Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lanterns in the Dark - 12. Chapter 12

The next afternoon, Daniele, Giacomo and Emilia met in the square. It was a Saturday, and the place was already busy with locals and visitors. Although the end of the summer was fast approaching, the nights had held onto the heat, and a few cicadas still scraped drowsily in the trees.

The main cathedral doors were open, and lavish bouquets of flowers were visible just inside the entrance. From the smart clothes of the steady stream of people walking in through the doors, Daniele sensed that a wedding was in prospect.

Passing tourists concentrated on the view across the valley, taking selfies, landscapes or portraits of loved ones. Others ate late lunches at the bars or wandered around the gift shops at the fringes of the square. None of them paid much attention to the small group of teenagers, blithely unaware of the importance of their mission.

Daniele and his friends made a pitstop at an ice cream parlour to fuel up for the afternoon’s search. They ate in the shade of the pine trees, planning their route.

“We should check the Municipio gardens,” Daniele said. “I don’t really think Marco will be there, but it’s not far away, and we did spend time there once.”

Giacomo nodded. “I remember.”

“And then his house,” Emilia added.

“It didn’t work last time I tried,” Daniele said, “but it would be stupid to skip it.”

“It would make sense to go down to our place in the valley from there, wouldn’t it?” Giacomo suggested.

Daniele nodded slowly. “I don’t think we’ll find him there, either… I don’t think he’s used it since he fell out with you guys. The main place I think we need to try is the Villa Cimbrone… but, yes, we could go via the valley to get there.”

“What about the place in Sambuco?” Emilia asked.

Daniele shuddered. “No. It’s a burnt-out ruin now. Marco wouldn’t want to hang out there anymore.”

When they had finished their ice creams, they licked their fingers clean and set up off the avenue of oleanders.

“What should we do if we find him?” Emilia wondered.

“Dani should talk to him first,” Giacomo said at once. “Don’t you think?”

They both gave Daniele a questioning look; he nodded.

“I guess so,” he agreed, thinking of the way Marco had been acting since the kiss. So far, the smaller boy didn’t seem to have given up completely. “He’ll respond to me… I hope.”

To nobody’s real surprise, there was no sign of Marco at the Municipio gardens. They carried on past Giacomo’s apartment and the belvedere, then took an outer footpath that led down to the square with the fountain. Far below, the blue water sparkled by the shore at Minori and Maiori. The streets seemed strangely quiet as they walked past the fountain and entered the shade of the narrow lane that led up past Marco’s house; Daniele supposed that most adults were wisely staying out of the sun.

When they reached the smaller boy’s home, Daniele stepped forward and knocked firmly on the peeling green door; the others hung back slightly, waiting uncertainly to see if there would be an answer.

After a minute or so, it became clear that nobody was coming. Daniele gave the others a shrug.

“Let’s try the valley, then,” he said.

They returned to the square with the fountain and cut through to the old stone staircase that Marco had helped Daniele to climb after his injury in the valley; it seemed an age ago, now, even though it had only really been a couple of weeks.

“Perhaps Marco doesn’t even want to be found,” Emilia suggested. “I mean… if he was as upset as you say?”

“I don’t think so,” Daniele replied. “But we just keep missing each other, and if I don’t find him soon…”

In truth, he didn’t know what Marco was likely to do, but he felt that time was of the essence if he were going to regain the smaller boy’s trust.

Crossing the road, they descended through the olive trees and scrub below the town. At the bottom of the proper footpath, they struck out through the young woodland, following their long-trodden route, trainers crunching over the tinder-dry grass and twigs. At the tail end of the summer, the leaves on the trees had a dusty, worn-out quality; Daniele could almost sense the autumn, waiting in the wings.

The clearing was, of course, as deserted and disused as it had been the last time Daniele had seen it. A little sadly, Giacomo approached a row of three glass bottles that lay sprawled in the dust. He set them back upright again, ready for another game of pitching stones.

“We should come back here again soon, now we’re back together again,” he said, “before the summer’s over.”

