Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 1,394 Words
  • 2,119 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Harlequin - 4. Chapter 4

Okay this is were Adam has his interview with Justin who is very sure of himself and shares a bit of Adam's past. Also Adam is given a surprise from his family.

They walked two blocks to reach Dean’s Diner, which became Adam’s hangout when he moved to the big city on his own. The food reminded him of home and his mom and dad’s crazy cooking styles he grew to love and miss.

They were seated in Adam’s favorite booth that sat at an angle so he could watch the door and who he was talking to. He ordered two coffees and took a selfie of himself holding his cup.

“Why did you take a picture of yourself?” asked Justin.

“For proof for my mother. It’s something me and my brothers had to do when we were out of his sight for too long.”

“That’s—nice.”

“He thinks so. So Mr. Shi…” Adam stopped in midsentence when Justin flashed a crooked stare at him which told him to best change his approach. “Okay—Justin the position I’m trying to fill is a reception job which means filing, keeping track of notes, billing, and light office duties.”

“Like making coffee?”

“Don’t knock it. It’s a very complex skill to get my coffee just right; I would have to test you a few times.”

“Okay, why not.”

“Wait, I’m giving the interview. I think I have the final okay.”

“True, but I think you’re going to regret not hiring me.”

“And why’s that?”

“I have valuable knowledge and contacts.”

“You’re nineteen with no prior work experience.”

“I fill in at my college for my professor.”

“Doing what?” Justin thought of his duties for the good professor, who once fucked him across his desk and remembered it was nothing he could brag about.

“Okay, you’re right. This will be my first job, but you will see that I’m dependable, trustworthy, and do excellent research.”

“Do you know how to use a computer with full Office, fax machine, and a printer…?” Adam trailed off, looking out the diner window and saw the hand-waving, chestnut haired male he had viewed from his bathroom window, walking past with some guy. His window fantasy was looking straight ahead, unaware that Adam was mesmerized with his being. Adam barely heard Justin’s response to his question as the young man walked out of sight.

“Yes to all of the above,” Justin said. Adam looked back at him and was relieved to see Justin with his head down texting. He swallowed a mouthful of coffee, setting his cup down and wondering if he was taking on someone who could be more of a handful than a devoted employee. Justin realized he had to step up his game to convince his potential future employer that he was the right choice for the job. “You were a cop once,” Justin began, catching Adam’s gaze.

“That’s right.”

“But you served in the military, the army, for two years then switched to the air force for another two years. You came out and went right into the police force. You rose quickly in rank and became a detective at the age of 26.” Justin had Adam’s full attention now. “You left the force and moved overseas to live in Brazil for a year. You came back and purchased this building with your older brother Damien’s co-sign.”

“Impressive,” said Adam.

“Easy,” corrected Justin. “If you want impressive I can dig deeper. Like…you were seeing a psychiatrist while oversea--”

“Enough,” Adam said without any bitterness in his voice. “Who told you that information?”

“You bother Kyle let it slip but he caught himself before saying anything else.” Adam nodded his head, seemingly in deep thought. “Look Mr. Potter, I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable. Maybe I should go.”

“I can give you a trial basis.”

“Is it with pay?”

“You are a very clever guy Justin Shi. You must have asked the right questions to get Kyle to give me up. Yes, with pay.”

“Thank you.” Justin flashed his smile, making Adam see why Kyle liked the college boy. Adam couldn’t deny he saw the sexual draw.

They drank their coffee while Justin texted someone. When he received a response, he asked for a slice of pie.

“My mom said to come back hungry,” Adam reminded him.

“Yeah, but I have been eyeing the pies ever since we came in here.”

“Okay, but you’re in for an earful if you’re too full to eat.” Adam treated them to two lemon meringue pies.

“Why do you call your dad mom?” Justin asked, shoving a bite of the lemony goodness into his mouth.

“Because, he is my mother. He performs the duties any mother would do. Some of my friends believe he’s better than their own.”

“You’re lucky.”

“Don’t you get along with your parents?”

“Let’s just say they’re a bit more do as I say not as I do parents.”

“I hope mine aren’t getting on your nerves.”

“Are you kidding? It’s nice to be noticed.”

“Well, if it gets to be a bit much for you just say and I’ll tell them to tone it down, okay?”

“Will, do Boss.”

They returned to Adam's office to find the elevator working fine. The door opened and closed with ease, which impressed Adam. When they arrived on the second floor the doors, opened not to the poorly lit hall but instead to an inviting, clean hallway with a new paint job. Potted plants were on opposite ends of the hall. Justin and he entered the office and saw a reception desk with a chair and a huge leather couch. There was even an area for drinks and a mini fridge behind the desk. Adam was stunned as he entered his office to see a desk with a high backed leather chair and all of his diplomas and licenses to on the wall behind it.

“What the fuck?” Adam whispered, ready to break down from all the emotion he was feeling.

“There’s a note for you,” said Justin, pointing towards the false wall that was Adam’s door to his apartment. There hung a loose leaf paper with the words ‘COME UPSTAIRS’ written on it. Adam opened his door and climbed the stairs with Justin following. When he reached the top, he was floored.

His once boxed up unorganized place was now completely unpacked and arranged. His bed was made, his dining table set, clothes put away, the kitchen was in order, and even his bathroom was set up. But mostly the living room with couch, coffee table, end tables and recliner were all arranged for the TV mounted on the exposed brick wall with a blue-ray player and game system all brand new displayed before him in a wooden entertainment center.

He looked towards his family, who were standing in the kitchen - minus one brother, Damien who worked long hours overseas - and embraced them.

Tears spilled down Adam’s cheeks as they shared Adam’s joy in silence. When they parted, they wiped their eyes and kissed each other’s cheeks.

“How can I thank you?” Adam babbled through his tears.

“Damien sent us a check and asked us to do this for you because he couldn’t be here. He told us to tell you that he was proud of you,” said Paul, who hugged Adam again.

“Your mother thought it best to let you set up your computers and things you wanted on your desk,” said his father.

“Thank you, thank you all.” The tears wanted to fall again, but surprisingly it was Anton, his mother, who stopped it all.

“Okay, enough of this. Who’s hungry?” he shouted. Everyone shouted. “I am.”

Justin took this as his cue to leave, but an order sent by Adam’s mother stopped him in his tracks.

“Hold it right there young man. There is no way I’m letting you leave here without a full belly. Now turn your bubble butt around and march right over here and sit down,” he ordered, moving towards the kitchen area where a round dining table was all laid out for their family meal.

Adam walked over, placed his hand on Justin’s shoulder, and smiled.

“Sorry, but when he says sit down he means sit down.”

“Okay, thanks, boss.”

“You’re not going to call me that all the time are you?”

“What else am I going to call you?”

“Later,” said Kyle stepping in between Adam and Justin and moving the younger male to the seat closest to his.

Okay this is were Adam has his interview with Justin who is very sure of himself. Also Adam is given a surprise from his family.
D.D. Watson 2014
  • Like 18
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..