Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,623 Words
  • 720 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Star, The Demon, and The God - 14. The Visit with Drulai

Days Later ~ Present Day of Chapter One

The Ancient Ones

The ride to the boat is silent once again.

The massacre of the Angels almost seems as though it had never happened. As if all the piles of golden dust that sits on the surface of the ocean is not truly there. Simple illusions that we are all choosing to ignore.

Perhaps the only thing that tells us that time has not frozen over is Drulai’s home.

During the attack, she had created an icy globe around her floating palace. That was the only reason we could tell that the Angels were not on her side.

Now, the ice melts away into the ocean water.

Perhaps she will be able to give us answers as to why Raiyo was attacked the moment he had left Enfierna. Surely something has happened that we are unaware of.

Two of us row the boat. Another stands at the ready in case of another attack.

Clearly we are not entirely needed, but we still must do what we were created to do.

“And what might that be?” Raiyo says out of nowhere.

We stop rowing. “Master?”

“Why exactly are you sworn to me?” He asks. “Who made you so that you have no choice but to do everything I tell you to?”

How do we answer this? We have never really thought of our creator. Not since the beginning of the first tribes of Thymestrys.

“Your family had...sacrificed some of their own to provide protection for their family,” We say. “From the blood they had spilled, it solidified into metal; much like how you are able to turn into a cloud of smoke. They continued to spill blood until they had enough material to create three of us. We are grateful for what your family had sacrificed to bring us life. Now we swear to forever protect the Dunbrali name.”

Raiyo smirks at our last sentence.

“Why protect what cannot be passed on?” He says.

We can only stare at him. Why would he say that?

“If we may ask,” We say. “What do you mean by that, Master.”

He chuckles and turns to face Drulai’s home.

“Surely you notice that I will not ever be able to bear children for I am not a woman. Nor do I wish to be with a woman. I imagine that means that when I am gone, you will have no other thing to live for.”

This feels like a conversation we had just before he died.

“Forgive us Master, but we have had this conversation before. Perhaps you do not remember?”

Something tells us we may have struck a nerve. The sinister glint that is usually in his eyes disappears. His smile however, has not.

We may have crossed the line.

“Perhaps I don’t,” He simply says. “Give me a few hundred years. I may remember then. As for if you will be there...we shall see.”

The message is rather clear for us. We immediately cease all thoughts that spark into our heads and do not speak another word.

In a rather awkward ride to the floating island, we manage to reach it in about fifteen minutes.

A strange bubble that can barely be seen surrounds the entire island. It reminds us of a giant soapy bubble, only it is a lot harder to see. Perhaps it is another kind of defense that Drulai has set up? Unless it is the magic that makes it so that humans are not able to see her home on the horizon and such.

Only Drulai would know we guess.

Raiyo as well if he were to read her mind.

“Of course not,” he says. “That would be considered rude. Now would I really do that to the Mother of Gods?”

Now that is something we are really not sure on how to answer. We are worried that we will say something wrong again. For all we know, the next could be our last.

He laughs.

“It is highly likely that she may read minds as well,” he says. “If that is the case, she would know I was in her mind, which in turn would be like getting caught breaking and entering.”

Does...does he not do that already?

Another laugh from him.

“Yet there are never any witnesses,” He grins. “I imagine Drulai would get lonely being the only one to see what happened a few minutes ago.”

This time we really try our hardest not to think about anything. As much as we are willing to do anything for our master, we do not wish to be wiped off the face of the planet. We still have much to do for Raiyo. Even if he thinks otherwise.

“You all serve a dead name,” He says with a cruel smile. “You serve me now. You either get used to it or kiss this world and whatever family you three try to keep alive goodbye. If those metal faces can kiss that is.”

“Forgive us, Master Raiyo,” We bow our heads. “We will not cross you again.”

“No,” He turns his gaze to the bubble in front of us. “You will not.”

