Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,218 Words
  • 730 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Star, The Demon, and The God - 16. Under the Old Jailhouse

Luno

“Why did you do it? Do you have any idea how awful this is? I cannot feel my own clothes on my skin; cannot even taste the rotted air that sits in this cell. All because you decided to do this to me.”

I frown at the necklace. I have yet to touch it, but it is speaking.

It is Raiyo’s voice. Based on what he is saying, I can tell he talking to Mother; or maybe about her? Either way, it is unsettling to hear since I know she recently died.

Just as I am about to grab the necklace, it starts talking again.

“No, no, no,” Raiyo chuckles. “I want you to keep your eyes open. I want you to watch as your body slowly, painfully, breaks itself apart. Piece by piece.”

My eyes widen at hearing his words and a shiver runs up my spine.

He sounded so playful saying that. Just imagining who he could be doing that to makes me feel scared for them.

Of course, I curse my mind for being so stupid. It should be obvious who he is speaking to. Why else would the first instance show that he was speaking about Mother?

So...this is my answer? Mother was killed by Raiyo?

Biting my lip, I stare at all the details in the necklace. There are little flowers inside of the moon.

I bite my lip so hard that I start to taste blood.

Healing myself, I try my best to not think about Raiyo tearing Mother apart. He sounded like he was enjoying himself. Why? Killing someone should not be fun!

My eyes begin to well up with tears. How could I keep them down when I learned of the awful fate Mother had suffered?

When I let go of the necklace is floats once again, lighting up the cell with its light. This time it is a bit softer.

I decide to sit down on the cell floor and rest against the wall.

Maybe the necklace will reveal more to me? It seems a bit random, perhaps something else I could learn about myself will come out.

~~~
~~~

Tobias

I sigh and wipe the sweat off my brow.

Me and the male soldier have been working together to remove a pile of stones that were blocking the passage into an old pub.

Surely is such a thing were blocking the way, there must be something behind; like a necklace perhaps?

I say that I had help, but that would be pushing it. I had to do all the heavy lifting. Humans are too puny compared to the strength of literally anything else.

Okay that is a bit harsh. I bet one could overcome Luno fairly easily.

Oh gods.

Why did I think of that? That is the last thing I need to think about right now when he is who knows where.

Before checking the pub, I look up to the skies for Enfi. She is supposed to be keeping watch over Luno. His little bodyguard when I am not there.

I know the little snake around his neck is too useless for anything.

Enfi is circling around far over. She is only a red dot to me at the moment.

Damn Luno walked pretty far. That other guard better be checking on him.

Just as he left on his own, I had pulled the woman over and told her that she was to check in on him to make sure he has not gotten himself hurt.

Since neither she nor Enfi are looking for me, I am going to assume Luno is alright.

Perhaps I am getting a little too overprotective.

“Found something!” The guard with me shouts.

The fool went in without me.
Stomping my way in, slightly annoyed, I see him holding strange red flowers. The fact they are alive is slightly alarming.

“Onishas,” He grins. “They are quite rare.”

Raising an eyebrow, I grab one.

They are pretty small. Not even half the size of my palm.

How are they still alive in this death city?

“Shouldn’t they be dust?” I frown. “No normal flower would be alive in a place like this. Something is wrong with it. Put them back.”

He shakes his head. “No, no. This is quite normal. These are desert flowers. Usually used in foods or drinks. I found them in the kitchen! Perhaps the place sold Serendian meals and drinks.”

Narrowing my eyes, I bring one of the flowers close to smell them. Somehow their smell is still quite strong. A bit of a spicy kick to it.

“Shouldn’t they be dead,” I glare at the red petals. “This place had been wiped out for hundreds of years.”

The soldier shakes his head again.

“These flowers are long lived. Some say they can live to over a thousand years old! There are so few of them in the world now, it is quite an achievement to find such a treasure in here.”

I hum in response before taking the two other flowers from his hands.

“Unfortunately they are not what we are looking for. Get out and look for it.”

The man blinks and nods before running out.

Once he is gone, I walk over to the kitchen.

Like most places, it is rather empty. No food or tools. Only a table, an old fire stove, and a bunch of broken crates.

Just behind the corner of the crates, I see the same red petals that were on the desert flowers.

Pushing the crates aside, I find another handful of those flowers. Onishas were their name.

Maybe Luno would take a liking to them. Something tells me he’s never seen desert plants. I think he will like these very much.

“Where is he?” A woman’s voice shouts, followed by the sound of a bird screeching.

I barely hear the guard that was with me before the other soldier runs in here with Enfi pecking at her helmet. She keeps trying to swipe her away.

Holding my arm out, Enfi quickly swoops over to perch on my arm.

Oh gods. If they are here, that means...Luno!

