then he stared at Giacomo. The other boy was giggling silently. He didn’t see how he could possibly laugh at a time like this.

“Are you okay?” Daniele whispered back.

“I’m fine,” Giacomo hissed, “nobody saw me.”

“What did you have to do?”

“The guys were going after the butcher’s shop near the Carabinieri station. They needed me to lure the police away.”

“How did you do that?”

Giacomo gave him a shamefaced smile. “I managed to set off a bunch of car alarms a couple of streets away. But then – this is the weird part –” he hesitated.

“What?” Daniele pressed.

“Something went wrong. They never got to finish the attack. I was under the palazzo ruins, heading back up to the square, when they both came running past me.”

“Was anyone chasing them?”

Giacomo shook his head. “Not by then. I found them hiding among the crowds in the square. Antonio said there were two guys lying in wait for them, like they already knew the attack was going to happen.”

Daniele frowned. “Who was it?”

Giacomo shrugged. “Antonio said they had their faces covered.”

“Well… I’m glad you’re okay,” Daniele said.

“I’m cool.” Giacomo grinned. “And it’s party time tomorrow.”

He extended a fist for Daniele to bump.

“I’d better go,” Giacomo whispered, once the ritual was concluded. “’night, Dani.”

Daniele nodded. “Ciao, Giaco. Thanks for coming to tell me.”

Giacomo flashed him one more smile and then stole away across the terrace. Daniele carefully closed the window and the shutters and returned to his bed. He turned the light out and lay back on his pillows, the day’s accumulated tension slowly draining away.

Daniele sighed with relief. Giacomo was all right – at least for now. Maybe he could finally start looking forward to the day to come.

And, with that thought, he went to sleep.

* * *

In the morning, Daniele woke a little later than usual thanks to his late night the evening before. He opened his eyes slowly and stared at the ceiling for a while.

Thirteen.

Somehow, he had imagined that he would feel different, but he felt just the same inside. Nothing seemed any clearer than it had the night before, and he felt no more grown-up.

Daniele slipped out of bed and shuffled over to his wardrobe. His reflection didn’t look any different, either: still the same skinny limbs and tousled bed head, peering back at him with those bright blue eyes. He ran a hand through his untidy blond hair: maybe one day it would begin to thicken and darken, but right now it still felt like a child’s hair.

Because it was meant to be a special day, Daniele decided that another shower wouldn’t hurt. He made his way to the bathroom and washed thoroughly, before returning to his room and throwing on some ordinary clothes. He would change for the party later.

He could hear voices again, coming from the kitchen diner: his parents must both be up already. It was time to go and face the music.

Buongiorno, sleepyhead,” Paolo said cheerfully as soon as Daniele stepped through the door. “Can you believe it? A teenager for five minutes and he’s already sleeping late in the mornings.”

Patrizia chuckled. “Happy birthday, tesoro,” she said.

Paolo nodded. “Auguri, champ.”

They were both seated at the table, drinking coffee. In the middle of the table, a fresh breakfast sponge cake had been sliced and dusted with icing sugar, and there was a large pitcher of freshly squeezed orange juice. At the other end of the table, a small pile of brightly wrapped presents caught Daniele’s eye.

“Thanks,” Daniele replied, going to hug each of his parents in turn. Patrizia threw in a kiss on each cheek for good luck.

“Have some breakfast, caro,” Patrizia said, passing Daniele the platter of cake as he sat down at the place that had been set for him. He helped himself to two large slices and reached for the pitcher of juice, all the while casting furtive glances towards the presents at the far end of the table.

“All in good time, champ,” Paolo said, ruffling his damp hair. Daniele shot him a reproachful look as he brushed it back into place.

“Oops, teenage faux pas,” Paolo chuckled. “Sorry.”

“Is everything okay for later?” Daniele asked.

Paolo nodded. “Everything’s set. We booked the extra table, like we said, and we’ve got the place for two hours. After that, you’ll be free to go out with your friends, if you want to.”