We row the boat past the bubble and for a docking area; determined to distract ourselves from anymore thoughts that would grab the attention of Raiyo. It is a bit hard to do unfortunately. He said something that is ringing around in our heads.

Just as we pull ourselves onto the shore, Raiyo tilts his head and frowns. He narrows his eyes as he stares ahead at nothing in particular.

“Master?” We say in question. He raises a finger to silence us.

For a few moments he stares at nothing. Slowly, a smile begins to grow on his face.

Turning to us, he creates a portal..

“I need the three of you to go here and...cause some mayhem for me,” He says with an evil smile on his lips.

“But we must protect you at all times,” We say. “We must not leave your side for even a moment!”

He raises an eyebrow. “Is that the sound of you disobeying my orders? Perhaps you all have truly lost your use after all.”

Steam seeps out of our shoulders in worry. We have not left him alone like this in so long. Surely this is the worst scenario he could have put us in.

“Go. Now,” He says, his voice filled with authority.

At once, we each step into the portal, our instincts taking over us. As soon as we pass through, the portal closes, leaving us in some random place that is damp and dark.

Damn him. Damn him for this. We must always be by his side!

This seems to be the time to finally think over what he had said before.

Raiyo believes the family name is dead, as if he has banished the name entirely. Does this mean...we should still be following him? He is a God. What he says is practically made true. So what does this mean? Do we keep following him? The Dunbrali name is no more.

A bitter feeling grows inside of us. A feeling of failure. Surely...surely there is a way to make things right again.

~~~
~~~

Drulai - The Mother Goddess

I watch Raiyo send his little metal puppets into a portal that leads to who knows where. Strange that he would send them off when he is about to be alone in my presence. Though after what he had just displayed over the water, I can see they are merely just for show.

“Your hair is finished, Madame,” Olenna says behind me. Looking to the mirror next to me, I examine what she has decided to do today.

She has braided my hair into three sections, she then braided those together and added flowers. The colors she has chosen today are orange and yellow.

I nod to her and she reaches for my crown. It sits on a pillow.

The crown has swirling seashells made of gold that circle all the way around. It is rather basic as some of my daughters have mentioned to me before, but I like it. The simple things are often overlooked.

Today however, it is time to meet a not-so-simple being.

Of all the years that have passed since the birth of Raiyo, the last time I ever spoke to him was before he had lost his memories. Not once have I felt the need to speak to him again.

Due to recent events however, I am forced to break that feeling.

Honestly, I am quite surprised Raiyo has decided to answer my summons at all. I am aware that he is a bit like me with not wanting to speak with any of his brethren, but apparently I am considered different in his eyes?

Since I do not wish to appear rude, I quickly make my way down to the front doors.

Just as I reach them, two servants are already opening the door. Raiyo’s face is the first thing I see when they slowly crack open.

My...that is certainly a sight to see.

I remember caring for him back when he was a human. For a moment, I almost thought ‘a mere human’ but he was no such thing. Morgoren made sure of that.

Back then, I remember feeling how scared and alone he was in my forest. Each footstep he took would leave a small trail of sorrow that would seep into my soil. I could feel everything; including how it all quickly turned into a silent rage.

I had never met a mortal who had as much anger as him. It made the stones in the earth heat up. He was so angry at everything yet somehow, he kept it all underneath a mask. Even when he only spoke with the Ancient Ones, he used the mask on them.

Even now, I wonder why he kept that mask. Nobody would have seen or heard him. Sure, the Ancient Ones were present at the time, but there was nobody who deserved the effort to hide it.

Still, when he had come back years later with that man...his anger had dampened. All I felt in each of his steps were breaths was love. He was both afraid and so utterly in love with that man. Afraid of loving him to be exact. It made me happy to see such a change.

Of course, when the one thing that made him happy was ripped from his life, his mask had shattered.

Now look at him. A God, but also an Archdemon.

I smile when he steps into my palace.

“A pleasure to have you here, Raiyo,” I say. “Please, follow me.”

