Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 552 Words
  • 811 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Our Hopes for Tomorrow Began Yesterday - 2. Operation Backspace

Theta Indus 337 System

7th Fleet Anchorage & Attached Facilities

Classified Research Station

2620 April 04 0730

 

 

The station’s small staff was gathered around what seemed like an overlarge conference table for the gathering. Dr. Bhasin rapped his knuckles on the table and said, “Settle down. Dr. Simmons, you have the floor.”

Alisha Simmons looked up from her computer pad and said, “As of the last series of temporal incursions, we now have a hundred subjects in stasis. Many of them were wounded, some quite severely, but we have used stasis surgery to repair any wounds and installed a standard set of implants.”

Commander Alex Taylor said, “We could get many more if we could just relax the rules.”

Dr. Bhasin sighed and said, “We’ve been over this, Alex. We must not risk creating a paradox. When we take one of these young men from a historically fatal situation, we must stick to the rules. It can only be men who were never recovered.”

Dr. Simmons scoffed, “Men? I’ve got subjects as young as fourteen. They should be in school.”

Taylor sat back in his chair and said, “That’s another part of the criteria I’m not so sure about.”

Simmons said, “We need subjects mentally flexible enough to jump from a near-death experience in a war almost seven hundred years to our time. Furthermore, this cuts all their ties to their former lives. Anyone they knew in their native timeline, family, friends, and acquaintances are gone. This would be difficult for anyone, but younger people will be the most resilient and should have an easier time with it than a mature adult with a family.”

Commander Taylor said, “I have to admit I admire them. History called them the greatest generation. If anyone can do this, it should be them, and if this works out, there are thousands more of them.”

Dr. Bhasin said, “Dr. Simmons, you plan to bring a few out, get them acclimated, and see if they can help us with the rest. What difficulties do you foresee?”

Simmons looked at her pad and said, “The potential problems are numerous, but the worst one by far is nationalism. We have young men from various cultures that were at war against one another. They might trust their countrymen. They might trust their allies. It will take some work to get them working with old enemies.”

She continued, “They have the standard implant packages so that language won’t be an issue. Neural education should be able to bring them up to Alliance standards in just a few weeks. It’s just… We have British sailors who would have been killed by a U-boat. Then we have members of a U-boat crew. That’s not to mention how we will deal with the Japanese.”

Bhasin stroked his beard thoughtfully and asked, “Your point is well taken, Alisha. We don’t have the kinds of specialists we need to do this, but we have our orders. We have some help coming starting this week. Operation Backspace is a go.”

Taylor said, “We are just caretakers. How did we draw a mission like this?”

Dr. Bhasin grinned sardonically and said, “What is it the Fleet brass calls a near-impossible mission? Ah, yes. Now I remember. It's an opportunity to excel, Al.”

Copyright © 2022 JamesSavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 5
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

5 hours ago, weinerdog said:

It also made me think with this alliance is there such a thing as a Bristish accent in that time?

 

Doctor Who routinely goes much further afield in time than 2620 and there's always a bloke with a British accent.

Edited by JamesSavik
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment

"Operation Hammerhead" took place in 2573. At the point you took us to in that story, the Alliance fleet had totally destroyed the enemy fleet. How come, 47 year later, in 2620, the Alliance has become so powerless that "Earth has fallen. The mighty Alliance fleet was trashed in a lightning attack by advanced aliens. Earth and her many colonies are occupied."????

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, frosenblum said:

"Operation Hammerhead" took place in 2573. At the point you took us to in that story, the Alliance fleet had totally destroyed the enemy fleet. How come, 47 year later, in 2620, the Alliance has become so powerless that "Earth has fallen. The mighty Alliance fleet was trashed in a lightning attack by advanced aliens. Earth and her many colonies are occupied."????

Thanks for mentioning this frosenblum.  I seemed to have missed the prologue.  I went back to read it.  I haven't read "Operation Hammerhead", so I'll have to read it at the same time to keep up.  Hopefully, the gap in time between the two stories won't cause too many problems.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

However they put together a counter strike force to engage the enemy that wiped out Earth, this crew will face significant challenges to say the least!

Its gonna be interesting and a bumpy ride for sure!!!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Okay, confusion here.  It's been a while since I read Hammerhead, but I was under the impression it was unfinished and been abandoned?

It may be difficult for the various nationalities to trust one another at first, but consider: they were all facing death, and this is a way out, and being young their minds may not be so rigidly locked into their society's goals when faced with an entirely new world to learn about...it's one thing to fight amongst themselves, but when faced by a serious external threat, their goal would likely be to put this enemy first, then see what happens after that.

One other thing: can we get longer chapters, James?  :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Good comments by @ColombusGuy there.  I just reread Hammerhead and note that it wasn't finished, right near the climax.   It might be better use of time to complete the prime story for the author's universe.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment

I think there is room for both stories.  Just because in Hammerhead things are going one way does not mean that there isn't a parallel universe where things went differently.  @JamesSavik -- I Would like to see both stories finished, PLUS a sequel (eventually) to "In the Shadow of the Dragon."

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..