“There’s room for four, don’t you think?” Daniele asked.

Giacomo frowned slightly. “Do you really believe this can work, Dani?”

Daniele sensed that there was more on his mind than he was willing to let on in front of Emilia… and he had a hunch he knew what the unspoken thought was.

Where does that leave the two of us?

“I think there’s a chance,” Daniele replied. “What comes after that…? I don’t really know.”

“Dani’s right, Giacomo,” Emilia said. “We’ve been stupid. Marco does belong with us.”

Giacomo shrugged. “I just can’t stop thinking about how he looked in his fancy new clothes after he started working for Ettore. And then, when Dani was captured… he was right there, but he did nothing.”

“He burned those clothes, you know,” Daniele said.

Giacomo’s eyebrows rose slightly. “He did…?”

“You kept yours,” Emilia pointed out.

Giacomo looked uncomfortable. “Yeah, well, that was different. I was only working for Ettore to protect Mamma. The clothes were just a side effect.”

There was nothing further for them to see in the clearing. More and more, Daniele felt that they were wasting their time, and that the place they really needed to be was the disused terrace at the Villa Cimbrone. He led the way onward through the scrub, urging the others along the valley towards the steep flight of steps that wound up through the woods at the base of the crag on which the villa gardens stood.

At last, they reached the stairs, and Daniele had to restrain the urge to climb them at a run. It was still punishingly hot, and there was nothing to be gained by pushing himself to exhaustion.

When they reached the top of the steps, they turned through the villa gates and followed the leafy path that led up to the great wooden doors. Reaching the courtyard, Daniele headed straight for the ticket kiosk, where a tired and slightly pale-looking Viola Rossi had resumed her usual position behind the desk.

“Are you okay, signora?” Daniele asked.

“Viola,” she reminded him with a wan smile. “A little too much wine last night, that’s all.”

“Has Marco been through here today?” he enquired hopefully.

“Are you still looking for that boy?” she asked curiously, but then she shook her head. “No, I don’t think so, Daniele. Even with this head, I’d have remembered.”

Daniele’s shoulders slumped in disappointment. “Okay. Thanks, Viola.”

Viola gave him a sympathetic look. “I’d invite you in, but I doubt you’d want to stay for long today. We have a wedding reception coming in here in a few minutes. They’ll be taking the place over for the night, more or less.”

Daniele returned to his friends, who were waiting in the shade of the great umbrella pine.

“He isn’t here,” he told them.

Giacomo bit his lip. “I’m sorry, Dani,” he said.

“I don’t know where else to try,” Daniele confessed hopelessly.

“Maybe tomorrow…?” Emilia suggested tentatively.

Daniele shrugged. “I dunno. It’s taking too long. The more days go by, the less likely he is to believe that I’m serious about all this.”

“So, what now?” Giacomo asked.

“I guess there’s nothing else we can do for the moment,” Daniele admitted glumly. “I think I’ll head home. Thanks for coming with me, though.”

“Sure thing,” Giacomo said. “See you in the morning?”

Daniele nodded miserably, and they turned back towards the great wooden doors.

* * *

Daniele arrived home some time later, having taken the quiet back way down the hill from the vegetable garden. Giacomo and Emilia had carried on along the main path, indicating that they were also heading home. They had all had enough sun for one day.

The afternoon was beginning to turn to evening as Daniele let himself into the house. He said a quick hello to his mother then, as he was feeling hot and sticky after the afternoon’s exertions, he took a long shower. When he had dried himself and applied a quick squirt of deodorant, he changed into a fresh set of clothes, selecting his old pink tie-dye t-shirt and beige shorts out of habit.

By the time Daniele returned to the living room, his mother was busily organising the ingredients he would be using later on to cook his dinner. She would be leaving shortly for her evening shift at the hotel.

“You know,” Patrizia said, “I’m sort of looking forward to the autumn. I know you’ll be stuck back at school, but once the flow of tourists starts to slacken off again, I’ll get a few more evenings off work. We can spend a bit more time together.”