Daniele nodded. “Thanks, Papà.”

Daniele tucked into the breakfast sponge, which was light, mild and sweet, and sipped on the tangy orange juice. The pile of presents continued to call to him, but he tried his best to be patient as he chatted to his parents.

When they had eaten their fill, the dishes were cleared away and Daniele helped his parents to wash up. Once everything was squared away, it was finally time for Daniele to open his gifts.

“These are just the things we’ve got for you,” Patrizia explained as Daniele sat down next to the small pile of parcels, his eyes roving hungrily over the colourful wrappings. “I’m sure there’ll be a few more later on.”

Daniele counted five presents, and that was plenty to be getting on with for the moment. He started by unwrapping a chunky oblong one, and cheered as he revealed a DVD set of Marvel superhero films: the very same set, in fact, that he had once thought about buying for Toto.

“Never too late to start your collection,” Paolo chuckled.

Next, Daniele opted for a big squashy one that was tied up with a pink ribbon. He undid the ribbon and let it fall to one side, then ripped open the paper. His mouth formed an ‘o’ of surprise as he pulled out a smart pair of indigo, skinny-fit jeans and a stylish shirt in navy blue with a broad checked pattern. He stood at once to hold them up against himself.

“We know how much you love your colours,” Patrizia explained, “but we thought you might like something different to wear for your party today.”

“They’re great!” Daniele replied. “Thanks, Mamma.”

The third present turned out to be digital camera. Daniele turned it over in his hands with interest, imagining all the ways he could put it to use.

“We thought your friend Claudia could give you a few pointers about this one,” Paolo said. “Take it along with you today – I’m sure she’d be interested to see it.”

Next, Daniele opened the smallest parcel. A fabric wallet slid out onto the table, monogrammed with his initials, D.F.

“Open it,” Patrizia smiled.

Curiously, Daniele opened the wallet. He saw a few banknotes inside, and then his heart lurched as he caught sight of the end of a bank card poking out of the card holder.

“We’ve opened an account for you,” Patrizia explained. “There isn’t much in there just yet, but we think you’re old enough to manage your own money on a regular allowance without having to come to us all the time.”

“Thanks,” Daniele breathed, turning the card over in his hands. The golden chip glinted in the glare from the overhead lights.

Paolo pushed the final, and largest, parcel towards him.

“Patrizia and I talked at some length about this one,” he explained. “You’re only thirteen, and we weren’t sure whether it was the right time. But we trust you, Daniele, and we know how much your writing means to you.”

His curiosity firmly piqued, Daniele tore the wrapping paper from the parcel. Opening the cardboard box inside, his mouth fell open as he found himself looking at a basic, but fully functional, laptop computer.

“Thanks…” he choked, staring from one parent to the other. He wondered how hard they had saved up to afford this.

“It’s not super high-tech,” Patrizia said apologetically. “You won’t be able to run all the latest videogames, but you’ll be able to write your stories and edit them without getting through all that paper.”

Daniele shook his head; he had hardly ever had the chance to play videogames anyway, and he had never missed it. “Seriously… this is really epic,” he breathed.

“You deserve it, champ,” Paolo said firmly.

Daniele got to his feet, overwhelmed, and found tears forming at the corners of his eyes. Partly it was the presents, but partly it was the conviction with which his father had just spoken. There was pride, but there was also shame, because of the lies the last few weeks had forced him to tell.

“What’s wrong, caro?” Patrizia asked, her voice suddenly concerned.

“Nothing, Mamma…” Daniele replied. “I just… I think this might turn out to be the best birthday ever.”

* * *

Daniele spent the morning trying out his new gadgets. While he charged up the digital camera, he set up the laptop computer in his bedroom, where he had a go at typing up the first chapter of Foul Filippo and the Swifts. It was slow going at first, but he soon got the hang of it. After an hour or two, he took the camera and had a go at taking photos around the house. He persuaded Patrizia and Paolo to make a variety of silly faces and took a few fairly shambolic selfies. He wandered to the windows and took snapshots of the view down to the sun-drenched coast, then turned his attention to closer details, experimenting with the zoom as he focused in on individual buildings, lamps or trees.

