Jump to content
  • Join Gay Authors

    Join us for free and follow your favorite authors and stories.

Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Bleeding Hearts is a murder mystery so there are deaths in the story, sometimes described graphically. This story also includes themes of abuse and violence.

Bleeding Hearts - Prologue. Prologue

There is a delicate-looking plant native to North America called bleeding heart. When it blooms, its long, arching branches are covered with tiny heart-shaped flowers, each one with what looks like a drop of blood coming out the bottom—hence the name. It likes shade and doesn’t much care for wind.

Unfortunately, we were getting a lot of wind that day. From the window overlooking the garden, I watched it blow furiously through the brightly colored flowers. Many of them had already lost their petals, but so far, the bleeding hearts were holding their own. I couldn’t say the same for myself. I was feeling more and more lost by the second.

Suddenly, I was possessed with an irresistible urge to go out into the yard. I didn’t know why. Maybe I hoped the storm’s fury would blow me away — or at least blow away the storm raging inside me. I opened the back door and walked outside. The wind buffeted my body. The driving rain instantly soaked through my clothes. It poured down my face, the raindrops mixing with my tears. I didn’t care. I just wanted to stop hurting.

I fell to my knees in the middle of the yard. I had never felt so alone. In the course of the last two weeks I had lost everyone important to me. There was no one I could turn to, no one left to talk to.

I wanted to die.

Copyright © 2024 Josh Aterovis; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 10
Thanks for reading! I welcome your thoughts and feedback. I'll do my best to respond.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 minutes ago, Geron Kees said:

Pleased to see this story getting a start here. Welcome!

Seconded!

Edited by KFO
  • Like 4
Link to comment

I love your stories! I am so glad you are posting this story. I look forward to rereading this excellent book, and I hope you choose to post the other Killion mysteries as well.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

Pleased to see this story getting a start here. Welcome!

Thanks, @Geron Kees! And thanks for your encouragement.

Edited by Josh Aterovis
  • Love 1
Link to comment
18 hours ago, gmc said:

I love your stories! I am so glad you are posting this story. I look forward to rereading this excellent book, and I hope you choose to post the other Killion mysteries as well.

Thank you so much @gmc! That the current plan. 😊

  • Love 1
Link to comment
15 hours ago, drsawzall said:

You hooked me, looking forward to the next chapter...

Thanks, @drsawzall! Right now I'm thinking one chapter a week, but I'm open to suggestions!

  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Josh Aterovis said:

Thanks, @drsawzall! Right now I'm thinking one chapter a week, but I'm open to suggestions!

One chapter per day?

Oh, okay. One chapter every other day? :)

 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..