Jump to content
    Justin4Fun
  • Author
  • 4,042 Words
  • 3,376 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
If you'd like to buy me a cup of coffee, a donut, a bale of hay, or a horse, visit Justin's Ranch

Lone Wolf Ranch - 1. Chapter 1

Connor


“I don’t want to move to fucking Montana!!!”

Sean MacTaggart slapped his son across the face and said, “Connor Faolan MacTaggart, you watch your language! I understand you might not like it, but you will not use that kind of language around your mother. Are we clear?”

Connor was stunned. His father rarely spanked him, and he could not remember a time he had been slapped. Connor turned and ran to his room. He slammed the door, then flopped back on his bed. He glared up at the ceiling. Life already sucked, and now it was getting worse. Everyone at school teased him for his appearance. He was the shortest boy in his class. All the boys in his gym class were well into puberty except him. Now he had to move and try to fit in with a crowd of kids he had never met. None of them would want to be his friend. No one ever wants the runt.

There was a knock on his door, and Connor heard his mother say, “Connor? Dinner is on the table.”

Connor jumped up and said, “Coming, Ma.” He must have dozed off. The argument with his parents happened right as he came home from school, and dinner wasn’t until 6 pm. He rushed into his bathroom and quickly washed his face and hands. He stared at himself in the mirror for a moment, sighed, then thought, ‘My higher power is doing this for a reason, and I have to either accept it or find a way to change it.’

He walked into the dining room and kissed his mother on the cheek as he said, “I’m sorry, Ma.” He sat in his chair and turned to his father, saying, “I’m sorry for my outburst, Da. Why do we have to move?”

Sean nodded and said, “We understand your reaction, and we’re sorry too. We didn’t handle explaining this in the best way. Let me try again. Your Ma’s grandfather, Shamus O’Faolan, wants you to come and learn how to run his ranch. He wants to leave it to you when he dies.”

Connor felt the frustration rising. They wanted him to give up his home. The home he had lived in for all of his fourteen years. The only home he had ever known. He wanted to scream and yell, but he took a breath and said, “I can’t run a ranch. I can’t even ride a horse. I don’t know anything about ranching.” He wanted to add, ‘It’s not fair!’ but he knew that life wasn’t always fair.

Sean finished chewing, then said, “That’s why Granda Shamus wants you to come to live there. He can teach you everything you’ll need to know.”

His mother smiled, saying, “You don’t remember, but you have met him. Well, I should say he has met you. He was there the day you were born. You were named for him. I feel bad that we’ve never taken you to visit him.”

‘Why me? Can’t he curse someone else with the stupid ranch? Or can we sell it and have the money?’ Connor thought. But again, he took a deep breath and asked, “Isn’t there anyone else he could give it to? What if I don’t like ranching?”

Maureen MacTaggart took her son’s hand, saying, “Granda said he knew the day you were born, the ranch was to be yours. I’m not sure why he can’t leave it to one of Uncle Tiernan’s grandkids, but just give it a try. If you hate it, we’ll talk to Granda about options.”

Connor sighed, then nodded at his ma. He turned to his dad and asked, “Tell me more. Where is this ranch?”

Sean said, “The house is outside Havre, Montana, and the ranch is just over ninety thousand acres, and several other ranches fall under his control. You’ll find out all the details when you get there.”

“When I get there? You’re not coming?” Connor asked, concerned.

Maureen shook her head as she said, “Not right away. I will have to get licensed in Montana, and Da will have to apply to the bar there. Then, it will take a while to pack our things. I told Granda we would join you by Thanksgiving.”

Connor ate a bit, then asked, “Are you going to sell the house?”

Sean laughed and shook his head. “No, we can rent this house to university students through an agency. I’m sure we’ll make enough to cover the mortgage payment and taxes, plus a little extra.”

Connor ate some more, mulling things over in his head. His face lit up as he looked at his father and asked, “If I’m going to be a rancher, I’ll need to have my own horse, right?”