As lunchtime approached, Daniele began to get impatient to move on to the next part of his day and spend some time with his friends. He changed into his new clothes and padded about his room in them, trying to get used to the tight and heavy feel of the skinny jeans. Consulting his reflection in the mirror, he decided he looked pretty good.

Forty minutes before the party was due to start, his parents relented and agreed to leave early, partly to make sure they arrived before the guests, but also perhaps because they were tiring of watching their thirteen-year-old son pace about the house like the world’s gentlest captive lion.

For Daniele, the occasion felt highly significant: it was the first birthday party in many years where he would be joined by friends his own age, and he was desperate for it to go well. He was also troubled by the thought of bringing Giacomo and Toto together: would they really be able get along, knowing Giacomo’s connection to Ettore’s scheme? As such, it was with a mix of anxiety and relief that he allowed himself to be led out of the house and up the steps towards town.

The pizzeria Daniele had chosen lay close to the cathedral square, just off the avenue of oleanders that led up to the Toro. They arrived a quarter of an hour early, but the tables were already set up and they were ushered straight to their seats by one of the waiters. Paolo had brought a large carrier bag to receive any extra presents, while Daniele had brought his camera in its protective case, which he could just about squeeze into his jeans pocket if he was careful.

The dining terrace wrapped around a small garden with a neat lawn and colourful flower borders. The three tables that had been reserved for them had been set up in a corner slightly separate from the rest, festooned with bunches of colourful helium balloons. A rustic roof screen sheltered them from the fierce midday sun, which lit up the rest of the garden in vivid shades of green, red, white and pink. A couple of stray cats lurked in the shade of the shrubs, hoping for scraps.

Daniele took up his position on the centre table and waited impatiently for his guests, while his parents sat down at one of the tables nearby.

Angelo and Gianni were first to arrive. They strolled in side by side and presented Daniele with a parcel and an envelope.

Auguri, Dani,” Angelo grinned as Daniele took the gifts.

“Many happy returns,” Gianni added.

“Thanks, guys,” Daniele replied. Glancing at his parents, he asked, “can I open them now?”

Patrizia inclined her head, and Daniele set to work at once. Sliding open the envelope first, he pulled out a home-made birthday card that Gianni must have drawn himself. It featured a silhouette of a young boy holding hands with two older boys, against the familiar sketched backdrop of the cathedral.

“I was inspired by the story of how you helped Toto and Michele get together,” Gianni explained with a smile.

“It’s awesome,” Daniele replied. “Thanks, Gianni.”

“Open the present, then,” Angelo pressed.

The parcel was soft and flat. Wondering what on Earth they could have bought for him, Daniele tore off the wrapping paper and revealed a tie-dye t-shirt in an eye-catching spiral of vivid rainbow colours. He giggled at the sight of it.

“I know, it’s not original,” Gianni explained with a self-effacing smile, “but we thought… if you ever got tired of the usual pastel colours, and fancied an upgrade…”

Daniele grinned up at them. “Thanks,” he said.

Angelo bowed cheekily at him and then they moved to join Patrizia and Paolo at the adults’ table. Paolo passed Daniele the carrier bag, and he carefully placed the colourful t-shirt inside it.

Toto and Michele arrived next. They rolled in together, both wearing check shirts and jeans, and were followed by Claudia, who was wearing a figure-hugging red check blouse and smart casual trousers. As usual, her expensive camera was hanging from her neck. As she caught Daniele’s gaze, she closed one dark eye in a teasing wink.

“Ciao, Dani,” Michele said. “You’re looking smart.”

“Thanks,” Daniele replied.

“Happy birthday,” Toto grinned.

“I wasn’t sure you’d want to come,” Daniele said. “With everything that’s happened…”

Toto waved this away. “Hey,” he replied. “I know it’s been a strange few weeks… but did you really think I’d miss your birthday because of that?”