I lead him into my dining hall.

In the dining hall, there are two long tables that are mostly for the cleaning staff, cooks, guests if any, and any spirits who happen to cross their way into here.

At the very end of the room, there is a table for me. Of course there are other chairs for when I have any guests.

Lining the walls of the room, every five feet there is a maid or butler who stands at the ready for whenever I need them. Most of the time I do not.

I notice that whenever Raiyo moves, trails of smoke come off of his skin. It almost looks as though he is not here; as if he is only sending a projection. Thankfully, I can sense that he is well and truly here.

He is rather silent. His glowing orange eyes wander around the room. They linger over the staff standing alongside the walls. I could peek into his mind to see why, but I would rather have him distracted before I was to try that.

Olenna comes up to us with a small bow. In her hands, she has a tray that has a cover on it.

“For you, my Lady,” She bows and lifts the top off. Inside is a letter.

Nodding my thanks, I take the letter and sit down in a chair. Raiyo sits across from me.

“I trust you have a small idea as to why you are here,” I say, opening the letter. The letter holds a glowing green seal of two axes crossed together. This tells me that my son, the God of War, wrote this.

Raiyo smirks at me but the smile does not reach his eyes. They hold the familiar burn that he once did long ago.

He drums his claws along my table. The sound reminds me of the tips of knives hitting a metal slab.

I must say, he certainly is quite different compared to the others. Most lose their threatening demeanors in my presence. Not sure how I feel about this. Especially when he still has not answered my question.

After a small stare off, I look through the letter.

I have already read through it all. Three times actually; and it is all about him. It is the very reason that he is here. Not for a dinner for two.

“Well,” I say, folding it back together after making sure I remember it all, “after the display you had done outside, I think you have a very good idea as to why I have called for you.”

He leans back in his chair and crosses his hand into his lap.

“I do not believe the Angels like me very much,” He tilts his head with a smile. “They tend to...disappear in my presence.”

Sighing, I nod to Olenna to bring out our meal.

“You know that the Angels were sent under the rule of the other Gods. Killing them all is only making things harder for them. They are to keep the peace and you killing those innocent souls will only create more stains on Thymestrys.”

He chuckles. “Oh I also believe their souls are innocent. I believe that it is quite unfortunate that they were sent my way. However I also believe that their rulers are the vile in this world that should be snuffed out.”

I narrow my eyes. “You have already done so. You murdered the Gatekeeper. You murdered Taisla, my child! What do you have to say for yourself?”

“Please,” He laughs. “You think it was murder? Anyone who has looked at history closely could easily see that, that was no such thing. It was an act of repayment. She condemned me to this life. In return, I wanted her heart and soul.”

My jaw clenches but my anger goes away rather quickly.

I know what she has done to him. In all honesty, she should have seen it coming. I did warn them that day. They were all going to have to pay for their actions.

“Very well,” I say. “You must also be aware that everyone is completely against you. They wish to bring you into Hazano to forever keep you chained. They, myself included, believe that you are too dangerous to keep out in the world.”

Raiyo raises an eyebrow. “You all wish to keep me locked up in the heavens with you for killing, yet you all think yourselves any better than me?”

“You murdered your sister,” I hiss. “You had also killed another at your birth, but we had agreed that because you were developing into your new state, we would allow that instance to pass. It has not even been two millennia and you have killed again!”

With a scoff, he rolls his eyes. “As if none of you haven’t killed another soul before?”

“We are a family,” I glare. “We do not kill each other.”

His little show of acting all calm disappears. An angry fires comes out in his eyes.

“You are not my family,” He snarls. “You say they are my sisters and brothers, that you are my mother, but I know that I am no such thing. All these other pricks may have been created by you, but I am my own. All you ever did was stand by my burning corpse and bring my soul back to me.”

My eyes widen at that.

“How would you remember that?” I frown. “I told Taisla to do as you had wished that night.”