Sean grinned as he said, “Ya sure will, boyo. What say you and I sit down after dinner and see if we can find one for you?”

Once he had cleared the table and helped his Ma with the dishes, Connor sat and watched as his dad pulled up several websites that listed horses for sale. After reading a few listings, Connor asked his dad what a gelding was. When he heard the answer, his hands instinctively fell to his groin to protect his most prized possession. After two hours of searching, Connor was sure of two things. One, he wanted his horse to be either palomino or buckskin, as these two colors were the most stunning, in his opinion. And two, he had no idea what breed or prior training his horse needed. They bookmarked several horses Connor thought were pretty, then started researching breeds and temperaments. After three more hours of research, they concluded that a Quarter Horse or a Mustang would be best.

It was almost midnight when Connor and his father stopped their search. They decided they would make their phone calls in the morning. Connor kissed his parents, then headed to brush his teeth. He undressed, then knelt and said a prayer. “I’m grateful I made it another day clean and sober. I’m grateful that Da and Ma love me enough to let me be who I am. I’m grateful for being alive. I’m grateful for whatever doors are opening in my life.”

Connor stood and climbed into his bed. He didn’t think he could sleep, as his mind was racing with images of the horses they had looked at, his concept of what life would be like on a ranch, and what his Ma’s Granda would be like. Connor was wrong. He was asleep less than three minutes after climbing into bed.

The next morning Connor made his way to the kitchen dressed in his cooking uniform, which means he was wearing nothing but his favorite apron. Connor always cooked breakfast on the weekends, and this Saturday morning, he made scrambled eggs with cheese, onions, and dill, maple sausage links, and hash browns with onions, ham, and cheese mixed in. He set out the milk, orange juice, and coffee for his parents. Maureen smiled as she walked into the kitchen and started setting the table. She loved how much her son enjoyed cooking and encouraged him to expand his abilities by experimenting with food combinations. When they had finished eating, she sent Connor and his father away, saying she would do the clean-up.

Sean picked up the phone at the computer and dialed the number for the first horse on their list. After a short conversation, he hung up and said the gelding had been sold. Next, Sean called a ranch in Nebraska with a reputation for raising and training extremely gentle horses. Unfortunately, he learned that they only sold their horses through in-house auctions. The next one wasn’t scheduled until July.

Sean looked at his son, smiled, and asked, “Third time’s a charm?” He put the phone on speaker and dialed the number in South Dakota.

When the line was answered, they heard “Last Stand Ranch, Matt Custer speaking. How can I help you?”

When Sean pointed at him, Connor cleared his throat and said, “Mr. Custer, my name is Connor MacTaggart. Da says I need to get my own horse. Is that palomino mare you’re advertising still available?”

“She is. Is this going to be your first horse, Connor?”

“Yes, sir. Does that matter?” Connor asked, concerned.

“It does, and it doesn’t. Our horses are part of our family, and we like to know they will be loved when they leave us. Owning a horse isn’t like having a dog or cat. A horse takes quite a bit of time. Where are you from?”

Connor looked at his dad, and when he nodded, he said, “We live in Fort Collins, Colorado now, but I’m moving to Ma’s grandfather’s ranch in Montana. The horse will live there with me. Ma says it’s near Havre, Montana.”

“How long have you been riding? And how old are you?” Mr. Custer asked.

“I’ll be fifteen in January, sir. I’ve never ridden before. Ma says Granda and my Uncle Tiernan can teach me.”

“Hold on a minute, Connor. Let me talk to my brother a minute.”

Sean and Connor could hear Mr. Custer speaking to someone but couldn’t understand the conversation. They did hear the words ‘teach’ and ‘conditions’ and the names ‘James and Colt’. After several minutes, they could tell they had been put on speaker.

“Connor, I’ve put you on speaker. My brother and my husband are here with me. Are your parents around so that we can speak to them?”

“I’m Sean, Connor’s father. We’ve had you on speaker as well. I’ve heard everything so far. What can I do for you, Mr. Custer?”