Daniele smiled. “Thanks, Toto.”

Circling round behind him, Claudia enfolded a discomfited Daniele in a playful hug and smacked a kiss on his cheek. “Auguri, handsome,” she added, releasing him and joining the others, smirking mercilessly.

They had each brought Daniele a separate gift. Michele had produced a deodorant and shower gel gift set, while Claudia’s present turned out to be a book on photography packed with useful tips and colourful illustrations.

“I heard a rumour you were getting a camera,” she admitted with a smile.

True to form, Toto’s gift was the silliest of the three: a posable Spider-Man action figure with an oversized head.

“Thanks, guys,” Daniele grinned again, making Spider-Man wave at them.

“Where are the guests of honour, Dani?” Toto asked, glancing about the terrace as if Giacomo and Emilia might spontaneously emerge from the shrubs at any moment.

“They’ll be here soon, I hope,” Daniele replied.

The three teenagers greeted the adults and then took a seat at the third table. It wasn’t long before Emilia arrived. Dressed simply in a white blouse and a pair of denim shorts, she was dropped off in the street outside by a pleasant-looking couple whom Daniele took to be her parents. They were peering through the door with interest; perhaps curiosity had got the better of them. Daniele favoured them with a wave as Emilia handed him a neatly wrapped package.

“Careful,” she said, “it’s fragile.”

Daniele unwrapped the parcel and pulled out a handmade picture frame that Emilia had decorated beautifully with a symmetrical pattern of different pasta shapes. She had only had a few days to produce a present, Daniele realised, and she had obviously spent quite some time working on it. He took care to admire it fully.

“This is brilliant,” Daniele said sincerely, “thanks, Emilia!”

“I thought maybe you could put a photo of the three of us in it,” Emilia replied. Looking slightly pink, she turned to greet Daniele’s parents.

“You must be Emilia,” Patrizia said warmly. “We’re pleased to meet you.”

Buongiorno, signora Ferrero,” Emilia replied. “Pleased to meet you too.”

Paolo returned the greeting and invited Emilia to join Daniele at the centre table. She slid into the chair next to him, not quite looking him in the eye.

Giacomo didn’t keep them waiting for long. He sauntered in a few moments later, apparently completely unfazed as the eyes of all the assembled guests fell on him. Unlike the others, he had not dressed up specially, but was looking as sharp as usual in his trendy clothes.

Daniele lit up as he arrived. “Ciao, Giaco!” he called; Emilia echoed the greeting.

“Happy birthday, Dani,” Giacomo grinned, handing Daniele a soft, bulky, parcel. “Sorry it’s second hand. I didn’t have time to buy anything new for you.”

Curiously, Daniele unwrapped the package, and then laughed as he found himself holding the same denim shirt, shorts and stripy t-shirt that the other boy had first persuaded him to try on a few weeks ago.

“Thanks, Giaco,” he said. “Are you sure you want me to have these?”

Giacomo shrugged. “They looked good on you, and I have plenty more.”

Daniele caught Toto’s eye at that point. Looking playfully back at him, the older boy mouthed “They looked good on you?”. Daniele offered him an awkward smile in return.

Giacomo had already gone to greet Daniele’s parents, and now he crossed the terrace to speak to the others.

Buongiorno, Toto,” Giacomo said, offering the older boy his hand in a strangely formal manner. “I was sorry to hear about your father’s shop.”

Toto shook the proffered hand curiously. “Thanks, Giacomo,” he replied. “It’s good to finally meet you.”

Toto and Michele exchanged a few whispered words with Claudia as Giacomo rejoined Daniele and Emilia and took his seat at the table. Daniele stared at him, awed by his nerve. The dark-eyed boy grinned mischievously.

“Watch out, Dani,” he whispered. “You’re catching flies.”

Daniele closed his mouth abruptly. Giacomo reached across the table and tugged at Daniele’s sleeve, testing its feel.

