Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Puppy for Sale 3.19 - Life After Greenstone - 5. Cindy Passes A Problem

Day one of my new life. New life in the sense that I technically had no partner, no roommate, no best friend, no one helping me pay this mortgage. Who was I without Hunter? I imagined relief, thankfulness, peace. Instead, as I sat slumped on the sofa in our apartment, I felt loss.

It had been a few hours since Taylor and I had said our goodbyes and headed home. We'd stayed at the pub for about two hours, mostly talking about Hunter. I explained how I... we had gotten into this mess of a relationship, but it was hard to explain. I guess I never really questioned how well we were doing until Hunter hit that stupid idiot at Chariots. I'd put up with his anger bursts for so long that I guess I just brushed over them.

Now, as I sat alone, familiar feelings invaded my head. The ones I used to get at Greenstone when I was a kid. Loneliness. Intense and penetrating loneliness.

I went to the fridge to eat something disgusting to take my mind off my spiralling thoughts. But, shit, I was out of food. I slammed the fridge door and went to the cupboards looking for some dry flavoured noodles or at least some cereal, but we were out. Or now I was out. Pissed off, I grabbed my coat angrily and marched out of the front door and down to my car. It was supermarket time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I pulled up at the local superstore, deciding to get petrol first. I turned in sharply and slammed on the breaks outside a free pump. "Life fucking sucks!" I muttered, unscrewing the cap to my BMW Mini.

"Hey," I heard a voice call, turning my head abruptly. "Jensen, is that you?"

I looked over, narrowing my eyes while pressing the pump, letting unleaded spew into my tank.

"What the... Aldo?"

"Yeah, man, it's me, jeez, how are you, in a hurry or something?" he asked, filling his banged-up... I didn't know what it was.

"Wow, small world, what are the chances? What are you up to?"

"Boxing after I fill up this pile of crap. So, you good?"

I put the pump back on its clamp and put my head down, sighing. "How long have you got? Hunter's in prison, by the way."

Aldo placed his own pump back in its cradle and walked over to me. "Fuck man, I'm sorry. I didn't know. Do you mind me asking what for?"

"Common assault. He was a dick one too many times. He has anger issues. I think it's all to do with his childhood and twin, but he'll never admit it. Anyway, I don't want to depress you. You look good! Really well, in fact."

"Thanks, man! Yeah, I've been training hard for ages now. I wanna go pro, but my dad is almost out of money to keep me going. He's my manager too."

"What are you going to do? It sounds like you've come a long way."

Aldo shrugged. "I need sponsors, but companies won't touch me because of some stupid Twitter posts I made when I was about fifteen, it's so fucking petty."

"I hear lot's of people get caught out by the things they said years ago. If you ask me, people change, grow up and what you said then probably isn't what you mean now. I'm sorry to hear you can't get sponsors."

Aldo waved his hand at me. "Nah, it's fine; I know how this goes. I've just got to prove I'm good enough. Then, people will stand up and notice me. After that, I'll get followers, and then advertisers will suddenly forget about what I said on Twitter if they are increasing sales for their fucking bottom line. I've researched it all."

"Hey, you erm, you wanna grab a coffee? I mean after you're finished?"

"Uh, well, I was supposed to be meeting my girlfriend."

"Oh, you have plans. You know what, it's fine," I said, chuckling, slightly embarrassed. "It was a very forward invite of me."

"Ahhh, shut up, I'm made up you asked. Believe me, spending so much time training; I've lost quite a few friends, so just talking to someone other than my Dad or Donna, I'm glad.

"Donna? Your girlfriend's name?"

"Yep, But hey, can we meet up in a couple of days, say Thursday?"

"Sure, Thursday is fine. I've got to work in the afternoon, though. So can we meet early evening, say around six or half six?"

"Cool with me, man. Shall we eat? I usually have dinner around that time."

"Uh, sure, let's do Gino's, that Italian off Broom street?"

"Know the place well, sure things, man. You're on."

"Well, we better pay for this fuel before they get the Police down here.

Aldo smirked and nodded, and we both walked towards the small shop to pay for our fuel and exchange numbers.

Back outside, I left him to leave, thinking how nice it was to have a normal conversation, albeit brief. When I listened to Aldo, he sounded almost as lonely as I did. It surprised me really as he was a perfect looking guy. I thought he would have had people falling at his feet wanting to know him. From what I could see since our first meeting at Cutter's farm, he'd grown into a decent human being. His green eyes set off his thick dirty blond hair - short and sharp, perfect for a boxer. I looked forward to seeing him again in a few days.

