Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 1,639 Words
  • 1,668 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Harlequin - 16. Chapter 16

Adam wakes up next to Patrick.
Adam meet's Patrick's father.
Patrick calms his father down.

CHAPTER 16

 

Adam slowly awoke to the repetitive, generic ring of his cell. He ignored it, letting it go to voicemail, only for it to sound off again. He let out a sigh when a hand nudged his arm. He opened his eyes to see whose hand was rousing him. Patrick lay beside him, his hair a mess, dried drool on his chin, and his face scrunched up from the intruding sound. Adam watched him in awe as he climbed out of bed and located the cell in his coat pocket that lay on the floor at the foot of his bed. He answered on the fifth ring.

“Hello?” he said in the middle of a deep yawn.

“Boss?” The voice sounded familiar, but for some reason, Adam could not make the connection.

“Um yeah,” was all he could think of saying.

“I was wondering if you were ever coming down for work or if I should come back tomorrow?”

“Wait, what?”

“Work. You do know who this is?”

“Of course I do—Justin. Okay, first what time is it?”

“10:30.”

“10:30?”

“That’s right.”

“Oh man, I’ll be right down.”

“I’ll make a new pot of coffee.”

“Yes coffee would be nice, thanks.”

“No problem, boss.”

Adam hung up and turned back to the bed. Patrick had changed his position, rotating his back to Adam and pulling the blanket along with him, exposing his smooth firm ass. Adam tilted his head, enjoying the view.”

“Yes, I would love some of that.” Adam said as he took a breath and forced his limbs to move towards the shower. Sadly he washed off Patrick’s lovely scent. He returned and toweled off his wet body and stood at his dresser combing his hair. He opened a drawer and picked a long sleeved pull over top to cover his battle scars and moved to his closet and pick a pair of black jeans. Black boots completed the ensemble.

Patrick shifted again positioning himself on his stomach with his legs spread shoulder length. The sheet erased covering his midsection and exposing one leg. Adam remembered holding Patrick’s lean leg was on his shoulder a few hours ago and walked over, intending to glide his fingers down the soft skin, but changed his mind, not wanting to wake him.

Leaving him to rest, Adam ventured down the stairs to his office. When he reached his door at the bottom of the stairs, he stopped when something occurred to him.

How did Patrick know how to open the door to his apartment? He turned to go back up to ask Patrick, when shouting erupted on the other side of the door. He opened and then shut the door behind him. “The voices behind the closed door belonged to Justin and a male with a Spanish accent.”

He entered the outer office, closing the door behind him, and found Justin blocking the way of an older but handsome man in his late forties. He modeled a full auburn hair combed back from his face and a square jaw with added dimpled chin. His suit was handcrafted, and the cost of his watch could buy a trip around the world. His soft eyes latched onto to Adam’s, and stared daggers at him. The light brown eyes resembled the same pair of eyes he was looking into early that morning.

“May I interrupt,” asked Adam. Justin turned, relieved to see his employer, and stepped out of the way. He started to introduce the irate man to his boss.

“Adam Potter this is--”

“I am Raoul Cyprus Valdez, and I’ve come for my son.”

Did he just snarl at me? Thought Adam stepping closer to the taller man.

“I’m not sure why you think your son is here Mr. Valdez.”

“He called late last night asking a servant to send a car for him. Then another call from him canceling the car. I obtained an address to this…office,” he said callously looking around scrutinizing Adam’s place of business.

Adam stared speechless wondering how he was going to explain his son was ass naked upstairs in his bed. Adam turned when he heard the door opened, and a fully dressed Patrick stepped into the room and walked over to his father without making eye contact with Adam.

“Father, it’s alright I can explain this later.”

Raoul indignant manner melted away as he approached his only son and cradled his face in his palms, kissing his cheek.

“You worried us,” he spoke to his son tenderly and unashamedly.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to.”

“Were you here all night?” he asked, perplexed.

“Well—yes. Detective Potter allowed me to sleep on his couch after we had problems next door.”

“Problems?” Mr. Valdez said releasing his son. “You mean the police tape on the building next door has something to do with you?”