“Nice shirt, by the way,” he added.

“Thanks,” Daniele replied blankly.

With the introductions and greetings out of the way, some of Daniele’s earlier anxieties began to leave him and they were free to get down to the serious business of choosing their meals. Soon, Daniele was sipping on a cold and fizzy Lemon Soda while contemplating the pizza menu and secretly eyeing up the desserts. Around him, the other guests chatted in their small groups, occasionally raising their voices a little to exchange news or jokes with the far table.

“Say, Claudia,” Angelo called across at one point. “When are you going to bring home a boyfriend?” He grinned. “Unless you and Isabella…”

Claudia glared across the terrace. “Don’t even go there, Angelo,” she warned.

“Claudia likes gay boys the best, Angelo,” Toto chipped in. “Didn’t you know that?”

There was a brief melee at the older teens’ table, which ended with Toto in a headlock. Michele looked on with amused interest as Toto raised his hands in submission.

“Okay, Claudia, I’ll behave myself,” he gasped.

Claudia released Toto and folded her arms, looking satisfied.

Angelo turned to Gianni. “What do you think, G.?” he asked.

Gianni smirked. “I’m saying nothing.”

Daniele’s group sat in the middle of all this, the centre of attention in some respects, but slightly apart in others thanks to the natural gulf between age groups. In the past, Daniele would have been trying his best to join in with the adults’ conversation; he found he didn’t mind the slight detachment that he felt now, so happy was he to be sharing a table with his new friends. Exchanging an amused look with Giacomo and Emilia, he settled back in his chair, listening to the banter volleying back and forth.

Toto and Michele had got to arguing about James Bond movies.

“I’m telling you, you can’t beat Connery,” Michele said.

Toto rolled his eyes. “His movies are so dated, though,” he replied, “and his treatment of women…”

“Are you going all feminist on me, Toto?” Claudia interjected, raising an eyebrow.

“That scene with Pussy Galore in the barn…” Toto shuddered. “Give me Daniel Craig any day. He has an arc.

“But Bond is meant to be a dinosaur,” Michele insisted. “And I dunno. A blond Bond with blue eyes?”

All three teenagers’ attention suddenly fell on Daniele.

“What?” Daniele asked.

“Patrizia,” Toto ventured, “is there something you’re not telling us?”

Patrizia almost choked on her glass of mineral water. “Toto!” she exclaimed in shock.

There was laughter at both tables.

“Do we need to take this outside, ragazzo?” Paolo shot back with good humour.

“Hey, Daniele could totally carry off a tux,” Claudia declared. “We’ve got to make that happen. I’ll do a photo-shoot.”

“Ah, c’mon Claudia…” Daniele protested, to further chuckles from the surrounding tables.

Why does the birthday boy always get picked on?

Giacomo snickered. “I’d pay to see that, Dani,” he said quietly. “Maybe Emilia could be your Bond girl.”

Emilia flushed and punched him hard on the arm. “Hey!”

“Ow!” Giacomo yelped. He nursed the injury, still laughing quietly.

When the food arrived, Giacomo wasted no time getting stuck in. He had ordered a pizza loaded with extra cheese, and he soon had strings of finest Fior di Latte mozzarella trailing down his chin.

“Giacomo, you’re eating like a dog,” Emilia said.

“Yeah, but I’m hungry,” Giacomo explained, his dark eyes gleaming with enthusiasm.

Emilia had ordered a vegetarian pizza with artichokes, capers and olives. Unlike Giacomo, she was using a knife and fork and was eating with a much more dignified, neat and tidy air. Daniele had ordered a traditional anchovy pizza, and his approach to it was somewhere in between, eating by hand but with a little less of Giacomo’s reckless abandon. At the adjoining tables, the conversation was now interspersed with quiet eating.

“When’s your birthday, Giaco?” Daniele asked.

“Not until July,” the other boy replied around a mouthful of pizza.

Emilia rolled her eyes. “We can tell,” she said.