Fuck he is hot! Shut up Puppy!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On my short journey home, my phone buzzed, it getting my attention as I hadn't heard from anyone in almost twenty-four hours. Being the law-abiding citizen, I was, I pulled over, not wanting to wait until I got home. Picking up the device from the centre console... the place where I always chucked it... I brought the screen to life and read the text that was waiting.

Cindy: We need to talk about Steven. Call me! x

I frowned, wondering what my brother from another mother had done. Like my own relationship, I knew things were not spectacularly good between them, having had conversations with both regarding each other.

Puppy: Just got to pop home and eat. You wanna meet? x

Cindy: Sure. I'll drive to you. Just wait at home. Is HE there?

Puppy: I've been meaning to speak to you. We'll chat when you're here. But no.

Cindy: Leaving in 5!

I threw my phone down and pulled away at a quick pace, wanting to give the place a light spruce up. Unfortunately, tidying and vacuuming had not been top of my priorities the last few days, with Hunter being in limbo and our relationship quickly imploding.

I stopped abruptly in my predesignated parking space under the building I lived in and went in through the side entrance, running up the stairs two at a time, reaching my door.

I chucked my coat on hooks in our hallway and set to work tidying. Dishes, cups and cutlery went from the sideboard into the dishwasher. Bottles of beer, eight I could see, went in the bin. Cushions were plumped, surfaces in my open-plan kitchen wiped down, and curtains fully opened to let maximum light in. I crooked open a window allowing some air into the stale living room, and sprayed some cheap air freshener as I spun in a circle for maximum coverage.

I went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror, pulling my eyes down. Jesus, I looked like shit. Lack of sleep, stress, and a touch of melancholy had taken their toll on my usually bright complexion. I ran my fingers through my thick blond hair and squeezed my button nose, shaking my head.

Bzzzzzz, went the intercom. I went over and picked up the handset. "Hey, come up," I said, pressing the button and putting it down again.

I went out into the hallway and undid the door, walking away from it as I always did with people I knew. Then, I heard Cindy close my front door as I stood in the lounge, and she appeared moments later.

"Puppy, you look awful," she stated bluntly, pulling me into a hug. "Have you eaten?"

"No, you got here pretty fast."

"I'm going to fix you something. SIT!"

I never argued with her and gently sat down, following her with my eyes as she floated around my small kitchen, pulling newly brought food I had left in a bag on the counter.

Cindy delicately buttered some bread before pulling some ham from a packet, two slices, expertly flipped in half and then placed on one slice. Next, she took some cheese from my fridge and furiously grated directly onto the sandwich, finding no issue finding the tools she needed to butter, grate and finally cut into triangles. Just the way I always liked a sandwich. Finally, she found a bag of ready salted crisps from the cupboard and threw them at me before placing the small plate containing my food on my coffee table in front of the sofa.

"Thanks," I said, smirking.

"What's funny?" she asked, sitting down in a chair opposite me.

"You're like my bloody mother; you know that?"

"Well, I see you have tried in vain to tidy up in a hurry. I see everything. I also assume you didn't quite get time to vacuum, judging by the fluff from yours or Hunter's socks all over the carpet.

"Okay, you got me! I didn't expect to be seeing you at my place. When I said to meet, I thought we might go out somewhere."

"Well, you need to save money, and your bombshell about Hunter probably means you need every penny. So, have you finally chucked him out?"

"Erm, not exactly, Cindy. He's in Prison."

Cindy hitched a breath and brought her hand to her mouth. "What on earth did he do... and why didn't you tell me?"

I shrugged. "He's been done AGAIN for violence towards another person. This time though, his time ran out. And I didn't tell you because at the time I was... well, I was embarrassed. I mean, it's not exactly the sort of thing you want everyone knowing, is it?"

"So I'm everyone? Puppy. You should have told me. I would have been here sooner."

Again, I shrugged. "I'm fine. In fact, I feel okay, I think."

"But you have ended it, yes?" she asked, in a tone that expected only one answer.

"Yeah, well, sort of."

"Puppy?" she snarled.

"I mean, yes, I have ended it in all but letting Hunter know."

"What does that mean?" she asked, losing patience with me. "Just tell me in plain talk."

"I mean, I said I would wait for him before his hearing, but I knew it was over. I guess I didn't want his only memory of being in prison was the fact I had called it off."

Cindy fell back into a slump into her chair. "Well, as long as YOU know it's over. If you want my advice, Puppy, and you're getting it, You need to get as far away from him as possible. He is not the dreamboat, only slightly bad boy, badass-lite, you first got with."

"I know Cindy, I know. I'm clear in my head it's over. It isn't straightforward, that's all. I mean, for a start, we have this place together, and he has probably paid more into it than me."

"Puppy, go see an estate agent, sell it, move on and start again."

"Yeah, all in good time. Anyway, Steven?"