“Well—that’s what I need to talk to you about.” Raoul grabbed Patrick’s arm and steered him towards the door. “Wait! Father, you don’t understand…”

“Don’t say another word until we talk to Philip,” he said, moving Patrick into the hallway.

“Mr. Valdez, Patrick had nothing to do with what happened--” Adam started, but stopped in mid-sentence when Raoul turned to him as he hurried his son to the staircase.

“Your services are no longer needed, Mr. Potter.”

“Services…but—he didn’t…” They were already rounding the landing before Adam was able to finish. He was blown away at what occurred. He turned to Justin and scrunched his brow, holding his palms up.

“You do know who that was?” asked Justin, leaning on the door frame with a huge grin.

“Please enlighten me.” Adam waved him back into the office and shut the door.

“Raoul Cyprus Valdez is one of the top five wealthiest men in the world. Old money that goes as far back as five hundred years,” Justin said, returning to his desk.

“Wealthy, you say?”

“Yep and you say his young heir was sleeping on your—couch?”

Adam wasn’t going to give his smirking assistant an answer as he changed the subject.

“Is the coffee ready?”

“Sure is, boss. Want me to get you a cup?”

“No. I can do it. Thank you.”

“So what happened last night?”

“I need coffee and food first. Then I’ll update you.”

**************

Patrick sat quietly in the car while his father talked on his cell to their family lawyer, Philip Gomez.

“I want this dealt with, Philip. I don’t want to see any media on my doorstep upsetting Drusilla.”

“Judge Faith has already issued a gag order on the media. Things should quiet down by the time you get home.” Philip assured Raoul. “The police are still searching for the killer.” Philip hesitated. “My sources tell me that Patrick is a possible suspect.

Raoul’s voice rose, switched to Spanish as ranted and threatened everyone he could think of, including the police commissioner and the mayor.

“I’ll handle everything, Raoul,” said Philip.

“Keep me informed.”

“I will.” They disconnected, and Raoul returned his cell to the inside of his tailored coat pocket, sighing heavily.

The car stopped in front of one of Raoul’s office buildings. A valet was waiting to open Raoul’s door on his cue.

“We’re not going home?” asked Patrick.

“You are. I have some business to attend to. Philip will meet you at the house, and I want you to tell him everything that’s happened.”

“The police are handling it.”

“That’s why you should tell him everything. Promise me you will?”

“I will, father.”

“Also—are you having a relationship with that detective?”

“No.” Patricks’ response was swift as his father studied his son, who was hiding his thumb with his four fingers. It was a nervous habit whenever Patrick was trying to hide something from him.

“Then why did he lie about you being there?”

“I asked him to, knowing how you would react.”

“You’re involved with a murder investigation. That gives me reason to react. Maybe you should take a trip to Barcelona to visit family. They would love to see you again; or perhaps Madrid?”

“No father. I want to stay here, close you and mother. I promise to tell Philip everything, and I’ll keep a low profile until the case is settled.”

“I suppose you’ll be staying at your condo?”

“I can stay the night at the house if you want.”

“Your mother and I would like that. Alright. I’ll put the travel plans on hold…for now. Go home and reassure your mother, and I’ll see you both later tonight.”

His father cued the valet to open his door by tapping on the glass. As his orders were being followed, he kissed Patrick’s forehead and smiled his goodbye. He concealing his worries for his troubled son before stepping out of the car and walking towards his building. Patrick knew there was no point in arguing with him as the valet shut the door. He stretched out on the seat and closed his eyes, remembering that tattoo on the killer’s wrist. It’s wasn’t that unique. Lots of people get tattoos of their birth sign drawn on different parts of their bodies.

“It can’t be him,” he said out loud, alerting the driver.

“Did you say something, Mr. Valdez?” Patrick’s eyes shot open, looking towards the female driver.

“Yeah Penny, I need to get a new cell phone before we go home.”

“But, your father’s orders were to take you home, sir.”

“I know—and you will. But I really need to get a replacement for the one I lost.”

“Where would you like to go?”

“You know the new store by the convention center?”

“Yes Sir.” Penny turned the turn single on and headed in the opposite direction of Patrick’s family home. Patrick closed his eyes again, remembering his precious time with Adam Potter.

Please all enjoy and if you can leave a review or a like. Thanks
D.D. Watson 2014
  • Like 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..