“Yes, Mamma,” he replied tonelessly.

She frowned curiously at him. “Is everything okay, caro?” she asked.

He gave her a bleak look. “Yes,” he said uncertainly. “Only….”

But Patrizia smacked a hand to her cheek. “Oh, I almost forgot…” she gasped.

“Forgot what?” Daniele asked.

“Your friend Marco was here earlier.”

Daniele stared at her, cursing his terrible timing. “What? He came here?”

Patrizia nodded, and her eyes took on a slightly faraway look. “He seemed like a sweet boy, but ever so sad…”

Daniele nodded. “I know.”

She placed a finger to her lips, frowning with concentration. “I’m just trying to remember what he said… it was quite strange. He told me to tell you that… that he’d be at the usual place tonight, if you were really serious about what you’d said in your letter. It seemed to mean a great deal to him.” She frowned again. “Why are you sending letters to your friends, tesoro?”

“The wedding reception…” Daniele breathed.

“Say again, Daniele?” Patrizia said.

Daniele sprang out of his chair so suddenly that he nearly knocked it over. Patrizia drew back slightly, startled.

“Mamma, I need you to call Giacomo and Emilia’s parents,” he said in a rush. “Ask them to send Giacomo and Emilia to meet me in the square as soon as they can. Please.

“But, caro…” his mother protested. “I have to get to work.”

Please, Mamma,” he repeated. “It’s really important.”

“All right,” Patrizia said. “I… can see how much this matters to you, although I can’t honestly understand why. Give me a few minutes.”

Daniele thanked her and retreated to his bedroom, where he waited anxiously on the side of the bed. A short while later, his mother knocked on the door and stepped inside.

“They can meet you at eight o’clock,” she told him, “but not before. Giacomo’s mother needs him to help her move some stock, and Emilia’s parents are quite insistent on a family dinner.”

Daniele got up to embrace her. Surprised, she hugged him back.

“Thanks, Mamma,” he said gratefully.

He only hoped eight o’clock would be soon enough.

* * *

Using the ingredients left out by his mother, Daniele made himself a dinner of spaghetti alla carbonara. Cooking the dish following the traditional recipe, which involved cooking the beaten eggs in the heat of the pasta itself, took some skill to get right. It was a challenge that Daniele usually enjoyed, but tonight his heart wasn’t really in it. All the same, as he sat down to eat the warm, savoury meal, he felt he’d done a decent job.

To help pass the time, he washed up everything he’d used, dried it and put it carefully away. Having done that, he then resorted to pacing about the house, quite unable to settle to anything else constructive.

In the end, he left early, hoping that the others would find a way to do the same. He set out from home as the light began to leave the sky, and he climbed the familiar stone stairs into town by the light of the decorative lanterns that lined the high stone walls.

This, he felt, was his moment. What little faith Marco had left in him was probably at breaking point by now. He suspected it was now or never.

He stepped out into the square, greeted by the usual cheerful babble and bustle of a Saturday night in Ravello. As luck would have it, Daniele’s usual bench under the pine trees was empty, and he headed straight for it, waiting for his friends.

It was only quarter to eight but, before long, Giacomo loomed out of the shadows. He slid down onto the bench, grabbing the back of Daniele’s hand with his own.

“Ciao, Dani,” he said quietly. “What’s the emergency?”

“Marco’s going to be at the Villa Cimbrone tonight,” Daniele explained.

“You’re sure?” Giacomo asked.

Daniele nodded. “If we’re not too late.”

Giacomo glanced at him, his dark eyes glinting brightly in the light of the lanterns that lined the square. “Then I’d better make the most of the time we still have together,” he said, tightening his grip on Daniele’s hand.

“You’re still my best friend, Giaco,” Daniele assured him.

Giacomo smiled slightly. “Thanks, Dani.” He sighed. “It’s just… with Emilia back, and now maybe Marco, when are we going to have all those times we promised each other? You know, when it’s just the two of us?”

“I love you, too,” Daniele said lightly.

