Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 1,337 Words
  • 1,775 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Harlequin - 10. Chapter 10

The cops release Patrick in Adam's care.
Patrick thanks Adam.
Adam needs a shower.
In that order. :)

Adam watched Patrick sit with his legs sticking out of the jeep, with his head in his hands. Nothing was there. Gavin’s body, his clothes, even Patrick’s cell phone were not where he claimed they were.

Adam left Patrick sitting in his jeep as he spoke to the police officers.

“Do you know how much trouble he’s in?” asked Officer Saxon.

“Look, clearly, someone was chasing him—I saw him, he had a knife. This could be some prank at his expense. You can see he's in shock by not seeing his friend where he left him. He’s the victim.”

“Fucking college kids,” said Officer Powell.

“Come on give him a break. I’ll take him home.”

“Not until I get his full name. You wait here, Potter.” Adam wanted to protest, but knew it wasn’t his call. Officer Powell walked over to Patrick, who sat up with a blank stare on his face.

“I might let you go if you give me your full name.” Patrick glanced over at Adam to make sure he was out of earshot. Then, as if he removed a mask, he stared back at the officer in a righteous, arrogant way his father taught him.

“Patrick Valdez, son of Drusilla and Raoul Cyprus Valdez.”

“You’re…a Valdez?”

“Would you like to contact my parents, Officer Powell?”

“No, that will not be necessary,” Officer Powell said, glancing away. “Um, you’re free to go,” he said as he returned to Adam with a look of defeat. “Fine, take him.”

Adam noticed the officer seemed nervous, but didn’t want to hang around any longer. He returned to his jeep and held the door while Patrick pulled his legs in, then shut his door. Officer Powell shared Patrick’s last name with his partner. Officer Saxon, upon hearing it, raised an eyebrow.

“He’s Valdez’s kid?” asked Officer Saxon.

“Yeah and I don’t want to be on the receiving end when his daddy finds out.”

“No worries about that. His own kid tried to hide his name from us. I doubt he’ll say a word to his old man.”

**************

They rode in silence as Patrick leaned his head against his window, staring off into space. Tears stained his cheeks as he tried to conceal his pain.

“You want to talk?” Adam asked.

Silence.

“Look, I know a diner not far from here…”

“Can you take me someplace?” he asked, interrupting Adam.

“Um, sure,” Adam said, glancing at him then back at the road. “Where would you like to go?”

“To Gavin’s place. It’s not far.”

Red flags raised in Adam’s mind when he heard Patrick’s request. He wasn’t sure the other man was thinking with a clear head.

“Listen, you had a bad night and need to rest and calm down before you go and confront him.”

“Who?” Patrick asked. Adam thought he looked downright adorable when he scrunched his eyebrows together.

“Who? Um…Gavin.”

“Why would I see him there? He’s dead.”

Adam flashed a confused stare at Patrick.

“Patrick, remember—there was no trace of Gavin at the grave site. There’s a good chance he’s playing a trick on you.”

“He wouldn’t do that.”

“Then how do you explain what happened back there?”

“I don’t need to explain. Gavin’s dead, but I need to go to his apartment.”

“Okay. I’ll humor you. Why do you need to go to his apartment?”

“That’s none of your business.”

“If you want me to drive you, it is my business.”

“Than stop the jeep.”

“What? No.”

“Stop the jeep,” Patrick said in a firmer voice.

“No. You’ve just fallen out of a tree and been traumatized by some nut job.”

“So? I’m fine. Stop the jeep.”

“It’s the middle of the night. There are no cabs around here and public transportation is down for the night.”

“I can walk.”

“Patrick…” Adam wasn’t going to abandon him on the sidewalk. “Okay, you win. Where does Gavin live?”

Patrick turned away and told Adam Gavin’s address, then returned to staring out the window. Adam knew the address well—because it was right next door to his place.

***************

The Jeep pulled up to the three-story building that was identical to Adam’s. Patrick didn’t wait. He jumped out and ran to the side door leading to the apartment on the second floor, as Adam parallel parked the jeep. Patrick knew Gavin had an extra key made and had hidden it behind a false panel on the door frame that was released by double pressing the corner. Patrick grabbed the key and shut the hidden door as he heard Adam close his jeep’s door. In haste he unlocked the deadbolt, then handle, thrusting the door open. Adam was behind him and he turned to the detective, using his body to block him from entering.

“Thank you, Mr. Potter. I’ll be fine from here,” Patrick said in a stern, but drained voice, causing Adam to tilt his head with concern.

“Are you sure you want to be here right now? You lost your boyfriend, shouldn’t you maybe sleep on it someplace else?”

“Oh, Gavin’s not my boyfriend, he’s just…a friend with benefits.” Adam couldn’t help but feel a relieved.

“But you were just freaking out a moment ago…”

“True…but as you and the police stated, it was all a prank.”

“I didn’t state anything, Patrick. You were so sure your friend Gavin had been murdered. And there is that masked guy who chased you into a tree causing you to fall out of it.”

“You believe me?” Patrick's eyes lit up upon hearing Adam’s trust in him and wanted to hug him, but a pang of guilt prevented him.

“Let’s just say I’m not completely convinced that this is all a prank. For all you know, Gavin is the ring leader. But who I’m worried about is the one with the harlequin mask. Do you have any clue who it was?”

“No.”

“Maybe a friend of Gavin’s?”

“I don’t know.”

“All the more reason you shouldn’t be here. If it was a prank, it was a sick one.”

“I can handle Gavin—if he turns up.”

“Patrick…”

“Mr. Potter, Gavin and I were childhood friends. I know him. He wouldn’t hurt me.” A knot wedged in his throat from the lie he just said and he wanted to confess to the man who saved his life, but he had to face what was upstairs; he needed to be his own man. “Now I’m tired. I’m going to take a shower and go to sleep.”

“You’re sleeping here?”

“Remember no body was found. If Gavin is up there then he and I need to work this out—alone,” he said.

“Alright, if that’s what you want. Just take my card and call me if you need me to come back.”

“It is, thank you. And also,” his tone softened as he touched Adam’s forearm, “thank you for coming to my rescue. You were a perfect gentleman, and I mean that with the highest regard. Men like you are few and far-in-between, and I’m grateful for that.” Then he leaned forward, holding Adam’s arm to steady himself, and kissed him on the cheek close to his lips. “Goodnight, detective.” He stepped inside and closed the door. He placed Adam’s card in his back pocket.

Adam stood in awe, gazing at the door, wishing Patrick would open it and kiss him again. He sighed, turned, and walked the short distance to his building. He entered and took the stairs instead of the, enjoying the brisk jog up. He cut through his office and entered his apartment. He could still feel Patrick’s lips where they pressed against his face. A tingling sensation ran through his body, gathering at his privates. The firmness had to be addressed if he was going to get any sleep. He recalled Patrick saying he needed a shower and decided it was the best location to release his yearnings. He stripped bare, leaving his clothes where they landed, and headed for the bathroom.

Please let me know how you liked it with a like, comment, or both.
Thanks.
D.D. Watson 2014
  • Like 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Love the story and all the characters my only complain is that the chapters are so short. The story is so good and you get sucked in only for the chapter to end so soon. But other than that amazing story and can't wait for more chapters..

Link to comment
On 03/10/2015 01:40 PM, YadirisC said:
Love the story and all the characters my only complain is that the chapters are so short. The story is so good and you get sucked in only for the chapter to end so soon. But other than that amazing story and can't wait for more chapters..
Sorry about that. The story is in editing so I try to submit one chapter a week. Thanks for the love I will be submitting tomorrow most likely for Wednesday release.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..