"Arrrgh, I'd rather help you fix your problems. Can we stay on that topic?"

"Uh no, Cindy, seeing as Steven is the reason you called." I grinned.

"I found pictures on his phone."

I titled my head. "Of what?"

Cindy sighed. "You!"

"Okay, what's wrong with that. I have pictures of Steven on my phone."

"Puppy, let's just say they are pictures that you probably weren't aware were taken."

My grin faded as I thought about what she could possibly mean by that. "What, you mean naked pictures?"

Cindy nodded. "About twenty of them. In some, you are sleeping in bed. Some are of you showering. There is a couple of you... well, you know."

I involuntarily laughed. "Erm, jerking off?" I said quickly, feeling heat travel to my cheeks.

"I don't know when they were taken, but they are at your parent's house, so I assume they are around two years old. I will assume you don't know about them?"

I slowly shook my head in deep thought. "No... no, I didn't."

"I didn't think you would. Anway. I've ended it with him. It's been on my list of things to do for a while, Puppy. Personally, I think he needs to sort out what way he swings before committing to a relationship."

"Whoa, slow down. What are you saying here, that he's gay?"

"Oh, come on, Puppy. Are you surprised after what you two went through in the past and the fact he's only ever had two confirmed girlfriends in the whole of his teen life?"

"Well, I mean, there was a period where he was kind of lucid in that area of his life, but most people are at some point in their teens, I learned. But he's almost twenty. So he should know by now, surely."

Cindy shook her head, squeezing the bridge of her nose. "I think he has things in his head about you which are unresolved. Make of that observation what you will, but you really should speak to him."

"Cindy, I'm so sorry. I had no idea. Steven has always been... well, Steven! Can I ask why you were going through his phone?"

Cindy Shrugged. "Sure. I thought he was seeing another girl if I'm honest. It's not like we have ever been a perfect match. I think for a long time, we just needed each other. I don't know what I mean by that. But I suppose if I look at the situation carefully, I was with him because I was fed up with being single, and he was with me because... well, now I think, after all, he was hiding his real sexuality. I don't know who from. Maybe his friends, maybe himself."

"You really think that. I mean, do you have evidence? It's a wild theory."

"Well, having naked pictures of you on his phone might be a good indication, Puppy, wouldn't you say?" she said, sounding exasperated. "I only saw you, and I switched it off. God knows what else I would have found on there if I'd dug deeper."

"Hmm, I guess. So uh, well, you seem to be taking this pretty well."

"Oh, Puppy, it's not like I was in love with him. I happen to think he needs taming, and that's not a job I want. So no, I'm not that bothered. I was actually thinking about a way out of... us, for a while. So this makes it easier. I feel bad for thinking like that but there's just no chemistry there."

"I understand. I do. I understand. Fucking hell, Steven, gay? Jesus," I said, shaking my head looking at the floor. "Maybe if I saw him more, I might have caught on. Damn!"

"Look, Puppy, you and I have never had any secrets, right?"

"Of course, always!"

"I think you and Steven need to sit down and have a conversation about this. He's... he's not into me, Puppy. He's in to you! Now eat your sandwich.

What?!

Copyright © 2021 James Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 24
  • Wow 9
Thank you to all my loyal readers. Those hardcore JM cheerleaders and those who thought they'd give me a shot. I relish your feedback, reactions and comments. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It is great to have Cindy back, maybe. It seems like she wants him to hook up with Steven.  I vote no!  Anyone who takes nude pictures of you without your permission is a horrible person who cannot be trusted!  It makes it even worse when it is a person who is part of your family, even if he is not related by blood.  Wow!  I have no idea where Puppy should go now, thanks to Steven, it doesn't seem like going home is a safe choice any more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

At the very least, Puppy and Steven need to talk about whatever this is. The signs that his brother held more than fraternal feelings for him were there but Hunter pulled all the attention.

Steven's clearly been depressed -- whether because of his attraction to his brother and the shame of using secretly snapped nudes of Puppy in his spank bank, the realization that he may not be straight, the absence of Puppy in the house, or any combination of the above. Avoiding responsibility, trouble holding down a job, neglecting his relationship with Cindy . . .

In a perfect world, Jack could help Steven find a job as a favor to Puppy and the brothers could live together, with Steven picking up Hunter's half. Give them time to explore and/or define their feelings for one another outside of their parents' purview but, more importantly, provide Steven a safe space to come to terms with himself. Could be either incredibly messy or like puzzle pieces clicking into place.

Buuuuut before that's on the table, Steven has some explaining to do and Puppy . . . well, Puppy should be ready to withhold judgement and just remember this is someone he loves.

Cindy remains the best of us. Her heart is as big as Steven's dick but not nearly as rigid. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..