The other boy uttered an embarrassed laugh. “You’re never going to let me forget I said that, are you?”

Daniele smiled. “No,” he said. “Not if Toto and Claudia have taught me anything.”

A moment later, quiet footsteps announced Emilia’s arrival via the tree-lined street below the square. She had added a light cardigan to her blouse and jeans and was looking at them both curiously.

“What are we doing here?” she asked.

“Finding Marco, I hope,” Daniele replied. “Let’s go.”

* * *

Their conversation was sparse and muted as they walked through the warm night air. Daniele, Giacomo and Emilia made their way up the winding staircase together, passing through pools of light as they passed the familiar landmarks: the brightly lit porch of the convent; the café on the hill, now closed and shuttered for the night, and the little garden opposite where a few stray cats still lurked; the vegetable garden, with the view across the Valle del Dragone falling away below them and the lights of Pontone gleaming in the distance; and, finally, the outer gates to the Villa Cimbrone itself.

The leafy footpath was lit by pools of golden light from traditional lanterns mounted to the creeper-covered wall. Just as they had been the previous night, the great wooden doors were shut, but the small wicket gate stood open.

The courtyard was deserted, the great umbrella pine silhouetted darkly against the star-filled sky. Judging by the distant sounds of music and merriment wafting down the central avenue, which was lit invitingly by accent lighting set into the low stone wall next to it, the party was concentrated at the same triangular lawn where they had spent the previous night. However, there was one difference that caught Daniele’s eye.

The side path that led towards off the lower terraces had been lit with a row of battery-powered lamps hanging from metal stakes like shepherds’ crooks. Shaped to look like traditional square lanterns, the lamps were fitted with colourful glass lenses, casting small pools of rainbow light on the gravel surface of the path. Daniele supposed they had been set up to create a romantic circuit of sorts around the darker parts of the gardens, so that the happy couple or their guests could promenade together away from the hustle and bustle of the party.

Wordlessly, Daniele led his friends along the side path, walking through patches of red, blue, pink, purple, gold and green light cast by the lanterns. The shrubs rustled faintly in the darkness, and occasionally there was the delicate chirp of a cricket.

There was nobody else about. When they reached the top of the unlit steps that led down to the lower terraces, Daniele peered dubiously down into the gloom. Could Marco really still be here at this hour, surrounded by nothing but darkness?

He reached for the nearest lantern, unhooking it from its metal stake. The lenses were red and blue, and they cast playful patterns across Daniele’s tie-dye t-shirt.

“All right,” he whispered to his friends in the gloom. “Let’s try this.”

By the dim glow of the lantern, they picked their way down the uneven staircase. Soon they were standing uncertainly by the low chestnut fence, peering down onto disused terrace. Even under the light of the moon, which illuminated the whole area with the faintest of pale glows, it was hard to see whether there was anyone sitting in the shadow of the tall pine tree.

Daniele strained his ears, listening for any sound that could be picked out over distant babble of the party. And, for a second, he thought he heard a sound that might have been a dry little sob.

Daniele looked up at his friends. Giacomo and Emilia’s eyes were round and dark in the dim glow of the lantern.

“You heard him too, right?” Emilia whispered. “What’s he doing down there in the dark like that?”

“Wait here, guys,” Daniele whispered back.

“Are you sure?” Giacomo asked quietly.

Daniele nodded. “I’ll call you down in a minute.”

Still clutching the lantern with one hand, Daniele scrambled over the fence and dropped down onto the uneven ground below. Between the lantern and the moonlight, he was just about able to pick his way down over the dry earth and grass.

As Daniele drew nearer to the darkened pine tree, the sobbing came into clearer focus. Daniele had the vague impression of a small male figure sitting with his back to the solid old trunk, head hanging low, fists wiping the tears away as he wept.

Unwittingly, Daniele trod on a small, dry pinecone. It crunched loudly under his foot, and the sobbing stopped abruptly, replaced by a small gasp of fright.

Daniele held out the lantern. Marco’s pale, tear-stained face swam into view, squinting up at him in the dim red and blue glow.