“What happened?” I shout. “Where the hell is he?”

The woman is out of breath and she tries to cough out her words.

Enfi hisses at her with me.

“I do not know,” She wheezes. “I lost him!”

I growl and push past her to get outside.

“Find Luno,” I say and lift my arm up to have Enfi fly and scout for him.

She doesn't scout or circle around. She goes straight in a single direction. The bird already knew where Luno was. Figures I should have trusted her more than a human.

Don’t worry, Luno. I’m coming!

~~~
~~~

Luno

Slowly opening my eyes, I realize that I somehow was lulled to sleep. The soft voice that was singing through the necklace was too nice to keep awake.

Just how long have I been sleeping? Surely not too long.

Looking in the back of the cell, I find a strange hole in the wall. It has rusty bars through it.

Is that supposed to be a window? It is awfully high and small. Unfortunately, it looks like something is blocking it. Nothing to see through there.

Turning back to the necklace, I bite my lip.

It is quiet now. No songs are being sung, no whispers; nothing at all. It is just dead silent in this place.

No wait! I do hear a voice!

Peeking out of the cell I’m in, all I see is what looks like a never ending darkness. The voice is down there. Who could it be? Another soldier who may have gotten lost like me?

Well, I say that, but I was led here. I do not exactly remember how to get back to Tobias.

Wait, where is Enfi?

Double checking, I find that Kulu is indeed still wrapped around my neck sleeping his heart out.

Since I do not want anything getting lost down here, I decide it would be best to help the poor lost soul.

I try and create a ball of fire to help me find my way, instead I am met with nothing.

No matter how many times I try, I just can’t seem to make a fire!

That is rather alarming.

What do I do? I can’t just leave them here!

“Hello?” I call out. “I-I’ll try and find my way to you! Just hold on!”

The voice does not respond. If anything, I think they started crying.

It sounds like a young voice. Is it a child? Why are they here? They should be with their parents! Not in some scary, dark jail house.

After trying once again to make another source of light, I let out a small groan before turning to the floating necklace behind me.

Well, I can only hope that I can manage well in the dark. I am sure it can’t be too bad! It is not like the dark can hurt me or anything. Just have to remember that it is only an area where the sun is not able to touch! Nothing scary about that.

Just have to keep repeating that to myself. Everything will be okay.

“Can...can you keep making noises, please?” I ask into the darkness. “I am going to try and make my way to you!”

Taking a deep breath, I reach out and grab the glowing moon necklace.

Instantly the light goes out and I am swallowed by the dark.

As soon as it does, I swear I feel like something is standing behind me. When I try to look, all I find is the dark. I can’t see anything!

“H-hello?” I say, almost like a whisper, a bit too scared to get an answer.

Thankfully, I do not.

I want to find the child crying down here, not a random…’whatever’ that all of a sudden appears out of nowhere.

A shiver runs up my spine and I try again to make a fire.

Again, nothing.

“Excuse me,” I call out to the crying voice. “Just...keep making noises! I am coming to you!”

I take small baby steps; careful to not fall onto any old skeletons that are down here.

Seriously, why can I not make any source of light right now? Now of all times would be the best use of it!

Keeping my hand in front of me as I walk, I almost scream when my hand touches something.

It was just one of the many stone pillars here.

I hug it and edge my way around it until the crying can be heard directly behind me.

“Everything is okay!” I say to the child. “I will get you out in just a second! Only need to find my way to you first.”

The crying stops.

Perhaps my words have calmed them down.

Why is this place so big? How many people were needed down here? Surely the city was not full of crazy criminals. Whoever built this place must have been paranoid.

“When we get out of here, I will help you find your parents,” I say. “Does that sound alright with you? There is no need to be afraid!”

I wait for the child to hopefully speak. Mostly to figure out how close I am to them now.

Still no answer.

Biting my lip, I walk straight forward until I reach the next pillar.

That is when I hear the footsteps.

At first I think it is the child. Perhaps they are trying to reach me for the middle ground!

I am about to speak to try and help them, but then I swear the footsteps sound as though there are multiple people.

“Hello?” I say, slightly worried. “Who is there?”

The only answer I get is silence.

The footsteps now sound like they are also behind me. How many people are down here?

A sound of a cell door slamming open echoes around me! That in turn, does make me scream.

All of a sudden, strange orange lights appear out of nowhere. They are small spheres that give off a soft glow. They light up small patches around them.

Since they barely give off any light at all, I still cannot see anything. Not even the ones who have created the lights.

Whoever it is, I have a feeling they are not good.

One of the lights is coming in my direction.

Quietly, I back away to hide behind a pillar and stay away from the light.

“Where are you?” A voice says in a teasing voice. “Come out and save us!”