Daniele snickered. “What about you, Emilia?”

“I’ve been thirteen since December,” she replied.

“Do you feel any more grown-up since then?” Daniele asked. “I didn’t feel any different this morning.”

Emilia smirked. “It depends. I feel pretty grown-up when I’m around him,” she replied, gesturing at Giacomo.

“Growing up is overrated,” Giacomo said casually. Exchanging a grin with him, Daniele had to agree.

“Such a boy thing to say,” Emilia sighed.

“Says the girl who only hangs around with boys,” Giacomo teased.

“Shut up,” Emilia replied, going slightly pink again.

Daniele giggled as he watched the others bantering, glad that he wasn’t the target for once.

Once the pizzas were eaten and the desserts had been ordered, Daniele got out his camera. He circulated with it, grabbing photos of all the guests. Patrizia, Paolo and Gianni smiled politely, while Angelo opted for a cheesy thumbs-up gesture. Gianni admonished him with a gentle smack to the back of the head.

“Let’s have a look at this, then,” Claudia said when Daniele got to the older teens’ table. Daniele handed the camera to her and watched as she inspected the zoom level and the number of functions.

“What do you think?” he asked.

“Not bad,” Claudia replied. “You should get some decent snapshots with this. It might struggle a bit at night, but it’s a good place to start.”

“Is this going to be your new big thing, Dani?” Michele asked.

Daniele shook his head. “You know me,” he said, “I prefer to write.”

Unable to restrain himself, he told them about his new laptop computer.

“Damn, you’re lucky!” Toto gaped. “I’m seventeen and I still don’t have one of those.”

“Your father probably knows you’d just break it,” Claudia replied nonchalantly. “Spill Coca-Cola over it or something.”

Toto pouted at her. “Come on, Claudia, you know I don’t drink Coke.”

“Well, there’d be something,” she said. “Boys are always into something gross.” She flashed a teasing smile at Daniele. “No offence.”

“None taken,” Daniele replied, keeping his face neutral. There was more laughter around the table.

Claudia dug out her own camera. “Let’s get you into some of these photos, Daniele,” she said. “After all, it’s your birthday, and you’re easily the best-looking one here.”

Toto exchanged an indignant glance with Michele. “I remember when it was me she liked,” he grumbled.

“I think she’s moved on, now, honey,” Michele replied casually.

Claudia took photos of Daniele with his parents, then she persuaded him to kneel in front of the adults’ table for a group shot. Once she was satisfied, she took him back to his own table to pose with Emilia and Giacomo. The other boy immediately tried to give Daniele bunny-ears, causing much giggling, and persisted in doing so until Emilia forcibly restrained his hand behind Daniele’s back.

“Oh, boy,” Claudia said, shaking her head despairingly. “Maybe there’s something to be said for maturity after all.”

The desserts arrived at that point, so the cameras had to be put away for a while, and silence reigned at Daniele’s table for a while apart from the slurping of tiramisu and ice cream.

At length the meal was finished and paid for, and arrangements began to be made for Daniele to go off with his friends. Toto and Michele had offered to take them up to the Villa Cimbrone, and Claudia had elected to come along. Daniele approached the adults’ table to say his goodbyes.

“Thanks for coming,” Daniele said to Angelo and Gianni.

“I feel like we’ve hardly spoken to you,” Gianni replied.

Daniele glanced back at his own table, where Giacomo and Emilia were waiting for him. “Yes, sorry,” he said, offering them a shamefaced smile.

“It’s no big deal,” Angelo said amiably. “You’ve got yourself some new friends now. It’s been great to see you having fun together.”

“I have – had fun, I mean. Thanks again for the t-shirt.”

Gianni smiled. “You’re welcome.”

Daniele passed the carrier bag of presents to his mother.

“Have fun with your friends, caro,” Patrizia said. “Will you be back in time for dinner?”

“Sure, of course,” Daniele replied.

“I guess we’ll see you then, champ,” Paolo said, clapping Daniele on the shoulder.