“D-Dani?” he stammered. “Is this… are you real?”

“I’m here,” Daniele replied.

“I’ve been waiting here for hours,” Marco said dejectedly. “I was starting to think you weren’t gonna come… that this was just some stupid game you were playing with me.”

“It’s no game,” Daniele said, “I swear.”

He extended a hand hopefully. Disbelievingly, Marco reached for it, and allowed Daniele to pull him to his feet. Once he was standing, he dropped the hand and began to brush himself down. Satisfied, he wiped his eyes with the backs of his grubby hands.

His grey eyes found Daniele’s for a moment. “Where did you get the lantern?” he asked.

“There’s a load of them up on the main path,” Daniele replied. “You should see it. It’s… kinda beautiful.”

Marco’s eyes fell to the ground again. Just for a moment, he seemed terribly small and vulnerable, and Daniele’s heart ached for him.

“Why are you really here, Dani?” Marco asked. “What’s with all the little notes…? What do you want from me?”

“Isn’t friends enough, for now?” Daniele asked.

Marco shrugged. “I dunno. Maybe.”

“If it helps,” Daniele said, “I really do like you.”

Tentatively, he reached for the smaller boy’s hand. Marco looked down in faint wonder as Daniele took it gently in his own. He leaned in in and placed a quick kiss on the smaller boy’s tear-stained cheek. Marco brushed vaguely at the spot where Daniele had kissed him, still staring at their entwined hands.

“I’m not ready for more than this, just now,” Daniele said. “I’m not even sure who, or how exactly… but… maybe, one day. Right now… I just know I need my friends.”

Marco released his hand and glanced back up at him, looking at him searchingly. Daniele saw pain dancing with hope in the depths of his grey eyes, and thought he knew exactly how the smaller boy felt.

At length, Marco nodded. “Okay, Dani.”

“There’s more,” Daniele said, “if you’re ready for it.”

In the darkness, Marco frowned at him in confusion. “I don’t understand,” he confessed. “But… I guess so, I suppose.”

“I’m not alone tonight,” Daniele said.

“What do you mean?” Marco asked in a small voice.

Daniele glanced over his shoulder. “Come on down, guys,” he called.

There was a rustling as his friends clambered over the fence in the darkness, then the crunching of footsteps as they picked their way carefully down through the gloom. Marco watched with wide eyes as Giacomo and Emilia came into the dim red and blue glow of the lantern.

Giacomo came to rest beside Daniele, facing the smaller boy over the distance of a few feet.

“Ciao, Marco,” he said.

Marco’s composure failed completely, and he broke down into fresh tears, pulling in great, gasping gulps of air. Wordlessly, Emilia stepped forward and took the lantern gently from Daniele’s hands.

Marco stepped falteringly forwards, and Daniele and Giacomo embraced him together, side by side in the darkness.

* * *

Balance had been restored to Daniele’s life, but he was beginning to learn that nothing could last forever.

The next morning, a small crowd of well-wishers assembled at the end of the Naples road for a leave-taking. They stood in the shade of two plane trees that had been planted near the mouth of the tunnel that led back to the square. Their gnarled and patchy trunks framed a view out over the infinite blue of the sea and the rugged, tree-crowned mountains of the coast.

Marco lurked in the background, playing with Sami. Despite his protestations that he didn’t really belong there, Daniele had insisted that the smaller boy come along. Marco’s reaction upon seeing the little African boy for the first time had been worth the effort alone; Daniele didn’t think he had ever witnessed such a happy hug.

Paolo’s taxi stood at the end of the road with the doors ajar and the boot open wide, ready to conduct its passenger to the station at Naples, where she would be setting off on her next great adventure, ready to start university in a couple of weeks. Aided by Daniele’s father, Claudia was stowing her belongings safely in the boot. She had managed to cram everything she needed into an enormous rucksack and a large suitcase.