The only reason I do not listen is because of how sinister they sound right now.

“You have something that belongs to us,” They say. “Just give it back and we won’t hurt you!”

Gulping on the bubble in my throat, I stay silent and cover my mouth to keep from breathing too loud.

“Come on out, little Star,” Their voices whisper. “Come out and talk to us! We promise we won’t hurt you.”

My whole body feels like it is shaking and I chance a peek for my surroundings.

Looking at the floor, I see that an orange light is right behind my pillar and moving around it.

Biting my lip, I edge around the pillar in the same time that the light it. Something just tells me that if I were to get caught in it, I will be done for!

When the light passes on, I let out a small breath of relief.

“Oh! We hear you, little Star,” They laugh. “Does that mean we are close?”

The lights all start to come in my direction.

Quickly, I run the opposite direction.

I keep a hand in front of my to make sure I don’t run face first into a pillar or wall.

“Don’t run from us,” They call. “You give back what you have stolen!”

Their footsteps are pounding behind me. It sounds like an elephant running!

When I realize that they are gaining up on me, I duck into a cell to hide.

Once I am in, I pull myself into a corner by the door, hoping to stay out of the light as it passes by. It is barely an inch from touching the toe of my boot.

I take this moment to rest and calm my breathing.

My eyes have been watering this whole time in fear. Now that I am no longer moving, they start to fall.

I don’t even want to wipe them away, I am too scared to move my hands from my mouth because I feel like these...monsters will be able to hear my panicked breaths.

I jump when I hear the sound of a cell door slamming open! Another door is slammed open, then another, and then another.

More and more continue to open.

“Where are you?” The voices call, they sound more annoyed now. “We know you are still in here, little Star!”

Peeking out my door, I see the cells to my left being forced open. Nothing appears to be there, only the orange lights.

One is on my side, the other two are on the other side.

The closer the one on my side gets, the more scared I feel.

Deciding that this is no longer a safe place, I rush out and hide behind a pillar in front of my cell.

“Give us the necklace, Lunarico,” They say. The fact they say my name makes my blood run cold.

Looking past the pillar, I see a faint light in the distance.

It’s the stairs!

I just about bawl my eyes out when I realize how close I am to it. It is only five pillars away! Five pillars away, but with three monster lights that are on either side of this hall of cells.

Turning and pressing my back to my pillar, I close my eyes and try and take a few deep breaths to calm myself.

I can do this. I just have to reach the stairs and run out of the jail house. Then I can go back to Tobi.

Oh Tobi! I so desperately need him right now.

“Come out, come out, wherever you are!” The voices chuckle.

They sound so close right now, I swear they were right behind me.

Checking behind the pillar again, I see that the lights have gone missing. They are no longer opening cells or wandering along the sides of the pillars.

Where did they go?

Turning to look behind me, I scream as I am blinded by the three orange lights.

“There you are!” They shout at me.

I cover my face and a surge of magic pushes out in front of me.

The lights are pushed back and then I can see who has been holding the lights.

The three automatons that usually follow Raiyo around are hunched over a few feet away from me. They hold metal lanterns that hold the orange lights.

Not even thinking twice about it, I turn and run down the hallway.

“Give us back the necklace, Luno!” They shout behind me, their footsteps pounding on the ground, causing it to shake.

I do not turn back to look at them, even if the shaking ground gets stronger and stronger the closer I get to the stairs.

Hoping to give myself some time, I summon wall after wall of stone behind, trying to block off Raiyo’s servants from catching me.

I scream as the stone explodes behind me.

They are barreling their way right through it!

The shards of rock that fly out behind me, end up hitting me, some cut along my clothes and some pierce through enough to scratch along my skin.

I barely even feel it as I concentrate on reaching those stairs.

“Come on now,” They growl behind me. “Give it back!”

I swear they said that right in my ears. The ground feels as if an earthquake is going on right now!

When I finally reach the stairs, I climb up them two at a time, almost tripping over my own feet!

Not even stopping for a rest, I look back to make sure the automatons are not following me. Based on what I can barely see back in the dark, they are staring at me, not at all bothering to come out.

Even then I do not stop. I run to get out of this godsforsaken place.

When I look back in front of me, I run right into Tobias.

I end up bumping my head against his chest.

Tobias catches me before I fall backwards.

“Luno,” He exclaims. “Where the hell have you been? We have been looking for you this whole ti-why are you crying?”

He brushes his fingers against my cheeks as I stare up at him both in relief and also still in horror at what was down there.

“Can we please leave?” I beg. “I-I found the necklace but I want to leave the city now.”

Tobias’ eyes widen at the mention of the necklace, but then he gives a firm nod and wraps an arm around me to escort us out and back to where we are all camping.

Copyright © 2019 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..