Daniele thanked them again and went to rejoin the rest of the party, feeling slightly guilty to be running out on his parents after they had both taken the day off work for him, but glad all the same to be heading off on another adventure with his friends.

* * *

Waved off by the adults, the party of six set out into the afternoon heat, trailing across the cathedral square to the scraping chorus of the cicadas in the pine trees. The bars were finishing the lunch service; Daniele saw a handful of visitors still picking at panini or pizza slices, or chatting cheerfully over coffee or ice cream.

The three older teens led the way. Daniele and his friends followed a few feet behind, chatting about nothing in particular. Daniele broke off as he caught sight of a figure slinking around the edge of the square in the shadow of the pine trees, trying to look inconspicuous. It was Marco, but there was something slightly changed about him.

The others had spotted him, too.

“Did he look different to you?” Daniele asked as the smaller boy retreated down the tree-lined street that led to the valley road.

Emilia frowned. “Yeah. Something about his… clothes, maybe?”

“We don’t need to worry about Marco today,” Giacomo replied, tugging them both along after the others. “It’s not our fault if he wants to keep sulking. Come on.”

Daniele frowned. You still don’t get it, do you, Giaco?

“Hurry up, guys!” Toto called from the corner of the little street that led towards the Villa Cimbrone, interrupting Daniele’s train of thought. The three friends quickened their pace until they had caught up with the others, and they set off together up the familiar winding staircase. Claudia took a few photos as they went, capturing the sunlight through the leaves of the trees above the convent and a couple of the stray cats that lay stretched out in the shade at the little park next to the café. As they passed the vegetable garden, Daniele glanced out at the view down over Pontone and glimpsed the rockface that he and Giacomo had climbed together. From their present distance, it looked quite impassable. He caught Giacomo glancing in the same direction and they exchanged a smile, enjoying the secret of their shared accomplishment for a moment.

They descended the sweeping staircase as an untidy huddle, and then the older teens pooled their cash to pay for their tickets as they climbed the path leading up to the villa gardens. At the kiosk, Claudia chatted to her cousin Viola for a minute. Daniele, who was lurking nearby with Giacomo and Emilia, racked with embarrassment at the memory of his last visit, stared as Viola flashed him a playful wink while Claudia wasn’t looking.

Michele reached into his pocket and produced a throwing ball with a colourful plastic tail; it stirred a memory of Daniele’s first visit to the gardens with Toto and Michele, almost a year ago now.

“What do you want to do first, guys?” Michele asked, addressing Daniele and his friends.

“Race?” Daniele suggested promptly.

Toto and Michele exchanged an amused glance. “Ah… you go ahead this time,” Toto said.

Laughing, Daniele set off along the central avenue at full pelt with Giacomo and Emilia in hot pursuit, charging through the dappled shade of wisteria and grape vines and kicking up small puffs of dust from their trainers as they ran. Before long, Daniele and Giacomo were at a dead heat, but Emilia, with her longer legs, began to pull out in front. Despite both boys’ best efforts, they couldn’t catch her before she ploughed into the balustrade at the Terrace of Infinity, where she flopped against it, beathing heavily.

“Too… easy…” she gasped.

“You know we let you win, really,” Giacomo panted.

“In your dreams, Giacomo.”

Toto, Michele and Claudia caught up with them a minute later, sauntering through the dappled shade at a more laid-back pace.

“Now you’ve got that craziness out of the way, how about a game?” Michele said, tossing the ball gently into the air with one hand.

“Sure, okay,” Daniele nodded, and then he was off again, leading the party down the steps behind the terrace and onto a lower avenue of pine trees that he, Toto and Michele had played at once before. It was a relatively quiet part of the gardens where they would be less likely to bother any of the other visitors.

Michele tossed the ball to Daniele and he ran with it, followed by Giacomo and Emilia. Tossing the ball from one to another, they made their way along the length of the avenue, sending last year’s pinecones skittering out of the way as they ran. They had got to the far end of the avenue before Daniele realised that the three older teens hadn’t followed them and were standing around chatting, waiting for them to come back.