Flanked by Pietro and Anna, a clearly emotional Marta was dabbing at her eyes with a tissue from her handbag. As Claudia and Paolo closed the boot on the taxi, Marta spread her arms wide, beckoning her daughter forward for a hug. Claudia came forward willingly, embracing her mother for a long time. Marta ran a hand through her daughter’s long dark hair, as if trying to lock in one last memory of how it felt.

“Goodbye, tesoro,” Marta sniffed. “I know you’ll make us all proud.”

Claudia smiled. “I’ll see you at Christmas, Mamma. Honestly, I’ll be back before you know it.”

Pietro and Anna embraced Claudia in turn, each whispering a few choice words into her ear, then she moved down the line to Angelo and Gianni.

“Take care of yourself, little sister,” Angelo said with a sad smile. “It’s going to be strange, being the youngest again after all this time.”

“Oh, don’t worry,” Claudia replied determinedly. “I’m going to be on the phone all the time. You won’t get the chance to forget your proper place.”

Gianni chuckled. “Take care, Claudia.”

She hugged them both, then moved down the line to face Toto, Michele and Isabella.

“Keep a seat warm for me, okay?” she said to the two older boys.

Toto nodded stoically. “Always.”

Isabella came forward, and the two girls hugged for several seconds. When they broke apart, Isabella wiped a tear away with one hand and offered Claudia a watery smile.

“I’ll miss you,” she said. “Don’t forget to write.”

“Of course I’ll write,” Claudia assured her. “And, Bella… try to keep Toto and Michele on the straight and narrow, if you can.”

“Easier said than done,” Michele murmured, eliciting a faint smile from Toto.

Finally, she approached Daniele, who stood at the end of the line. Giacomo and Emilia waited at a polite distance behind him.

She smiled. “Here we are again, Dani. It always comes down to just you and me in the end, huh? We’ve saved lives together, and teamed up to heal broken hearts…” She sighed. “The one man in Ravello truly worthy of my affection, and he had to be thirteen years old.”

Daniele laughed in embarrassment. “C’mon, Claudia…”

She placed a kiss on her fingers and planted it on his cheek. “Arrivederci, trouble,” she said.

Daniele smiled back up at her. “I think that’s my line, isn’t it?”

Laughing, Claudia pulled him into a quick hug and then returned to the taxi, where Paolo was ready and waiting. She lowered herself into the front passenger seat.

“I love you all!” Claudia called out through the passenger window, and then they were off, driving into the distance along the shimmering, sun-drenched road.

The small group waved until they were out of sight, and then Pietro and Anna escorted Marta back through the tunnel that led to the square.

“Come on, Sami!” Gianni called.

Obediently, the little African boy pattered over to them. Gianni swept him up into his arms as Marco wandered over to join Daniele and his friends, hands in his pockets.

“It was great to finally meet you, Marco,” Gianni told him. “I’m sure that you and Dani both played a big part in keeping this little guy alive for long enough so he could be safe with us now. If it hadn’t been for the two of you… and Toto and Claudia, of course… well, who knows?”

“Thanks, signore,” Marco replied.

“Yeah, thanks to all of you,” Angelo said earnestly. “Come on, G… let’s get Sami home.”

The two of them set off through the tunnel. Watching them over Gianni’s shoulder, the little boy waved goodbye. Daniele, Marco and Toto all waved back.

Isabella was still staring forlornly up the road where her best friend had just driven away.

“D’you want to get a coffee, Bella?” Michele asked her gently.

Isabella nodded. “Yes, please.”

“Let’s go, then,” Michele said, moving back towards the tunnel. “C’mon, Toto.”

Toto followed the others, flashing Daniele a smile. “Ciao, Dani,” he said. “See you around.”

Daniele was left alone with his three friends. For a moment, they all stood around awkwardly, unsure what to say to one another, but then Giacomo broke the silence.

“I could murder another ice cream, couldn’t you?” he said.

There were murmurs of agreement from Emilia and Marco.

Daniele nodded. “Extra sweet.”

Giacomo grinned. “In that case… last one to get there pays the bill.”

