Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 1,932 Words
  • 1,472 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Harlequin - 34. Chapter 34

Patrick gets interviewed.

CHAPTER 34

 

Artie talked to the bodyguard outside Patrick’s door while Adam and A.J. waited a distance away. The guard made a phone call, and Artie shot them a reassuring glance.

“Can’t believe cops need to wait for permission,” said Adam.

“Raoul Cyprus Valdez owns this city,” said A.J.

“So where was he when his son went through this hell?”

“Maybe his little boy never called out for him.”

“A.J. you’re wrong on this; Patrick didn’t plan this.”

“After we question him, we’ll know the truth.”

“A.J., Adam,” called Artie. The bodyguard stepped out of their way and allowed the three to enter the room. Adam was the first to enter. He moved quickly to Patrick’s side, who still laid soundly asleep and took his hand. Patrick opened his eyes and a smile lit up his face when he saw Adam.

“You came back,” he said in a groggy voice, squeezing Adam’s hand.

“Not even your father can keep me away from you.”

“Adam,” said A.J., interrupting.

“Yeah, I know,” Adam said, touching Patrick’s face. His eyes traveled to the spot of his injury. Patrick saw his concern and lifted his chin to lock eyes with him.

“I’m alright, Adam. The doctors said I could check out in a couple of days. I guess these detectives have some questions for me?” he asked glancing towards them.

“That’s right we do,” Artie said, coming into view.

“Adam,” Patrick said, looking from Artie to Adam. “You can stay with me right?”

“I’m not going anywhere.” Patrick settled back, feeling safe with Adam.

“Okay, go ahead,” he said, swallowing slowly.

A.J. watched Patrick for a moment before speaking up.

“You said the killer’s name in Adam’s apartment. How did you know who it was?”

“When he stabbed me I saw his wrist.”

“His wrist?”

“There was a tattoo on the inside of his right wrist. I recognized it from the night Jay showed me.”

“And when was that?”

“The night that photo you found in the store below Gavin’s apartment was taken.”

“Why would you think it was Jay’s? Anyone could have had that tattoo.”

“Jay has—had a mole in the middle of his wrist that he pointed out to me. When I saw the tattoo, my eyes just drew to the mole.”

“Did you suspect it was Jay?”

“At first I did, and I went to see him.”

“You went to see a man who killed your friend and tried to rape you?”

“I needed to be sure. I went to his job at the convention hall. It was crowded so I wasn’t alone. He didn’t have the tattoo. When I saw it again last night I saw his mole. It wasn’t on his wrist when I saw him at the convention hall. He must have used makeup to cover it up.”

“When you were attacked in Gavin’s apartment, did you see the tattoo?”

“No.”

“Are you sure?”

“I didn’t know who it was,” Patrick’s voice rose, causing a sudden bite of pain in his chest; he went to reached for his bandaged chest. Adam grabbed his hand, preventing him from bothering his stitches. A.J looked to his partner, who took over.

“All right, you say you didn’t know who it was at the time; how about at the graveyard, the first time?” said Artie.

“I didn’t know who it was,” Patrick said, feeling relief again as his pain eased.

“But you do know both men, right?”

Patrick closed his eyes trying to calm his heartrate as Adam gave both men a cold stare. He’d bide his time and wait to see where they were going with this. Patrick squeezed Adam’s hand a little tighter as he opened his eyes.

“Yes, I know them both.”

“Funny how they would just start doing this scheme?”

“I didn’t find it funny, detective.”

“Have you ever met Justin Shi before all of this?”

“No.”

“Why do you think these two men, who you knew, would decide to commit murder? What do you think they were after?”

“Well, I rejected them so maybe revenge.”

“Or maybe you promised them something.”

“I haven’t had contact with Cain since I came home.”

“Other than receiving Poe,” said A.J. Patrick ignored him.

“Jay kept telling me that I should leave Gavin to be with him. I didn’t like Jay, so I stayed with Gavin to prove to him that I didn’t want anything to do with him.”

“But he didn’t stay away,” said Artie. “In fact, Gavin invited him to several parties where you posed for pictures with Jay.”

“He wasn’t invited—Gavin used word of mouth and the information got to Jay.”

“So why not just tell Gavin Jay was stalking you?”

“He wouldn’t have cared. He would have used it to control me more.”

“Then why not tell your dad about Gavin and Jay?” asked A.J.

“He would have overreacted and sent me away to stay with family overseas.”

“You would have been free of Gavin.”

“I didn’t want my father always coming to my rescue. I wanted to handle it myself.”

“And did you handle it, Patrick? Was all this your doing?”

“No!”

“Did you promise Cain Rollins and Jay Marcel sexual favors if they killed Cain?”

“No!”

“And when Adam stepped into the picture, and you developed feelings for him, things got complicated.”

“I didn’t tell them to do anything!” Patrick gripped Adam’s hand harder.

“Maybe not tell them, maybe you—hinted at it by just complaining about Gavin to Jay, who went back and told Cain.”

Patrick hesitated. “No, I wouldn’t—not murder.”

“You were trapped in an abusive relationship and just tired.” Patrick looked at Adam, feeling doubt about his innocents.