Daniele trotted back towards them, with the others following more slowly behind.

“Sorry,” he said, tossing the ball back to Michele.

Michele laughed and shook his head. “No worries,” he replied.

“What were you guys talking about, just then?” Daniele asked.

Michele shoved his hands into his pockets. “Just what it feels like to be replaced,” he said, smiling a crooked smile.

“Replaced?” Daniele repeated. “I don’t understand.”

Now it was Toto’s turn to chuckle. “Just look at yourselves,” he said. “The three of you are so tight… especially you and Giacomo… you really don’t need us any more.”

“You know I hate to agree with anything Toto says, Daniele,” Claudia pitched in with a smile, “but they have a point.”

Daniele shook his head. “You’ll never be replaced, guys,” he protested.

“Yes,” Toto sighed theatrically, “you’ll pity us with small scraps of your company while your friends aren’t around, but otherwise, we’ll be dead to you.”

Daniele laughed. “That’s silly.”

Toto smiled ruefully. “You’ll see.”

Toto reached out to ruffle Daniele’s hair, but he ducked under it. “Uh-uh,” he replied. “No touching the ‘do.”

Toto nodded wisely. “Right, sorry.”

Emilia and Giacomo had caught up with them. “What’s with all the chatting, Dani?” Giacomo said, tugging on his arm. “Let’s play some more.”

Michele tossed the ball back to Daniele and then folded his arms, watching with amusement as they turned away. Daniele knew what that expression meant: I told you so.

* * *

They played catch until the afternoon heat got too much for them, even in the shade, and they agreed to take a break. The older teens had long since retreated to the bar in the lower clearing where Toto had had his birthday party, and the three of them were left to explore on their own. Giacomo led the way this time and Daniele and Emilia followed; Daniele swung Michele’s ball by its tail as they walked, feeling quite relaxed. They wandered down onto a lower terrace, where two lines of pencil cypress trees framed a walkway leading to a statue of some kind under the shelter of a small temple.

“Your older friends seem cool,” Giacomo said to Daniele.

“Is it true that Toto and Michele are a couple?” Emilia asked curiously.

Daniele nodded. “Yes, it’s true. Claudia and I helped to get them together.”

Giacomo peered at him with amusement. “Seriously? How did you manage that?”

“We just…” Daniele paused, searching for the right phrase, “accelerated the inevitable, I guess.”

Giacomo laughed. “Big words. What on Earth does that mean?”

Daniele shrugged. “All they needed to do was start really talking. That was obvious – to us, anyway.”

Giacomo shook his head. “I’m telling you, you really do have superpowers, Dani. How do you always seem to know what everyone’s thinking? Me, I haven’t got a clue about any of that stuff.”

No, you really don’t, Daniele thought, thinking of Marco and of his own confused feelings. How unfair it all seemed.

“Well, almost, anyway,” Giacomo went on. “I mean, I know Emilia likes you, Dani. You’d have to be a fool not to see that.”

Emilia went scarlet. “Shut up, Giacomo!”

Laughing mercilessly, Giacomo ran circuits around the bronze statue, pursued by Emilia. Daniele glanced up at the figure, really looking at it for the first time. It depicted the Roman god Bacchus as a young boy, sitting astride the shoulders of a satyr, feeding him grapes. Both were naked.

“Eugh,” Emilia said, coming to a halt behind Daniele and following his eyeline towards the satyr’s midriff. “You can see his parts.”

Giacomo skidded to a halt behind them too. “What’s so fascinating about a statue’s dingus, guys?” he protested. “Anyway, it’s not like it’s that impressive. Even mine’s bigger than that one.”

There was a moment’s shocked silence, and then they all fell about, their shrieks of laughter echoing across the valley in the quiet of the sunny afternoon.

Copyright © 2021 James Carnarvon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 19
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..