Jump to content
    Katya Dee
  • Author
  • 1,110 Words
  • 843 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Whale - 23. Part III, chapter 7

- VII -

 

It was Thursday night, almost ten in the evening, and I was lying on the couch, my head in Faith's lap. I was almost dozing off, thinking that we had three more days of bliss, when my cell phone started to ring. I pulled it out of my pocket and flipped it open without even looking at the screen.

"Hey," I muttered, thinking that whoever the hell this was, they should spill whatever they needed to spill and leave me alone.

"Luke? Luke, is that you?"

"Uh huh," I opened one eye. I had no idea who it was. Some girl.

"Luke, it's Roxy. Roxy Weiss...? From your class...?"

I opened my second eye just so I could roll both of them.

"Yes, Weiss," I said. "It's hard to believe, but I actually know who you are... What do you want?"

She sounded really weird and I sat up. Faith gave me a puzzled look and I shrugged. Oh Jesus, I thought. Roxy is friends with the whale... She is going to tell me that the whale hung herself... I closed my eyes and opened them immediately when she asked:

"Have you checked your school e-mail yet?"

That's why she is calling me at ten in the evening? What is wrong with you, people!

"No," I said with annoyance. "I only check it in school... Why?" I demanded.

I swear to God, if she'll say the words 'chain letter,' I will kill her...

"Ummm," she said very uncomfortably. "You might wanna take a look at your e-mail, Luke..."

I rolled my eyes again and got up.

"Weiss," I grumbled while turning on my laptop. "It better be worth it... If this is some stupid joke..." I shoved the phone between my shoulder and my chin, and quickly typed in my e-mail address and a password.

"Luke," Roxy muttered. "You see it yet?"

"No," I said with annoyance. "It's loading... By the way, what the hell am I looking for?"

She sighed.

"You'll see it," she said quietly.

Finally, the damn window popped to life, and I clicked on the inbox.

"Hold on," I muttered. "I have tons of crap in here..."

"The newest one," Roxy said in a colorless voice.

I frowned. The newest one said, "ATTENTION, EDUCATORS!!!" What the hell... I clicked on it and read the first two lines. Then I think I either fell very gracefully or I just sat really slowly on the chair.

"Son of a bitch..." I muttered. "Weiss, I'll call you back..."

I shut the phone and stared into the screen of my computer. No freaking way...

"What is it?" Faith asked with a frown. "Luke, you look extremely weird right now..."

She got up and walked to me. She looked into the screen from behind my shoulder and became so silent that for a second, I was afraid that she was going to pass out or something. She didn't. She just stared at the computer like I did a couple of minutes ago. I was about to say something, when suddenly, another sickening thought hit me.

"Hold it..." I muttered feverishly. "Hold it..."

I clicked on the link that said Show Details that was right underneath my e-mail address, and when I saw the damn details, I couldn't breathe. She sent it to every single person in the goddamn school, including the janitor.

"Oh my God..." I muttered weakly, and Faith slowly sat on the floor.

I flipped open my phone and found Roxy's phone number. Thank God for caller I.D. huh?

"Hello," she answered almost immediately.

"Weiss..." I croaked. "Roxy, it's Luke."

"Yeah..." she muttered. "I would've called you sooner, but I just decided to check my e-mail, like, fifteen minutes ago... Luke, I couldn't believe she would actually... Oh, God..."

"What..." I cleared my throat. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"Luke, she suspected since, like, November... Maybe even before that, I don't know."

I couldn't say a single word. I just listened.

"She told me about it in the middle of November..." Roxy kept saying quietly. "I told her to just drop the whole thing; I told her that even if it's true, it's none of her business... Jesus, Luke... I should've told you... I am sorry."

"Where does she live?" I finally asked, and Faith just looked at me.

"Why?" Roxy sounded scared. "Luke, what are you going..."

"Where... Does... She... Live?" I repeated very evenly.

"Luke..."

"I am not going to hurt her," I said quietly. "Where the hell does she live, Roxy?"

She sniffled and told me.

"Thanks," I said numbly and shut my phone.

I stared at the wall for several minutes. Neither Faith nor me said a single word. I was still trying to grasp the fact that it wasn't a joke of some sort. I couldn't believe it. Why the hell would she do it? Because I told her that I didn't care about her? Or because I called her a different name? Or both? Jesus, did she even realize what she was doing to Faith?! I dropped my phone and slid off the chair, next to Faith.

"Look," I pulled her close to myself. "There is a chance that I can fix it, okay? First of all, I am sure that nobody read it yet... If I get the whale to send another e-mail that says it was a joke, then..."

"No," she said calmly and I blinked. "The cat is out of the bag, Luke. And frankly, I feel somewhat relieved... I am scared as hell, but also relieved..."

I knew exactly what she was talking about. I was scared too. Not for myself. Like, really, what are they going to do to me? Please...! No, I was scared for Faith, because if this thing blows up -- which it will, goddammit! -- then Faith is finished as a teacher. But at the same time, I felt like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I didn't have to hide my feelings for Faith anymore.

I sighed and carefully kissed her mouth. She immediately kissed me back and I felt better. I held her for almost an hour, and then realized that I needed to go and talk to the whale. The very thought of her made my blood boil.

"I have to go to the whale's," I muttered and Faith nodded.

She didn't say stuff like, "Don't hurt her" or, "I'll go with you" or, "Luke, don't go there, it'll make everything worse." She just nodded. I loved her even more right now if that was possible.

 

 

 

 

©Katya Dee. All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Luke took this much better than expected. I don't see what confronting Amy will accomplish.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..