And, in a flash, he had vanished into the gloom of the tunnel. Emilia cursed and gave chase.

Daniele and Marco exchanged the briefest of shocked glances.

“Not likely,” Marco said fiercely, tensing down to pursue them.

And, together, they ran.

 

- End -

Copyright © 2022 James Carnarvon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 28
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

21 minutes ago, James Carnarvon said:

"Many additional books"... tongue in cheek, I hope! I'm really not sure where the Ravello series would go from here (okay, I have a couple of minor ideas, but nothing I feel inspired to turn into a book just for the moment). 

Yes, tongue in cheek :lol:.  However, minor ideas can make for great short stories (not everything has to be a book), and I accept crumbs.... 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, travlbug said:

Yes, tongue in cheek :lol:.  However, minor ideas can make for great short stories (not everything has to be a book), and I accept crumbs.... 

There was this one short story idea... about an English teen who goes on a summer holiday to Ravello with his parents and maybe meets a couple of my characters - like, they become friends for a week. Sort of a fresh perspective on the whole thing. But I haven't really figured out how to make the story remotely meaningful. 😝

  • Love 5
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, James Carnarvon said:

There was this one short story idea... about an English teen who goes on a summer holiday to Ravello with his parents and maybe meets a couple of my characters - like, they become friends for a week. Sort of a fresh perspective on the whole thing. But I haven't really figured out how to make the story remotely meaningful. 😝

I'll wait. ❤️

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, James Carnarvon said:

There was this one short story idea... about an English teen who goes on a summer holiday to Ravello with his parents and maybe meets a couple of my characters - like, they become friends for a week. Sort of a fresh perspective on the whole thing. But I haven't really figured out how to make the story remotely meaningful. 😝

Actually, the meaning may not be in the present but in the future:  I can imagine a great English historian of Italian culture being asked what prompted his love for Italy; and in consequence, his thoughts drift back to his teen years and a certain idyllic week spent in Ravello....

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, travlbug said:

Actually, the meaning may not be in the present but in the future:  I can imagine a great English historian of Italian culture being asked what prompted his love for Italy; and in consequence, his thoughts drift back to his teen years and a certain idyllic week spent in Ravello....

Sounds good, but I might have had a different longer term plan in mind! ;)

  • Love 5
Link to comment
4 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I love all the positive comments and I don't even in the slightest disagree with any of them.Having said that leave it to me put a dark lining to a silver cloud(I don't even know if thats a saying😄)

I get the distinct Impression that  Giaco and Emilia didn't reconnect with Marco because they wanted to they did so more for the sake of Dani .Giaco in particular looks like he still has his doubts at least Emilia acknowledges they've been stupid.

Since you said in a chapter comment that they are still in a future story I can't wait .You've been saying you always think this is the last story. Considering you're never sure it makes you're already great stories that much more amazing.

Thanks again! I’m glad you’re enjoying them so much!

It really does feel as if you’re almost caught up, now. Both the next two stories are on the short side.

As to Dani and co, their storyline runs in the background of The Star in my Eye, but it’s in my current story, The Summer of the Selfless, that it really kicks off again and we address all the issues left unresolved at the end of this one. As I write, I’m at ch.10/11, and some of the characters’ choices are getting a rough ride. 😅

…and, yes, I’ve written the latest story as if it’s the last one, just like I did for this one!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Once again, our latest visit is over.

Friendship seems to be restored between Giacco, Emilia, Marco and Dani.

Sami is safe, with his foster parents Gianni and Angelo.

Claudia leaves for University.

I look forward to our next visit to Ravello.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Once again, our latest visit is over.

Friendship seems to be restored between Giacco, Emilia, Marco and Dani.

Sami is safe, with his foster parents Gianni and Angelo.

Claudia leaves for University.

I look forward to our next visit to Ravello.

Rapid progress made this weekend! Thank you for all your comments and very generous reviews.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, James Carnarvon said:

Rapid progress made this weekend! Thank you for all your comments and very generous reviews.

There great stories, that once you start you want to keep reading.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..