“Please, call me Matt. This mare is extremely intelligent and well-trained. She could be a good first horse for the right rider. The issue is that horses have personalities. We would hate to sell her to you only to find that she doesn’t like Connor.”

“Matt, I appreciate your concerns, and I can hear how you love your horses. At the risk of upsetting my wife, I have a proposition. I assume you offer lessons and boarding or are you exclusively a breeding facility?”

“James Custer speaking, sir. We offer lessons, and I like where you seem to be headed. If you and Connor, or just Connor, would like to come and spend some time, we could teach him to ride, and we can see how they get along. We have several options if they aren’t a match, including a horse rescue affiliated with the ranch. I’m sure we can find a horse for Connor.”

Sean looked at his wife, and, seeing her nod, said, “I hate to impose on you gentlemen, but Connor’s school year ended yesterday. Could you schedule him on such short notice? How long will he need to be there, and can you recommend a hotel convenient to your ranch?”

Matt said, “We have plenty of space. He can stay here. I will email you a form allowing us to authorize medical treatment. Please sign it and have it notarized. He should be fine, but accidents do happen. Normally, a week to ten days of training should be long enough. We’ll know more after the first few days.”

“Colt Custer here, Sean. May I ask for your Granda’s phone number? I want to learn a little about where the horse will live if that’s alright with you.”

“I can email it to you, or we can call him when Connor and I arrive tomorrow afternoon if that’s not too soon?” Sean said, looking at his wife and seeing her nodding her agreement.

“We’ll see you tomorrow then. We look forward to meeting you, Connor.”

When the call ended, Connor looked at his Da and grinned. “Am I really going to learn to ride and get my own horse?”

Sean nodded, saying, “Yes, and we have a lot to do before you go.” Sean turned to his wife and said, “Do you want to take him, or should I?”

Connor looked at his parents and asked, “Take me where?”

Maureen handed Connor a list as she said, “Granda was clear that you were to have everything on this list. I tried to tell him you already have jeans, but he insisted that the ranch was paying for your work clothes and that you should get what you can here. He will get you what we can’t find once you’re there.”

Connor looked at the list and was shocked. Seven pairs of Wrangler Pro Rodeo jeans, fourteen tee shirts, seven flannel long sleeve shirts, seven cotton long sleeve shirts, and the list went on, listing an entire wardrobe, including boots, socks, and underwear. At least he didn’t specify what style of underwear. He needed three pairs of boots, three different types of coats, and two felt cowboy hats. He looked up from the list with a grin and said, “Well, if he’s paying for it, I suppose I can be generous and accept it all. Did he say anything about colors or anything?”

Maureen shook her head, saying, “He emailed that, and I printed it. Considering he was specific about the brand of jeans, and the styles of coats, I would assume that anywhere he left room for choice, you’re free to do as you please. Do you want Da to take you to The Tack Shack? Or should I?”

Connor looked over the list again and thought for a moment, then said, “Let’s look online at The Tack Shack and Boot Shed. I can put together what I want; then we can just drive by and pick it up.”

“That seems like a wise plan, and it will work for most of these things. But you run into a problem with boots and hats fitting properly. How about we look at styles online, and you write down a few choices? Then we can go try things on. As he said, if you can’t find what you like here, you can always get it in Montana.”

Connor nodded his agreement and sat to browse boots and hats. While browsing, he started to understand Granda’s reasoning for being so specific about some items on his list. A pair of rubberized work boots for working in the mud or barns, and two pairs of cowboy boots so he had a spare pair if one got wet. A waist-length work coat for regular working days and an oilskin duster for riding in the rain. He wondered why he had specified Wrangler jeans, so he searched and found that most people considered them the most durable jeans for ranch work. This caused him to do similar searches about shirts, and he used the results to guide his choices.

Connor was comparing cowboy hats and had done a few searches when he made a decision. He looked up and asked, “Ma, may I call Granda?” When his mother gave him the number, Connor took a second to compose his thoughts, picked up the phone, dialed, and waited.