“She had done more than just that,” His voice begins to rise. “You have heard the stories about me. I know you have; yet here you are, having me sit at a fucking dining table!”

The sound of someone clearing their throat grabs our attention.

A lizardman stands next to Raiyo. In his hand is a tray that holds a glass of wine.

Raiyo’s eyes burn before he flicks his wrist towards the servant. The poor man does not even get the chance to scream as his body evaporates into thin air. Not even the drink or tray survives.

With a sigh, I open the letter again.

“I have indeed heard the stories. Some of them I find hard to believe,” I say. “I keep a close eye on my children. I always have. So forgive me when I say this, but why do you lie? Why do you lie about sleeping with Morgoren?”

There is a small pause before he answers.

“It is not so much a lie,” He shrugs. “Everyone has told me since the first year I was born. They all say that I slept with him behind Taisla’s back. Nobody says otherwise. Why would I want to speak the truth if it makes the others angry?”

Pursing my lips, I stare into his eyes. They do not blink back.

“Why let the lies spread? You went along with it to the point that everyone thinks you are a slut,” I wrinkle my nose in disgust. “Why would you ever allow that? You are a god. Have some decency.”

He chuckles and shakes his head.

“The topic of sex makes you uncomfortable. Does it not?” He stands and circles around the table.

I nod. “Of course. It is not proper to speak of such things.”

He sits on the table next to me and leans back on his hands. This reveals his outfit even more to me. In the very tips of the straps, boots, and top, I can barely see the hint of the glowing orange markings.

“Then you see exactly why I use it,” he grins. “Making people fear you is one thing, making them uncomfortable during a small conversation is another. I love it. I want to make them fear me, even when they are only thinking my name.”

Frowning, I scoot myself a bit away from him; not feeling particularly safe with him so close.

“That kind of power is never good,” I say. “You must change your ways. Because of your actions, the other Gods wish to imprison you. You are to come willingly to Hazano or you are to be met by force.”

He smirks and looks me up and down.

“Did your children put you up to this?” He chuckles. “Were they too scared to speak to me in person so they sent their sweet mommy instead? Isn’t that just adorable.”

Silence is all I can offer there. There is no use in denying it. Why else would I have brought him here? Obviously not to share wine.

“Please,” I sigh. “Go peacefully. The world does not need anymore troubles.”

He gives a look of amusement before laughing. “My, you are as stupid as them! Do you really think I would let them place me in chains? If they could that is. If they wish to get me, they will have to work for it.”

Raiyo stands and moves to leave.

“Tell your infernal children that I will be in the great plains of Anucius,” He says over his shoulder. “I would also add that they should bring an army. I plan to go out fighting. I am sure it will be a beautiful day of bloodshed.”

Standing abruptly from my seat, I try and slip into his mind. Anything to try and stop him here and now.

I am met with a burning fire in my head. I scream and fall to my knees as flaming pictures fly before my eyes. Pictures and thoughts.

I see my daughter getting her head chopped off. I see my daughter again with her spine being forced out from her skin. She screams in agony each and every time she dies again and again in so many terrifying ways.

Next, I see a small image. It is a floating diamond? Next I see paintings on a wall. It almost looks like...no, wait! The pictures! They are gone!

Raiyo’s face appears before me. His hand is gripped around my throat. He smiles down upon me with fire in his eyes.

“You wound me, Drulai,” He says. “I wouldn’t think the great mother goddess would be so cruel as to barge into my mind without my consent. You do know what I do to people who do not ask for consent, yes?”

My eyes widen and I grab onto his wrist to try and pull him off. He does not budge at all.

Thankfully, his grip on me slackens and I fall to the ground gasping for air.

“Lucky for you, you are not on my list,” He turns and moves to leave. “Tell them they have three days to prepare.”

I keep gasping for air on the floor. Just as Raiyo walks past the doors, Olenna comes out of hiding and moves to help me into a chair.

May the fates be on our side for when that battle comes.

Copyright © 2019 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..