Jump to content
    Katya Dee
  • Author
  • 1,262 Words
  • 1,398 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Whale - 5. Part I, chapter 5

- V -

 

That night I almost asked my mother what would happen if a teacher and a student would get romantically involved, but then thought better of it. My mother would immediately think that I had some insane crush on one of my teachers, and no matter how hard I would try to convince her otherwise, she'd never believe me. And since I didn't have any friends, I did the next best thing I could think of -- I went on internet.

After a couple of hours of research, I knew that if the student was underage, then teacher would be charged with molesting a minor and would most definitely go to jail without any hope to be rehired ever again as an educator. If the student was eighteen, however, then the teacher would most probably get fired, and get a pretty much permanent black marker in their resume for the rest of their life. I was wondering how old Luke was. Then my ears started to burn. Oh my God... First of all, I was probably seeing things, considering how hungry I was. And even if I didn't, would I really want Connor to get in trouble because of something that I thought looked like flirting?! I liked Connor; I loved her! I hated Russell's guts! I almost started crying. What is wrong with me? There is no way in hell that I could be in love with that jerk! I mean, I only knew him for what, several days? And he made my life so miserable that my head was aching the minute I as much as thought of him.

I looked at the clock. It was a little after ten. Suddenly, I made a firm decision and it surprised even me how sure I was about following it through. I got up and started rummaging through my closet. Finally, I found an old T-shirt and an old pair of sweat pants that looked like they would fit me. I quickly changed into that horrendous-looking outfit and went downstairs.

My mother's eyes became wide when she saw me.

"Amy," she said carefully. "What on earth are you wearing?"

"Mom," I sighed deeply. "I am going for a run."

She stared at me silently.

"It is rather late, don't you think?" she asked finally, and I rolled my eyes.

"That's the point," I said, putting on my sneakers. "You don't think I would like to be seen by anyone, while I am trying to make an idiot out of myself, do you?"

She blinked.

"I see your point," she nodded finally. "Amy, please don't go too far... Want me to go with you?"

"Mom," I growled. "It's not like we live in some ghetto neighborhood! Plus, I don't even think I'll be able to run for a long time. I will be back in less than half an hour, okay?"

"Okay," she said and bit her lower lip. "Just don't go too far..."

"I won't," I promised, thinking that even if I ran down the street butt-naked, nobody in their right mind would get anywhere near me. That would probably traumatize them for life.

I ran for almost twenty minutes, and felt like I was going to die. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't think, I couldn't even stand. I sat down on the curb and closed my eyes. I could see yellow and red circles floating wildly in the dark and it made me nauseous. I opened my eyes and winced when breathing actually hurt. Then my entire body started to itch wildly.

"What the hell..." I muttered, trying to ignore the feeling like I was bitten by a thousand of very angry ants. "Ugh!"

Finally, after ten minutes or so, I was able to breathe without much pain, and my body didn't itch as much. I got up, and first, thought of running home, but then realized that my legs were shaking so badly that I would probably collapse on the ground if I tried running. So I walked. My mother was waiting for me on the front porch, with her usual cup of tea and a long slim cigarette. My mother smoked for as long as I could remember, and it didn't even bother me anymore.

"Amy!" she exclaimed when she saw me. "I was worried, honey!"

"Took me longer than I thought," I said, huffing and puffing.

She stabbed her cigarette in the ashtray and hugged my sweaty shoulders.

"Honey," she said quietly. "I am so proud of you and your willpower, you have no idea!"

That made me feel a lot better. I smiled at her.

"Thanks, mom... It's going to take a long time though..."

"Not as much as you think," she shook her head. "If you stick to your diet and exercise, you'll be the healthiest person ever very soon!"

I smiled again, grateful that she said, 'healthiest' and not 'skinniest.' I mean, I knew that I looked disgusting, but I really didn't want to hear it from her. Every time she'd say that I needed to cut down on hamburgers, she would never say, "You are getting fat." She would always say, "I am worried about your health, Amy!" Sometimes I wondered if my dad was out of his freaking mind when he left her for Sarah. I mean, my mom was the best!

I took a long shower and couldn't believe how relaxed and sleepy I was afterwards. I thought that all the running would make me restless and hyper, but it was completely the opposite. I went to bed that night and murmured softly to myself, talking to my imaginary friends again. I knew that it was bothering my mom if I did it in public, so I only did when I was alone.

"You are thinking of Russell again," one voice said tiredly.

"Uh huh," I said without opening my eyes.

"Jesus, Amy... The guy is a jerk!"

"Uh huh..."

"Admit it, the only reason you are thinking of him, is because you thought he was flirting with Connor!"

"Oh, please!" the other voice snorted contemptuously. "Thought? He was totally flirting with her!"

"He was," I agreed.

"So what if he was?" that was the reasonable voice again. "What's the big deal? She is twenty-two, he is eighteen..."

"Whatever!" The sarcastic voice snorted again. "He is seventeen, I bet you anything!"

"Fine," the reasonable voice sighed. "He'll be eighteen soon. Plus, they only talked, for crying out loud! He was doing her a favor with the jumper cables and he gave her a cigarette... Big deal!"

"They were flirting," the sarcastic voice repeated stubbornly.

"They were," I agreed again.

"So what if they were?" the reasonable voice sounded annoyed now. "What is it to you, Amy? Please, don't tell me that you have a crush on him! The guy is a jerk and you hate his guts!"

"I do," I sighed and rolled on my side.

"So?" the reasonable voice sounded very puzzled, and I almost laughed. Dear God! Maybe I do belong in a mental institution!

"If he wouldn't talk to Connor, you would never even think about him this way, would you?" the reasonable voice asked.

"I don't know..." I muttered sleepily. "Maybe I would..."

"Just lose all your weight," the not-so-reasonable voice whispered hurriedly. "Get skinny and pretty, and he'll forget all about Connor, okay?"

"Yeah," I smiled. "I like that plan..."

"Jesus, Bauer!" the reasonable voice almost exploded. "This is crazy!! This is..."

"Oh, shut up," I muttered and fell asleep.

 

 

©Katya Dee. All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

On one level, good for Any to stick with the diet and begin exercising. On another, it's bad to be attracted to a jerk. It never ends well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

it's bad to be attracted to a jerk. It never ends well.

Do they ever listen? No 😐

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
12 minutes ago, Katya Dee said:

Do they ever listen? No 😐

Sometimes they do.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

Sometimes they do.

Especially if their puppeteer manages them well😔

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..