“Lone Wolf Ranch, Shamus speakin’.”

Connor cleared his throat and said, “Granda? This is Connor, your great-grandson. I have some questions; if you have a minute?”

Connor could hear the smile as Shamus said, “Of course I have time for you, boy. What is it that you’re wonderin’?”

“Well, on the list you sent, you were specific about which jeans to get, which coats, and what type of boots. I figured out why on most of it. You said felt cowboy hats. I figured you want me to get felt cause Montana doesn’t get very hot and felt will hold water so I can water my horse or myself. The problem is that most of the hats I’m finding have liners, so water would ruin them, right? And do I get 4x or 10x or what? Is one brand better for ranching than another? I don’t know much about hats.”

“If you put this much work into choosing a hat, it would seem that the ranch will be in good hands. You’re right. When I was a boy, we would use our canteen and our hat to water our horses when there was no water handy. Now we carry a folding bucket for that. You just pick a hat or two that will keep your head warm and dry and keep the sun off your face.”

“That makes sense, I guess. What about the x’s?”

“Don’t go wastin’ yer money on no 4x hat, boy. Get an 8 or 10; it’ll last ya longer. Anythin’ else yer wonderin’?”

Connor thought for a moment, then said, “I’m getting a horse. Da’s taking me to a ranch near Rapid City, South Dakota tomorrow. They’re going to teach me how to ride, and I’m getting a horse from them. Should I get a saddle, chaps, and bags and all that stuff?”

“Whoa, slow down there, buddy. Lots of places say they can teach you to ride, but not many can teach you how to be a horseman. I would rather you come up here not knowin’ nothing rather than come up here with bad habits already started. Let me talk to your Da for a minute.”

Connor gave the phone to his father and returned to his online shopping. He had picked out three hats he liked and added them to his list when his Da hung up the phone.

“Shamus said he’s going to call Mr. Custer while you and I go pick up your things. When we get home, your Ma will know if I’m driving you to Rapid City or Havre.” Connor’s face fell until Sean added, “Shamus knows you want a palomino or a buckskin, and he said not to worry.”

As they were backing out of the driveway, Connor suggested they start with Boot Shed, as they had his first choice for both boots and hats. He was happy to find they had his boot choices in stock in his size. He was not happy to find that none of the hats he liked came in a size small enough for his head. After going through the choices available, Sean suggested they look at The Tack Shack before he bought a hat. Connor agreed, so they paid for the jeans, shirts, boots, and boot socks and headed north on US-287.

After a short drive, Connor asked, “Why are you turning here, Da?” When he looked at the building, his eyes shot open in surprise as he asked, “Am I getting a phone?”

Sean smiled as he parked and said “Your ma and I were going to wait until Christmas, but with everything that’s happening, I think we should do it now. What do you think?”

Connor thought for a moment, then said “I think we should check with Granda to make sure I’ll have service on the ranch.”

Sean stared at his son for a minute, impressed that the teen had considered such an important factor, then said “Already done, that’s why we’re at this store. Our phones are with the other carrier. This one has coverage everywhere you’ll be, at least that’s what Shamus says. He told us to add your phone to his plan.”

Thirty minutes later, Connor and Sean were back in the truck and headed to The Tack Shack. Sean was driving as Connor was setting up his preferences and adding new ringtones. His first call was to Granda, to thank him for the phone. His second was to his Ma, just because.

They entered The Tack Shack and Connor’s eyes were immediately drawn to the huge poster on the wall. On it was a buckskin horse with a light tan saddle with various parts in blacks and tans that matched the horse. Connor thought the effect was stunning and he was sure that was the look he wanted. He was sure until he saw the other poster of a palomino with a saddle that had golden and tan accents, again perfectly matching the natural colors of the horse. He sighed and realized he was getting ahead of himself again. He pulled out his new phone, snapped a picture of each of the posters, then turned and headed for the hats. Connor was glad he hadn’t just settled for what the Boot Shed had in stock. He found two hats he loved and was happy to learn that they came in his size, as well as adult sizes, so he could wear the same style of hat his entire life if he wanted.

