Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 858 Words
  • 3,229 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Harlequin - 1. Chapter 1

This chapter opens in a Cosplay convention and introduce the reader to one of our main character Adam soon to be love interest Patrick. Who performs at the Cosplay dressed as female character and is being stalked by someone who hides behind a mask.

The Cosplay convention floor swarmed with bodies of every shapes and sizes dressed as dreamed up characters from fantasy and sci-fi genres. They hid their true identities from the world, if for a few hours.

Patrick Valdez strolled through the convention hall. His wore a flame red, shoulder length wig covering his brown locks. The traditional colors and mask of the only young female wonder, Robin from ‘The Dark Knight Returns’ comic, holding a gold retractable staff. He took in the admirers, who whispered and pointed at the various outfits of their favorite characters; Thor and Loki, Captain America and Iron Man, Wonder Woman, Gamora of Guardians of the Galaxy, various Star Wars and Star Trek characters all mingled together.

The vendor tables were stocked with books, replicas of weapons, masks, armors, dreamed up technology, statues, DVDs and more mementos a diehard fan wanted. Patrick believed he would impress the judges with his representation of the Girl Wonder in the approaching competition for best Cosplay. Patrick stopped every so often to take a photo with a devotee or another Robin. He smiled and waved as the cell phones and cameras captured their image. He tried to be civil as he pushed a wandering hand from his ass and hip ignoring their sexual offers and privileged kisses.

“Hey, Girl Wonder!” Cat called a voluptuous feline dolled up in touchable leather. She approached in spiked heels carrying a braided whip lassoed over her shoulder.

“Mia, you made it,” said Patrick in his own recognizable male’s voice, that stunned the gathered fanboys around the crime fighter, whom they thought was a female. The male admirers shrugged their shoulders not caring Patrick was a male as they watched the two masked characters hug.

“Wow, you are a sight to behold Patrick,” she said as they separated. The crowd parted as Mia and Patrick walked off together. Patrick met Mia online looking for his first Cosplay since coming back home two years ago. Her experience of the ins and outs of the events and invited him to experience a Cosplay first hand with her and he accepted.

“I considered coming as Robin Hood but figured comic superheroes were more in fashion.” Patrick pushed his satin cape that fell across his chest back behind his shoulders.

“Want to meet up after the show? That is—unless your bodyguard is here,” she said, glancing around for the brawny male that always wore a mask with his chosen costume as he hovered over Patrick. He intimidates the fanboys who were too friendly.

“He’s history; it got weird.”

“Didn’t I tell you groupies can’t be trusted?”

“Yeah, I thought he was different.”

“It comes with the territory sweetie. Anyway I got a bat to bug. Coffee later?”

“Sure, meet you in the lobby after I change around six?”

“I’ll be there, bye.”

They both turned and walked in opposite directions. Patrick had a date to keep with a few bats wanting to take photos with him and he needed to get his badge for the talent show. He had his mother to thank for getting him lessons in gymnastics to prepare him for the acrobatics he’d planned for the show.

There was a great guest panel lined up that he wanted to catch before his performance. As he moved towards the theater, he was surprised by an unexpected visitor.

“Hey Patrick.” The familiar deep voice caused him to stop and turn to see a six foot stormtrooper holding a weapon across his chest. Patrick didn’t hesitate as he knew the voice of the man he told to leave him alone.

“Do I need to guess who it is?” he asked with annoyance in his voice.

“How are you?” Patrick walked off to the side where there was fewer people, the trooper followed. When he felt, no one would hear their conversation he snapped at him, but above a whisper.

“God, it’s only been a week. You promised to give me space,” he said glancing around him.

“I know—but—I just hated how we ended.”

“I told you; you asked too much of me. I can’t— not with Gavin…”

“Gavin’s a prick who doesn’t deserve you.”

“Even if that’s true, it’s my decision when I break up with him.”

“You’ll never do it; he has too much on you.”

“That’s also my business; I should have kept my mouth shut.”

“You never had to say a word. I saw how he treated you.”

“None of that is your concern now. You need to leave me alone.” The trooper stared down at him in silence, and Patrick was bothered that he couldn’t see his face to make sure he understood. “When I move on, it will be on my terms, not anyone else. Just—please leave me alone Jay.” Patrick didn’t wait for an answer as he hurried off not looking back. He blended into the crowd and vanished from sight.

Jay the stormtrooper watched through hallow, ghostly stare of his mask as his grip tightened on his weapon so forcefully that it buckled in two places; snapping the hard plastic under his gloved fingers.

This chapter opens in a Cosplay convention and introduce the reader to one of our main character Adam soon to be love interest Patrick. Who performs at the Cosplay dressed as female character and is being stalked by someone who hides behind a mask.
D.D. Watson 2014
  • Like 19
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Interesting start to what I believe will be a good read! Diverse characters, snappy dialogue--I'm looking forward to the next chapter!

Link to comment
On 01/13/2015 08:59 AM, Robert Rex said:
Interesting start to what I believe will be a good read! Diverse characters, snappy dialogue--I'm looking forward to the next chapter!
Such kind words thank you loading the next chapter.
Link to comment

Good start to the story, Key. :)

 

I was a little confused when you described Patrick wearing the boy wonder's suit (Robin): first you described him as a girl, then you described him as being the boy wonder, then the female Robin. Unless I read the whole thing wrong. It was confusing.

 

Also, be careful of verb conjugations; you switch between the present and the past tense. For example: 'as they watched the two masked characters hugged.' It should be hug, not hugged.

'The vendor tables stocked with books, replicas, DVDs and more mementos a diehard fan could want.' It should be 'The vendor tables were stocked with books, ...'

'He took in the admirers, who whispered and point at the various clad outfits of their favorite characters.' It should be who whispered and pointed.

Those are just a few examples. Also, be careful of commas; there are a few that are in the wrong places.

 

Anyway, I don't mean to nitpick - it's a great beginning! I'm looking forward to chapter two! :)

Link to comment

Interesting start.

I had no idea what cosplay is so had to google it, perhaps you could explain that somehow in your story.

Link to comment
On 01/13/2015 02:29 PM, Lisa said:
Good start to the story, Key. :)

 

I was a little confused when you described Patrick wearing the boy wonder's suit (Robin): first you described him as a girl, then you described him as being the boy wonder, then the female Robin. Unless I read the whole thing wrong. It was confusing.

 

Also, be careful of verb conjugations; you switch between the present and the past tense. For example: 'as they watched the two masked characters hugged.' It should be hug, not hugged.

'The vendor tables stocked with books, replicas, DVDs and more mementos a diehard fan could want.' It should be 'The vendor tables were stocked with books, ...'

'He took in the admirers, who whispered and point at the various clad outfits of their favorite characters.' It should be who whispered and pointed.

Those are just a few examples. Also, be careful of commas; there are a few that are in the wrong places.

 

Anyway, I don't mean to nitpick - it's a great beginning! I'm looking forward to chapter two! :)

Thank you for your careful eye. I do have problems with grammar thank you for the tips. This is still in the rough draft so I'll work on the problems.
Link to comment
On 01/13/2015 02:55 PM, Suvitar said:
Interesting start.

I had no idea what cosplay is so had to google it, perhaps you could explain that somehow in your story.

As I'm editing I'll try to stick a conversation about it in but the drama happens in a cemetery. Cosplay is just something Patrick likes to do.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..