“He said no!” said Adam, still looking at Patrick.

“Adam, we need to talk,” said Artie, closing his notebook and turning to leave.

“We’ll be right back, Mr. Valdez,” said A.J., who also left the room. Adam went to follow, but Patrick grabbed his arm.

“You’re coming back?” asked Patrick. Adam saw the fear and longing on Patrick’s face. He reached and touched his cheek feeling Patrick tighten his grip on the back of his hand.

“Of course, I am. Just let me talk to them.” Patrick nodded and freed Adam’s arm. Adam leaned down to kiss his forehead, but Patrick tilted his head back and kissed Adam’s lips. Adam didn’t want to leave him; he wanted to take Patrick back to his place and keep him safe. He left the room, closing the door.

Artie stepped to Adam in a huff.

“You’re intruding on police matters; Potter I can have you arrested.”

“You’re interviewing a wounded man and trying to get him to incriminate himself.”

“We’re conducting an investigation,” Artie said pointing towards Patrick’s room. “He has a connection to two murder suspects.”

“Yes, two stalkers who came up with a sick plan to knock off any love interest Patrick might develop.”

“No, this isn’t about stalking.”

“Then what is it about, Artie?”

“It’s about a possible love triangle between Cain Rollins, Jay Marcel, and Patrick Valdez.”

“Fuck shit.”

“Adam. Patrick was the only one in a troubled relationship with Gavin that he wanted out of. Rollins and Marcel were his protectors.”

“No way; he said he was friends with Cain, but wasn’t ready to play his sex games. And Jay Marcel was just one of the cosplayers who had a one sided interest in Patrick, but nothing more.”

“That’s what Patrick claims.”

“So where’s your proof he had any sexual connection with either man?”

A.J. stepped around Artie and approached Adam with caution.

“Adam, you’re too close to this case. We need to do our job,” said A.J.

“You mean you want to pin this on Patrick.”

“Things are just not adding up. Why suddenly do these men commit murder and keep Patrick alive? What did they expect in return for doing this? Or did Patrick convince them that he would be theirs if they freed him from Gavin? Now Gavin’s dead. Maybe Patrick wanted to be his own man and fix his mistakes and things just got out of hand.”

“Or maybe you’re both grasping at straws.”

“Okay, we’re not going to get anywhere right now, so why don’t you go have your visit, and we’ll come back later with a warrant,” said Artie.

Adam ignored Artie and turned back to the room.

“Think about it Adam,” A.J. called to him. “Cain was into some kinky sex. Why would he jeopardize his tenor to attempted rape, kidnapping, and being an accessory to murder?”

“Maybe he was sick,” Adam threw back.

“True, or maybe Patrick is accustomed to getting whatever he wanted by any means necessary and persuaded him.”

Adam looked back at A.J., whom he once loved, and wanted to smack the smug look off his face.

“You’re off the mark A.J. I don’t know how else I can say it to you,” Adam said, entering the room.

**************

The evening before Justin’s release he went to see Patrick. After Patrick gave his guard permission to let Justin in, he ordered the guard to leave them alone.

“How are you, Justin?” asked Patrick, waving his hand at the seat beside his bed. Justin walked over to the seat and glanced at it as he sat beside Patrick on his bed.

“I’m fine,” he said folding his hands and sitting them in his lap. “How are you?”

“As you can see, I’m fine. But you’re not really concerned about my health are you?”

“Not really. I want to know what you told Adam.”

“Well, considering he’s taking you back to his place to take care of you…”

“That doesn’t mean you didn’t say anything.”

“I said nothing to incriminate you, Justin.”

“You better had not. I like Adam and I want to keep working for him.”

“You mean you want to see if you can get into his bed. Well, I hate to break it to you, but you’re just not his type.”

“Oh, and the spoiled rich boy act is winning him over?”

“Since I’m the one who Adam wants in his bed and you’re just the lonely secretary, it would be in your best interest to keep your mouth shut.”

“Agreed. But one day Adam needs to learn the truth.”

“The truth. You mean you and me sleeping with countless men?”

“Gavin was blackmailing us.”

Go back to your room, Justin. Forget, and if you ever think of telling Adam about the past, make sure it stays your past and doesn’t include me, understood?”

“Yeah.”

“Good. Now get off my bed. I want to go to sleep.” Justin paused. Patrick looked at him, wondering why he hadn’t moved. “Now what?”

“Did you know they were going to kill Gavin?”

“You sound like those two detectives.”

“Did you?”

Patrick stared at Justin, remembering how they met at one of Gavin’s parties and were chosen as concubines to grant sexual fantasies. He remembered how Gavin watched and laughed as he was held down by men while they drugged him so he wouldn’t fight. He remembered Justin not needing any drugs and always being Gavin’s choice. He remembered seeing Jay, watching what was happening to him, clinging his fist.

“No, I didn’t know they were going to kill Gavin.”

Justin left the guarded room and returned to his own, regretting his dealings with Patrick, but saw no other way around than doing what he said.

Patrick lay looking at the door as it closed shut. “I didn’t know,” he said, above a whisper. “But I wanted them to.”

Patrick gets interviewed.
D.D. Watson 2014
  • Like 11
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..