When they got home, Connor unpacked all the things he had bought and removed the tags. He then sorted and loaded things into the washing machine. Once the washer was started, he went to the kitchen and made bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches for his parents and himself. He put the sandwiches on the kitchen table, along with three glasses of iced tea, then stepped into the living room to say that lunch was ready.

Maureen smiled at Connor as she sat. “Thank you for making lunch, sweetie.” She ignored Connor’s look of indignation as she continued, “Granda called while you were out. He said he spoke with Mr. Custer and discussed the things he wanted you taught. He feels comfortable with their trainers’ abilities so we will be driving you up to the Last Stand Ranch tomorrow. Did you get everything on that list?”

Connor shook his head and said “I got everything for summer, but some of the winter items weren’t in stock. I expect Granda has a store that he deals with where I can get what I am missing.”

Ma nodded and said, “When I was a girl, there were several stores in Havre. And Granda thought nothing of making a trip to Great Falls if he needed something.”

Sean picked up his plate and looked at Connor, saying “I’ll clear the table. You get your things packed while your new clothes are in the wash. We want to leave very early in the morning.”

Connor cocked an eyebrow suspiciously and asked, “Just how early is very early?”

“I want to be on the road by 4 AM. We’ll stop for breakfast in Cheyenne, then get to the ranch around noon.”

“Four? In the morning? You’re kidding, right? No one wakes up at four.” Connor exclaimed.

Sean laughed as he said, “I think you’re going to find that the day on a ranch starts about that time. Anyway, your Ma and I have to turn around and drive all the way back. We’d like to get some sleep before work on Monday.”

Connor shrugged, then headed for his room. His mother soon joined him, and they spent the afternoon packing boxes. After clearing the dishes, Sean began moving the filled boxes to the garage. He put the ones Connor wanted to take with him in the back of the truck. The ones to be moved with their things he stacked in the corner. He stacked other boxes, filled with things to be donated to charity, along the wall, and he stacked the trash along the opposite wall. When everything was packed, Connor carried the last box to the garage and was amazed at how large the charity and trash piles were.

After a quick dinner of pizza from the national chain, Connor showered, then kissed his parents goodnight. When he grumbled again about waking up at 4, Sean made a point of correcting him that they were leaving at 4, so wakeup would be at 3:30. Connor rolled his eyes and headed for his room where he knelt, said his gratitude prayer, and climbed into bed. Sleep didn’t come as easy as last night, but when he finally drifted off, the image of three horses, running through the snow, filled his dreams.

The palomino, he thought, was the one from Last Stand Ranch, but he had no idea who the buckskin and cremello were. From the way they interacted as they played in the snow, Connor got the impression the buckskin was in charge. The last thing he remembered was a large black wolf, standing on the ridge, watching the horses play, almost as if he were guarding them.

Copyright © 2023 Justin4Fun; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 37
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

6 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

One puzzling thing however is a very distinctive 'speech' pattern which appears to be more than a little Irish, with repeated references to "Da", "Granda", "Boyo" and others. So either Connor's entire family are recent emigrates, or the author is from Eire. 

All shall be revealed, but I was born in WV, and live in Ohio...

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Justin4Fun said:

All shall be revealed, but I was born in WV, and live in Ohio...

Okay, so Spidey-sense failed. Hmm, so avatar is less growl more?  Confused Wolf GIF

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Haha 5
Link to comment

Not a prob, and feel free to hit me up anytime. That area is amazing, ranchers, rail workers, wild fire fighters, and underground cities in almost every town across US2. Omg, and the dig sites. Archeologists wet dream, whether it's dinosaurs, ice age, or cultures. The Bear Paw Mountains is almost as awesome as the Boundary Waters. Although being raised in Wisconsin definitely spoiled me on water other states consider "good" swimming holes. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Aww, Connor is a sweetheart. I like the he invests himself into his future, even an unknown one, deferring to his parents' advice.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..